RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Washington Mystics 2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 01/15/24 5:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Delle Donne’s wine is made in Oregon, so maybe she wouldn’t mind going to Seattle. It’s not the worst fit for her.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/15/24 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I was trying to come up with trade scenarios for EDD, assuming she would still want a decent if not max contract (making it difficult for NY or LV to trade for her without sending back a big money player in return) Seattle did come to mind. Seattle has a lot of cap space and pick #4 and a decent young player like Horston, Fankam Menjiadue or Melbourne seems about the right value or a decent starting point to get in return for EDD.

Washington could add two high first round picks #4 and #6 one post (Cardoso, Jackson, Edwards, Kitley, Lee) one guard/wing (Sheldon, Amoore. Osborne) and another young player (Horston, DFM or Melbourne) to a core of Atkins, Sykes, Austin and Egbo, still have enough cap to go free agent shopping and fast forward a rebuild and reset the timeline. While Seattle suddenly has a very potent offensive one two punch with Loyd and EDD, with rising star Magbegor and a some decent role players Nurse, Whitcomb and Russell around them.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/15/24 6:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Worth remembering that just because she now has a QO for the supermax it doesn't mean she *has* to sign for the supermax - whether with Washington or someone else. Still perfectly able to negotiate anything between the vet minimum and the supermax - and if her priority genuinely is 'winning', then most places she'd be going (or staying) would be helped by her taking at least a little less.

Isn't it also possible for the Mystics to get a "sign and trade" deal? If the Mystics can get a decent player out of the deal, that would be HUGE. Note that Chicago got Copper when EDD demanded a trade out of the Sky. Not saying that EDD has demanded a trade here, but she's sufficiently dissatisfied with what the Mystics have offered so far to put out that she's seriously looking for another team. Now, the number of teams who'd be improved by having EDD on the squad is a small number. To consider EDD, a team would have to have a starting PF already and be able to weather EDD's absences from injuries. Plus they need to have the cap space. With all that being said, Indiana might just qualify as they are assembling a winning team. Having a double headed PF of Nalyssa and EDD would be quite something. Not sure if EDD's body will allow her to stay long enough for Indy to win it all...

~rAf
Shades

PostPosted: 01/15/24 6:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Naw, Indiana should continue building through the draft. They’ve gotten Kelsey Mitchell, NaLyssa Smith, Aliyah Boston, and now probably Caitlin Clark all through the draft. That’s a pretty good organic team right there. If they want to add prominent SF through free agency, that would be something to think about.

I bet NaLyssa Smith is campaigning for Dijonnai Carrington to fill that SF role. Carrington didn’t seem too happy with Connecticut.

Last edited by Shades on 01/24/24 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/15/24 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
Worth remembering that just because she now has a QO for the supermax it doesn't mean she *has* to sign for the supermax - whether with Washington or someone else. Still perfectly able to negotiate anything between the vet minimum and the supermax - and if her priority genuinely is 'winning', then most places she'd be going (or staying) would be helped by her taking at least a little less.

I was wondering that. I knew she could negotiate with the Mystics but wasn't sure she could negotiate with the team she was traded to.

Would it be correct that she would have to agree to the trade and negotiate her future contract before signing

and if she wanted to she could just sign the offer which would be for one year with the Mystics at the Supermax

Yes, she could simply sign the QO immediately and would be on a one-year supermax deal.

Yes, she would have to agree to a trade, and the most common way to do that would be to agree where she's going and the contract, then do it as a sign-and-trade. But it would also be possible to trade her rights, the other team would then insta-core her themselves, and then they'd work out the contract afterwards - and she would also have to agree to that trade.

PostPosted: 01/15/24 10:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
When I was trying to come up with trade scenarios for EDD, assuming she would still want a decent if not max contract (making it difficult for NY or LV to trade for her without sending back a big money player in return) Seattle did come to mind. Seattle has a lot of cap space and pick #4 and a decent young player like Horston, Fankam Menjiadue or Melbourne seems about the right value or a decent starting point to get in return for EDD.

Washington could add two high first round picks #4 and #6 one post (Cardoso, Jackson, Edwards, Kitley, Lee) one guard/wing (Sheldon, Amoore. Osborne) and another young player (Horston, DFM or Melbourne) to a core of Atkins, Sykes, Austin and Egbo, still have enough cap to go free agent shopping and fast forward a rebuild and reset the timeline. While Seattle suddenly has a very potent offensive one two punch with Loyd and EDD, with rising star Magbegor and a some decent role players Nurse, Whitcomb and Russell around them.

Hmmm...as a Mystics fan, that would be appealing. The Storm, as a primarily young team DO need a superstar while the Mystics need to get younger and taller. Both the #4 and #6 picks (in this draft) have the potential to become superstars for years. I'm assuming here that with the EDD contract off the table, the Mystics will be able to keep Cloud, one of the best PG's in the league. That would leave height, depth at the wing and back up PG as Mystics priorities. If Cardoso isn't gone by pick 4, I don't know what these GM's are smoking.

In free agency, Kalani Brown is high on my list for the Mystics, a veteran center who can start until Shakira is ready, then come off the bench. That's assuming that both Jonquel and Brionna re-sign with their current teams. Stack up those BIGS, Mystics! We don't want lack of banging height to ever again be the reason we can't go deep into the playoffs. I am not ignoring Queen Egbo, who, when healthy, can do some damage. But I think Cardoso will be a better player.

~rAf
RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/17/24 4:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Basically, the game has changed. Simply look at the college teams and players. Bigger, faster, stronger and rougher. A jumbo front court is the way to go these days to protect the paint, players, gain access to rebounds, block shorts, etc..

With players now emulating A'ja Wilson's bull rushes and getting away with them and in college, players like Angel Reese doing the same thing. It's smart to beef up the front court.

It's like offensive and defensive lines in football.

Minnesota needs to do the same thing, to add another exampled team. Finesse is great but finesse with some muscle is better.

Agree, go jumbo.

SportsGuru

PostPosted: 01/24/24 12:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

Can confirm the Phoenix Mercury have shown interest in acquiring Elena Delle Donne from the Mystics, who have extended a Core qualifying offer to the 2-time MVP. @Khristina first to report. Multiple teams have reached out to Washington about a possible trade for Delle Donne.

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1749578755515752607

IMO, the Mystics asking price should start with the Mercury's 2024 1st Round Lottery Pick plus future 1st Round considerations. Also, a 3 team (Mystics, Mercury & other team) trade involving Myisha Hones Allen.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/24/24 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

2024 WNBA Free Agency: Get ready for the Washington Mystics rebuild

Shades

PostPosted: 01/24/24 10:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:

I was hoping it was the same guy predicting that Delle Donne and Cloud would sign at less than max, but it’s not.

I hope the Mystics go total rebuild and Cloud goes on the her merry way to the Lynx. It’s a perfect fit because Reeve always wants a vocal vet PG. she had Whalen her first year as coach, and it’s been a struggle replacing her. She hates the inexperienced or quiet (or both) choices she’s made lately. They should have the money to do it, so let’s get it done.

Last edited by Shades on 01/25/24 12:44 am; edited 1 time in total
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/24/24 11:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
tfan wrote:

I was hoping it was the same guy predicting that Delle Donne and Cloud would sign at less than max, but it’s not.

I hope the Mystics go total rebuild and Cloud goes on the her merry way to the Lynx. It’s a perfect fit because Reeve always wants a vocal vet PG. she had Whalen her first year as coach, and it’s been a struggle replacing her. She hates the inexperienced or quiet (or both) choices she’s made latel . They should have the money to do it, so let’s get it done.

Now that we have the Minny homer angle, let's get back to what's best for the Mystics. Keep Cloud. Make her the highest paid Mystic.

Also Mystics priority should be skilled HEIGHT. We need a Shakira clone to play when she's injured. (6'5 or taller). The reality of the league is you need that height to compete with the top of the league. If your only 6'5 player is injured, you're SOL, so you need two. I'd go after Kalani Brown hard.

~rAf
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 01/25/24 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

EDD to Connecticut for Brionna Jones is my guess. Cloud stays.

PostPosted: 01/25/24 8:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:

Unless Cloud takes a pay cut or MHA gets traded, I don't see Cloud staying with the Mystics.....Sykes/Atkins/MHA/Jones/Austin will make roughly 895k...If they Paid Cloud 185k...That brings the total for those 6 players to 1,080,000....That would leave about 385k for 6 roster spots...Now I know some people are going to run in here and say they could go with 11 players, but we rarely see that....Especially for a team that isn't a legit title contender.

However, an EDD/Cloud sign/trade to Phoenix for SDS/Players/Picks would not shock me.....Phoenix could give Washington the 2025 1st rd pick then the Mystics could attach the pick to MHA and trade her contract...Clearing enough cap space to sign Nneka

So Wahington ends up with a starting 5 that looks like this

G- SDS
G- Atkins
C- Austin
F- Nneka
F- Sykes

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 01/25/24 8:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don’t believe Phoenix has the ability to trade SDS as she is an UFA.

zune69

PostPosted: 01/25/24 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
I don’t believe Phoenix has the ability to trade SDS as she is an UFA.

Skylar could agree to a sign/trade if that is where she wants to play and/or other teams don't give her the money she wants.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 01/25/24 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you're a UFA the sole reason to agree to a sign-and-trade is to get more than the regular max. Seems unlikely for Diggins-Smith and very unlikely for Cloud.

Also picks that are subject to swaps can't be traded, so Phoenix can't deal their 2025 1st.

PostPosted: 01/25/24 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
If you're a UFA the sole reason to agree to a sign-and-trade is to get more than the regular max. Seems unlikely for Diggins-Smith and very unlikely for Cloud.

Also picks that are subject to swaps can't be traded, so Phoenix can't deal their 2025 1st.

Then Phoenix should offer Washington the 2026 pick...If they say no, there are other FA on the market (Nneka, Sabally, Parker)....Phoenix can get a PF without giving up a 1st rd pk.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/25/24 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eyevolley4 wrote:

Clouds not staying . Unless a miracle can be done at this point .

PostPosted: 01/31/24 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:

Based on Mike T's message today to Mystics fans, it appears both EDD and Cloud will be gone. We'll get someone in return for EDD and room to sign a major FA with Cloud's departure.

~rAf
DTP

PostPosted: 01/31/24 10:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
eyevolley4 wrote:

Based on Mike T's message today to Mystics fans, it appears both EDD and Cloud will be gone. We'll get someone in return for EDD and room to sign a major FA with Cloud's departure.

Unless you think they're in the Diggins conversation, the only major "free agent" on the market left for them would be Canada in a S&T. I get the feeling that's where they're leaning to replace Cloud. Maybe Jefferson in the EDD deal as well from Phx.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/01/24 10:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

Who could have possibly predicted such a thing?

PostPosted: 02/01/24 10:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mystics sign Karlie Samuelson

PostPosted: 02/01/24 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Who could have possibly predicted such a thing?

A week ago who could have ?

PostPosted: 02/01/24 10:57 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I fear the Mystics could be one of the league's worst teams in the next few years. They probably tried to hold on to the 2019 core too long (and I'm still confused that people thought keeping the band together without Meesseman was going to be successful even if everyone stayed healthy). I guess the good news is that they could finally be in line for some top draft picks, assuming they don't trade them away.

I think this org could be a victim of the league's growing stature and success. They aren't going to be able to match the flashy facilities and off-court offerings that teams like NY and Vegas can. Playing in a 4,000-seat arena might have been seen as a positive a few years ago, but it's not going to attract free agents who see Barclays and other NBA-caliber arenas being filled. Leonsis doesn't strike me as someone who is going to spend money to make the team successful (check out how he's done owning the Wizards).

A perfect storm of Mike T's shrewd management and a once-in-a-generation player wanting to be in Washington got them the title in 2019. I just hope we don't see a return of the Mystakes of the early 2000s.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 02/01/24 11:01 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Mystics sign Karlie Samuelson

Well, at least that's someone who can shoot. Not sure how much she will move the needle but this team is in desperate need of three-point threats.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: