RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2024
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Admiral_Needa

PostPosted: 09/10/23 4:34 pm    ::: Phoenix Mercury 2024 Reply Reply with quote

Not a whole lot was expected from this squad this year, and they met expectations.. So many questions, not a lot of answers though Confused Glass still feels half-full, so maybe something can be done in the off-season? Idea

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 09/11/23 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38380874/mercury-star-diana-taurasi-41-says-return-2024

DT intends to play next year.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 09/11/23 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
"I'm excited with what we'll be able to do in free agency and having some salary cap space to make some moves."

Dee, are you hinting that Skylar might not re-sign with the Mercury for next season?? Surprised Shocked Surprised
Quote:
"Next question"

Well ok then.

PostPosted: 09/11/23 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I’ll say 2024 will be DT’s final year. The league will recognize all her accomplishments throughout the season, and she will be feted at the all-star game in Phoenix.

Queenie

PostPosted: 09/11/23 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

at this point should we just assume you have to, like, stake Taurasi and bury her at a crossroads to keep her from coming back?

PostPosted: 09/11/23 10:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
I’ll say 2024 will be DT’s final year. The league will recognize all her accomplishments throughout the season, and she will be feted at the all-star game in Phoenix.

And don't forget, assuming she is physically capable of boarding the plane, Olympic gold medal #6 in Paris.

PostPosted: 09/11/23 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:

You think she wants a farewell tour?

PostPosted: 09/11/23 10:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

You think she *doesn't* want attention?

PostPosted: 09/11/23 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

I would definitely not wager anything I'd lament being rid of that she doesn't want a farewell tour.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
jmvcity

PostPosted: 09/11/23 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Toothache Tour

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/11/23 11:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Loyd and Copper signing extentions took a bite out of my list of who was out there that could instantly turn PX back into a contender, I will try to figure out some other options.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/11/23 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The list of game changing free agents seems pretty short

one idea I like that could be interesting would be N. Ogwumike
I know Nneka is committed to LA but if Chiney decides not to return maybe a chance to play with Griner and DT (they have played together on the National team) could have some appeal. Griner, Ogwumike, Taursi, Jefferson, a lottery pick, Cunningham, Sutton, Turner, Onyenwere that is a decent core

one idea I don't like is DT somehow convincing Stewart to jump ship in NY
I don't think it would happen but Griner and Stewart have played together overseas and there is the National team connection as well

Jonquel Jones and Breanna Jones are also both UFA

S. Sabally is a RFA but I would assume Dallas would match anything PX would put on the table

EDD? Not sure she would ever play anywhere else but Washington,

but EDD and Nneka deciding to ship hunt with DT and Griner for one season (an Olympics) and all retire (except Griner) would be pretty epic. One last hurrah from the previous greats of the last generation.

oh that would be crazy get one of the PGs in the lottery and add EDD and N. Ogwumike

Jefferson/lottery pick
DT/Sutton
EDD/Cunningham
N. Ogwumike/Onyenwere
Griner/Turner

(I wonder if they could get C. Parker to take a vet minimum?) j/k

Last edited by J-Spoon on 01/25/24 1:35 am; edited 5 times in total
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 09/11/23 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The more realistic free agents options that could probably get them back to the playoffs if they added two or three (while also adding their lottery pick and keeping the best of who they developed this year)would be

Dolson, Clarendon, Hayes, Deshields, Powers, Sims, Coffey, Billings, R. Allen, Cannon, KLS, J. Thomas, A. Smith. AD, D Rob,

Coyotes

PostPosted: 09/12/23 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I object to Phoenix going anywhere near Alanna Smith after her renaissance in Chicago.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 09/12/23 3:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
The more realistic free agents options that could probably get them back to the playoffs if they added two or three (while also adding their lottery pick and keeping the best of who they developed this year)would be

Dolson, Clarendon, Hayes, Deshields, Powers, Sims, Coffey, Billings, R. Allen, Cannon, KLS, J. Thomas, A. Smith. AD, D Rob,

Crazy almost half those players listed have already been a merc in the past Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 09/12/23 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

Outside of games, she really doesn’t look for attention. We see her on a weekend (women’s final four) during the off season, no extra television appearances, no ads, no social media..

If Phoenix wants to be good, they really need to get someone who makes Diana not the second best player on the team. I was really hoping for Loyd.

PostPosted: 09/12/23 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
Quote:
"I'm excited with what we'll be able to do in free agency and having some salary cap space to make some moves."

Dee, are you hinting that Skylar might not re-sign with the Mercury for next season?? Surprised Shocked Surprised
Quote:
"Next question"

Well ok then.

there would be a lot more salary cap if she retired.

shontay33

PostPosted: 09/13/23 8:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

I think Powers would be great here but not with DT. DT is an alpha player who has to have the ball to be effective and so does Powers. I wouldn’t want to see Powers in the same situation like she was in with Minnesota.

Cannon came to Phoenix for another stint and was cut. D Rob was in Phoenix too. I think the Mercury should really look to the future at this point and hope they get Clark as the #1 draft pick and build around her.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 09/13/23 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

And don't forget, assuming she is physically capable of boarding the plane, Olympic gold medal #6 in Paris.

I believe she's definitely aiming for that 6th Olympic gold and that she'll then retire, deservedly as GOAT.
zune69

PostPosted: 09/14/23 4:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:

I think Powers would be great here but not with DT. DT is an alpha player who has to have the ball to be effective and so does Powers. I wouldn’t want to see Powers in the same situation like she was in with Minnesota.

No team is winning anything with Powers as a starter and primary offensive option.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 09/14/23 9:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

I believe she's definitely aiming for that 6th Olympic gold and that she'll then retire, deservedly as GOAT.

And the committee has already publicly stated she can be on the Olympic team as long as she wants, even though she wouldn't be a chosen for any other reason but legacy at this point.

pilight

PostPosted: 09/14/23 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:

No team is winning anything with Powers as a starter and primary offensive option.

At this point no team is winning anything with Taurasi as a starter and primary offensive option.

PostPosted: 09/14/23 10:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
zune69 wrote:
shontay33 wrote:

At this point no team is winning anything with Taurasi as a starter and primary offensive option.

1. What does Taurasi have to do with my comment?

2. Griner should be Phoenix's primary offensive option, not DT.

3. You can still win a championship with DT as the 3rd option, you can't say that about Powers.

4. If Phoenix gets a top 2 pick and signs a top 5 Free agent I think can be a top 5 team next season.

mercfan3

PostPosted: 09/14/23 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

And the committee has already publicly stated she can be on the Olympic team as long as she wants, even though she wouldn't be a chosen for any other reason but legacy at this point.

Yup, just like Catchings was.

PostPosted: 09/14/23 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
jmvcity wrote:

Yup, just like Catchings was.

Taurasi has already had her legacy games in 2021, when she was three years older than Catch was for her last Olympics.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: