RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2023-24 Pre-season Exhibition Games

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 10/22/23 12:30 pm    ::: 2023-24 Pre-season Exhibition Games Reply Reply with quote

The season is about to begin - official games won't begin until early November, but teams are already beginning exhibition games to prepare for their seasons. Put your exhibition games and results here, if you wish.

South Carolina has its first (and I think only) exhibition game today tipping off at 1:00 p.m. against Rutgers. It's honoring Nikki McCray-Penson.

Conway Gamecock

PostPosted: 10/22/23 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina wins 100-55....

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/23/23 12:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU will play Eastern Mennonite (D-III) who are their neighbors in Harrisonburg. on Nov. 6. It's kind of like the Lady Vols playing Carson-Newman, which they do every year--just for fun, hope nobody gets hurt, and everyone plays and has a good time. EMU is a pretty decent team usually and it should be fun.

PostPosted: 10/27/23 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU defeated East Texas Baptist 99-26...

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 10/27/23 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Conway Gamecock wrote:
LSU defeated East Texas Baptist 99-26...

That had to be a very good use of their time. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
patsweetpat

PostPosted: 10/30/23 9:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently UCLA played UNC in a closed scrimmage in Dallas, and apparently UCLA won by 5 points.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/31/23 6:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee 205, Carson-Newman (D-II) 78. This is not as bad as it sounds. The Lady Vols played all 11 healthy players, and everybody played at least 10 minutes, so there's that. And C-N is usually pretty good. Jewel Spear didn't play because she was nursing a twisted ankle, and Kellie was being a little careful with Tamari Key, who's returning after a season out with blood clots in her lungs.

PostPosted: 10/31/23 8:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Tennessee 205, Carson-Newman (D-II) 78. This is not as bad as it sounds. The Lady Vols played all 11 healthy players, and everybody played at least 10 minutes, so there's that. And C-N is usually pretty good. Jewel Spear didn't play because she was nursing a twisted ankle, and Kellie was being a little careful with Tamari Key, who's returning after a season out with blood clots in her lungs.

*105-72. Though 205-78 sure would've been impressive!

Howee

PostPosted: 10/31/23 11:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon's exhibition vs. Southern Oregon was a 76-55 win for the Ducks. Kelly's (implied) starting lineup featured one junior, 2 sophomores, 1 transfer and 1 freshman. It'll be interesting to see how that rolls for him.

PostPosted: 10/31/23 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thardy929 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:

*105-72. Though 205-78 sure would've been impressive!

Not enough coffee and fat fingers. Geez. Rolling Eyes My keyboard gives me fits in the morning.

PostPosted: 10/31/23 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND wins 110-48 over Purdue-Northwest.

https://wsbt.com/sports/content/hannah-hidalgo-delivers-masteful-performance-in-no-10-notre-dames-dominantion-of-purdue-nw-in-exhibition-fighting-irish-niele-ivey#

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
okstateguy

PostPosted: 10/31/23 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK State beat Oklahoma Christian(Div II) tonight 101-50.

They basically played Garzon and Asi with the bottom half of the roster and did not play Fauntleroy/Noble/Prater/Gusters/Praise/Jones.

PostPosted: 11/01/23 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kentucky beat Kentucky State 88-71.....

CompSci87

PostPosted: 11/01/23 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford up 78-18 over DII Dominican at halftime. Starters are Lepolo, Jump, Bosgana, Brink, and Iriafen. All 12 players have played.

CompSci87

PostPosted: 11/02/23 10:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CompSci87 wrote:
Stanford up 78-18 over DII Dominican at halftime. Starters are Lepolo, Jump, Bosgana, Brink, and Iriafen. All 12 players have played.

126-53 was the final. The end of the bench didn't do so well in the 4th quarter.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/02/23 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seton Hall's defense had fun while beating St. Thomas Aquinas 79-38. Steals for everyone! Everyone who played for the Hall scored.

PostPosted: 11/04/23 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn beat So.Conn.St., 97-38. Geno experimented with a lot of lineups. The one I liked best was Bueckers, Fudd, Edwards, Griffin and Ducharme.

Bueckers is most valuable at point guard because she is the team's best passer, decision maker, ball handler and driver.

Box score
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/04/23 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke beat Wingate 106-33. Starters: Taina Mair, Ashlon Jackson, Reigan Richardson, Jadyn Donovan, Kennedy Brown. All 10 players played but it was clear the rotation will be 8, including Camilla Emsbo, Oluchi Okanawa and Delaney Thomas off the bench.

Coach Kara finally has a PG to run plays - and Taina Mair is a ball hawk on defense. Jadyn & Oluchi are both very quick, with quick hands they use to disrupt on D and get into the paint on offense. Camilla is very comfortable with back to the basket offense, while starting center Kennedy Brown is more polished on defense.

The team this year will be less exact in defensive rotations but more able to score in a variety of ways.

First D-1 game on Monday!

~rAf
NYSports56

PostPosted: 11/04/23 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
UConn beat So.Conn.St., 97-38. Geno experimented with a lot of lineups. The one I liked best was Bueckers, Fudd, Edwards, Griffin and Ducharme.

Bueckers is most valuable at point guard because she is the team's best passer, decision maker, ball handler and driver.

Box score

Then what happens to Nika Muhl, with KK Arnold also on the bench? This team is Aaliyah Edwards and a bunch of guards.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/04/23 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Box score

Then what happens to Nika Muhl, with KK Arnold also on the bench? This team is Aaliyah Edwards and a bunch of guards.

I was just expressing my preference, which is very strong for Bueckers at PG where she can make 3pt/pull-up/drive/pass decisions for herself. My preferences may not be Geno's. He started Muhl, Bueckers, Fudd, Ducharme and Edwards, a small lineup with not much rebounding power.

Muhl has a lot of fans who are convinced she should start at PG with Bueckers playing on the wing. I think that wastes Bueckers' elite passing, ballhanding, driving and decision-making skills. Bueckers played only 11 minutes today and got 7 points (3-4, 1-2), 7 assists (some WOW!), 4 rebounds, and 0 turnovers. I'd rather start Bueckers at PG for those reasons, and start Griffin over Muhl to get more height, speed, rebounding and defense into the lineup. But I'm not the coach.

It is true that only two bigs will likely be in the rotation, who aren't all that big—6-3 Edwards and 6-3 redshirt freshman Brady, who looked good. 6-5 DeBerry was the last player to enter the game and got only 7 minutes, so I don't expect her to be a big game factor unless some sort of transformational miracle happens.

KK Arnold was quick and seemed to be a good ballhandler and driver, but showed no outside shot in this contest. That will be something to watch for in her game.
MsProudSooner

PostPosted: 11/05/23 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oklahoma defeated West Texas A&M 113 - 38.

Box score for anyone who is interested:

https://soonersports.com/sports/womens-basketball/stats/2023-24/west-texas-am-exh-/boxscore/12778

linkster

PostPosted: 11/07/23 12:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
NYSports56 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Box score

I was just expressing my preference, which is very strong for Bueckers at PG where she can make 3pt/pull-up/drive/pass decisions for herself. My preferences may not be Geno's. He started Muhl, Bueckers, Fudd, Ducharme and Edwards, a small lineup with not much rebounding power.

Muhl has a lot of fans who are convinced she should start at PG with Bueckers playing on the wing. I think that wastes Bueckers' elite passing, ballhanding, driving and decision-making skills. Bueckers played only 11 minutes today and got 7 points (3-4, 1-2), 7 assists (some WOW!), 4 rebounds, and 0 turnovers. I'd rather start Bueckers at PG for those reasons, and start Griffin over Muhl to get more height, speed, rebounding and defense into the lineup. But I'm not the coach.

It is true that only two bigs will likely be in the rotation, who aren't all that big—6-3 Edwards and 6-3 redshirt freshman Brady, who looked good. 6-5 DeBerry was the last player to enter the game and got only 7 minutes, so I don't expect her to be a big game factor unless some sort of transformational miracle happens.

KK Arnold was quick and seemed to be a good ballhandler and driver, but showed no outside shot in this contest. That will be something to watch for in her game.

I agree about Bueckers. Muhl is a solid pg but Geno would be better off rotating the three guards but only playing two at a time. Arnold appears to be the real deal and would be starting for LSU this season, not that there is much pg talent there to beat. But Arnold is still an inexperienced rookie and shouldn't be the first guard off the bench on a team so deep.

Edwards and Brady may have 6'3 next to their names but the difference is apparent when they stand upright next to each other. Edwards would fit in Brady's shadow. Brady is about an inch taller but is also about two sizes bigger and lean. She has a big butt and welcomes an exchange of hip checks in the paint. She will have an opportunity to make herself a name in her 1st season. She has no real competition for center.

Patterson is also an option on the front line. She had meniscus surgery, was expected to be ready for the season start and Geno hasn't changed that but whether it's Wednesday or 2 weeks from now, Patterson has Gabby Williams-like athleticism and is 2 inches taller and much stronger. She played on the injured knee all of last season.

UConn looks incredibly good this season.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/07/23 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

James Madison beat Eastern Mennonite 104-31 in what was supposed to be a "friendly" last night (as they are called in soccer matches), and it was for most of the game, but it got a little chippy in the 4th when some words were exchanged under the JMU basket and later a JMU player not usually known for such threw an elbow and didn't get called for it. Either the ref didn't see it or felt the other girl had it coming. Anyway, that was the end of the chippiness and everyone was all smiles at the end, even on the losing side.

Last edited by summertime blues on 11/08/23 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/07/23 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Hames Madison beat Eastern Mennonite 104-31 in what was supposed to be a "friendly" last night (as they are called in soccer matches), and it was for most of the game, but it got a little chippy in the 4th when some words were exchanged under the JMU basket and later a JMU player not usually known for such threw an elbow and didn't get called for it. Either the ref didn't see it or felt the other girl had it coming. Anyway, that was the end of the chippiness and everyone was all smiles at the end, even on the losing side.

Hames Madison. What a name.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 11/08/23 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Hames Madison beat Eastern Mennonite 104-31 in what was supposed to be a "friendly" last night (as they are called in soccer matches), and it was for most of the game, but it got a little chippy in the 4th when some words were exchanged under the JMU basket and later a JMU player not usually known for such threw an elbow and didn't get called for it. Either the ref didn't see it or felt the other girl had it coming. Anyway, that was the end of the chippiness and everyone was all smiles at the end, even on the losing side.

Hames Madison. What a name.

FIFY

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: