RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

So what does everyone think of REese getting sat down?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRballer

PostPosted: 11/23/23 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kateri Poole, Reese’s closest (?) friend on the team, also seems to be missing…

PG4ever

PostPosted: 11/23/23 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Totally speculation.
I still think it COULD be the grades thing. Perhaps she flunked several midterms and has to do remedial work to make up for it. I would think doing classes remotely would open it up to cheating, but maybe she hasn't even figured out how to cheat properly....

Unless she actually physically fought with a teammate, it's hard to come up with some other 'disciplinary' thing where Mulkey would actually sit her for a few games. JMO

Or perhaps she passed all of her midterms, doesn't need remedial work, and does know how to cheat (and could) but chooses not to. I mean, since we're speculating. Maybe it has nothing to do with grades and is all about what's been going on in practice or in games (effort, leadership, attitude, etc.). Of course we won't know until someone who knows (namely Reese or Mulkey) chooses to tell us, so until then, let the speculating continue.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/23/23 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
until then, let the speculating continue.

Word on my street is that Reese and Poole want to mid-season transfer to Duke.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 11/23/23 11:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NM.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Shades

PostPosted: 11/24/23 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

If she can keep up with schoolwork at Duke, grades must not be the real problem for her.

Quote:
In his first week as president of basketball at Reebok, Shaquille O'Neal signed the brand's first NIL deal with LSU's Angel Reese.

I’m not sure I believe this rumor of yours.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/24/23 2:23 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

It's not April Fools Day yet.

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/24/23 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

she's already transferred once, so I don't think she'd get a waiver to play this year if she did go somewhere else.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/24/23 4:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Then, again, folks on my street are mostly delusional.
Shades

PostPosted: 11/24/23 4:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
she's already transferred once, so I don't think she'd get a waiver to play this year if she did go somewhere else.

Myrtle, did you not understand the back end of my post?

She got signed with Reebok because she was the biggest part of putting LSU back on the map. Does it make sense for her to leave LSU and her Bayou Barbie brand? Not at all. It’s not about basketball. It’s about entertainment and big business.

Who knows, maybe Mulkey’s old school overbearing style is the problem. You can’t be Pat Summit anymore these days. Her prison warden demeanor won’t be tolerated by most recruits.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 11/25/23 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 11/24/23 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Sorry. I thought that was a shot a Kim. Guess I was mistaken.

It was both; I was multitasking.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/25/23 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aneesah Morrow with 37/16 LSU over UVA. Angel who?

~rAf
singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/26/23 12:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pulled from an ESPN article (I'm bad with how to do links here): "You got some kids that just want to win," Mulkey said. "They came to LSU to do what they did here, and they did it under unforeseen circumstances. That just makes me feel so good about them."

The rhetoric feels like a not-very-thinly-veiled shot at Reese and Poole, particularly in highlighting "some kids"/they/them when she easily could have said the team.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/27/23 12:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="singinerd54"]Pulled from an ESPN article (I'm bad with how to do links here): "You got some kids that just want to win," Mulkey said. "They came to LSU to do what they did here, and they did it under unforeseen circumstances. That just makes me feel so good about them."

The rhetoric feels like a not-very-thinly-veiled shot at Reese and Poole, particularly in highlighting "some kids"/they/them when she easily could have said the team.[/quote

Sequence of events: In games where Angel played, Aneesah was a non-factor. This continued until halftime of the game where Angel was benched after halftime. Since then, Aneesah has been putting up numbers similar to Angel's. Then a bunch of "I'm not going to talk about it" from Kimmie. After Angel misses four straight games, it's now slipping out that it's "locker room issues."

I'm thinking a couple of things. Angel began seeing she wasn't a top pick in the WNBA and felt pressue to ball her way into being a top pick. She carried that pressure and all the inflated ego into the locker room, wanting everyone to focus on bumping up her numbers. She & sidekick Kateri Poole got benched. They haven't played since. Aneesah and Flaujae have been balling out since the departures of Angel & Kateri. It's now clear that Angel's bubble has been popped. She will either reduce her ego and rejoin the team or she won't. Kimmie now knows that having Angel and Aneesah on the floor together doesn't work. If Angel returns, how does she manage who's on the floor?

~rAf
singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/27/23 12:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
After Angel misses four straight games, it's now slipping out that it's "locker room issues."

What intel do you have and from what source?? Spill the tea!!

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/27/23 3:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
After Angel misses four straight games, it's now slipping out that it's "locker room issues."

What intel do you have and from what source?? Spill the tea!!

It was in The Athletic story. Sorry can't link it. In the ESPN story about why Angel and Kateri were not in the Cayman Islands, Kimmie said "you always have to deal with locker room issues." In the Athletic article, they more specifically quoted Kimmie as describing their absence as a "locker room issue."

My guess is Kimmie felt pressure to steer speculation away from it being a GPA issue. Meanwhile Angel is doubling down on her music video glamour image. (not sure if that was a reputable source - described as Angel on TicTok) My guess is she's trying to separate her NIL deals from basketball - that her fame goes way beyond basketball. In other words, the opposite direction from a humble return to the team. Angel's going to keep claiming that everything negative about her is because she's "too ghetto."

Until we get clear public statements from the parties, we're stuck with snippets wherever we can get them.

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/27/23 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

She got signed with Reebok because she was the biggest part of putting LSU back on the map. Does it make sense for her to leave LSU and her Bayou Barbie brand? Not at all. It’s not about basketball. It’s about entertainment and big business.

Who knows, maybe Mulkey’s old school overbearing style is the problem. You can’t be Pat Summit anymore these days. Her prison warden demeanor won’t be tolerated by most recruits.

Oh yeah? Looks like Kellie is doing it pretty successfully at Tennessee, and her team isn't complaining at her. It's the egos at LSU. I said Kim would have a hell of a time managing them, and I still think I'm right.

PostPosted: 11/27/23 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Duplicate,sorry.
Oh yeah? Looks like Kellie is doing it pretty successfully at Tennessee, and her team isn't complaining at her. It's the egos at LSU. I said Kim would have a hell of a time managing them, and I still think I'm right.

PostPosted: 11/28/23 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ANSXv-y2FfU" title="Angel Reese benching explained in Kim Mulkey's own words and on film" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/28/23 6:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ANSXv-y2FfU" title="Angel Reese benching explained in Kim Mulkey's own words and on film" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Well done! Making the case that Angel benching and ongoing absence was about her mediocre play on the court. I keyed in early as Kimmie was describing Sa'mya as having "worked all summer on her game while others were [waving her hand] all over the place doing who knows what. She knows what Angel was doing as Angel's every move was captured and posted many times over.

Both LSU and Angel are currently inundating social media. LSU with team success with/without Angel (doesn't matter is the point). Angel's post more focused on glamour queen "I'm bigger than basketball - how dare she not play me?"

Kimmie might assign Angel to write "How I spent my summer instead of working on my game."

~rAf
summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/28/23 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

She also said there were "Locker room issues". So which is it, Kimmie? I swear, I dislike her more every day.

PostPosted: 11/28/23 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Honestly, Kim is a crap person - and until proven otherwise, I think it’s likely she’s “putting Angel in her place” in a way that she doesn’t need to.

It’s not like she’s got a great record of treating her players well.

PostPosted: 11/29/23 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Honestly, Kim is a crap person - and until proven otherwise, I think it’s likely she’s “putting Angel in her place” in a way that she doesn’t need to.

summertime blues wrote:
I swear, I dislike her more every day.

Well said and very much same, to both.

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Making the case that Angel benching and ongoing absence was about her mediocre play on the court.

If it's "just" her mediocre play, then keeping her away from the team makes no sense. She can sit on the bench just like all the other players that don't play. Though I suppose it would align with mercfan3's take.

Will be interesting to see if Reese and/or Poole will be back for Virginia Tech on Thursday.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/29/23 1:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:

summertime blues wrote:
I swear, I dislike her more every day.

Well said and very much same, to both.

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Making the case that Angel benching and ongoing absence was about her mediocre play on the court.

If it's "just" her mediocre play, then keeping her away from the team makes no sense. She can sit on the bench just like all the other players that don't play. Though I suppose it would align with mercfan3's take.

Will be interesting to see if Reese and/or Poole will be back for Virginia Tech on Thursday.

My take is the locker room issues happened after she got benched. She really should have been there to watch Aneesah get Angel's numbers. But I also said early on that Angel's been reading the WNBA draft reports that she wasn't getting picked top 5 due to her lack of outside shooting. In the clips, we saw Angel take more outside shots than had been usual for her and wasn't posting up like we're used to her doing. She doesn't actually score off the post up but she's in position to get the o bound, another miss, another o bound.

The big problem ffor Angel is that Aneesah's been playing tough D, rebounding and making her shots.

And with all the Angel posts hitting my FB feed, she's trying to make her presence known off the court - instead of on the court. It's ALL about the brand and NIL $$ now.

~rAf
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 11/29/23 11:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I dont agree with Mulkey actions during this time but i also dont agree with ESPN blasting her all over the front page as if she's the only college coach that uses this same rhetoric cough cough Geno is in the same boat and they wouldn't dare post this type of article on their front page about him...wow ESPN this is an all time low wow.

https://andscape.com/features/lsu-coach-kim-mulkey-and-a-history-of-callousness/
Quote:

“I’m going to protect my players — always. They are like a family,” Mulkey said. “Those kids are like my children and I’m not going to tell you what you don’t need to know, and that’s just the way I address things.”
Quote:

Quote:
Silence as consent was Mulkey’s code then, and it was also her mode of operation during Griner’s imprisonment in Russia. The coach’s refusal to speak up was heavily criticized including being called “cruel and evil” by women’s soccer icon Megan Rapinoe.

Quote:
After LSU’s win over Southeastern Louisiana on Nov. 17, a noticeably sick Mulkey put her COVID politics on full display:

“I ain’t a sissy. I don’t have allergies,” Mulkey said. “I’ve got some kind of cold. It might be COVID, but I ain’t testing. It’s sinuses. I don’t know what you call it — allergies, flu, I don’t know. So, if y’all get the flu, blame me during Thanksgiving.”

There hasn’t been such a deliberate disregard of COVID protocols since Rudy Gobert was a member of the Utah Jazz. It’s a disconcerting level of privilege to think that COVID testing is beneath her, but this is a part of the Mulkey ethos. From the players to the professional journalists – how did Nicki Minaj put one of the refrains of “Did It On ‘Em”?

That’s right. “All these b—— is my sons.” Wait, let me clean that up. “Those kids are like my children.”

PostPosted: 11/29/23 12:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I dont agree with Mulkey actions during this time but i also dont agree with ESPN blasting her all over the front page as if she's the only college coach that uses this same rhetoric cough cough Geno is in the same boat and they wouldn't dare post this type of article on their front page about him...wow ESPN this is an all time low wow.

https://andscape.com/features/lsu-coach-kim-mulkey-and-a-history-of-callousness/

A couple of genuine questions:
1) Is Andscape owned by or otherwise affiliated with ESPN? Says that the author is a freelance writer and hosts a podcast, if that matters. I do see the article is perhaps the eighth story down on the ESPN main page right now.
2) What coaches, Geno or otherwise, have acted in ways that you consider on par with Mulkey, and what did they do or say to make it on par in your eyes?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: