RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big East 2023-24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/21/24 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
UConn already got out and decided to come crawling back. They're not leaving again unless they can get into a power conference, and the power conferences are too busy using each other as building blocks like they're making a megazord or something to take on UConn's footballolololol program.

Yeah I don’t think UCONN is moving conferences again any time soon. I wish they had some real competition in the conference though. That’s on the other schools though - not a criticism of uconn.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/22/24 8:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish they'd never come back. You wanna play FBS football? You can't sit with us.

PostPosted: 02/22/24 1:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I wish they'd never come back. You wanna play FBS football? You can't sit with us.

Too bad, so sad Cool

If UConn had gotten the Big 12 invite they were pushing for HARD last summer it would have been deuces.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/22/24 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

if UConn had an on-campus football stadium today, they’d already be in a Power conference such as the Big 12. (as it is, a Power-whatever invite could still drop on their doorstep in the next couple years with how chaotic the Power-conference landscape might once again get.) i don’t know the inner workings of why they don’t & why there doesn’t seem to be any plans to get one. half-assing a football program in that way is just like shooting yourself in the foot every September 1. that football independence of theirs has an expiration date. (at this point, even Notre Dame’s probably does too.)

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/23/24 8:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Villanova has a not so fun end to conference play - at Creighton and at UCONN before ending with a much easier game - home to DePaul.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/23/24 9:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The time of getting punched directly in the feelings is upon us- tomorrow is Senior Day at St. John's (and at a lot of other places I have interest in, but Unique Drake did not put up with Joe Tartamella starting transfers over her just for me to fuck off to another Senior Day).

PostPosted: 02/27/24 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s senior day for Marquette against St. John’s. I was interested to see if it would be pregame and who they’d be honoring. They are honoring 5 seniors so it seems the seniors who could take a Covid year aren’t coming back. I was hoping to have another year of Liza Karlen and Rose Nkumu but they have to do what’s best for them. Finally tracked down that it will be a pregame ceremony. I miss when that did the ceremony after the game. It’s a big game for MU as they face a team they’re battling to finish 3rd in the BE.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/28/24 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So what do other BE fans think of the 18 game schedule this season with only playing two teams once - one of them home and one of them away? I see the men are still playing everyone twice with a 20 game league schedule so wondering why the women did this. But then I'm wondering if it was done partly for UCONN to be able to play better teams in the non-conference schedule.

St. John's and Villanova only played once and they may very well end up tied. That game was at St. John's and they prevailed. I bet Villanova will be wishing they'd gotten to play St. John's a second time at home if they end up tied.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 02/28/24 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
So what do other BE fans think of the 18 game schedule this season with only playing two teams once - one of them home and one of them away? I see the men are still playing everyone twice with a 20 game league schedule so wondering why the women did this. But then I'm wondering if it was done partly for UCONN to be able to play better teams in the non-conference schedule.

St. John's and Villanova only played once and they may very well end up tied. That game was at St. John's and they prevailed. I bet Villanova will be wishing they'd gotten to play St. John's a second time at home if they end up tied.

Given that UConn only played Butler and Xavier once, I think you might be exactly right in thinking it was done perhaps at UConn's request. I can't imagine it's a coincidence that UConn avoided playing the two teams that have historically been the worst over the past few seasons.

I personally don't like the 18-game schedule. One thing the Big East has on the men's side (and had on the women's side until now) over the other megaconferences is that the standings are an accurate reflection of who had the best season with everyone plays an equal schedule. Now, with the 18-game schedule, the luck of your schedule is a factor of where you finish in the standings.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/29/24 11:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Overall UCONN needs to figure a way out of the big east . I don't see things improving with top recruits for the conference with UCONN's best win this year being #22 Louisville .

PostPosted: 02/29/24 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
Overall UCONN needs to figure a way out of the big east . I don't see things improving with top recruits for the conference with UCONN's best win this year being #22 Louisville .

Women’s sports aren’t considered for conference moves - they aren’t going anywhere.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/29/24 1:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

I agree, but football drives the bus, and that's one thing UConn just ain't got. All they have is basketball. Period.

PostPosted: 02/29/24 8:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
I personally don't like the 18-game schedule. One thing the Big East has on the men's side (and had on the women's side until now) over the other megaconferences is that the standings are an accurate reflection of who had the best season with everyone plays an equal schedule. Now, with the 18-game schedule, the luck of your schedule is a factor of where you finish in the standings.

Same. As you said, the luck of the draw might just have put St. John's in the top four this year. I don't think we sweep Villanova, especially if that second game is at the Pavilion, and I'm not sure we survive DePaul twice. A true round robin is the only way things are fair.

PostPosted: 03/11/24 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Following a (well documented by me, sorry) 1-27 season, Xavier's leading scorer, Mackayla Scarlett, has entered the transfer portal.

It will be interesting to see how the postseason bids shake out. It was not a particularly strong year for the Big East.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/12/24 9:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure I see it happening, but the Lexington Herald Leader's story on potential candidates to replace Kyra Elzy has Megan Duffy at the very top.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/12/24 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
I'm not sure I see it happening, but the Lexington Herald Leader's story on potential candidates to replace Kyra Elzy has Megan Duffy at the very top.

I’m not sure anyone would seriously consider her after the UCONN game debacle. She may be close to hot seat material at MU actually.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/12/24 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Same. As you said, the luck of the draw might just have put St. John's in the top four this year. I don't think we sweep Villanova, especially if that second game is at the Pavilion, and I'm not sure we survive DePaul twice. A true round robin is the only way things are fair.

Marquette lucked out only having Georgetown at home too. I agree about not being a fan of the unbalanced schedule. But I feel like they did those so uconn could play more non conference games and have tougher opponents that way. With how bad the rest of the BE was this year, I feel like the unbalanced schedule will remain.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/13/24 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Marquette lucked out only having Georgetown at home too. I agree about not being a fan of the unbalanced schedule. But I feel like they did those so uconn could play more non conference games and have tougher opponents that way. With how bad the rest of the BE was this year, I feel like the unbalanced schedule will remain.

I think you're correct. UConn probably pushed this so they could improve their schedule strength. The Huskies' only weak nonconference game was Dayton and they probably scheduled that when Dayton was good. I'm not considering the home-coming game against that Toronto team, because the NCAA didn't consider it for Net. Sometimes UConn has had difficulty finding decent opponents for homecoming games (e.g., Cuse refused the chance to host Stewart's homecoming game).

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/13/24 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

I’m not sure anyone would seriously consider her after the UCONN game debacle. She may be close to hot seat material at MU actually.

Really? I agree that was a very bad showing, but is she really on the hot seat? It seems to me that her biggest issue at Marquette has been recruiting/maintaining a good roster. She hasn't gotten many good recruits and has lost good recruits to the portal. That's an incredibly important part of the job, of course, but she seems like an excellent X's and O's coach. But if you cannot get good X's, I guess that's an issue.

You are a very good Warriors' fan, so I'm curious how you feel about her?

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/13/24 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Really? I agree that was a very bad showing, but is she really on the hot seat? It seems to me that her biggest issue at Marquette has been recruiting/maintaining a good roster. She hasn't gotten many good recruits and has lost good recruits to the portal. That's an incredibly important part of the job, of course, but she seems like an excellent X's and O's coach. But if you cannot get good X's, I guess that's an issue.

You are a very good Warriors' fan, so I'm curious how you feel about her?

They have fallen apart this year and just scored the lowest point total in program history last game out and looked pathetic. They frequently have little to no offense. Not sold on her recruiting - they honored 5 seniors this year - 2 were Kieger recruits, one a grad transfer she got and 2 of her recruits. There were 4 senior starters this year and the only non senior starter Mackenzie Hare was originally signed by St. Louis but reopened her recruitment when they fired Lisa Stone - MU lucked into getting her then. Next season looks pretty bleak right now unless the transfer portal lands them a lot of great talent. They have 6 returners on their roster and only 3 of them have gotten any kind of decent playing time. One frosh this year barely played and one sophomore sat out this year with a torn ACL and really didn’t play last season. And who knows who may transfer out.

And she has yet to win an NCAA tournament game and I highly doubt that will change this year.

I don’t think she will get fired now but I have seen some people calling for that. I will say I don’t feel real great about the program going forward at this point though.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/14/24 6:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
They have fallen apart this year....
Shocked

Dang. Now, I NEVER follow The Big East, but....when I read these posts about Marquette, I hadta look at their record. 11-7 in BE play, 23-8 overall is....falling apart?? And they did have some nice wins over ranked opponents, like Illinois and Creighton. I only wish Oregon had a record like that, haha!

Do you think they may end up in the NIT?

PostPosted: 03/14/24 8:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
They have fallen apart this year....
Shocked

Dang. Now, I NEVER follow The Big East, but....when I read these posts about Marquette, I hadta look at their record. 11-7 in BE play, 23-8 overall is....falling apart?? And they did have some nice wins over ranked opponents, like Illinois and Creighton. I only wish Oregon had a record like that, haha!

Do you think they may end up in the NIT?

Illinois was technically ranked when MU beat them but did not have a great season and fell out of the rankings soon after MU beat them. I think Creighton is the only team likely to make the NCAA Tourney that they beat and that was a close home win in mid December - first BE game of the season for each team - I don’t remember if Creighton was ranked at the time.

Their last home game against St. John’s was an awful performance - one of the worst games I’ve ever had to sit through. Win that game and they most likely finish 3rd in the BE not tied with anyone but with that awful game they ended up tied for 3rd and got the 5th seed. And I just don’t know what to say about that performance in the BET when they scored an all time program low of 29 points. They also blew a bunch of close games late.

As of now, I think they’ll be a first four team in the ncaaa tournament.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/17/24 8:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCONN is a 3, Creighton a 7 and Marquette a 10 in the NCAA Tourney. I expected MU to get a First Four game so was surprised with that 10 seed. Duffy gets to return to her alma mater as they are facing Ole Miss at Notre Dame.

I am expecting Villanova, St. John's, Georgetown and Seton Hall to be in the WNIT assuming they all accept bids.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/17/24 8:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
UCONN is a 3, Creighton a 7 and Marquette a 10 in the NCAA Tourney. I expected MU to get a First Four game so was surprised with that 10 seed. Duffy gets to return to her alma mater as they are facing Ole Miss at Notre Dame.

I am expecting Villanova, St. John's, Georgetown and Seton Hall to be in the WNIT assuming they all accept bids.

Totally wrong about the last part as I missed the fact that there's a new WBIT tournament owned and funded by the NCAA. All 4 of those teams I thought were going to the WNIT are going to the WBIT.

WBIT bracket - https://www.ncaa.com/_flysystem/public-s3/images/2024/03/17/2024-WBIT-bracket.png

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/17/24 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And Butler and Providence are in the WNIT - https://womensnit.com/news/2024/3/17/general-2024-postseason-wnit-field-announced.aspx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: