Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 01/22/24 4:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Awak Kuier to forgo 2024 WNBA season

https://wings.wnba.com/news/awak-kuier-to-forgo-2024-wnba-season/

Quote:
“I have been playing professional basketball continually for 7 years and believe it is in my best interest to take some time off to rest and give my body a break from year-round play.”

She doesn’t play much in the WNBA and practice is nearly nonexistent during the season, so I have a feeling it’s more about the mental than the physical.

Keep this in mind when drafting international players high.

Quote:
“While we will miss Awak this season, we understand and are supportive of her decision to take the summer off”

I believe they were supportive of Bella Alarie taking a season off. Did she ever come back?

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 01/22/24 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://wings.wnba.com/news/dallas-wings-hire-jasmine-thomas/
Quote:
The Dallas Wings have hired WNBA All-Star Jasmine Thomas as the organization’s Director of Player Programs and Development Coach, the team announced today. Thomas will start with the Wings on February 5.

PostPosted: 01/23/24 11:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Awak is coming back unlike Alarie , Awak is taking the olympic season off. Nothing uncommon . As she definitely played a lot the 2nd half of the season earning her keep.

PostPosted: 01/23/24 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Being an Olympic year doesn't make much difference to a player who's Finnish. Just a player who's tired of the year-round grind, understandably. Probably not productive enough in Europe yet to be getting a fortune there so might well be back in the WNBA to keep proving herself and increasing her value.

PostPosted: 01/26/24 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reports that Lani is going to resign with the Wings. That means someone is on the move because if you assume a max on Sabally as an RFA, the Wings flat out can’t afford Lani.

So who is on the way out? Presumably you don’t want to trade your All-WNBA caliber stars - Sabally or Arike - so Tea or Natasha seem like the easier bets. But if Sab wants out, that is a game changer for the whole Free Agency season.

In fact, if Sab is available, she is the prize of this spring considering Stewie and Jonquel are off the table.

Dallas has really developed what seems to be a fun culture and had an awesome finish but it does seem clear that an uncomfortable move would need to be made to access the next steps. It’s hard to see this group suddenly just usurp Vegas or NYL.

PostPosted: 01/26/24 9:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:
Reports that Lani is going to resign with the Wings. That means someone is on the move because if you assume a max on Sabally as an RFA, the Wings flat out can’t afford Lani.

So who is on the way out? Presumably you don’t want to trade your All-WNBA caliber stars - Sabally or Arike - so Tea or Natasha seem like the easier bets. But if Sab wants out, that is a game changer for the whole Free Agency season.

In fact, if Sab is available, she is the prize of this spring considering Stewie and Jonquel are off the table.

Dallas has really developed what seems to be a fun culture and had an awesome finish but it does seem clear that an uncomfortable move would need to be made to access the next steps. It’s hard to see this group suddenly just usurp Vegas or NYL.

It would be tight but if I have the math right
Sabally at reg max 208k
K. Brown at say 120=130k
and pick two from last year's first round pick Soares or the two first round picks from this year and you can squeak in at 11 roster spots without moving anyone

Dangerfield/Burton
Ogunbowale/Lopez-Senechel
Sabally/Siegrist
Howard/Draft pick
McCowan/Brown

and Soares (Maybe Soares waits another year and focuses on her Olympic team commitment) or other first round draft pick
lets say you end up with bringing in the two first round pick #5 could end up being R. Jackson, Reese or A. Edwards and #9 could end up as Sheldon, Amoore or Osborne I think that would be a strong squad going into the 24 season

That is still a really good team
Dallas could also swap or cut one of the Burton, Lopez-Senechel or Siegrist and replace them with a minimum player if they need another 10k to make things work

trades are also possible Dallas has two first round picks this year and a lot of decent players they could combine to get something in return or flip for future consideration so they can open up more cap for someone like Cloud but they don't have to if they are happy with continuity and internal growth and Brown doesn't get a huge offer from someone else.

zune69

PostPosted: 01/26/24 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Paying Brown anything more than 100k makes no sense.....She only averaged 16 mpg last season. Dallas already has a big center, and it isn't as if you can play both bigs together........... Dallas' roster lacks balance...I don't like Satou or Howard playing SF....They need an athletic wing and a PG

Signing Satou/cloud should be the top priority for Dallas.....I wouldn't overpay Brown at the expense of not having a quality PG

Shades

PostPosted: 01/26/24 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 01/26/24 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Paying Brown anything more than 100k makes no sense.....She only averaged 16 mpg last season. Dallas already has a big center, and it isn't as if you can play both bigs together...........

I mean, you can play two bigs, but you can't play those two bigs.

I feel like someone must have leaked some inside information about Rodan's future to Brown's people, if she's willing to re-sign, 'cause there's gotta be 2-3 teams where she would start. Either that, or she's super-duper bought in to what they're building out there.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
pilight

PostPosted: 01/30/24 8:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sabally returning to Wings

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/39425557/satou-sabally-returning-dallas-wings-1-year-deal

Quote:
"Just engaging in those basketball conversations really made us realize that we want to work together and we want to bring a championship to Dallas," Sabally said. "It could really be termed as unfinished business."

Cue Joan Jett

PostPosted: 01/30/24 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:

Agreed

tfan

PostPosted: 01/30/24 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Sabally returning to Wings

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/39425557/satou-sabally-returning-dallas-wings-1-year-deal

Quote:
"Just engaging in those basketball conversations really made us realize that we want to work together and we want to bring a championship to Dallas," Sabally said. "It could really be termed as unfinished business."

OK, wants to get a championship with Dallas. But only signed a one-year deal.

eyevolley4

PostPosted: 01/30/24 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not locking yourself into multiple years at a lower rate isn’t a terrible idea for an All WNBA caliber player.

PostPosted: 01/30/24 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Silky Johnson wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Paying Brown anything more than 100k makes no sense.....She only averaged 16 mpg last season. Dallas already has a big center, and it isn't as if you can play both bigs together...........

I feel like someone must have leaked some inside information about Rodan's future to Brown's people, if she's willing to re-sign, 'cause there's gotta be 2-3 teams where she would start. Either that, or she's super-duper bought in to what they're building out there.

Sometime players are motivated by different things.

It is possible that McCowan will be moved but

It is also possible that after bouncing in and out of the league Brown found a role/home in Dallas and is just happy to come back to a team that wants in an area that she has spent a decent amount of time in or near since her college years. Also even if McCowan stays she isn't a 35 minute a night player Closer to 25 actually) and she misses games through out the season so there is definitely minutes for a quality back up center in Dallas. And Dallas is organically moving it way into contention. Seems like a good place to be for a player like Brown and if she was able to get 100-125k out of them in the process that a good career move IMO. And if she ends up signing for less or just for a year it gives her time to prove herself for a full season to a future team.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 02/01/24 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
It is also possible that after bouncing in and out of the league Brown found a role/home in Dallas and is just happy to come back to a team that wants [her] in an area that she has spent a decent amount of time in or near since her college years...

This happens to fall under my Personal Definition™ of "super-duper bought in."

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
Shades

PostPosted: 02/06/24 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[Stephanie Soares signed a Rookie Scale Contract with the Dallas Wings.]

I like her but she’s coming off an ACL injury.

Quote:
Soares is currently competing with Brazil’s national team as it hopes to qualify for the 2024 Olympics. The Olympic qualifying tournament runs from Feb. 8-11 in Belém, Brazil.

Reeve, DAL is overloaded at center. Maybe this would be a good franchise to push for a trade? Maybe wait until you see how the draft plays out, and if it turns out disappointing (no good bigs available), then you can push for trade, AND PUSH HARD!!

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/06/24 4:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
[Stephanie Soares signed a Rookie Scale Contract with the Dallas Wings.]

I like her but she’s coming off an ACL injury.

Quote:
Soares is currently competing with Brazil’s national team as it hopes to qualify for the 2024 Olympics. The Olympic qualifying tournament runs from Feb. 8-11 in Belém, Brazil.

Reeve, DAL is overloaded at center. Maybe this would be a good franchise to push for a trade? Maybe wait until you see how the draft plays out, and if it turns out disappointing (no good bigs available), then you can push for trade, AND PUSH HARD!!

Never thought id see the day Laughing Laughing Laughing #Desperation wins

PostPosted: 02/09/24 5:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

G. Amoore from VTech...2024 draft

PostPosted: 02/10/24 11:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Milks26 wrote:

Amoore is a tiny guard who doesn't shoot well. Her A/TO is good but not great.

What reason is there to think she can help a WNBA team?

PostPosted: 02/10/24 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ClayK wrote:
Milks26 wrote:

Amoore is a tiny guard who doesn't shoot well. Her A/TO is good but not great.

What reason is there to think she can help a WNBA team?

I love me some Hokie Amoore, but yeah I share your reservations about how her size & shooting will translate to the level where everyone is longer & quicker.

PostPosted: 02/11/24 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’m fine with any combination of Sheldon , Sherrod , Fair, Amoore in that order and only at 9. I don’t think the demand is that high for Jacey at #1-8 for us to risk missing out on (Jackson,Cardoso, Reese , ) Bowl .

PostPosted: 02/11/24 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
I’m fine with any combination of Sheldon , Sherrod , Fair, Amoore in that order and only at 9. I don’t think the demand is that high for Jacey at #1-8 for us to risk missing out on (Jackson,Cardoso, Reese , ) Bowl .

I just want to how Dallas is going to solve their mathematical problem of signing all three of their first round picks, plus retain all their bench players.

PostPosted: 02/11/24 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I just want to how Dallas is going to solve their mathematical problem of signing all three of their first round picks, plus retain all their bench players.

They only have two first round picks, but someone is indeed still getting cut. They have 10 signed and only the room to keep 11.

PostPosted: 02/12/24 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Rock Hard wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

They only have two first round picks, but someone is indeed still getting cut. They have 10 signed and only the room to keep 11.
The third person is 2023 first round pick, Ms. Soares.

PostPosted: 02/12/24 1:20 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

At the moment it looks the last two spots will be

two of Burton, Lopez-Senechel or pick #9

What about Osborne at pick #9 (I kind of hope she last to NY at 11)

With McCowan and Brown in place it seems possible that Soares could be flipped to another team for future consideration

If not Soares maybe Siebert (I think there are a few teams out there that have two first round picks in 25) or maybe a top team that feels confident might swap a 25 first round pick for Soares or Siebert there seem to be a few teams that could use another post or Wing/post

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: