RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Will Clark Set NCAAW DI Career Points Record This Season?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will Caitlin Clark score 811 or more points this season?
Yes
100%
 100%  [ 19 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 19

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/31/24 10:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Caitlin is now #2 on the NCAA Div.1 career scoring list. Game is still going on, so don't know how much she'll need to break Plum's record after this game.

Kelsey Plum: 3527
Caitlin Clark: 3424

If Caitlin averages 35/game, she'll break it in 3 games. Anything under 35/game, she'll break it in her 4th game.

~rAf
awhom111

PostPosted: 01/31/24 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Let's hope that it is 3 so that it happens on FOX. Game 4 would be on Peacock and she could reasonably also hit 1000 assists on that day.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/04/24 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

awhom111 wrote:
Let's hope that it is 3 so that it happens on FOX. Game 4 would be on Peacock and she could reasonably also hit 1000 assists on that day.

Well, she got 38 vs Maryland, so 65 to tie - only needs to average 33 next two games to get the scoring record. Caitlin is also steadily moving towards 1,000 assists...

~rAf
PG4ever

PostPosted: 02/08/24 11:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Clark will likely pass Plum in a couple of games but she still won't be the all-time college women's basketball scoring leader until she passes Lynette Woodard which may happen during Iowa's senior night rematch against Ohio State.

Woodard-3649, Plum-3527, Clark-3462 and counting.

Pearl Moore had 4,061 points at Francis Marion University ('75-'79) so regardless of division, she holds the record but for the Div.1 equivalent, Woodard holds the women's record.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/08/24 7:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Pearl Moore had 4,061 points at Francis Marion University ('75-'79) so regardless of division, she holds the record but for the Div.1 equivalent, Woodard holds the women's record.

<iframe width="540" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2JekfxR1yqA" title="Pearl Moore feature by WPDE TV-15" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
PG4ever

PostPosted: 02/09/24 5:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

<iframe width="540" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2JekfxR1yqA" title="Pearl Moore feature by WPDE TV-15" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

What a find! Thanks for sharing the video.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 02/09/24 5:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm sure Iowa will make sure Clark doesn't set the record at Nebraska no matter what with the home game on Sunday...against my Wolverines. Guess we'll be part of WBB history. Smile

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 02/09/24 9:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A request to not break the record on Super Bowl Sunday.
Quote:
Yes, I’m asking the reigning national player of the year, pretty please, to just be average for one game.

Clark has single-handedly drawn hundreds, if not thousands, of eyeballs to women’s basketball. She deserves a day of celebration all to herself. But if she breaks the record Sunday, roughly four hours before Kansas City and San Francisco kick off, she’ll get a blip on SportsCenter, and not much more. If she waits until next Thursday vs. Michigan, she’ll probably get a documentary of sorts.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaw/bigten/2024/02/09/caitlin-clark-scoring-record-chase-super-bowl-sunday/72533384007/

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Shades

PostPosted: 02/09/24 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
But if she breaks the record Sunday, roughly four hours before Kansas City and San Francisco kick off, she’ll get a blip on SportsCenter

I disagree. I feel it would be much better to do it on national and including OTA attainable television network FOX, instead of on the Peacock subscriber stream.

Plus, since Clark is a noted Swifty and Kansas City Chiefs fan, there could be a marketing tie-in there.

Either way, I hope it happens organically instead of something they’re plotting out like what is being suggested by the over-thinkers.

She needs 39 points, right? That’s something that’s certainly attainable against Nebraska…. if she plays the whole game. But this game will probably be over in the third quarter. Wish the game was against Ohio St.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/11/24 3:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, she did not break the scoring record, but did get assist #1,000. BUT, Iowa lost to Nebraska. The curse of #2 ranking continues like the hot potato nobody wants.

~rAf
TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 02/11/24 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

While I realize Plum's record is the next step, I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of how close she is to topping Lynette Woodard. I know the NCAA is allergic to discussing basketball before they took it over, but this group usually has a better sense of history.

If she stays at her pace, she should catch Woodard right about the end of the season.

elsie

PostPosted: 02/12/24 3:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

interesting to me about Clark and in particular her coach Bluder....BLuder was at Drake when Jackie Stiles was playing at then Southwest Missouri State and I wonder if BLuder ever thought she would coach a scoring champ like Stiles....well, she did, 20 plus yrs later.

Michael

PostPosted: 02/12/24 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
While I realize Plum's record is the next step, I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of how close she is to topping Lynette Woodard. I know the NCAA is allergic to discussing basketball before they took it over, but this group usually has a better sense of history.

If she stays at her pace, she should catch Woodard right about the end of the season.

The press is myopic and single minded. Once she passes Plum, they will bring up Maravich, then once she passes Maravich they will start talking Woodard.

PostPosted: 02/12/24 3:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:

I've posted the numbers for Woodard in this thread. I was following women's basketball when Woodard was playing in the AIAW. I have the AIAW t-shirt.

~rAf
FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 02/12/24 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michael wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:

The press is myopic and single minded. Once she passes Plum, they will bring up Maravich, then once she passes Maravich they will start talking Woodard.

The difference here is that Maravich only played 3 seasons, approx 60% of the number of games played by Woodard or Clark with a much higher PPG average.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/12/24 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
Michael wrote:
TechDawgMc wrote:

The difference here is that Maravich only played 3 seasons, approx 60% of the number of games played by Woodard or Clark with a much higher PPG average.

Yeah, really....I think we can be inclined to OVER-think all this, especially as there are a LOT of variables in each player's overall career and record.

There's a ton of hype flying around now, but - as I recall it - it was the same for Kelsey Plum. And, once she broke the mark, that was it: nobody kept throwing down new marks to break for her. Caitlin gets her crown, life moves on. Kelsey, Jackie, Caitlin - that's more Apples to Apples. Period.

PostPosted: 02/12/24 5:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And nobody remembers Pearl Moore, who apparently owns the actual scoring record but will never be recognized for it because it was all AIAW.

PostPosted: 02/12/24 7:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fwiw, Pearl Moore was inducted into the Naismith Hall of Fame in 2021, in addition to having been inducted into the Women’s Basketball Hall of Fame in 2011. so while her record may not be properly appreciated in modern days, at least she was recognized for it in an official capacity such as that. for anyone who even marginally cares.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 02/12/24 9:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I posted Pearl Moore's numbers in an earlier post but wanted to share a bit of related basketball trivia I found today. Back in the summer, Jolette Law was honored by her hometown of Florence, S. Carolina which named a court after Law. Interestingly enough, the court is in the Pearl Moore Basketball Center. Moore was also from Florence, S. Carolina. Here are a couple of links about the court naming:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXTePuTl3LA

https://scnow.com/news/local/pearl-moore-basketball-center-championship-court-named-for-jolette-law/article_3046dbd2-09a0-11ee-bc62-f32111eabac8.html

TechDawgMc

PostPosted: 02/12/24 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
And nobody remembers Pearl Moore, who apparently owns the actual scoring record but will never be recognized for it because it was all AIAW.

Not just that it was AIAW. Woodard played all AIAW. It was small college ball. It would be like scoring a lot of points in D2 ball today. While people might notice, they'd also say it wasn't apples to apples to compare to the big teams.

I hate that the NCAA ignores the AIAW records like Woodard's because that was playing the highest level women's ball there was, and it wasn't a big change when the NCAA took over. Yes, there's much more talent now, but it wasn't a magic change in 1981.

I don't think you compare different divisions -- or women's games to men's games, though. Very different levels of competition.

ClayK

PostPosted: 02/13/24 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The game was so much different. Before Title IX kicked in at the high school level in the early '70s, there really were no sports for young girls. At my Northern California suburban high school in the '60s, girls' sports was a one-day event. And there was a flag football game.

That was it.

A girl I went to middle school with was expected to be 6-5. Her parents had her operated on to remove some bone so she would be shorter.

The pool of athletes was so shallow as to be almost non-existent.

PostPosted: 02/13/24 5:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before Title IX, my high school had NO sports for girls. None. I was kind of a tomboy but didn't like the intramural sports they did have (which were called "after school sports") because a) they were volleyball, basketball, and softball, none of which I was good at, and b) they were dominated by the girls who would otherwise have either played varsity or AAU ball, had there been such things then, and no others need apply. I was a very good runner until I trashed my ankle the summer I turned 17 and it was never properly repaired (still gives me trouble) and it used to absolutely kill me to watch the cross-country team run by my house every day. When I was 14 and in 9th grade (1959), a couple of my friends and I had hiked up our skirts and were running on the track during lunch hour. We got hauled into the office and lectured for being "unladylike".

Last edited by summertime blues on 02/14/24 4:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Howee

PostPosted: 02/13/24 11:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
A girl I went to middle school with was expected to be 6-5. Her parents had her operated on to remove some bone so she would be shorter.

Dang. That's almost barbaric. If nothing else, I hope the growth in women's sports has spared thousands of girls the self-loathing society instilled with that kind of body-shaming.

I'm thinking variations in experience might also be related to certain regions, maybe? When I was in 5-8th grade (late 60s) our little parochial schools had a basketball league for both genders (although the girls played 6 on 6) and we also participated in track meets. Thank goodness for "progress".

PostPosted: 02/14/24 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

I'm thinking variations in experience might also be related to certain regions, maybe? When I was in 5-8th grade (late 60s) our little parochial schools had a basketball league for both genders (although the girls played 6 on 6) and we also participated in track meets. Thank goodness for "progress".

I think this is true. My tiny public grade school in the same era had interscholastic basketball, softball, and skiing for girls. HS added field hockey, volleyball, gymnastics, track, and tennis.

bcdawg04

PostPosted: 02/14/24 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
The game was so much different. Before Title IX kicked in at the high school level in the early '70s, there really were no sports for young girls. At my Northern California suburban high school in the '60s, girls' sports was a one-day event. And there was a flag football game.

That was it.

The pool of athletes was so shallow as to be almost non-existent.

It was less about the depth of the pool of athletes than it was, as you pointed out earlier in your post, a lack of opportunities.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: