RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

duke @ maryland
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/09/06 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
dtsnms wrote:
At this point, having seen what I have, I would rate:

1. Duke
2. LSU
3. Tennessee

I've seen a few LV games now (UConn, ND, etc) and they seem to be the most beatable of those three right now. Can't say it'll be that way at end of year, but right now.

No North Carolina?

Not top 3; UConn was just outright hideous that game and contributed to that blowout as musch as UNC.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/09/06 10:38 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I agree with you ripleyDC. Having seen UT 3 times and Duke yesterday. Duke should win that game handily. UT doesn't have the defense that Duke has and I just can't see Nikki and Tyesha doing anything against Bales and Williams. I think Parker is going to have a tough time guarding Black.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/09/06 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Glad to see people finally giving Duke props. Very Happy This wasn't the case a month ago. I'm anxious to see how many first place votes we get this week.

Mathies to LA 2013
dtsnms

PostPosted: 01/09/06 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
Glad to see people finally giving Duke props. Very Happy This wasn't the case a month ago. I'm anxious to see how many first place votes we get this week.

NOT ME! I've been saying #1 all year! Very Happy

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/09/06 2:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dtsnms wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:

NOT ME! I've been saying #1 all year! Very Happy

They were my preseason No. 1.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/09/06 2:49 pm    ::: Duke #1? Perhaps... Reply Reply with quote

Get back to me on this after Jan.29. Assuming Duke wins both those games, I'll be winning to entertain the topic of Duke being #1. But we'll still be Duke-ing it out with LSU. Duke is strong, but not flaw-less. And our post defenders have to reach a new level of comfort with this "block or not block" decision on defense.

~rAf

~rAf
hoos#1

PostPosted: 01/10/06 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

good thing Toliver can shoot because she sure can't play defense!!!

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/10/06 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That's quite the remark hoos#1 considering Toliver is still nursing some leg injuries that caused her to miss most of december. She saw her first extended action vs. B.C. and then had to play vs. Duke 3 days later. We will see what happens with a week off for FSU and then 4 days before the Cavs.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
hoos#1

PostPosted: 01/10/06 2:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wish the best for Tolliver.....and I know her leg is not 100%.....but I watched her as a high school player and am interested to see how she can hang in the ACC.......

Offensively....one of the best shooters i've seen.......but defensely, I think she is going to struggle!!!! It showed against Duke.......and I hope it was the bum leg holding her back......

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/10/06 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Toliver didn't run the offense much when she was in the game versus Duke. I'm guessing it had more to do with her rust (receiving limited minutes due to injury) and the state of the game (they were trailing whenever she was inserted into the game) rather than ability. She hit some nice shots, though! I'm talking 'bout deep three-pointers that have you going "wow!" She's a player, no doubt. However...

...Toliver needs to (1) regain her health soon, (2) play better defense, and (3) run the offense if Maryland is to be successful going up against the better point guards in the league. Harding already gave her fits. Up next are the likes of Latta, Mason, and Zoll (though not in that order). All four of the aforementioned point guards excel on both sides of the ball.

Mathies to LA 2013
hoos#1

PostPosted: 01/10/06 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sorry........Toliver cannot hang with Zoll from UVA.......yes, Toliver is a much better shooter.......BUT Zoll is a pure point guard.....she will crossover, juke, and leave Toliver in the dust..........

And Toliver isn't even in the same league as Curry or Lata ........both can shoot better, drive stronger, and create more things for their team than Toliver can.........come on now.......

anyone who knows anything about the point guards in the ACC...i mean really knows their stuff.........knows that comparing Toliver to Curry and Lata are like comparing the speed of a bicycle to the speed of a jet plane.........no comparison Shocked

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/10/06 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been down that road with Maryland fans before. I don't think Toliver's ready to become a pure point guard this season. She has the makings of a solid point guard in this league but isn't there yet. She favors her shot too much and can forget to get others involved in the offense. Not every point guard can be like Ivory Latta. Latta hits her shots and is an excellent passer. She'd have more assists if Larkins would've converted some of the passes she flubbed.

Zoll was the only pure point guard to be selected to the U-19 team last summer. One of the guards she beat out for that last spot was Kristi Toliver. Why? Zoll is pass-first and has been for her entire playing career. She's second in the league in assists per game right now. Can she score? Yes, as the Minnesota games proved that. However, she knows when to shoot and when not to pull the trigger. Toliver's not there yet. With all the scorers on Maryland's team, she should be thinking *pass* at least 75% of the time. I'll cut her some slack for the Duke game because she did keep her team in the game almost singlehandedly with that deadly three-ball.

Currie is a three, so I wouldn't think of comparing her to Toliver. That's oranges and apples right there.

Latta does have a better shot and is a better penetrator. It's not fair to compare the junior to the freshman, but I'll compare Latta as a freshman to Toliver and will say that Toliver's penetration skills will have to improve before she can be compared to Latta (or Harding for that matter).

Enough of comparing the frosh to upperclassmen! We know she must develop, so let's let her heal and develop. It's not her fault that the ACC lays claim to some of the nation's top point guards. I'd say that the ACC has the best 2007 (Harding and Latta), 2008 (Zoll), and 2009 (Toliver) point guards. We're stacked.

Mathies to LA 2013
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: