RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2024
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 10/18/23 9:15 pm    ::: New York Liberty 2024 Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty had a great and exciting season, largely meeting all expectations as a newly created superteam. They were expected to be in the Finals vs Las Vegas, with a good chance of upsetting the favorites to win the Title. NY already has the talent to beat the Aces in a series, but chemistry takes time, and it was a stretch to believe that chemistry could be developed in time for the Finals, or at least to get home-court advantage over LV. The fact that they didn't have enough to beat them without Candace Parker and Chelsea Gray is a little disappointing, but it's probably more of an example of how good LV really is. :idea;

Next year should be telling... Both teams will be the favorites to be in the Finals, both teams will be better, and both will probably load up with more talent. So who should they add? Or should they just run it back with what they have? Question

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 10/18/23 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

😀MVP!😄MVP!😆MVP!😂MVP!MVP!🤣

PostPosted: 10/18/23 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:

No silky needed #Approved Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 10/18/23 9:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:

No silky needed #Approved :lol: :lol:

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/SmoCFhZCi1kzu" width="480" height="292" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe>

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
jmvcity

PostPosted: 10/19/23 9:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Are the Libs stuck with Willoughby next season?

With the Olympics, when would we expect Johannes and Han Xu to show up? Will Xu even show up?

I’d miss her terribly, but I’d be okay with trading Johannes for a more athletic guard. Her flashiness has been very inconsistent all season. Granted, she didn’t get much playing time.

PRballer

PostPosted: 10/20/23 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve read that only Sabrina, KT, Slooty and Laney are under contract for next season but was going to look at Across the Timeline to be sure.

Priority would be re-signing JJ and Stewie as they are currently on one year deals.

I think you have to be realistic about Marine and Han playing for their national teams in 2024 with Marine being a focal point of the French team and playing in Paris? Amazing for her but we won’t be seeing her in Brooklyn next summer.

As a Liberty fan, assuming no MJ, I want Charisma Osborne or Jacy Sheldon assuming they are healthy and available at #11. Need a defensive spark off the bench to shore up the the backcourt. Open to other ideas but that is my pick based on mocks I’ve seen

PRballer

PostPosted: 10/20/23 8:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ve read that only Sabrina, KT, Slooty and Laney are under contract for next season but was going to look at Across the Timeline to be sure.

Priority would be re-signing JJ and Stewie as they are currently on one year deals.

I think you have to be realistic about Marine and Han playing for their national teams in 2024 with Marine being a focal point of the French team and playing in Paris? Amazing for her but we won’t be seeing her in Brooklyn next summer.

As a Liberty fan, assuming no MJ, I want Charisma Osborne or Jacy Sheldon assuming they are healthy and available at #11. Need a defensive spark off the bench to shore up the the backcourt. Open to other ideas but that is my pick based on mocks I’ve seen

zune69

PostPosted: 10/20/23 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I honestly think the perfect scenario for the Liberty/Jones would be a sign/trade to Seattle. Jones needs to be on a team where she is the primary #1 post option...She is a legit top 5 player and MVP candidate when she is the featured post.

Proposed trade:

Jones/Johannes for Magbegor/Horston

Seattle gets a legit top 5 player to pair with J. Loyd.....They also get a player who many believe is a starter (Johannes).....At worst, Johannes is a decent bench player......Even if Gabby/Johannes sit out next season Seattle should have a top-tier team in 2025...They also have a lottery pick in 2024 so the possibilities are endless.

Seattle potential lineups:

Loyd/Johannes/Jones/Edwards/Gabby

Loyd/Johannes/Jones/Brink/Gabby

Loyd/Johannes/Jones/Cardosa/Gabby

Loyd/Johannes/Jones/Reese/Gabby

Loyd/Clark/Jones/Gabby/PF/...with Johannes coming off the bench

Loyd/Bueckers/Jones/Gabby/PF/...with Johannes coming off the bench

As for NY

G- Sloot
G- Ionescu
C- Magbegor
F- Stewart
F- Laney
6- Thorton
7- Horston
8- Xu
9- Sabally

The most important part of trading Jones and letting Dolson walk would be more opportunity for Laney and more minutes for Xu......The Liberty would need to add a backup PG & shooter...Maybe they use one of the bench players as trade bait.....New York also has the right to swap 1st rd picks with Phoenix in 2025...so things could get very interesting if Phoenix does not make the playoffs next season.

Last edited by zune69 on 10/20/23 11:10 am; edited 2 times in total
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 10/20/23 11:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure many people will trade for Johannes for next year when she's likely to miss some or all of the season. She's French, the Olympics are in Paris, that will be her priority next summer.

PRballer

PostPosted: 10/20/23 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

No way are they breaking up the super team core unless a player requests a trade.

JJ is my favorite so personally I can’t fathom moving her now

JJ, Stewie and Laney are not to be moved. Sabrina will go to Golden State the minute she becomes an UFA (2025? 26?) and Slooty has one possibly two seasons left. Kolb and co do not want to break up the core in 24

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/20/23 2:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:
No way are they breaking up the super team core unless a player requests a trade.

JJ, Stewie and Laney are not to be moved. Sabrina will go to Golden State the minute she becomes an UFA (2025? 26?) and Slooty has one possibly two seasons left. Kolb and co do not want to break up the core in 24

You say moved as if NY has any say so....They cored stewie and you know how that went with the last team she was playing for. JJ can walk if she pleases. Although i think they should give it 1 more run .

PostPosted: 10/20/23 3:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Proposed trade:

No effing way do the Storm do that.

craigmont

PostPosted: 10/20/23 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
PRballer wrote:

You say moved as if NY has any say so....They cored stewie and you know how that went with the last team she was playing for. JJ can walk if she pleases. Although i think they should give it 1 more run .

Seattle cored Loyd, not Stewie.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/20/23 4:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richy has written his Liberty Offseason Guide. It certainly deserves a click.

A quote relevant to the discussion here:

"Jones can't be cored, because she's reached the limit of two years played under a core-designated contract, but Stewart can. In fact, Stewart (and her agent), may well want to be cored. Assuming she signs for at least two years, that would remove the option for teams to core her for the rest of her WNBA career (as long as rules don't become stricter in future Collective Bargaining Agreements). It's also the only way for her to meet the criteria to receive up to the supermax of $241,984 in 2024 rather than be limited to the regular max of $208,219."

scullyfu

PostPosted: 10/20/23 5:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Proposed trade:

<THIS>

PostPosted: 10/20/23 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope they’re keeping an eye on Didi Richards’ performance overseas.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 10/20/23 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

She's playing in Australia this season, for the Sydney Flames. Season starts in 10 days. (you may have already known that) So I'll be keeping a close eye on her performance too.

PostPosted: 10/20/23 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeet Stef

yeet Marine

yeet Jocelyn

have a long conversation with Sloot about whether she can still play at the level to which she is accustomed

find someone who can play some goddamn perimeter defense I swear to God I don't know if any single one of our 1/2 guards could actually guard my 75-year-old mother and her four titanium joints

figure out who hexed Breanna and MAKE THEM STOP

somewhere there is probably alcohol. lots of alcohol.

PostPosted: 10/20/23 11:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

craigmont wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Proposed trade:

Why not?........ Magbegor is solid but Jones is a legit #1 option/top 5 player.....Teams would kill to get a talent like Jones....Horston has upside but if It means getting a top 5 talent and MVP-caliber player I say you do it. Especially since you already have Gabby at SF......How many teams would have a one-two punch better than Jones/Loyd?.... Imagine having a guard and post who can drop 20-30 pts in a game...Mabegor is good, but Jones is on another level.

Last edited by zune69 on 10/21/23 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
craigmont

PostPosted: 10/21/23 3:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
craigmont wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Proposed trade:

Why not?........Magbegor is solid but Jones is a legit #1 option/top 5 player.....Teams would kill to get a talent like Jones....Horston has upside but if It means getting a top 5 talent and MVP-caliber player I say you do it. Especially since you already have Gabby at SF......How many teams would have a one-two punch than Jones/Loyd?.... Imagine having a guard and post who can drop 30-30 pts in a game...Mabegor is good, but Jones is on another level.

I agree about Jones but the Storm FO is too heavily invested in Magbegor and Horston as the future of the team and they are not in Win Now mode. I like Johannes too, but why doesn't she play more for the Liberty, and there's the France thing. Speaking of France, that's where Gabby Williams plays and she's a UFA in this league.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 10/21/23 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
craigmont wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Proposed trade:

Why not?........ Magbegor is solid but Jones is a legit #1 option/top 5 player.....Teams would kill to get a talent like Jones....Horston has upside but if It means getting a top 5 talent and MVP-caliber player I say you do it. Especially since you already have Gabby at SF......How many teams would have a one-two punch better than Jones/Loyd?.... Imagine having a guard and post who can drop 20-30 pts in a game...Mabegor is good, but Jones is on another level.

Does Jonquel Jones WANT to go to Seattle? Either way I don't understand your trade, zune.

If JJ does, then she should just sign with them, as she's an unrestricted free agent. Why force Seattle to compensate New York if she wants to play there. That just weakens the Storm.

If she doesn't want to go to Seattle, then it would be pretty shitty for New York to sign her and then trade her (against her will) to Seattle.

Or am I missing something?

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/21/23 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

she couldn't possibly be less useful than Willoughby anyway.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 10/21/23 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

she couldn't possibly be less useful than Willoughby anyway.

I think Didi would be more useful because her defense is better, and perimeter defense is a big issue. Her upbeat personality is a bit of a positive too.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 10/21/23 4:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PRballer wrote:

I agree--backcourt defense is 100% what the Liberty need to add to the current team.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/22/23 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
zune69 wrote:
craigmont wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Proposed trade:

Does Jonquel Jones WANT to go to Seattle? Either way I don't understand your trade, zune.

If JJ does, then she should just sign with them, as she's an unrestricted free agent. Why force Seattle to compensate New York if she wants to play there. That just weakens the Storm.

If she doesn't want to go to Seattle, then it would be pretty shitty for New York to sign her and then trade her (against her will) to Seattle.

Or am I missing something?

I never said Jones wanted to go to Seattle...Just that I believed it would be in her best interest to reach her highest level as a player.....Jones pulls too many disappearing acts when she isn't the clear-cut #1 post option...And on a team with Stewart/Ionescu/Laney that's going to continue...Jones probably feels differently and is content with being the 3rd/4th option, but it's hard to tell...Jones will have a great quarter/half, then totally disappear....She was great in the first half of games 1/2, then pulled a no-show in the 2nd half of both games....and was a nonfactor for most of game 4 which is unacceptable for one of the top 5 most talented players in the league.

I proposed a sign/trade as a way for Seattle to get a starting guard to pair with Loyd (Johannes)...Many people believe Johannes is a starter, at the very least she is a quality bench player.....Johannes is a "Reserved Player".....So she can't negotiate with another team...Seattle would have to trade for Johannes...Seattle has a couple of of bad contracts on their roster (Russell, Nurse, Whitcomb)...and still have to re-sign Gabby.....Depending on how much money Jones/Johannes would want I'm not sure Seattle could fit both players under the cap without a sign/trade...I also don't think NY would entertain a sign/trade without getting a proper replacement for Jones. Of course, Jones would have to agree to any sign/trade

Seattle also has a lottery pick...So even if they don't get the #1 pick, they'll still be in a position to replace Magbegor with Edwards, Brink, Cardoso or Reese......If Seattle gets the #1 pick they would not need Johannes...They could Draft Clark and then offer Jones a max....But Jones could be content being the 3rd/4th option with the Liberty and turn down any max offer.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: