RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2024 WNBA MVP early favorites

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 05/01/24 1:08 pm    ::: 2024 WNBA MVP early favorites Reply Reply with quote

Alyssa Thomas: The Sun will have Brionna Jones back. That should cause a hit to Thomas’s PPG and rebounds. I’m not sure of the Sun PG system yet. If they actually employ one, Thomas’s assists might take a hit too. I think it’s going to be tougher for her to rack up triple doubles this season, therefore the MVP hype for her will subside. Although, if it happens that there is no standout candidate this season, she could be considered for a sympathy award like Catchings got. She’s at that age.

Caitlin Clark: Will she have a target on her back? Will it matter? It would actually be very good for the league if she did very well, so maybe the refs will be on her side. The refs were certainly in love with Delle Donne in her MVP season. If Clark can end up with something like 25 ppg and 8 apg, she would be undeniable. With Clark, I’m not daring to say it’s unlikely until I see some games.

Brittney Griner: The player that was born with the greatest gifts but has no MVP’s to show for it. I thought she should have won the year Jonquel Jones, but the media decided team strength was important that year. To me, Griner might be the most underachieving player ever, given her gifts. I envisioned multiple MVP’s at this point in her career. Will she ever win league MVP? Time to step up and show some grit.

I’d have Gray higher than Ionescu if she’s 100%.

Collier should probably be higher given her success last year and how she’s looked with Team USA.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
eyevolley4

PostPosted: 05/01/24 6:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ultimately, we are likely headed towards Aja, Stewie, Jewel, Clark, Griner, Arike, Phee, and AT as the key options. I don’t have options for Chicago, Washington, Atlanta, and LA.

If the Fever get a top four seed, is Clark MVP?

I think it will be hard not to attribute improvement in record to her, assuming she earns and retains the starting position.

If Las Vegas and New York are the top two, the novelty of their top player won’t be there. I do believe it will be surprising to see Clark average more than like 15 points and 6 assists - and those aren’t MVP numbers. But if she gets to 20 ppg and over 5 assists, and Fever are top 4… the voters will get sucked right in and vote her.

It feels like Seattle will be tough to have an MVP candidate when Skylar, Jewel, and Nneka all sit around the same threshold. Those 3 all could be fighting for All-WNBA slots however.

If Indiana is outside the Top 5 (super likely with Connecticut still around and Atlanta/Seattle taking a big step forward in talent), can you even argue Clark MVP? I don’t think so.

PostPosted: 05/01/24 8:49 pm    ::: Re: 2024 WNBA MVP early favorites Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

Alyssa Thomas: The Sun will have Brionna Jones back. That should cause a hit to Thomas’s PPG and rebounds. I’m not sure of the Sun PG system yet. If they actually employ one, Thomas’s assists might take a hit too. I think it’s going to be tougher for her to rack up triple doubles this season, therefore the MVP hype for her will subside. Although, if it happens that there is no standout candidate this season, she could be considered for a sympathy award like Catchings got. She’s at that age.

Caitlin Clark: Will she have a target on her back? Will it matter? It would actually be very good for the league if she did very well, so maybe the refs will be on her side. The refs were certainly in love with Delle Donne in her MVP season. If Clark can end up with something like 25 ppg and 8 apg, she would be undeniable. With Clark, I’m not daring to say it’s unlikely until I see some games.

Brittney Griner: The player that was born with the greatest gifts but has no MVP’s to show for it. I thought she should have won the year Jonquel Jones, but the media decided team strength was important that year. To me, Griner might be the most underachieving player ever, given her gifts. I envisioned multiple MVP’s at this point in her career. Will she ever win league MVP? Time to step up and show some grit.

I’d have Gray higher than Ionescu if she’s 100%.

Collier should probably be higher given her success last year and how she’s looked with Team USA.

I have the big 3 from last year in the running (Aja, Breanna, Alyssa) plus Aliyah Boston and Chelsea Gray. Griner's Achilles heel has been her (lack of) rebounding. It's possible with a solid PG this year, she'll be so dominant at scoring and blocking, she'll be undeniable but a post who's not top 10 in rebounding winning MVP is rare. I suspect that Phoenix putting all their chips in on Kahleah Copper was due to Griner playing with her on the National team tour. Kah was by far the best player on the floor and made DT look like a stationery bike.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 05/01/24 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You gotta figure it'll be Stewart and Wilson again.

The Sun won't be as good and it will likely affect Thomas' numbers.

Clark and Ionescu are names known by casual fans, so they have better odds in Vegas than they do in reality.

Griner may still garner some sympathy votes from her captivity if she's in the hunt, but the Merc aren't likely to be in the top half of the standings so she's a longshot.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: