RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big East 2023-24
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 09/27/23 9:04 am    ::: Big East 2023-24 Reply Reply with quote

I will start out this thread by saying what on earth is taking so long with the release of the 23-24 BE schedule??? They released the men’s BE scheduled almost two weeks ago on Friday 9/15. It’s almost October now - this is annoying!

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/27/23 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It looks like it's coming out tomorrow, and part of the delay appears to have been them rejiggering the schedule so that it's no longer a true double round-robin- each team has an opponent they will only face on the road and one they will only face at home.

THANKS I HATE IT except for the fact that I don't have to deal with Villanova fans this year.

PostPosted: 09/28/23 9:16 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder why they're doing this. I suppose 18 league games gives teams the opportunity for a couple additional nonconference games, but the best thing about the Big East compared to the other power conferences is that they actually played a true round-robin schedule, so the final standings were fair.

I haven't looked at the entire set of who plays who, but the two teams Xavier (0-20 last year) gets to only play once are UConn and Villanova, which seems... not coincidental.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 10/17/23 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

New Georgetown coach Tasha Butts has taken a leave of absence from the team to focus on her ongoing battle against breast cancer. I hate to see this -- I knew she'd received a pretty grim diagnosis a couple of years ago (while maybe working for Nell Fortner at Georgia Tech) and was hoping she had perhaps turned the corner.

https://guhoyas.com/news/2023/9/21/womens-basketball-an-announcement-from-georgetown-womens-basketball.aspx

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/17/23 3:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
New Georgetown coach Tasha Butts has taken a leave of absence from the team to focus on her ongoing battle against breast cancer. I hate to see this -- I knew she'd received a pretty grim diagnosis a couple of years ago (while maybe working for Nell Fortner at Georgia Tech) and was hoping she had perhaps turned the corner.

https://guhoyas.com/news/2023/9/21/womens-basketball-an-announcement-from-georgetown-womens-basketball.aspx
\]

This makes me so sad. Some of Pat's coaching tree has had awful luck with this...Nikki and now Tasha. We lost some others who weren't coaching to the same thing too, Melissa McCray (not related to Nikki) was one that hit me hard.

PostPosted: 10/17/23 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

\]

This makes me so sad. Some of Pat's coaching tree has had awful luck with this...Nikki and now Tasha. We lost some others who weren't coaching to the same thing too, Melissa McCray (not related to Nikki) was one that hit me hard.

It's almost enough to make you think keeping all those corpses under the campus is a bad idea after all.

PostPosted: 10/17/23 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

\]

It's almost enough to make you think keeping all those corpses under the campus is a bad idea after all.

Wait. What?

Howee

PostPosted: 10/17/23 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

\]

Wait. What?

Yeah. ^This ^ Shocked

PostPosted: 10/17/23 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They have the Body Farm, located underneath the athletic complex. It’s for the study of decomposition over time, with varying environmental factors. A lot of ME students and researchers from around the world go there to observe / study the bodies.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/17/23 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:
They have the Body Farm, located underneath the athletic complex. It’s for the study of decomposition over time, with varying environmental factors. A lot of ME students and researchers from around the world go there to observe / study the bodies.

You might recall Kathy Bates mentioning it in The Blind Side, in order to scare Michael away from playing for Tennessee.

PostPosted: 10/17/23 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoopsmom wrote:

what and I cannot possibly stress this enough THEEEE FUCK

PostPosted: 10/18/23 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Hoopsmom wrote:

what and I cannot possibly stress this enough THEEEE FUCK

The Body Farm is way SOUTH of there, not under the athletic complex. Just stop it!

PostPosted: 10/18/23 11:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Pilight was making a joke. UTK had the first body farm but there are now six others in the U.S., all at universities.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_farm
summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/18/23 6:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Pilight was making a joke. UTK had the first body farm but there are now six others in the U.S., all at universities.

Ain't funny, MacG! We're quite proud of having the original Body Farm and we KNOW where it is!

PostPosted: 10/18/23 6:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Ain't funny, MacG! We're quite proud of having the original Body Farm and we KNOW where it is!

That's where it is now. They used to stare bodies under the campus.

PostPosted: 10/19/23 11:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Not true and I don't know where you got that idea. Stay at UConn where you belong.

PostPosted: 10/19/23 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Not true and I don't know where you got that idea. Stay at UConn where you belong.

😂😂 I doubt you'll ever find pilight's body anywhere near UConn!

However....this thread HAS gone a bit off the rails Exclamation

PostPosted: 10/20/23 5:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Anyone not aware of how the Body Farms are used to solve murders should read The Body Farm, a book in the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell. The families of a great many murder victims are eternally grateful that the original Body Farm was started by Tennessee.

Further, it is very sad that Pat and some of her players who've followed her footsteps into coaching have been cut down by medical issues. As the daughter of a mother who lived with Alzheimer's and as a breast cancer survivor, I feel these losses deeply.

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 10/20/23 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

honestly this whole tangent is much more interesting than conference play is probably going to be, please feel free to keep going

PostPosted: 10/22/23 7:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Howee wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
pilight wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

Anyone not aware of how the Body Farms are used to solve murders should read The Body Farm, a book in the Kay Scarpetta series by Patricia Cornwell. The families of a great many murder victims are eternally grateful that the original Body Farm was started by Tennessee.

Further, it is very sad that Pat and some of her players who've followed her footsteps into coaching have been cut down by medical issues. As the daughter of a mother who lived with Alzheimer's and as a breast cancer survivor, I feel these losses deeply.

I read a couple in the Kay Scarpetta series but not that one. I'll have to look into it.

I just checked, I read book 1, Postmortem, and book 2 Body of Evidence. The body farm book is book 5 so I'll work my way up to it

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 10/23/23 11:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As mentioned elsewhere, Tasha Butts passed away. Terribly sad.

https://guhoyas.com/news/2023/10/23/womens-basketball-georgetown-athletics-announce-passing-of-head-womens-basketball-coach-tasha-butts.aspx

She just took the job in April so I'm assuming there must have been a significant downturn in her health since then. Georgetown will go with an interim coach for this season. I believe Kelly Mazzante is also on staff.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 10/23/23 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
honestly this whole tangent is much more interesting than conference play is probably going to be, please feel free to keep going

Laughing Laughing Laughing You have that correct!

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/23/23 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fuck cancer and may her memory be a blessing

Go fucking figure, Georgetown actually makes a decent coaching hire and she never gets to coach. So Georgetown.

PostPosted: 10/24/23 10:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Go fucking figure, Georgetown actually makes a decent coaching hire and she never gets to coach. So Georgetown.

And I realize this is likely an administrative oversight, but the news release announcing the preseason poll this morning mentions Georgetown is under the direction of new head coach Tasha Butts. Ugh.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/24/23 12:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Queenie wrote:

And I realize this is likely an administrative oversight, but the news release announcing the preseason poll this morning mentions Georgetown is under the direction of new head coach Tasha Butts. Ugh.

This is Georgetown we're talking about. There's a non-zero chance they're gonna try and claim they're communicating with her in Heaven via Ouija board and thus don't need to hire a new head coach.

(No disrespect is meant to the dead. All disrespect is meant to Georgetown.)

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: