0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 37

StevenHW

PostPosted: 10/02/23 10:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://beyondthew.com/wnba-in-bay-area-looks-more-than-ever-like-a-reality/

PostPosted: 10/02/23 1:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
The fact everyone keeps citing their capital being tied up in Silicon Valley Bank makes me think they were on thin ice financially to begin with. It would be nice if Lacob brought them in as partners somehow.

Silicon Valley Bank was primarily, if not exclusively, used by startups and their employees. So it does signal they are likely not an established business. And it takes deep pockets to field a WNBA team as the previous LA owners found out. (They will get back any money they had in Silicon Valley Bank via a government bailout of all depositors).

Last edited by tfan on 10/03/23 5:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
tfan

PostPosted: 10/02/23 2:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

StevenHW wrote:
https://beyondthew.com/wnba-in-bay-area-looks-more-than-ever-like-a-reality/

Quote:
One thing that is not much of a question is how the W would make things work in such an expensive market like the Bay Area. If the WNBA can make it would in other expensive markets such as New York (Liberty), Los Angeles (Sparks), Chicago (Sky), Washington (Mystics), Connecticut (Sun), Seattle (Storm), Atlanta (Dream), Phoenix (Mercury), Minnesota (Lynx) and Las Vegas (Aces) it will make the Bay Area work.

I think an expensive market is where you want to be. That signifies people with money. Money that can be spent on going to sporting events. Although it does raise your rent if you don't own the arena (the Warriors do) and raises the rent for the team-provided housing (if they still do that). But I don't know that the WNBA is "making it" in all those cities in that the team is making money.

I don't think that the Warriors, who own the newer Chase Center in San Francisco will pay to play any home games at the much older Oakland arena they left. Unless the league pushed them to do it as a favor to the group in Oakland that was trying for a team and owns half of the Oakland arena.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/04/23 10:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA set to announce expansion team in San Francisco Bay Area

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/wnba/2023/10/04/wnba-expansion-san-francisco-bay-area-2025/71052199007/

Quote:
The WNBA on Thursday plans to announce a new expansion team in the San Francisco Bay Area, a person with direct knowledge of the addition told USA TODAY Sports.

PostPosted: 10/04/23 11:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Wow.

scullyfu

PostPosted: 10/04/23 11:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I lived n Seattle I.used to wish hard for a team in the Bay Area. How great it would’ve been for a weekend of bb in SF & then to LA, maybe a quick jaunt to PX for a long weekend. Sigh.

Congrats to SF. Now the best I can wishfor is a team in Toronto.

PostPosted: 10/04/23 11:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was hoping for two teams to be announced but this is better than nothing.

I really hope they find a way to incorporate Beard into the organization. Maybe give her the Renee Montgomery gig.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/04/23 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

I really hope they find a way to incorporate Beard into the organization. Maybe give her the Renee Montgomery gig.

I'm still holding out hope for Toronto. Maybe they will expand in consecutive years ? Curious to see when SF starts play in the league ? Next Season or in 2025 as Prez has said she's looking too expand within the next 2 years. Interesting Lacob finally made the move after some competition after so many years.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/warriors-expected-announce-san-francisco-wnba-18406252.php

PostPosted: 10/04/23 2:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

I'm still holding out hope for Toronto. Maybe they will expand in consecutive years ? Curious to see when SF starts play in the league ? Next Season or in 2025 as Prez has said she's looking too expand within the next 2 years. Interesting Lacob finally made the move after some competition after so many years.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/warriors/article/warriors-expected-announce-san-francisco-wnba-18406252.php

Most of the reports are saying the new SF team will start play in 2025.

zune69

PostPosted: 10/04/23 6:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Cathy was just stalling. but she delivered....Great job Cathy.

GEF34

PostPosted: 10/05/23 1:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is apparently going to be second team announced tomorrow, I'm surprised no leaks of that second team have been made public if true.

https://twitter.com/ArielleOrsuto/status/1709783053453947107

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 10/05/23 2:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
There is apparently going to be second team announced tomorrow, I'm surprised no leaks of that second team have been made public if true.

https://twitter.com/ArielleOrsuto/status/1709783053453947107

I expect it to be somewhere east. Not sure which city/group is most ready to start a team (Toronto? Philly? other?). I also expect we'll be more eastern/western division oriented with teams playing more games within conference to cut travel costs a little since the two conferences are more equally competitive than a few years ago.

~rAf
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/05/23 9:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hope it’s Philly because I live here but I gotta be honest, it would be hard for me to be a Philly fan. I’d probably just go to games to see the visiting teams lol!

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 10/05/23 10:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The rumblings on Twitter is Toronto will be the other team announced.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/05/23 10:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howard Megdal is reporting Portland as the other expansion city

https://www.thenexthoops.com/features/sources-portland-expected-to-be-second-wnba-expansion-team/

PostPosted: 10/05/23 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hmm. I find the wording interesting. Probably means nothing but he says “next round” of expansion and that it has reached the board of governors. I would assume they aren’t ready to announce today. I also wonder if that means SF and Toronto could still be announced today and Portland is on deck for “next round” as in team 15? It likely means just SF today and Portland finalized in the coming months.

Either way, I am loving the excitement and speculation.

adamj95

PostPosted: 10/05/23 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Conferences can be easily re-aligned in a Portland/Bay Area set of additions, with multiple front office members telling The Next the expectation would be that the league would move the Minnesota Lynx to the Eastern Conference.

Interesting.

PostPosted: 10/05/23 10:58 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38572580/wnba-announces-bay-area-expansion-team-begin-play-2025

Official announcement for Golden State. There is a presser on the WNBA app and Twitter at 1pm EST for the formal announcement.

I don’t think we can expect an official announcement for Portland until the Board of Governors approves it.

Last edited by johnjohnW on 10/05/23 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Spark4Life

PostPosted: 10/05/23 11:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/38572580/wnba-announces-bay-area-expansion-team-begin-play-2025

Official announcement for Golden State. I believe there is a presser today too.

I don’t think we can expect an official announcement for Portland until the Board of Governors approves it.

Congrats to all the Bay area fans! 👏
Can't wait to make the trip to watch your team lose to my Sparks.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/05/23 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's still time to get Portland approved and announced for the 2025 season.

PostPosted: 10/05/23 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Portland gets announced before the end of the year.

I’m gonna be bold and predict we have 2
More by 2027.

BamaEd

PostPosted: 10/05/23 11:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:
Quote:
Conferences can be easily re-aligned in a Portland/Bay Area set of additions, with multiple front office members telling The Next the expectation would be that the league would move the Minnesota Lynx to the Eastern Conference.

Interesting.

Conferences only mean anything with POW/POM anyway. Even the all-star game is conference-less. If they did move them, that would leave Dallas as the only Central Time zone team in the Western Conference. All others would be in Pacific Time (well, AZ would be on the same time as Pacific during the WNBA season since they don't observe DST).

jmvcity

PostPosted: 10/05/23 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="BamaEd"][quote="adamj95"]
Quote:

Conferences only mean anything with POW/POM anyway. Even the all-star game is conference-less. If they did move them, that would leave Dallas as the only Central Time zone team in the Western Conference. All others would be in Pacific Time (well, AZ would be on the same time as Pacific during the WNBA season since they don't observe DST).

Conference play also counts for Commissioner’s Cup.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 10/05/23 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So are we thinking Portland tomorrow and Toronto coming at a later date ? I wish we could get all 3 right now , but we have waited 15 years for this what's another 1 or 2 right ? Razz

PostPosted: 10/05/23 1:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If the Raptors owners don't want to do it then Toronto need to find another billionaire or it isn't going to happen. It might be difficult anyway, because I don't know if there's anywhere else in the area the WNBA would want to play other than the Raptors' arena, so without MLSE involvement it might be dead in the water.

On a separate note, I wrote a mock expansion article, if anyone's interested: https://herhoopstats.substack.com/p/wnba-dissected-2023-mock-expansion-draft-protect

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: