RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AP Awards 2023 Season

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BamaEd

PostPosted: 09/12/23 2:29 pm    ::: AP Awards 2023 Season Reply Reply with quote

Since this covers all the awards, I figure it needs its own thread because why not

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38386627/breanna-stewart-edges-aja-wilson-ap-wnba-player-year-honors-1-vote

To recap:
MVP
1. Stewart
2. Wilson
3. Thomas

DPOY
1. Wilson
2. Thomas
3. Sykes

6th Woman
Clark

Comeback Player of the Year
Griner
Collier

MIP
Sabally

COY
White

ROY
Boston

All-Rookie
Boston
Berger
Juhasz
Miller
Horston
Jones

All-WNBA:
1st Team
Stewart
Wilson
Thomas
Loyd
Gray

2nd Team
Young
Ionescu
Ogunbowale
Sabally
Collier

BamaEd

PostPosted: 09/12/23 2:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My thoughts on these

All-WNBA for AP is not positionless, and I'm ok with that. I'm not here for guard erasure. I'm not sure who I would have gone with in place of any of those 10. Lots of players having very good, consistent seasons.

Not surprised Wilson got DPOY, but I would have gone with Sykes, then Thomas. Or Thomas then Sykes. So close between the 2 of them, but I wouldn't have chosen Wilson.

Thoughts from y'all?

jmvcity

PostPosted: 09/12/23 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dulcy F.M. deserves All-Rookie selection.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/12/23 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
My thoughts on these

All-WNBA for AP is not positionless, and I'm ok with that. I'm not here for guard erasure. I'm not sure who I would have gone with in place of any of those 10. Lots of players having very good, consistent seasons.

Not surprised Wilson got DPOY, but I would have gone with Sykes, then Thomas. Or Thomas then Sykes. So close between the 2 of them, but I wouldn't have chosen Wilson.

Thoughts from y'all?

Agree with you on DPOY being Sykes/Thomas or Thomas/Sykes

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/12/23 2:46 pm    ::: Re: AP Awards 2023 Season Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
Since this covers all the awards, I figure it needs its own thread because why not

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38386627/breanna-stewart-edges-aja-wilson-ap-wnba-player-year-honors-1-vote

To recap:
MVP
1. Stewart
2. Wilson
3. Thomas

DPOY
1. Wilson
2. Thomas
3. Sykes

6th Woman
Clark

Griner
Collier

MIP
Sabally

COY
White

ROY
Boston

All-Rookie
Boston
Berger
Juhasz
Miller
Horston
Jones

All-WNBA:
1st Team
Stewart
Wilson
Thomas
Loyd
Gray

2nd Team
Young
Ionescu
Ogunbowale
Sabally
Collier

I would replace Ogunbowale with Dewanna Bonner and replace Ionescu with Sykes.

~rAf
PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/12/23 3:11 pm    ::: Re: AP Awards 2023 Season Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:

To recap:

ROY
Boston

All-Rookie
Boston
Berger
Juhasz
Miller
Horston
Jones

This is one where there will be differences with official team - AP adds an extra player for the six-person team.

Haley Jones feels like the obvious one to leave off, but I suppose you could see both her and Berger left off in favor of Fankam Mendjiadeu.

I am curious if Boston ends up being a unanimous ROY or if Miller gets a vote or two.

ucbart

PostPosted: 09/12/23 4:02 pm    ::: Re: AP Awards 2023 Season Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:

To recap:
MVP
1. Stewart
2. Wilson
3. Thomas

DPOY
1. Wilson
2. Thomas
3. Sykes

6th Woman
Clark

Griner
Collier

MIP
Sabally

COY
White

ROY
Boston

All-Rookie
Boston
Berger
Juhasz
Miller
Horston
Jones

All-WNBA:
1st Team
Stewart
Wilson
Thomas
Loyd
Gray

2nd Team
Young
Ionescu
Ogunbowale
Sabally
Collier

Wilson being DPOY is criminal. How people can watch games and not see that Sykes is the best defender in the league is beyond me. And, it's not just because she went to Syracuse. LOL

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/13/23 4:07 pm    ::: Re: AP Awards 2023 Season Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

To recap:
MVP
1. Stewart
2. Wilson
3. Thomas

DPOY
1. Wilson
2. Thomas
3. Sykes

6th Woman
Clark

Griner
Collier

MIP
Sabally

COY
White

ROY
Boston

All-Rookie
Boston
Berger
Juhasz
Miller
Horston
Jones

All-WNBA:
1st Team
Stewart
Wilson
Thomas
Loyd
Gray

2nd Team
Young
Ionescu
Ogunbowale
Sabally
Collier

Wilson being DPOY is criminal. How people can watch games and not see that Sykes is the best defender in the league is beyond me. And, it's not just because she went to Syracuse. LOL

Agree 100%. Plus her offense took off this year and I feel earned her a spot on All WNBA second team.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/13/23 4:11 pm    ::: Re: AP Awards 2023 Season Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

To recap:
MVP
1. Stewart
2. Wilson
3. Thomas

DPOY
1. Wilson
2. Thomas
3. Sykes

6th Woman
Clark

Griner
Collier

MIP
Sabally

COY
White

ROY
Boston

All-Rookie
Boston
Berger
Juhasz
Miller
Horston
Jones

All-WNBA:
1st Team
Stewart
Wilson
Thomas
Loyd
Gray

2nd Team
Young
Ionescu
Ogunbowale
Sabally
Collier

I would replace Ogunbowale with Dewanna Bonner and replace Ionescu with Sykes.

IMHO, Natasha Howard was equally important to Wings success and Vandersloot was as important as Ionescu for the Libs.

~rAf
Queenie

PostPosted: 09/13/23 10:27 pm    ::: Re: AP Awards 2023 Season Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:

Sykes' biggest obstacle to getting the award might be her own teammate. Cloud's been hyping her own defense up and I just shake my head.

PostPosted: 09/14/23 12:25 am    ::: Re: AP Awards 2023 Season Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
ucbart wrote:

Sykes' biggest obstacle to getting the award might be her own teammate. Cloud's been hyping her own defense up and I just shake my head.

Both should be All Defense first team. But Sykes' leaping ability sets her apart. Put simply, she can do things nobody else her size can do.

~rAf
zune69

PostPosted: 09/14/23 3:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Should Loyd automatically be on the all-first team just because she led the league in scoring?....... Loyd shot 37% from the field and Seattle finished with a .275 win% (11-29).......Last season, Ogunbowale avg nearly 20 ppp on 40% fg but was left off the all-league team despite making the playoff with an 18-18 record.

Arike (2022)- 19.7p/3.6a/3.3r/1.5s/1.8t/40%/35%/80%

This season:
Arike - 21.2p/4.5a/3.4r/1.7s/2.6t/40%/34%/88% Dallas went 22-18

Loyd - 24.7p/3.4a/4.7r1.0s/2.8t/37%/36%/89% Seattle went 11-29

Why should Loyd be on the 1st team ahead of Arike when AO's numbers are just as good and her team won twice as many games?..... If AO had the same statistical season and record as Loyd would people be so quick to put her on the 1st team?... Would they put her on the all-league team period, or call her a chucker/ball hog?

Last edited by zune69 on 09/14/23 7:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
GEF34

PostPosted: 09/14/23 5:43 am    ::: Re: AP Awards 2023 Season Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
BamaEd wrote:

To recap:

ROY
Boston

All-Rookie
Boston
Berger
Juhasz
Miller
Horston
Jones

This is one where there will be differences with official team - AP adds an extra player for the six-person team.

Haley Jones feels like the obvious one to leave off, but I suppose you could see both her and Berger left off in favor of Fankam Mendjiadeu.

I am curious if Boston ends up being a unanimous ROY or if Miller gets a vote or two.

In previous years they have only named 5 to the All Rookie team, so it seems they didn’t break a tie, which I don’t believe the WNBA will do either, so it will just come down to votes and if there is another tie or not.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/14/23 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The WNBA All-Rookie team has had six members twice due to ties.

2008 Matee Ajavon, Nicky Anosike, Sylvia Fowles, Amber Holt, Candace Parker, Candice Wiggins

2015 Natalie Achonwa, Brittany Boyd, Ana Dabovic, Jewell Loyd, Kiah Stokes, Ramu Tokashiki

PostPosted: 09/14/23 3:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Should Loyd automatically be on the all-first team just because she led the league in scoring?

No
Shades

PostPosted: 09/14/23 4:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
zune69 wrote:
Should Loyd automatically be on the all-first team just because she led the league in scoring?

No

With pilight always being the one valuing scoring above all else. I’m surprised he hasn’t chimed in with how often the leading scoring hasn’t made All WNBA first team.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
pilight

PostPosted: 09/14/23 4:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
zune69 wrote:

No

With pilight always being the one valuing scoring above all else. I’m surprised he hasn’t chimed in with how often the leading scoring hasn’t made All WNBA first team.

Not making the first team isn't that uncommon. It's happened as far back as 2002. It's when the scoring champ, playing for a playoff team with a winning record, gets left off entirely that I get annoyed.

PostPosted: 09/15/23 10:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Shades wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
zune69 wrote:

No

Not making the first team isn't that uncommon. It's happened as far back as 2002. It's when the scoring champ, playing for a playoff team with a winning record, gets left off entirely that I get annoyed.

I think I know who you mean, but I will let you clarify if you'd like. If it's who I think, she also got screwed over in MVP voting.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: