0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 37

BamaEd

PostPosted: 10/05/23 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="jmvcity"][quote="BamaEd"]
adamj95 wrote:
Quote:

Conferences only mean anything with POW/POM anyway. Even the all-star game is conference-less. If they did move them, that would leave Dallas as the only Central Time zone team in the Western Conference. All others would be in Pacific Time (well, AZ would be on the same time as Pacific during the WNBA season since they don't observe DST).

Conference play also counts for Commissioner’s Cup.

Haha I keep forgetting that's a thing.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/05/23 3:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toronto sounds like they were really enthusiastic until they realized the WNBA expected to be treated and respected like an actual professional league.

PostPosted: 10/05/23 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Toronto sounds like they were really enthusiastic until they realized the WNBA expected to be treated and respected like an actual professional league.

Explain, please.

PostPosted: 10/05/23 5:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

https://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/mlse-pulled-out-of-the-wnba-expansion-bidding-leaving-hopes-of-a-toronto-franchise-in/article_4dfb833f-09d8-59a9-81db-0fa703e7cd4b.html

Quote:
Multiple basketball sources confirm MLSE’s board has decided against bidding to add to its collection of franchises with the first WNBA team outside of the United States.

Queenie

PostPosted: 10/05/23 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yeah, the two stumbling blocks that were rumored on Twitter were that MLSE balked at the $50 million expansion fee, and that they didn't want to use Scotiabank Arena because the concert revenue was too important to them

PostPosted: 10/05/23 11:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
adamj95 wrote:
Quote:
Conferences can be easily re-aligned in a Portland/Bay Area set of additions, with multiple front office members telling The Next the expectation would be that the league would move the Minnesota Lynx to the Eastern Conference.

Interesting.

Conferences only mean anything with POW/POM anyway. Even the all-star game is conference-less. If they did move them, that would leave Dallas as the only Central Time zone team in the Western Conference. All others would be in Pacific Time (well, AZ would be on the same time as Pacific during the WNBA season since they don't observe DST).

Dallas & Minnesota would qualify.

PostPosted: 10/14/23 8:04 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2023/10/13/nba-boston-celtics-wnba-expansion-team-wyc-grousbeck-comments-quotes-analysis/

Wyc Grousbeck says ‘there’s some discussions underway’ about a WNBA team coming to Boston

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/14/23 8:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/AASEGOakland/status/1712280213902798881

This seems like face savings from the league. It’s absurd that the league would legit put a team in Oakland and San Francisco.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/16/23 9:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
https://twitter.com/AASEGOakland/status/1712280213902798881

This seems like face savings from the league. It’s absurd that the league would legit put a team in Oakland and San Francisco.

I dont see anything wrong , shoot the Lakers and clippers share the same city and arena Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 10/16/23 5:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When everyone's making money hand over fist and there are global TV deals in the billions you can have two teams on top of each other. Part of the point of expansion is to increase your market reach and total fanbase, which is heavily linked to the places where franchises exist. It makes no sense to add two teams right next to each other, unless there are overwhelming additional reasons (like a random owner says "I'll give you $500m for the franchise").

I'd be stunned if Oakland gets a team as well as San Francisco. I'm a little surprised it looks like they're adding Portland when they already have Seattle, but I guess that's considered far enough (and the ownership is committed/wealthy enough).

PostPosted: 10/16/23 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
When everyone's making money hand over fist and there are global TV deals in the billions you can have two teams on top of each other. Part of the point of expansion is to increase your market reach and total fanbase, which is heavily linked to the places where franchises exist. It makes no sense to add two teams right next to each other, unless there are overwhelming additional reasons (like a random owner says "I'll give you $500m for the franchise").

I'd be stunned if Oakland gets a team as well as San Francisco. I'm a little surprised it looks like they're adding Portland when they already have Seattle, but I guess that's considered far enough (and the ownership is committed/wealthy enough).

Portlanders are generally not going to root for a Seattle team. There is a reason that the Giants and 49ers have reach up that far.
tfan

PostPosted: 10/17/23 12:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sounds like Toronto treated getting a WNBA team like adding a new business, if the rumors are correct.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/01/23 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA shelves plans to expand to Portland

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2023/11/wnba-shelves-plans-to-expand-to-portland.html

Quote:
In her letter, Engelbert cited plans for renovations to Moda Center, the home of the Trail Blazers, as a sticking point. She said the renovations, “anticipated to take place during consecutive summers” had led to the decision to hold off on expanding to Portland “until the timing and scope of arena improvements are settled.”

PostPosted: 11/01/23 3:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.oregonlive.com/sports/2023/11/wnba-shelves-plans-to-expand-to-portland.html

Quote:
In her letter, Engelbert cited plans for renovations to Moda Center, the home of the Trail Blazers, as a sticking point. She said the renovations, “anticipated to take place during consecutive summers” had led to the decision to hold off on expanding to Portland “until the timing and scope of arena improvements are settled.”

Dang. This is not good. Apparently issues with the arena being under renovations 2 summers in a row.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/01/23 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

Quote:

Dang. This is not good. Apparently issues with the arena being under renovations 2 summers in a row.

Yeah, well look at what happened to established teams when kicked out of their arena for summer renovations and playing at a civic center or podunk U. No way they can start a franchise while playing at a lesser venue.

~rAf
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 11/01/23 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

Quote:

Yeah, well look at what happened to established teams when kicked out of their arena for summer renovations and playing at a civic center or podunk U. No way they can start a franchise while playing at a lesser venue.

I know some people will be annoyed with Englebert but she’s setting a high bar for expansion teams and it’s a good thing. Tough decision to defer awarding the franchise but likely the right call at this time.

I wonder if there is another team with a realistic bud that could emerge in place of Portland.

Hoops9092

PostPosted: 11/01/23 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Why does Golden State have to wait 2 years? Seems like there is plenty of time for a 2024 launch, especially with Lacob and crew leading the way.

GEF34

PostPosted: 11/01/23 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:
Why does Golden State have to wait 2 years? Seems like there is plenty of time for a 2024 launch, especially with Lacob and crew leading the way.

No matter who is in charge having less that a year to prepare doesn't seem like the ideal situation. The draft will be in April so a coaching staff would have to be hired before then, you want to give them ample time to scout, plus you have the expansion draft and free agency that has to be prepped for. So while the start date of the WNBA season probably wouldn't be an issue per se, the other stuff that needs to be done leading up to it would be cutting it kind of close, why not take the extra time to prep, do interviews, do your due diligence to make sure you are prepared going into the expansion draft, free agency period, scouting and then the draft. It will be more likely less than a year before announcements are made regarding hires, and would be about a year a half from the first announcement of the team before tip off of their inaugural game.

pilight

PostPosted: 11/01/23 9:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hoops9092 wrote:

The Dream expansion was announced mid-October 2007 to begin play in 2008. They got it done, but it was a rush job that had the front office playing catch up for years. I would not recommend speeding through the process like that.

PostPosted: 11/01/23 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Portland expansion put on the back burner with Moda Center about to go through 2 summers of renovations. Why they couldn't play at Veteran's Memorial until Moda Center is ready is beyond me.

Hawkeye

PostPosted: 11/01/23 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The could play at Veteran's Memorial while Moda is renovated. Just seems a bit short-sighted---or there is something else holding it up rather than just the arena.

ster II

PostPosted: 11/02/23 6:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty went through relocation hell for 2 seasons while msg was being renovated. A lesser franchise wouldn't have come through it. A New franchise doesn't need to start out playing in lesser arenas.

Wonder what happened with Toronto? That pre-season game with the Lynx vs. Sky seemed like a great success!.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/02/23 7:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ster II wrote:
The Liberty went through relocation hell for 2 seasons while msg was being renovated. A lesser franchise wouldn't have come through it. A New franchise doesn't need to start out playing in lesser arenas.

Wonder what happened with Toronto? That pre-season game with the Lynx vs. Sky seemed like a great success!.

The big sports ownership group in Toronto balked at the expansion fee and at using the arena where the Raptors play.

PostPosted: 11/02/23 8:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think we're getting a 14th team for 2025.

I appreciate Cathy sticking to her guns and upholding the league standards.

PostPosted: 11/02/23 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I don't think we're getting a 14th team for 2025.

I appreciate Cathy sticking to her guns and upholding the league standards.

It does make something of a mockery of their efforts to make out that they have viable options in countless cities around North America, though. If one place falls through and there's no viable second option other than waiting until 2027, then all those shortlists and long lists and discussions start to look like an awful lot of hot air.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: