RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Los Angeles Sparks 2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/08/24 10:23 am    ::: Re: Los Angeles Sparks Name Raegan Pebley General Manager Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
PRballer wrote:
Shades wrote:
SPD wrote:
Los Angeles Sparks Name Raegan Pebley General Manager

The Dallas Wings color commentator? Surprised

That was her side gig. Do your research- long time college coach and former WNBA player.

I knew she was a small time college coach, but this is what most of us know her as. This is a WNBA board. What you say doesn’t make it any less surprising that she was the one chosen for the job.

I love Pea , but even im a bit shocked at this hire . GM ? WTH did they see what she did at TCU or no ? Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 01/15/24 2:13 pm    ::: Re: Los Angeles Sparks Name Raegan Pebley General Manager Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:

I love Pea , but even im a bit shocked at this hire . GM ? WTH did they see what she did at TCU or no ? Laughing Laughing

Trading and drafting seem different to me than recruiting people out of high school.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/16/24 10:41 am    ::: Re: Los Angeles Sparks Name Raegan Pebley General Manager Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

Trading and drafting seem different to me than recruiting people out of high school.

Agreed but she's the same person who believes Odyssey sims is a hall of fame player Confused

PostPosted: 01/16/24 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thank God she's no longer a Dallas Wings commentator!!!!!!! Yes! Yes! Yes! Best Christmas present I ever received!

Hope she does well with the Sparks in her new position and has a long career there!

(Just keep her away from a microphone!!!!)

Go LA!!!

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 01/18/24 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Does LA has cap space to sign Diggins-Smith? I want her in LA

PostPosted: 01/18/24 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:

She's drama. Canada is more than enough at point. We don't need any disharmony or Twitter thugs in the locker room. Minny can have her.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 01/18/24 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:

She's drama. Canada is more than enough at point. We don't need any disharmony or Twitter thugs in the locker room. Minny can have her.

Laughing Laughing Yikes that a strong opinion Laughing Laughing and people get on me for "Preggo my Ego" Laughing Shocked Shocked Very Happy

PostPosted: 01/18/24 4:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Spark4Life wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:

Jas Thomas has retired so we definitely have space. You're allowed your opinion but I still want Skylar in purple and gold. She can even play the 2 and Canada can play the 1 with Lexie as the 6th woman! I also hope Chiney retires and we get Kalani Brown back. Fisher was dumb for trading her. Anybody remember who LA received back in that Kalani Brown trade?

PostPosted: 01/19/24 5:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:

Jas Thomas has retired so we definitely have space. You're allowed your opinion but I still want Skylar in purple and gold. She can even play the 2 and Canada can play the 1 with Lexie as the 6th woman! I also hope Chiney retires and we get Kalani Brown back. Fisher was dumb for trading her. Anybody remember who LA received back in that Kalani Brown trade?

Shades

PostPosted: 01/19/24 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
Fisher was dumb for trading her. Anybody remember who LA received back in that Kalani Brown trade?

Brittney Sykes and Marie Gulich.

Subsequently Sykes was a prominent free agent signing for the Mystics, while Brown signed with Dallas as an injury replacement player.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
jap

PostPosted: 01/20/24 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:

All we have to do now is draft Angel Reese, and between her and Skylar, we will have all the drama we could ever wish for. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/20/24 3:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:
Spark4Life wrote:
hangtyme24 wrote:

All we have to do now is draft Angel Reese, and between her and Skylar, we will have all the drama we could ever wish for. Laughing

Laughing Laughing

pilight

PostPosted: 01/20/24 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jordin Canada likely to seek sign-and-trade from Sparks

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/39350940/jordin-canada-likely-seek-sign-trade-sparks

PostPosted: 01/20/24 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/39350940/jordin-canada-likely-seek-sign-trade-sparks

Welp, sounds like SDS is gonna be a Spark. Just when I thought LA was ready to leave the drama behind...

~rAf
jap

PostPosted: 01/20/24 8:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Welp, sounds like SDS is gonna be a Spark. Just when I thought LA was ready to leave the drama behind...

This is Hollywood, after all. After Lisa Leslie, Ace, Wiggins, and Hollywood Liz, the directors must be thirsting for more drama. Nneka is always the Calming Influence. Let's see whether we go after blue-collar workers like Nneka or more Drama Queens. Diggins-Smith and Angel Reese are the free agent/rookie drama couple.

Last edited by jap on 01/21/24 2:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 01/20/24 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So why would Canada seek a sign and trade?

Is it actually her "seeking" this — or is it LA's version of moving her intentionally? She is from the LA area and the PG spot appears to be hers, especially with J Thomas announcing her retirement. Confused.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/20/24 11:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:

Is it actually her "seeking" this — or is it LA's version of moving her intentionally? She is from the LA area and the PG spot appears to be hers, especially with J Thomas announcing her retirement. Confused.

Thanks for asking this question because I feel the same way 🧐🤔.

PostPosted: 01/21/24 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:

If Sparks told Canada they're getting a premiere PG, she's good enough to be THE #1 PG elsewhere.

~rAf
Rock Hard

PostPosted: 01/21/24 2:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

If Sparks told Canada they're getting a premiere PG, she's good enough to be THE #1 PG elsewhere.

I love Canada. But I don't love her that much to pay her a super max salary. I am wondering what team would be willing to pay her that much money because that is superstar money 💰.

PostPosted: 01/21/24 2:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rock Hard wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Hoops9092 wrote:

I love Canada. But I don't love her that much to pay her a super max salary. I am wondering what team would be willing to pay her that much money because that is superstar money 💰.

I agree this seems like a weird move.

If LA didn't want her they could just let her walk and use their cap money on the new PG.

If they didn't want to let her go for nothing their only choice was to core her, but like EDD in Washington Canada could just sign it and get the super max for a year in LA (I also like Canada but am shocked she can get a super max deal).
IF LA is signing SDS Canada and SDS can play together IMO so I don't think she would have to leave.

Now if LA made a lower offer but was getting wind of another team being willing to make a bigger offer I could see risking coring her in hopes of doing a sign and trade, but 1. if she is cored you can only trade Canada to a team she wants to go to and 2. that team has to be willing to pay her a big contract even if she decides to go less than super max for multi years probably not that much less and 3. that team would have to send back assets and they would likely have to be decent assets if you think Canada is a super max player and 4. that team would most likely have to make some cap room to fit Canada unless they are one of the teams with a lot of cap.

Running through the teams here is the best I can come up with and this doesn't take in to account what Canada would be looking for in a new home

The best I can do is
Wash
Double sign and trade Canada for Cloud
Double sign and trade Canada for EDD (could be interesting)
Dallas
Double sign and trade Canada for Sabally (maybe LA has to send something else as well)
Atl
I like the fit but what do they send back A. McDonald and the #8 pick?
Chey. Parker?
Indy
With Clark likely the #1 pick and Mitchell and Wheeler Indy probably isn't a good fit or on the same timeline as Canada, maybe if they send Mitchell back LA, or N. Smith but I don't see it
Sea
go back to Seattle maybe? But for what, Russell and something? the #4 pick? Horston and Nurse? (I assume Loyd and Magbegor are off the table)
LV
can't afford her without sending back part of the championship core
NY
can't afford her unless they are sending back CVS,
or doing a sign and trade with J. Jones, don't really see it
Canada for Laney? We could start Thornton at SF but Canada would have to come off the bench behind CVS and Ionescu still don't see it.
Minny
seems like a good landing spot but again what comes back The #7 pick and something? obviously not Collier, would LA want McBride?
PX
if we assume they are re-signing DT and Griner maybe they could flip Cunningham and something to make it work? If they are 100% sure Bueckers and another top prospect aren't coming out the #3 pick? No still seems too risky.
Conn
Double sign and trade for B. Jones? could be interesting Bonner and A. Thomas kept Conn competitive without her maybe a true PG with great defense and they lean into small While Breezy reunites with Miller?
Chi
Canada for Mabrey?
Canada Sign and trade for A. Smith and something?

(I wonder if Copper or Loyd are showing some behind the scenes regret for staying with their current teams?)

maybe something I haven't listed

Definitely curious how this plays out
Won't be shocked if we see Canada in LA in 24 despite the article above saying she will seek a sign and trade

hangtyme24

PostPosted: 01/22/24 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rumor in Twitter is that Nneka is leaving LA and its either between NY or Seattle.
People are saying Jones isn't returning to NY also. Hope LA can get Jonquel if Nneka is really leaving.

PostPosted: 01/22/24 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jap wrote:

and sign Chennedy Carter too.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/22/24 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

hangtyme24 wrote:
Rumor in Twitter is that Nneka is leaving LA and its either between NY or Seattle.
People are saying Jones isn't returning to NY also. Hope LA can get Jonquel if Nneka is really leaving.

If Nneka went to Seattle
I think the Storm could be a good landing spot for Canada as well
#4 and say Horston

Seattle could start
Canada, Loyd, Nurse, Ogwumike and Magbegor ((pretty solid line up to compete)
LA could reload for a future time line with #2, #4, Horston filling the whole at SF or add SDS and one of the Jones if they want now and future

If NY loses JJ Nneka would be a good replacement

Shades

PostPosted: 01/22/24 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle let Canada go, but I can’t remember the circumstances. If there wasn’t a trade, they must have just let her sign where she wanted. Now she wants to return to Seattle?? Seems unimaginable, but her wanting to leave LAS was unpredictable too. That’s her home turf and she did well. I wonder if the Sparks let her know they had an interest in Diggins. A theory.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
J-Spoon

PostPosted: 01/22/24 8:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tbh I do not remember why Canada and Seattle broke up. She was sort of heir apparent to Bird but then it didn’t happen. I believe she left as a free agent and don’t remember there being hard feelings. Maybe Seattle wasn’t ready to commit 100% to Canada as the stater maybe LA offered more not sure.

But a lot has changed for Canada the last two years and wanting to leave LA is a little surprising but if Nneka goes to Seattle a big four of Loyd, Ogwumike, Magbegor and Canada seems like a great fit. And if Nneka is going there Seattle would clearly be making win now moves and I could see Canada making a lot of sense. If not Canada Cloud to Seattle also works.

Still wondering why LA wouldn’t just keep Canada but fun with rumors

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: