RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Transfers, Injuries, Redshirts, Sitouts 2023-24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/20/23 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Tennessee PG Destinee Wells out for the season with a lower leg injury suffered in practice. Kaia Wynn and Edie Darby to be the backups behind starter Jewel Spear.
https://www.wate.com/sports/orange-and-white-nation/tennessee-basketball/lady-vols-guard-destinee-wells-out-for-the-season/

PostPosted: 12/29/23 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Rory Harmon of Texas is out for the season with an ACL injury. Apparently happened in practice

tfan

PostPosted: 12/30/23 11:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

TechDawgMc wrote:
Rory Harmon of Texas is out for the season with an ACL injury. Apparently happened in practice

That's a huge loss. All-America candidate and The Athletic ran a November 30, 2023 article titled:

"Stronger and faster? How Texas’ Rori Harmon became the best 2-way point guard in America"

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 01/03/24 8:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND down to 7 healthy players. Freshman Emma Risch to have surgery on her hip, ending her season.

https://wsbt.com/sports/content/risch-to-undergo-season-ending-hip-surgery#

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
summertime blues

PostPosted: 01/04/24 12:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
ND down to 7 healthy players. Freshman Emma Risch to have surgery on her hip, ending her season.

Oh brother. Maybe they need to recruit more? Have more players on the bench?

PostPosted: 01/04/24 5:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Oh brother. Maybe they need to recruit more? Have more players on the bench?

ND was hit by a lot of transfers out during Ivey's first couple of years, hurting the increase in roster size. They were in the process of getting a decent number, but 5 are currently out with injury (Besides Risch, there's Miles, Citron (supposedly expected back soon), Prosper (no idea when she's due back, but presumably not season ending), and Brown (haven't heard anything about her).

I mean, you can talk trying to keep up your roster size, but 5 players out is quite a lot to account for. If they were healthy, that would be a 12 player roster, which is pretty standard for the sport.

tfan

PostPosted: 01/04/24 8:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

I mean, you can talk trying to keep up your roster size, but 5 players out is quite a lot to account for. If they were healthy, that would be a 12 player roster, which is pretty standard for the sport.

There are 13 listed on their roster page.

https://fightingirish.com/sports/wbball/roster/

Howee

PostPosted: 01/04/24 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

Am I mistaken, or is there some kind of *hardship* clause that allows teams affected to this degree to have some walk-ons allowed?

PostPosted: 01/05/24 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU keeps 14, even though the freshmen don't usually play. Right now they are playing about 11 of them on a pretty regular basis., kind of platoon style. It's working surprisingly well, as the chemistry is really good between certain players and groups.

PostPosted: 01/05/24 4:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
CBiebel wrote:

There are 13 listed on their roster page.

https://fightingirish.com/sports/wbball/roster/

Only 12 are scholarship players. The 13th is Sarah Cernugel (https://fightingirish.com/sports/wbball/roster/season/2023-24/player/sarah-cernugel/), who is a walk-on who was granted a scholarship this season over the summer. This is her 3rd season with the team and over the past 3 seasons she has played 64 minutes over 29 games and scored a total of 20 points. She is a great worker and crowd favorite, but she is not up to Division 1 play. But in the last game against Pitt, she would have had to play if any of 3 players with 4 fouls had picked up their 5th. Nat Marshall had already fouled out (in 12 minutes iof play), Maddie Westbeld had to leave the game near the end of third quarter because of getting hit in the head (and she also had 4 fouls), leaving the Irish very vulnerable with 3 other players with 4 fouls (Hannah Hildago, Kylee Watson, and Becky Obinma). Sarah was that close to entering the game.

If Maddie suffered a concussion, then Notre Dame will only have 6 scholarship players (and the walk-on) available for North Carolina on Sunday.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 01/05/24 5:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As you noted, Sarah Cernugel earned a scholarship this past summer so technically they have 13 scholarship players. True, she does not play much but she definitely contributes to the team in other ways. Here's a social media post of Ivey informing Cernugel and the team that Cernugel earned a scholarship. I'm so impressed with Ivey and what she said here is one of the reasons why.

https://twitter.com/ndwbb/status/1694840744580710607?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1694852706836283437%7Ctwgr%5E4ecc838f507e899310c3e7d3b921118ebdc239f5%7Ctwcon%5Es3_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Ffightingirishwire.usatoday.com%2F2023%2F10%2F05%2Fwatch-notre-dames-sarah-cernugel-announced-as-scholarship-player%2F

Howee

PostPosted: 01/20/24 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just saw that Ayoka Lee (K - St) is out of commission for 4 weeks with an ankle surgery. Not a good sign for the (current) leaders of the Big 12.

PostPosted: 02/17/24 6:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hevynne Bristow and Kseniiia Kozlova of James Madison are both out with what may be season-ending (and in Bristow's case, career-ending, since she's a senior) lower-leg injuries. Bristow's was suffered in the game this past Thursday night against Georgia State when she was shoved by a Georgia State player and went down hard. She was down for several minutes and we feared a concussion but it was this instead. She's walking around in a boot. Kozlova's may be more severe as she's not only in a boot but using a scooter, so possibly a foot injury. Unclear as to when this happened as she was not dressed out for the GA State game. Either way, it hurts the team severely as the substitute post players don't bring the fire nearly as much.

PostPosted: 02/21/24 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Is the transfer portal open already? Because JMU has a signee for next season.....

PostPosted: 02/21/24 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Is the transfer portal open already? Because JMU has a signee for next season.....

Just read the release, this sounds like a grad transfer. This year was her 5th COVID year so she likely already has a degree; and she'll get a redshirt for 24-25 since she only played in 6 games this season.

PostPosted: 02/26/24 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

JMU reserve G Amira Williams was injured Saturday in the game against Appalachian State. Not sure exactly, but it looked like an ACL. My heart breaks for this girl, who just got back from a concussion. She doesn't play a lot, but she's valuable when she does---my husband and I call her "the disruptor" because that's exactly what she does. She's a redshirt junior but participated in Senior Night so doubtful if she will come back. She has plans to go to law school.

PostPosted: 03/01/24 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Davidson Cancels Remainder of 2023-24 Season

https://davidsonwildcats.com/news/2024/3/1/womens-basketball-womens-basketball-cancels-remainder-of-2023-24-season

PostPosted: 03/01/24 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

https://davidsonwildcats.com/news/2024/3/1/womens-basketball-womens-basketball-cancels-remainder-of-2023-24-season

That's unfortunate. As an aside, I took a look at Davidson's roster after reading your post and noticed that at least a third of the team is from Australia. Somebody at Davidson has got the hook-up in the land Down Under.

P.S.-The do have the hook-up. Asst. Coach James Janssen is an Aussie native himself.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/01/24 6:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
pilight wrote:

That's unfortunate. As an aside, I took a look at Davidson's roster after reading your post and noticed that at least a third of the team is from Australia. Somebody at Davidson has got the hook-up in the land Down Under.

P.S.-The do have the hook-up. Asst. Coach James Janssen is an Aussie native himself.

That's gotta be especially tough, after such a good start. They beat Duke right after they had UNC on the ropes.

PostPosted: 03/03/24 5:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wonder how Molly Davis's injury in the Iowa game against Ohio State will impact the team in the B1G tourney. I have no idea how severe the injury but hope she's ok. Iowa's not my team but I hate to see any player get injured.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/03/24 6:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
Wonder how Molly Davis's injury in the Iowa game against Ohio State will impact the team in the B1G tourney. I have no idea how severe the injury but hope she's ok. Iowa's not my team but I hate to see any player get injured.

Fair question. However, I remember she mised 2 (?) games recently (some kind of illness, as I recall) and they were fine without her. But I DO love watching her in action.

PostPosted: 03/03/24 9:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

Fair question. However, I remember she mised 2 (?) games recently (some kind of illness, as I recall) and they were fine without her. But I DO love watching her in action.

Heartbroken for Davis. INCREDIBLY hard worker who did not deserve her career to (likely) end like that. Grateful for what she has contributed to the team in just two short seasons.

I would argue we really could have used Davis in the 4th quarter of the Nebraska game when Clark was being box-and-1-ed and we didn't have another ball handler on the floor.

PostPosted: 03/04/24 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i wouldn't be surprised if she has a foot and knee injury... she had one of those 'inward' twisted/rolled ankles that seem to have caused the knee injury. i was very shocked it ended up being more knee-related.

tfan

PostPosted: 03/04/24 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

They have 15 on their roster. How many are injured?

Queenie

PostPosted: 03/04/24 7:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
pilight wrote:

They have 15 on their roster. How many are injured?

My understanding from a Davidson fan on Reddit is that they were down to 6 scholarship players they could dress, several of whom were nursing minor injuries of their own. Four different players tore their ACLs over the course of the year.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: