RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Auburn v Alabama

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/08/06 10:01 pm    ::: Auburn v Alabama Reply Reply with quote

Auburn 54
Alabama 68

Maybe if their coach had been focused on the game Rolling Eyes

Kelli

PostPosted: 01/09/06 9:59 am    ::: Re: Auburn v Alabama Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Auburn 54
Alabama 68

And YOU know that she wasn't??? Were you in the practices leading up to the game? Were in the pre-game discussions? Were you in the huddles? Gee, what does one have to do to get that type of access??? Please be so kind as to let me in on your wonderful secret!!!!!!!!!!! I'm BEGGING you!!!!!!

Now back to reality...

Just because she was doing commentary on Saturday isn't worth the time you've spent on it. Does Kristy do nothing except game prep 100% of the time? What does she do, adopt her kids out during the season? Have all meals delivered, and a stranger off the street to tuck them in at night? What about reports of coaches attending a high school game the evening before a game? Where is your criticism of those coaches? Time to get over it and move on.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:09 am    ::: Re: Auburn v Alabama Reply Reply with quote

Kelli wrote:
PUmatty wrote:
Auburn 54
Alabama 68

And YOU know that she wasn't??? Were you in the practices leading up to the game? Were in the pre-game discussions? Were you in the huddles? Gee, what does one have to do to get that type of access??? Please be so kind as to let me in on your wonderful secret!!!!!!!!!!! I'm BEGGING you!!!!!!

Now back to reality...

Just because she was doing commentary on Saturday isn't worth the time you've spent on it. Does Kristy do nothing except game prep 100% of the time? What does she do, adopt her kids out during the season? Have all meals delivered, and a stranger off the street to tuck them in at night? What about reports of coaches attending a high school game the evening before a game? Where is your criticism of those coaches? Time to get over it and move on.

Being with children or attending a game to recruit is a very different thing, IMO, than traveling across the country to talk about other teams. How many coaches fly from Alabama to New York to watch high school game? If I am wrong, please feel free to inform me, as I am sure you will.

In this case, she was unable to travel with her team to the game the day before. She was unable to do any sort of coaching during their walk-throughs on the Alabama court. And, she sent a message to her to team that self-promotion was more important that the team. At least that is the message I would have gotten in the situation had I been on the team.

As well as Auburn is doing this season, I would think a coach would want to be doing everything she could to prepare for their games. A double-digit loss to a team with a losing record would indicate that she did not do as much as she should have.

Of course, I shouldn't expect you to every think anything Fortner did isn't perfect. You are the person who actually thought the Fever would take your threats into account when getting rid of a coach who had never had a winning record and had only been to .500 once. I wonder what you would say if this was a coach that you hate?

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:20 am    ::: Re: Auburn v Alabama Reply Reply with quote

Anyone watch the game? Did Auburn look unfocused, or badly prepared (e.g. running the wrong kind of defense for what Alabama brings)? Or did they just get outplayed?

Fortner's second career brings positives (national recruiting profile for a team that hasn't been able to recruit nationally) and negatives (major competition for her time): I don't know enough to be able to weigh them against one another, and at the least I'd have to watch a few Auburn games to even have an opinion. It's plausible that her announcing work hurts her team, especially if her assistants aren't very good, but I just don't know.

desafiada6

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not sure if it affected her team's performance and what not but I will say that I was surprised Shocked to see her in the studio for the games on Saturday. It's not something that I would expect from a head coach while the season is going on. But hey, to each his...her own.

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:40 am    ::: Re: Auburn v Alabama Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Anyone watch the game? Did Auburn look unfocused, or badly prepared (e.g. running the wrong kind of defense for what Alabama brings)? Or did they just get outplayed?

Fortner's second career brings positives (national recruiting profile for a team that hasn't been able to recruit nationally) and negatives (major competition for her time): I don't know enough to be able to weigh them against one another, and at the least I'd have to watch a few Auburn games to even have an opinion. It's plausible that her announcing work hurts her team, especially if her assistants aren't very good, but I just don't know.

Sue Guevara enters her second season with the Tigers bringing a multitude of experience at the Division I level, joining the staff in April 2004. Prior to coming to Auburn, Guevara led the Michigan Wolverines for seven seasons including a 123-82 record during that period.

Carla McGhee enters her second season with the Tigers as she came to the Plains from Temple, where she served as an assistant to Dawn Staley for one season and brings national championship, as well as WNBA experience along with her.

Kerry Cremeans came to Auburn in the spring of 2004 with 10 years of coaching experience to her credit and is considered one of the top recruiters in the country as she enters her second season with the Tigers.
A 1994 graduate of Florida and four-year basketball letterwinner, Cremeans worked as an assistant for her alma mater in 2003-04, but has direct ties to head coach Nell Fortner, which brought her to the Plains.

More than adequate assistants.

-Tamika Catchings
CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't look for McGhee or Creamons do be there much longer. A change is being made...and soon.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CamrnCrz1974 wrote:
Don't look for McGhee or Creamons do be there much longer. A change is being made...and soon.

Having Cremeans there is a bad idea anyway. I like her, but not at Auburn.

Last edited by PUmatty on 01/09/06 11:02 am; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:55 am    ::: Re: Auburn v Alabama Reply Reply with quote

accommodatingly wrote:
Fortner's second career brings positives (national recruiting profile for a team that hasn't been able to recruit nationally)

Auburn's freshpersons this year are from Alabama, Alabama, Alabama, Louisiana, and Texas. Is that more national than what was happening under Ciampi?

PostPosted: 01/09/06 9:18 pm    ::: Auburn vs Alabama Reply Reply with quote

Hey Cam,
I thought McGhee was out for medical reasons? Or is that just a ruse?

Personally I don't think Nell doing the commentary for CBS was the reason her team didn't win. Auburn is young and they make too many freshmen mistakes right now. Give them a couple years and more teaching. They have a chance to develop into a very nice team.
Don't know what some of you have against Fortner, but I think she's a decent coach. Her players sure like her. She may not be a Pat or Geno but not many coaches are. I'm willing to give her a chance at establishing her program at Auburn before throwing her to the wolves.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/09/06 9:21 pm    ::: Re: Auburn vs Alabama Reply Reply with quote

MadDog22 wrote:
Hey Cam,
I thought McGhee was out for medical reasons? Or is that just a ruse?

Personally I don't think Nell doing the commentary for CBS was the reason her team didn't win. Auburn is young and they make too many freshmen mistakes right now. Give them a couple years and more teaching. They have a chance to develop into a very nice team.
Don't know what some of you have against Fortner, but I think she's a decent coach. Her players sure like her. She may not be a Pat or Geno but not many coaches are. I'm willing to give her a chance at establishing her program at Auburn before throwing her to the wolves.

I have nothing against Fortner. She has coached two of my favorite teams. But I thought this was very bad form.

MadDog22

PostPosted: 01/09/06 11:55 pm    ::: Fortner Reply Reply with quote

Fair enough, PUmatty. Maybe Nell looks at it differently now and will reconsider any further commentating duties during the season.
While I think it's possible to do both (within reason), the more common perception may favor the opinion of "bad form". I'm sure she is hearing feedback from various sources. If her team or her assistants had an issue with it, I hope they tell her.

jimmyk

PostPosted: 01/10/06 12:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, if I was at Auburn and about to play Alabama in damn near anything, I don't care if it's dominoes, you bet your rear end that I'm not going to work for ESPN the day before.

Well.....I'm from Tennessee, so hey. That makes even MORE sense than it did when I first thought it up! Cool

CamrnCrz1974

PostPosted: 01/10/06 1:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mark Simons will be the new assistant coach at Auburn. He is the former men's head coach at Elon. He is also Gail Goestenkors' husband.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: