RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Michigan State v Iowa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/09/06 9:53 pm    ::: Michigan State v Iowa Reply Reply with quote

The Top 10 teams continue to fall.

Iowa 74
Michigan State 65

RedEqualsLuck

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

parity or parody? Very Happy

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[/b] Iowa is really tough on their home court. Michigan State is very good, but not probably not Top Ten material.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cmarkcarver wrote:
[/b] Iowa is really tough on their home court. Michigan State is very good, but not probably not Top Ten material.

I didn't see this one coming AT ALL.

Is Maryland Top Ten material? They needed OT to get past Boston College, and they didn't look any better against Tennessee than State did in November.

There's no such thing as a Top Ten team this year: there's just a Top Four, and then a projected Sweet Sixteen.

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/09/06 11:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well this makes Illinois' loss to the Hawkeyes not as bad.

PostPosted: 01/09/06 11:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
Well this makes Illinois' loss to the Hawkeyes not as bad.

Indeed. Anyone see this game? What happened? Did Crystal Smith just eat everyone's lunch? (I expected her to take over games last year, but she didn't appear to have the supporting cast.)

rep_ur_city

PostPosted: 01/10/06 2:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

MSU really misses Kristin Haynie. She really made them go. From what I saw last year, Renee Haynes isn't that impressive. I know they switched Lindsay to the 1 spot, but I liked her better as a shooter, even tho she seems to be good at the point. BTW, all of this is coming from random thoughts based on nothing I've seen this year. Razz Hey, I haven't been able to watch a game this year. They don't televise them! Mad

We like being swept under the carpet because all the dirt comes out in the end-Rasheed Wallace aka Sheeeed!!
vanyogan

PostPosted: 01/10/06 6:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rep_ur_city wrote:
MSU really misses Kristin Haynie. She really made them go. From what I saw last year, Renee Haynes isn't that impressive. I know they switched Lindsay to the 1 spot, but I liked her better as a shooter, even tho she seems to be good at the point. BTW, all of this is coming from random thoughts based on nothing I've seen this year. Razz Hey, I haven't been able to watch a game this year. They don't televise them! Mad

I said this earlier in the year, MSU will also miss Kelli. Freshman Skouby had the big game against MSU, 27 points from the 6-6 Freshman. The Big_10 is a long season season and every team has loaded up with the big posts. MSU really doesn't have the size, exclude Shimek they have little experience in the post. Shimek is going to take a beating in the conference, especially trying to get those boards, and banging those big posts.. She may get points and the boards, but it's going to wear her down.

PostPosted: 01/10/06 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
cmarkcarver wrote:

I didn't see this one coming AT ALL.

Is Maryland Top Ten material? They needed OT to get past Boston College, and they didn't look any better against Tennessee than State did in November.

There's no such thing as a Top Ten team this year: there's just a Top Four, and then a projected Sweet Sixteen.

MSU lost to Tenn by 28. Maryland lost to Tenn by 5.

bballjunkee212

PostPosted: 01/10/06 9:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is B10 basketball. Win at home, lose on the road. Steal a road game and you end up conference champ. Lose to someone you shouldn't and you end up conference chump. A couple of seasons ago, I believe it was a PSU loss at Iowa City that determined the championship.

Krista VandeVenter, Megan Skouby and Crystal Smith all had huge games- doubt you'll see that kind of production from VandeVenter and Skouby outside of Carver Hawkeye.

Rene Haynes was barely there.

Business as usual in the Big Ten.

PostPosted: 01/10/06 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland is DEFINITELY Top Ten material! They have the entire package, guards that can shoot, physical, athletic posts and a coach who knows how to get the most out of her players. Their only losses are to Duke and Tennessee. The game versus UNC later will tell us more.

stever

PostPosted: 01/10/06 11:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

From today's Lansing paper:
http://www.greenandwhite.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060110/GW0202/601100334/1027

"Iowa's players got some extra motivation from something they heard from the Michigan State bench in the second half Monday night."

"Something about how, 'It's just Iowa,' and about how they should be beating us," Hawkeyes sophomore forward Krista VandeVenter said after Iowa's 75-64 victory over the No. 9 Spartans. "It kind of made us mad and made us want to beat them even more."

sbjules

PostPosted: 01/10/06 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:

I've got to agree with that, accommodatingly!

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 01/10/06 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

sbjules wrote:
Quote:

I've got to agree with that, accommodatingly!

Thank you. Styxfan is right, though, and I was wrong: Maryland made it a game against Tennessee. (But at the time they had Kalika France, for what that's worth.)

Yes, Bowen has the mindset of a 2 guard, and yes, State miss Haynie, on both ends. There's something... Becky Hammon-ish... about Bowen. (Not an insult; an observation.)

Bowen may have a future in the pros, though as with Hammon (and Haynie) she'd need to be paired with a rather tall combo guard.

Samaria

PostPosted: 01/10/06 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I read this thread, and the fact about MSU missing Kristin is correct; they miss her A LOT!

I think Rutgers just made them tired; Rutgers is a physical team, they foul you hard, make you work, etc.

The thing about them missing Kelli is true too, but Kelli also hurt the team sometimes; she was slow, and in back-t-back (or close together) games she just couldn't last, which is one reason why MSU lost to Baylor by 22 in the finals.

It will be tough next year watching them play without their two best players, Bowen and Shimek, but their future is looking promising. Sure they're missing a true center now, but just wait! They just signed a 6-8 girl who won Miss Basketball Michigan, and I've seen her play. Things are looking good for MSU in the center position for sure.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: