RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big East 2023-24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 12/20/23 8:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Yeah, Xavier was able to snap the 28-game losing streak on Friday. Coincidentally enough, it was 14 points from Aizhanique Mayo, a redshirt freshman, that led the way. Mayo has been on the roster both at Marquette and at Iona, yet Friday was her first-ever collegiate game. She must have been sitting out as a two-time transfer until the court injunction was issued last week allowing two-time transfers to play immediately. Xavier also added a volleyball player to the roster.

I had no idea Mayo was now at XU - interesting. She left right before the 22-23 season started and Marquette originally wouldn’t release any info about her but she wasn’t sitting on the bench and they had removed her from the roster at the time they wouldn’t say anything.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 12/20/23 10:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
Yeah, Xavier was able to snap the 28-game losing streak on Friday. Coincidentally enough, it was 14 points from Aizhanique Mayo, a redshirt freshman, that led the way. Mayo has been on the roster both at Marquette and at Iona, yet Friday was her first-ever collegiate game. She must have been sitting out as a two-time transfer until the court injunction was issued last week allowing two-time transfers to play immediately. Xavier also added a volleyball player to the roster.

I had no idea Mayo was now at XU - interesting. She left right before the 22-23 season started and Marquette originally wouldn’t release any info about her but she wasn’t sitting on the bench and they had removed her from the roster at the time they wouldn’t say anything.

Xavier's coach made a vague reference to Mayo having gone through some challenging situations. Who knows; your guess is as good as mine. If Marquette originally wanted her, she's certainly more talented than anyone Xavier has on its roster.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/15/24 3:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCONN looking like the top team in the BE again and Creighton and Marquette possibly in the next tier. Still a lot of time to go though.

It was weird to see Marquette blow out DePaul on Saturday - this was so not the DePaul team I'm used to seeing. Liza Karlen has put together some nice games for MU and is the first player to earn the BE POW 3 times this season.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 01/25/24 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, last night, Butler (0-7 Big East) traveled to Cincinnati to face Xavier (0-7 Big East). Butler jumped out to a 49-23 halftime lead and won 90-57. Xavier's NET ranking dropped from 307 to 323 overnight. The Musketeers are 1-16 overall and are extremely unlikely to win another game this season, although a game against Oakland in December was "postponed" so it could in theory be made up.

Xavier has lost 31 straight regular season Big East games, and 33 Big East games overall if you count first-round losses in the conference tournament in the 2021-22 and 2022-23 seasons. I'm not sure what the longest losing streak in Big East history is, but they have to be getting close.

I think Melanie Moore probably just wanted to be done at Xavier, but honestly I'm not sure what the point of the coaching change to Billi Chambers was. I understand every coach needs some time to come in and get their own players, but this team is getting completely obliterated every night with the exception of playing Seton Hall close for three quarters before giving up a 16-0 run and losing by 14.

Elsewhere, I'm surprised Marquette is only 4-4 in league play. The two losses to UConn aren't a surprise but the close losses to Villanova and St. John's are disappointing. Still looking like probably a three-bid league with UConn, Creighton and Marquette, but who knows.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/26/24 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Well, last night, Butler (0-7 Big East) traveled to Cincinnati to face Xavier (0-7 Big East). Butler jumped out to a 49-23 halftime lead and won 90-57. Xavier's NET ranking dropped from 307 to 323 overnight. The Musketeers are 1-16 overall and are extremely unlikely to win another game this season, although a game against Oakland in December was "postponed" so it could in theory be made up.

Xavier has lost 31 straight regular season Big East games, and 33 Big East games overall if you count first-round losses in the conference tournament in the 2021-22 and 2022-23 seasons. I'm not sure what the longest losing streak in Big East history is, but they have to be getting close.

I think Melanie Moore probably just wanted to be done at Xavier, but honestly I'm not sure what the point of the coaching change to Billi Chambers was. I understand every coach needs some time to come in and get their own players, but this team is getting completely obliterated every night with the exception of playing Seton Hall close for three quarters before giving up a 16-0 run and losing by 14.

Elsewhere, I'm surprised Marquette is only 4-4 in league play. The two losses to UConn aren't a surprise but the close losses to Villanova and St. John's are disappointing. Still looking like probably a three-bid league with UConn, Creighton and Marquette, but who knows.

I expect that Mulkey will be calling the X coach soon to invite them to Baton Rouge next season. Rolling Eyes

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/26/24 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

I expect that Mulkey will be calling the X coach soon to invite them to Baton Rouge next season. Rolling Eyes

Laughing

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 01/28/24 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:

Sorry about Xavier’s rough streak.

Marquette blew their road games at St. John’s and Villanova big time - should have won both of those. But they also played a very easy non conference schedule and I’m not sure how good they really are. Marquette had way more trouble beating Butler at home yesterday than they should have. Marquette next goes to Omaha to face Creighton Wednesday night - expecting a Creighton blowout in that one.

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/28/24 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

St. John's over Georgetown today, but the Hoyas did not make it easy. Too much size. 5-7 Jailah Donald on 6-4 Brianna Scott... not my idea of a good time. We're running some ridiculous 4-guard sets because Amber Brown left or was kicked off or whatever caused her to no longer be on the roster, and Julie Bahati is still rehabbing an injury, which means we have two (2) post players, 6-2 Jillian Archer and 6-0 Phoenix Gedeon. It's... uh... it's an adventure.

I do not enjoy Seton Hall going as Micah Gray goes, because she's so streaky she'd disappear if you sprayed her with Windex.

DePaul, please for the love of your history find a way to tell Doug Bruno to retire gracefully. He and Joe McKeown can throw a joint retirement party and invite all of Chicago.

Marquette may not have the talent they thought they had, but I still take Duffy over most of the coaches in this league as a strategist and tactician.

PostPosted: 01/28/24 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
St. John's over Georgetown today, but the Hoyas did not make it easy. Too much size. 5-7 Jailah Donald on 6-4 Brianna Scott... not my idea of a good time. We're running some ridiculous 4-guard sets because Amber Brown left or was kicked off or whatever caused her to no longer be on the roster, and Julie Bahati is still rehabbing an injury, which means we have two (2) post players, 6-2 Jillian Archer and 6-0 Phoenix Gedeon. It's... uh... it's an adventure.

I do not enjoy Seton Hall going as Micah Gray goes, because she's so streaky she'd disappear if you sprayed her with Windex.

DePaul, please for the love of your history find a way to tell Doug Bruno to retire gracefully. He and Joe McKeown can throw a joint retirement party and invite all of Chicago.

Marquette may not have the talent they thought they had, but I still take Duffy over most of the coaches in this league as a strategist and tactician.

I was surprised that game was that close today - congrats to St. John's for pulling out the game. Georgetown is one of the teams Marquette plays only once and it's the FS1 game they are doing with a completely female crew for everything again on Feb 7th.

The Creighton-Seton Hall game was closer than I expected but I guess that doesn't help much for you with Seton Hall still losing.

Yeah Villanova crushed them big time in Chicago today but I saw that St. John's and DePaul went to double OT the other night with St. John's prevailing. I would think Bruno would retire after this season. I had the Penn State-Northwestern game on TV the other night and thought McKeown did not look very good - I know he's missed some games due to his health recently too.

Marquette's offense tends to disappear at times - great example was them going up 63-56 with 3:54 to go at Villanova and then they proceeded to not score the rest of the game and lost 66-63. And then yesterday's game at home against Butler was odd - Marquette looked to finally grab control taking a 48-39 lead heading into the 4th quarter. Then Marquette decided not to score in the 4th quarter and Butler tied it at 48 with just under 5 minutes to go. Then Liza Karlen basically said enough of this and went on her own mini run and Marquette scored the next 11 points in the game and Butler didn't score again. That was one odd quarter but thankfully MU prevailed with the win.

Marquette inducted long time coach Terri Mitchell into their hall of fame yesterday and honored her at the game. They smartly had Alumni day yesterday too and a ton of former players came in to honor Mitchell. It was fun to see a lot of former players at the game.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/04/24 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Depaul fell to 3-8 in the BE today with their second loss to Georgetown on the season - the final was 44-42. How odd to see a DePaul team score only 42 points. DePaul has only beaten Xavier (twice) and Butler so far this season for BE wins - the two teams below them in the standings.

Marquette fell behind 20-2 at Providence yesterday but somehow managed to comeback and win 66-62. They had blown late leads at St. John's, Villanova and Creighton so I guess this was one way to combat that problem.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/05/24 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Depaul fell to 3-8 in the BE today with their second loss to Georgetown on the season - the final was 44-42. How odd to see a DePaul team score only 42 points. DePaul has only beaten Xavier (twice) and Butler so far this season for BE wins - the two teams below them in the standings.

Marquette fell behind 20-2 at Providence yesterday but somehow managed to comeback and win 66-62. They had blown late leads at St. John's, Villanova and Creighton so I guess this was one way to combat that problem.

I'm sure that's exactly how Megan drew it up. Very original strategy!

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/05/24 8:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Fully aware this wasn’t a strategy - just happy Marquette escaped with a win.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/06/24 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Fully aware this wasn’t a strategy - just happy Marquette escaped with a win.

I think you misread my tone. I wasn't poking fun at what you wrote, but rather trying to continue the playful way you interpreted the 'reason' Marquette allowed Providence to build an early lead.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 02/08/24 9:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I caught some of the Marquette-Georgetown game last night on FS1. The 6-4 score at the end of the first quarter likely did not win over any new fans for the sport. The other fairly irrelevant thing was that the sound mix was off so much that the main sounds of the broadcast were children who were ABSOLUTELY SCREAMING THEIR HEADS OFF. The phrase "screaming bloody murder" suddenly made a lot more sense to me. The announcers seemed annoyed, too; one of them said "screaming is an understatement" in a pretty annoyed tone.

That being said, a win Marquette really needed, and Georgetown does seem to be moving in the right direction. Still feel terribly about what happened with Coach Butts but hopefully the program continues moving forward.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/09/24 7:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
I caught some of the Marquette-Georgetown game last night on FS1. The 6-4 score at the end of the first quarter likely did not win over any new fans for the sport. The other fairly irrelevant thing was that the sound mix was off so much that the main sounds of the broadcast were children who were ABSOLUTELY SCREAMING THEIR HEADS OFF. The phrase "screaming bloody murder" suddenly made a lot more sense to me. The announcers seemed annoyed, too; one of them said "screaming is an understatement" in a pretty annoyed tone.

That being said, a win Marquette really needed, and Georgetown does seem to be moving in the right direction. Still feel terribly about what happened with Coach Butts but hopefully the program continues moving forward.

Yeah that first quarter was so incredibly painful to watch and I was thinking this is not a good game to be on TV. Glad I sat up higher and didn't hear the screaming kids Smile .

I guess the important thing is Marquette got the win but it did not give me a lot of confidence heading into a game against Villanova Saturday. They just have not been playing well. They'll need better offensive production on Saturday from Mackenzie Hare and Jordan King if they are to avenge their loss at Villanova - Hare was 0-6 and King 1-10 from the field against Georgetown. And Marquette didn't make a single 3 point attempt for the first time since 2022. The game Saturday is on Fox - hopefully MU can make a better showing on TV for this one.

Yes Georgetown does seem to be moving in a good direction and yes it is very sad about Coach Butts. They played a video during a timeout where Megan Duffy talked about Coach Butts and honored her.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/09/24 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An upset tonight as St. John’s loses at Butler 64-59. This is only Butler’s second Big East win this season.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/10/24 8:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oh, St. John's WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS

Just got back from Xavier at Seton Hall. Pirates went deep into the bench on this one- we had stretches where there were 5 bench players on the floor and they were holding serve.

PostPosted: 02/18/24 8:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil - so is February 20, 2022 the last time Xavier had a Big East win? I'd normally say maybe they'd have a shot at a BE win with facing Butler on Wednesday but Butler seems to be playing a bit better lately. Butler has the 2nd worst NET in the BE at 132 and Xavier brings up the rear at 315 - ouch.

Speaking of Butler, they surprised me by winning at Villanova on Saturday.

UCONN looks like they will most likely win the league going undefeated in conference again. Creighton looks likely to end up 2nd.

3rd, 4th and 5th looks to be a battle between St. John's (9-6), Villanova (9-5) and Marquette (8-6) right now. MU getting swept by Villanova surely won't help them. Hopefully they can pick up a senior night win vs. St. John's to at least earn a split with them. Marquette's remaining games are home to Seton Hall and St. John's and at Xavier and Butler. Those are all winnable for them but they haven't been playing the greatest so they could blow all of them. Although I will not handle it well if they find a way to lose to Xavier. Seton Hall is close by in the standings also at 7-8.

Charlie Creme has UCONN, Creighton and Marquette dancing from the BE right now with Villanova a first four out but that was before their loss to Butler - they may move down more now.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/18/24 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was BHA weekend in the New York metro area, and also the visit of the underwhelming Big East Road Trip. Creighton ran away from St. John's
71-51 on Friday, taking control in the second half (although fun fact: for the first 25 minutes or so, only three Bluejays scored, it's just that Lauren Jensen, Morgan Maly, and Emma Ronsiek were just really good at it). I think the biggest problem wasn't actually our inability to guard the three, but the way Creighton neutralized Jillian Archer inside. She normally gets her rebounds by positioning and body control, not by sheer strength, and Creighton's forwards were able to match her. And no one else bothered getting on the glass- Jillian regularly had three blue jerseys draped over her.

On Saturday, Seton Hall took care of business against a fast but not always disciplined DePaul team, 91-78. Micah Gray had 21 points, 13 in the first half, and Savannah Catalon also had 21 points, stepping up in the absence of starting PG Amari Wright (I *knew* Amari didn't look right after that accidental kick in the head on Tuesday). Doug Bruno looks tired.

Everybody's pink jerseys looked cheap as shit. Both STJ and SHU usually have names on their jerseys and neither did. The SHU jerseys did not match the program's font. STJ barely had a logo on them, and Tyonna Bailey had the wrong number. Both games had eye-searingly pink graphics and ugly pink giveaway t-shirts (at least the ones for SHU *did* actually use the correct Pirate font, while the ones for STJ did not). If you're going to half-ass it, just donate the money you'd have spent on pink gear to Play 4 Kay and wear normal jerseys.

tl;dr:

Creighton: good at basketball

St. John's: not so good at basketball

DePaul: zoooooooooooooooooooooooooom

Seton Hall, and more specifically Micah Gray: "I was born for this."

Pinkwashing: still the second worst.

Cancer: still the fucking worst.

PostPosted: 02/18/24 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd have to think that Doug Bruno will retire after this season - he's had a great run at DePaul but it's been a tough stretch and I agree he looks very tired.

I like your rundown Queenie.

We will see what happens as the BE wraps up in the next couple weeks.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 02/20/24 10:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yep, that Feb. 20, 2022 win against Butler (who I believe had its own 1-win season in 2021-22) was Xavier's last Big East win. I continue to not be able to look away from this car wreck of a program, and am still wondering how many lopsided losses it will take for any level of local media to notice. Nothing new to say there, though.

There is some slight worry on the men's message boards at Xavier that Sean Miller could be a candidate for upcoming openings at Ohio State and (maybe) Louisville, and it's clear that no one trusts the athletic director to hire a basketball coach (had Sean Miller not basically raised his hand two years ago saying he wanted the Xavier job again, the previous men's coach, who was the least successful Xavier has had in a generation, would likely still be employed). But, that's the closest the fan base has really come to caring about the mess the women's program is in. Sad My main point throughout the past five or so years is that it actually seems difficult for them to be this bad. It's not like finishing in the bottom 2-3 in the league standings each year; it's about being the worst power conference program in the country.

I would think the Big East teams would want to avoid finishing in the sixth spot, so as to not have to play Xavier in the first round of the Big East tournament. Even if you beat them, if you don't blow them out, just playing them as an opponent will hurt your metrics.

It seems like it's UConn, then Creighton, then that mix of teams in the middle. It will be interesting to see how the standings shake out. And I agree that it's probably time for Doug Bruno to retire. I sure hope their women's program doesn't follow a similar downward spiral that its men's program has.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 02/20/24 12:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This chart of adjusted offensive/defensive ratings of power conference teams really spells out how bad things are at Xavier. Wow.

https://twitter.com/cbbanalytics/status/1759957596922933702?s=46&t=AaSQEyLPFjp9DiGB0e90QA

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/20/24 1:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn really needs tp get out of this church league, but football drives the bus and that's what they don't have.

PostPosted: 02/20/24 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn already got out and decided to come crawling back. They're not leaving again unless they can get into a power conference, and the power conferences are too busy using each other as building blocks like they're making a megazord or something to take on UConn's footballolololol program.

PostPosted: 02/21/24 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
UConn already got out and decided to come crawling back. They're not leaving again unless they can get into a power conference, and the power conferences are too busy using each other as building blocks like they're making a megazord or something to take on UConn's footballolololol program.

Exactly, and the Big East is perfectly fine for them in men's basketball, so you're probably just going to have to get comfortable. At least the travel is easier to major markets instead of, like, Tulsa, Wichita, Birmingham, and Greenville, North Carolina.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: