RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfer Portal 2023-24 and New Signees 2024-25
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tfan

PostPosted: 04/19/24 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
UCLA.

Striplin? I see her Lady Vols page says

"Chose UT over close to 30 schools, including NC State, Oregon and UCLA."

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 04/19/24 11:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
thardy929 wrote:
Tennessee's Karoline Striplin has entered the portal. Tennessee had been one of only five P5 schools with no one in the portal (I forget the full list of five, but I think it also included Duke, Indiana, and Iowa).

Well, nice going, Coach Kim. No gets and already chased away a good one.

How do you know Striplin is leaving because she doesn't want to play for Kim Caldwell?

That's what I was thinking. Striplin has been underwhelming. Coach has had time for one on ones and individual workouts. New coach's job is to re-make the team into a winning team.

Disappointed here. Karo is never going to be world-class but she could make some solid contributions.

Caldwell has a bunch of visits/interviews lined up with portal-ites the next 2 weeks (Latham, Spearman, Dwyer, ?King) and is doing damage control with the HS players who reopened their commitments when Harper got canned.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/20/24 9:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
thardy929 wrote:
Tennessee's Karoline Striplin has entered the portal. Tennessee had been one of only five P5 schools with no one in the portal (I forget the full list of five, but I think it also included Duke, Indiana, and Iowa).

How do you know Striplin is leaving because she doesn't want to play for Kim Caldwell?

Don't know for sure, but she was Kellie's recruit. That says something to me. I am so unimpressed by the hire of Caldwell that I have hit the "pause" button on my Lady Voll fandom, first time since 1973. And mad at Danny White for hiring a coach who is basically untried at this level. One season at Marshall does not make her ready for the SEC, let alone Tennessee.

1973 was pre-Summitt. Somehow that hire of an untested coach didn't seem to bother you.

Kellie Harper was hired after having tried and failed at the P5 level. Is that really better than being untested?

That was in the beginning of her career. You FAIL to mention that also. She had more years under her belt at Missouri State, where she did damn well, If Caldwell had done that well at Marshall for that many years I might be more supportive but I don't consider ONE year at a mid-major enough to evaluate her, or all her years (what, 5?) at a D-II school to count at all.

And Karoline Striplin is not a "nothing". She really bloomed int he past year and had a 29 point game.

PostPosted: 04/20/24 9:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
thardy929 wrote:

Don't know for sure, but she was Kellie's recruit. That says something to me. I am so unimpressed by the hire of Caldwell that I have hit the "pause" button on my Lady Voll fandom, first time since 1973. And mad at Danny White for hiring a coach who is basically untried at this level. One season at Marshall does not make her ready for the SEC, let alone Tennessee.

1973 was pre-Summitt. Somehow that hire of an untested coach didn't seem to bother you.

Kellie Harper was hired after having tried and failed at the P5 level. Is that really better than being untested?

That was in the beginning of her career. You FAIL to mention that also. She had more years under her belt at Missouri State, where she did damn well, If Caldwell had done that well at Marshall for that many years I might be more supportive but I don't consider ONE year at a mid-major enough to evaluate her, or all her years (what, 5?) at a D-II school to count at all.

And Karoline Striplin is not a "nothing". She really bloomed int he past year and had a 29 point game. She was a core player and a good one. Stick with what YOU know, Mr. UConn.

PostPosted: 04/20/24 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

...did you just call the guy who regularly refers to UConn as the Hussies "Mr. UConn"? You're so far off base that you're in the next time zone over from the base.

PostPosted: 04/20/24 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

He's always been a UConn fan...

PostPosted: 04/20/24 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duplicate, sorry. Slow forum.

PostPosted: 04/20/24 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG Zakiya Robinson out of Ole Miss commits to James Madison. She was the 2023 Class 5 VA Player of the Year out of Princess Anne and a top 100 prospect. She'll have 3 years of eligibility remaining.

PostPosted: 04/20/24 1:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apologies, I know that this isn't really the place for this conversation....

FWIW, Teri Moreno had 6 years at UIndy (DII), then 4 years at Indiana State before becoming head coach at IU. Not that much different than Caldwell.

Now feel free to get back to transfers.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/20/24 2:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

FWIW, Teri Moreno had 6 years at UIndy (DII), then 4 years at Indiana State before becoming head coach at IU. Not that much different than Caldwell.

A lot different. Four years in D-I different, to be exact.

PostPosted: 04/20/24 3:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
PickledGinger wrote:
UCLA.

Striplin? I see her Lady Vols page says

"Chose UT over close to 30 schools, including NC State, Oregon and UCLA."

No, sorry I was saying UCLA is the other school with no transfers.

PostPosted: 04/20/24 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
He's always been a UConn fan...

🤣🤣🤣 Yes, Pi loves those "Hussies".

PostPosted: 04/20/24 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Indiana math says three, exactly. Not that much. Barely enough time to build a team.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/20/24 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Indiana math says three, exactly. Not that much. Barely enough time to build a team.

Four years at Indiana State somehow equals three? Even in Indiana that's a stretch.

PostPosted: 04/20/24 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Four years at Indiana State somehow equals three? Even in Indiana that's a stretch.

4 (Moreno) - 1 (Tennessee hire) = 3 years difference in D1 experience.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/20/24 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

4 (Moreno) - 1 (Tennessee hire) = 3 years difference in D1 experience.

Okay, I guet your point, But that's a lot in real time.

PostPosted: 04/21/24 1:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I suspect there have been lots of successful D1 coaches who didn't have much D1 head coaching experience when first hired into D1.

As mentioned, Sherri Coale went directly from high school coaching to head coach at Oklahoma, and had the Sooners in the NC game in six years.

Carla Berube spent 17 years at D3 Tufts with an .800 winning percentage before being hired as D1 head coach at Princeton, where she has had an even better .855 record over the past five years.

Geno Auriemma had no head coaching experience when hired at UConn.

Speaking of which, for 20 years I've never realized pilight was a secret UConn fan. Nothing's impossible, I suppose. Nor was pilight the only or first to refer to UConn as the "Hussies." The late Slewbopper used that nickname all the time. He would oxymoronically explain: "I have to type Hussies because the 'k' key on my computer doesn't work."
PG4ever

PostPosted: 04/21/24 8:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

"That was in the beginning of her career. You FAIL to mention that also. She had more years under her belt at Missouri State, where she did damn well, If Caldwell had done that well at Marshall for that many years I might be more supportive but I don't consider ONE year at a mid-major enough to evaluate her, or all her years (what, 5?) at a D-II school to count at all.

And Karoline Striplin is not a "nothing". She really bloomed int he past year and had a 29 point game. She was a core player and a good one. Stick with what YOU know, Mr. UConn.[/quote]

I see your point about Caldwell's lack of experience at the D-I level but I wouldn't say Harper did "damn well" at Missouri State. 14-17, 18-15, 24-10, 16-15, 21-12, and 25-10. She did take them to the Sweet 16 that last year . Maybe I'm nitpicking but overall, I would say "decent" rather than "damn well."

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/21/24 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When Geno and Pat began, those were different times. Women's basketball was still getting a foot in the door. In Pat's case, it was barely getting started. I mean, teams like Immaculata and Delta State were winning the AIAW. Where are they now? D-II and D-III or maybe even NAIA? Things are a LOT different now and a coach has to have D-I experience either as a HC or AC for several years before assuming a HC job, preferably several as a HC before taking one at a major university. Now I think we should move this discussion to either "Coaching Movement" or its own thread for the sake of less confusion.

PostPosted: 04/21/24 12:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2024 Marquette signee Leila Wells is following Duffy to Virginia Tech

https://x.com/leilarose2024/status/1782092974593057069?s=12

thardy929

PostPosted: 04/21/24 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
thardy929 wrote:

That's what I was thinking. Striplin has been underwhelming. Coach has had time for one on ones and individual workouts. New coach's job is to re-make the team into a winning team.

Disappointed here. Karo is never going to be world-class but she could make some solid contributions.

Caldwell has a bunch of visits/interviews lined up with portal-ites the next 2 weeks (Latham, Spearman, Dwyer, ?King) and is doing damage control with the HS players who reopened their commitments when Harper got canned.

Alyssa Latham from Syracuse committed to Tennessee last night. Lazaria Spearman from Miami is visiting now, Temira Poindexter from Tulsa (AAC player of the year) is visiting this week, and Lashae Dwyer from Miami was scheduled to visit next weekend, but I think they're still working on it. I think you're right they're after Liatu King from Pitt as well, and Aaliyah Nye from Alabama is rumored to be a silent commit. Things are busy in Knoxville!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 04/21/24 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thardy929 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
thardy929 wrote:

Alyssa Latham from Syracuse committed to Tennessee last night. Lazaria Spearman from Miami is visiting now, Temira Poindexter from Tulsa (AAC player of the year) is visiting this week, and Lashae Dwyer from Miami was scheduled to visit next weekend, but I think they're still working on it. I think you're right they're after Liatu King from Pitt as well, and Aaliyah Nye from Alabama is rumored to be a silent commit. Things are busy in Knoxville!

Really? Tulsa and Pitt? Miami I'll reserve comment on until I check up on her. Not sure about the Bama commit at all. Not at all sure about these rucruits or transfers.

PostPosted: 04/21/24 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Really? Tulsa and Pitt? Miami I'll reserve comment on until I check up on her. Not sure about the Bama commit at all. Not at all sure about these rucruits or transfers.

You REALLY DO enjoy basking in skeptical cynicism, donchya? Razz Who can be sure of ANYTHING in these days of The Perplexing Portal Prognostications? Kim's reigning championship team pulled in no less than 2 marquee players, and....didn't even make the FF. UCLA was a contender with a small mob of Portal Players.

PostPosted: 04/22/24 12:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thardy929 wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
tfan wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
thardy929 wrote:

Poindexter just committed to Kansas St, without visiting Tenn.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/22/24 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Former Marquette player Mackenzie Hare to Iowa State - https://x.com/raoul_000/status/1782447384666009733?s=46&t=qmHojXzONY0z7kSh4Cq1Rg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: