RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#3 Louisiana St vs #2 Iowa - 4/02/23
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will win this game?
Louisiana St
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
Iowa
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 14

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/03/23 2:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
Iowa had previously received a delay of game warning for batting the ball away after a made basket. It caused a delay.

Clark then tossed the ball behind her back, causing another delay. In that instance, refs went to the rulebook and called a technical foul on the Iowa guard.

"Iowa received a delay of game warning in the third period at the 7:28 mark for batting the ball away after a made basket, causing a delay," Jones explained. "The second offense was when No. 22 from Iowa picked up the ball and failed to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after the whistle was blown. Rule reference -- Rule 10, Section 12, Article 3K. The definition of the delay can be found in Rule 4, Section 9, Article 1F, by failing to and it reads, attempting to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a goal, or by failing to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after the whistle is blown."

This for all the whinners that complained about THE TECHNICAL that was so unfair on Sweet Cait. I said at the time it was a STUPID move. But you got to admit, it was a beautiful behind the back pass to no one!! So, the tech was earned.

Given that this happened on a dead ball and there was no advantage gained, the only thing would be that she failed to immediately pass the ball to the nearest ref. That's pretty much equivalent to being in the lane 3.1 seconds.

Delay of game is always on a dead ball.

Clark's tech was well deserved. She threw the ball out of bounds, away from any official, because she didn't like the call and she wanted to make the ref go fetch it like a dog. That's a tech in any game, anywhere, at any level.

You nailed it!! It's amazing how people are willing to give wrong-doing a pass if it's somebody they like as if rules don't apply to them. Ole girl had a hissy fit and the refs t'd her up.

I have never seen a tech called for what she did. NEVER! And since FTs were happening it had nothing to do with delay of game. Delay of game normally occurs when the other team needs the ball in order to inbound. She flipped it toward the sideline without looking - a ref could easily have been in the vicinity of the ball. It wasn't like she turned and heaved it into the crowd or did any of the things normally associated with a technical foul. This was just one of the many absurd calls made but hugely affected the game. Mulkey grabbing a ref to complain about a call was about 10x more apt to be called a technical than what Clark did. The refs should hide their faces and be sent to ref HS ball. What they did was a disgrace to the women's game.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/23 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
She flipped it toward the sideline without looking - a ref could easily have been in the vicinity of the ball

She looked to make sure there wasn't one.

PostPosted: 04/03/23 2:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I will add to this discussion before changing gears. I actually was wondering why it wasn't delay of game instead of a technical. But if they'd received a warning earlier in the game, well that makes sense. Yep, that was textbook delay of game right there. I've seen that warning called a number of times. Truly just bad timing.

As for the other, I think those not on the floor were more upset about the "extra" stuff than the players were. Reese and Clark are both very passionate players, gamers, ballers, and neither are shy. Even my mama said "It looks like Clark got a taste of her own medicine". I do believe racism played more than a small role in the outrage. Most of the outrage is from people who hadn't heard of Clark until last weekend. Let's just take a breath and be calm, ok world?

As for the game, wow, LSU impressed me with their offense. They have really lived & died by defense all season, but they out Iowa-ed Iowa with their offense. During the in game interview with Holly, Bluder said they got back into the game because they got some stops, but then they weren't able to. Was some of that due to foul trouble, probably, but unfortunately that's the game. LSU just could not miss during that first half. Carson hitting was it 5-5 from 3 in that half and off the bench. That is tough to overcome. But Iowa actually had 3 more 3 pointers than LSU, but shot is at a lesser percentage. LSU with a 14-7 edge in ORebounds amd 37-26 on total rebounds, that showed they won it in the paint. Mulkey is a lot, I have watched her coach from years and I know that. But, she is an excellent coach and she had these ladies prepared to play. Angel Reese is an amazing player and should have a stellar remainder of her college career as well as a future pro career. Morris with 21/9 wow, great job. Clark is now more of a household name and had brought prominence to Iowa. I think next year, the women's game will be even more exciting to watch.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/03/23 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
zune69 wrote:
I'm really baffled at how some people are defending Reese's behavior by saying she did the same thing as Clark....Reese was literally following Clark around...She also called Clark/One of the Iowa players a hoe... (I totally missed that.... Shocked)
https://twitter.com/i/status/1642665645455335425
Clark on the other hand did the facial gesture to Hailey Van Lith, who was also talking trash...Clark did the facial gesture for 1 second after making a shot and kept walking to her bench.
https://twitter.com/i/status/1640182237005004801

Thank you. Just because the hand gestures were the same, doesn't mean the same situation occurred. Reese is totally over the top with the crown and the trash talk and even her interviews are just laced with arrogance. Is Clark a saint? No! Absolutely not. Is Reese totally and utterly ridiculous? Yes. Does she make herself look bad? Yes. Has she vilified herself? Yup. I find her impossible to root for and I think this behavior could bite her when she gets to the W. Can you imagine her walking into a veteran locker room and acting like that? LOL

Really!
Yeah, I gotta say: Angel - for whom I rooted all season - has gone from Amazing to Asshole in just one game. Razz

I also found her commentary on some interview absurd: she said (and I paraphrase) "I wanted this for all the girls that look like me." Yaa....cuz there's hardly ANY in basketball these days. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Howee on 04/03/23 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 04/03/23 2:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BamaEd wrote:
I do believe racism played more than a small role in the outrage

Seriously. During the pre-game show ESPN did a segment on "Caitlin Clark: Queen of the Clap Back" in which she was praised for her many instances of doing the same kind of thing.

PostPosted: 04/03/23 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
BamaEd wrote:
I do believe racism played more than a small role in the outrage

Seriously. During the pre-game show ESPN did a segment on "Caitlin Clark: Queen of the Clap Back" in which she was praised for her many instances of doing the same kind of thing.

If ya ask me, I think Angel is the one who wanted to make some of it about 'race'. I mean, her stupid line about she was mad that Iowa was "disrespecting her girls from SC cuz they're her SEC girls." Like she's the Avenger....very immature.

I didn't see the ESPN segment on Clark. BUT....I've seen every available Iowa game that I could. Caitlin certainly has some swag, but I've never seen her do anything as immature as what Angel demonstrated, by following another player to make her commentary seen. Caitlin reminds me more of a Baby Taurasi. And I don't like that about her either, but that's a different level of swag than Angel demonstrated.

PostPosted: 04/03/23 3:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
Iowa had previously received a delay of game warning for batting the ball away after a made basket. It caused a delay.

Clark then tossed the ball behind her back, causing another delay. In that instance, refs went to the rulebook and called a technical foul on the Iowa guard.

"Iowa received a delay of game warning in the third period at the 7:28 mark for batting the ball away after a made basket, causing a delay," Jones explained. "The second offense was when No. 22 from Iowa picked up the ball and failed to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after the whistle was blown. Rule reference -- Rule 10, Section 12, Article 3K. The definition of the delay can be found in Rule 4, Section 9, Article 1F, by failing to and it reads, attempting to gain an advantage by interfering with the ball after a goal, or by failing to immediately pass the ball to the nearest official after the whistle is blown."

This for all the whinners that complained about THE TECHNICAL that was so unfair on Sweet Cait. I said at the time it was a STUPID move. But you got to admit, it was a beautiful behind the back pass to no one!! So, the tech was earned.

Given that this happened on a dead ball and there was no advantage gained, the only thing would be that she failed to immediately pass the ball to the nearest ref. That's pretty much equivalent to being in the lane 3.1 seconds.

Clark's tech was well deserved. She threw the ball out of bounds, away from any official, because she didn't like the call and she wanted to make the ref go fetch it like a dog. That's a tech in any game, anywhere, at any level.

You nailed it!! It's amazing how people are willing to give wrong-doing a pass if it's somebody they like as if rules don't apply to them. Ole girl had a hissy fit and the refs t'd her up.

I have never seen a tech called for what she did. NEVER! And since FTs were happening it had nothing to do with delay of game. Delay of game normally occurs when the other team needs the ball in order to inbound. She flipped it toward the sideline without looking - a ref could easily have been in the vicinity of the ball. It wasn't like she turned and heaved it into the crowd or did any of the things normally associated with a technical foul. This was just one of the many absurd calls made but hugely affected the game. Mulkey grabbing a ref to complain about a call was about 10x more apt to be called a technical than what Clark did. The refs should hide their faces and be sent to ref HS ball. What they did was a disgrace to the women's game.

GIVE IT UP!!! Rules are rules and she broke the rule and you wanted the refs to ignore it. BUT THEY DIDN"T. PLUS, game over. She and her team lost!!! Whine and cheese a great combo!

Last edited by greg5222 on 04/03/23 3:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
NoDakSt

PostPosted: 04/03/23 3:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:
zune69 wrote:
I'm really baffled at how some people are defending Reese's behavior by saying she did the same thing as Clark....Reese was literally following Clark around...She also called Clark/One of the Iowa players a hoe... (I totally missed that.... Shocked)
Clark on the other hand did the facial gesture to Hailey Van Lith, who was also talking trash...Clark did the facial gesture for 1 second after making a shot and kept walking to her bench.

Thank you. Just because the hand gestures were the same, doesn't mean the same situation occurred. Reese is totally over the top with the crown and the trash talk and even her interviews are just laced with arrogance. Is Clark a saint? No! Absolutely not. Is Reese totally and utterly ridiculous? Yes. Does she make herself look bad? Yes. Has she vilified herself? Yup. I find her impossible to root for and I think this behavior could bite her when she gets to the W. Can you imagine her walking into a veteran locker room and acting like that? LOL

Really!
Yeah, I gotta say: Angel - for whom I rooted all season - has gone from Amazing to Asshole in just one game. Razz

I also found her commentary on some interview absurd: she said (and I paraphrase) "I wanted this for all the girls that look like me." Yaa....cuz there's hardly ANY in basketball these days. Rolling Eyes

In the age of NIL, it’s all about clickbait. What can I do to get more hits to my Twitter, my IG, my Snapchat, Cuz, now all the hits on social media translate to money.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/03/23 3:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
greg5222 wrote:

GIVE IT UP!!!

because you're the expert? Or just an LSU homer? I had no team in this contest. Mine went home long ago. But I've watched 100s of games and reffed for 10 years as well. But for some reason I should defer to you because your team won so you think it's fine that the refs were terrible?

greg5222

PostPosted: 04/03/23 3:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
myrtle wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
greg5222 wrote:

GIVE IT UP!!!

because you're the expert? Or just an LSU homer? I had no team in this contest. Mine went home long ago. But I've watched 100s of games and reffed for 10 years as well. But for some reason I should defer to you because your team won so you think it's fine that the refs were terrible?

One more time, the refs followed the rule of delay of game. I know the rule but maybe you don't. The rule they applied was posted. I get you don't like or accept it but her own coach understood it. They explained themselves. Terp fan not LSU. Missy Clark allowed frustration to affect her judgement.
Curious. Did you ref in the NCAA because that's the rule they followed!! Complain to them!!!

PostPosted: 04/03/23 3:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
In the age of NIL, it’s all about clickbait. What can I do to get more hits to my Twitter, my IG, my Snapchat, Cuz, now all the hits on social media translate to money.

Yeah, I'm old, so I forget about those factors. Razz

myrtle wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
GIVE IT UP!!!

Calling that foul was indicative of the 'terrible-ness', not cuz it's technically correct or INcorrect, but simply cuz THAT simple, forgettable thing that hurt no one WAS called, when brutal fouls were NOT called.

PostPosted: 04/03/23 3:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

myrtle wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
GIVE IT UP!!!

Calling that foul was indicative of the 'terrible-ness', not cuz it's technically correct or INcorrect, but simply cuz THAT simple, forgettable thing that hurt no one WAS called, when brutal fouls were NOT called.

The game was won because Iowa had NO ANSWER for Carson. Take away her points....... probably a different outcome. BTW, what was the margin of victory?

PostPosted: 04/03/23 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

greg5222 wrote:
Howee wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

myrtle wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
GIVE IT UP!!!

The game was won because Iowa had NO ANSWER for Carson. Take away her points....... probably a different outcome.

No argument there....I didn't see anyone make that claim. But yeah, SOMEbody was gonna win the game, despite the officials. They were bad both ways - and even if they missed blatant fouls, they saw some phantom fouls that put too many players on the bench for too much time. It is what it is for now: DONE. Cool

PostPosted: 04/03/23 4:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There is huge latitude in what refs call. If they called everything strictly by the book, just about every player in DI ball would foul out in the first half. As I already said, it did in no way actually delay the game anymore than if she had simply dropped the ball down on the court. That would have taken as much or more time to retrieve it especially if it had rolled sideways instead of toward the endline. How many times have we actually seen a player "pass the ball to the nearest official" in that situation? Usually it's dropped or bounced toward the endline. I'm not a big Clark fan, although I certainly respect her game, but she [or any other player] simply did not deserve that call in that game....or any game. And no, I cannot claim to be an NCAA ref. I reffed HS as a hobby, which is where these refs should IMO be relegated. Not only for that call, but for many of their other calls as well. If the players were 'tight' on that stage, the refs were even tighter. The game should be about the players, not about the refs and they totally upstaged the game. The best refs are hardly noticed during a game. We should be celebrating what Carson did and giving her kudos for it in the biggest game of her career rather than nattering about the refs...but the reffing is what is being talked about all over social media. That and Angel's antics at the end. I guess it's good for our game just because it's getting so much attention. I would just prefer the focus be on what the athletes did on the court.

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/03/23 4:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ryan and Lobo were as gobsmacked as everyone else at that call. Whereas they normally don't comment on the calls, or they try to explain them, in this game they were continually saying that they didn't understand how that could be the call that was being made.

njjosh

PostPosted: 04/03/23 4:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
But yeah, SOMEbody was gonna win the game, despite the officials. They were bad both ways - and even if they missed blatant fouls, they saw some phantom fouls that put too many players on the bench for too much time. It is what it is for now: DONE. Cool

Yep. Which is especially unfortunate for Iowa, because this was its chance to win the natty. I'd be very surprised if it gets back to the Final Four next year, or even the Elite 8.

While it has a good deal of talent returning around Clark, it's unlikely they'll have the same chemistry and fortune they had this season, and opposing coaches will defend Clark differently after this run. And I don't think it can get significantly better defensively or on the interior.

Meanwhile, UConn, LSU, and Utah, plus the other top Big Ten teams, should be as good or better. UConn in particular will be scary good if it can stay healthy (big if, I know).

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 04/03/23 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
Is that why she has such a, erm, unusual first name?

There's a cool little story behind her first name.
(I haven't watched the game yet, so I don't know if they mentioned it. If they didn't I'd be somewhat surprised given that Rebecca & Ryan usually take every opportunity to discuss things other than the action on the court)

They didn't. I'd be curious to know. it's a weird one to be sure. i haven't heard it mentioned anywhere, and I watch a LOT of SEC too.

LSU's Last-Tear Poa explains her name and says, 'We're coming out hungry.'

PostPosted: 04/03/23 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
Howee wrote:
NoDakSt wrote:

myrtle wrote:
greg5222 wrote:
GIVE IT UP!!!

The game was won because Iowa had NO ANSWER for Carson. Take away her points....... probably a different outcome.

No argument there....I didn't see anyone make that claim. But yeah, SOMEbody was gonna win the game, despite the officials. They were bad both ways - and even if they missed blatant fouls, they saw some phantom fouls that put too many players on the bench for too much time. It is what it is for now: DONE. Cool

Very good observation. Next year is going to even more competitive. Can't wait!!!

PostPosted: 04/03/23 7:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa acquires one or two transfers. An opportunity to play with the best player in basketball and win a championship will be very enticing.

Howee

PostPosted: 04/03/23 8:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Iowa acquires one or two transfers. An opportunity to play with the best player in basketball and win a championship will be very enticing.

Ahhhhh....didn't think of the transfer portal for Iowa, but yeah - look what it did for Kim! Cool

PostPosted: 04/03/23 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
greg5222 wrote:

This for all the whinners that complained about THE TECHICAL that was so unfair on Sweet Cait. I said at the time it was a STUPID move. But you got to admit, it was a beautiful behind the back pass to no one!! So, the tech was earned.

Bad word choice. I should have said stopped clock.

Technically, it was correctly called. However, given how many other times players (from both teams) failed to immediately get the ball to the nearest ref, it was a cheap call.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
ucbart

PostPosted: 04/03/23 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

I think they should go after Donarski and someone with some athleticism in the front court.

blaase22

PostPosted: 04/04/23 2:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:

Eh , this was their best chance and they blew it.

Last edited by blaase22 on 04/04/23 7:54 am; edited 2 times in total
zune69

PostPosted: 04/04/23 7:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Ahhhhh....didn't think of the transfer portal for Iowa, but yeah - look what it did for Kim! Cool

I just hope Coach Bluder is open to bringing in more players outside of the Midwest region. Iowa's entire roster is comprised of players from that area. The one exception is A. O'Grady who is from Aurora Colorado which is located in close proximity to many of the midwestern states........Of course, players from other regions would need to have an interest in playing for/in Iowa.

ucbart wrote:
I think they should go after Donarski and someone with some athleticism in the front court.

Agreed... Iowa could also use a frontcourt player with some size/height and an athletic guard who can defend.

blaase22 wrote:

Eh , this was there best chance and they blew it.

The transfer portal is a game changer. Iowa could add 2-3 players and be back in the national title hunt........I believe many players will want to play for Iowa for these reasons:

* Great player who is a willing passer- Any incoming transfers will not have to carry the load
* Very good coach with a great staff
* Great fanbase that fills the arena and travels well.
* Nationally televised games
* Potential final 4 team

blaase22

PostPosted: 04/04/23 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NoDakSt wrote:
Howee wrote:
ucbart wrote:
zune69 wrote:

Really!

Reese loves attention doesn’t she?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: