RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

What FF team do YOU want to win the NC?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What FF team do YOU want to win the NC?
Iowa
46%
 46%  [ 26 ]
LSU
7%
 7%  [ 4 ]
S. Carolina
19%
 19%  [ 11 ]
Virginia Tech
26%
 26%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 56

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/29/23 1:59 pm    ::: What FF team do YOU want to win the NC? Reply Reply with quote

Name the team YOU would most prefer to win the national championship.
pilight

PostPosted: 03/29/23 2:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They've all got good stories. South Carolina has the dynasty/undefeated season/greatest team ever thing. Iowa has the transcendent star thing. LSU has the lowest seed ever to win/first coach to win with multiple schools thing. Virginia Tech has the first time in the F4/everybody's overlooking us thing. There are no bad choices here.

PostPosted: 03/29/23 2:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There are no bad choices here.

Strongly disagree. Laughing

PostPosted: 03/29/23 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My honest first reaction is anyone but South Carolina, even though I participate in hyping them because I think they deserve the hype. However, I didn't want to create four "anyone but . . ." choices in addition to the four affirmative choices.

I'd prefer to see either of the two coaches who have never won it do so, which narrows it to Iowa and VaTech.

Because Clark has been so spectacular and entertaining, and because her gritty three-year starting five will break up after this season, I tend to prefer Iowa as the winner.
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/29/23 2:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
pilight wrote:

& i agree with strongly disagreeing!

my order of preference:

1. Iowa
2. Virginia Tech
3. South Carolina
4. LSU

undersized_post

PostPosted: 03/29/23 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
pilight wrote:

my order of preference:

1. Iowa
2. Virginia Tech
3. South Carolina
4. LSU

Anyone who knows me as a poster here will know that Iowa is my team, so they're my 1st choice.

LSU is clearly 4th and nothing more should need to be said about why. Laughing

As far as 2 and 3, usually I root for either the underdog and/or a first time champion, who in this case would be Virginia Tech. HOWEVER. If someone is going to pull off an upset of the massive favorite South Carolina, the petty in me wants that team to be Iowa and no one else.

For that reason South Carolina will be me 2nd choice and Viriginia Tech 3rd. But it's really more like 2a and 2b.

PostPosted: 03/29/23 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LOVE Dawn Staley and would not mind SC repeating, but Iowa is just playing such great team basketball, I have to pull for Iowa.

It was not asked, but I believe it would be close to 100% here who want V.Tech to beat LSU to meet either SC or Iowa. VT is also playing some great team ball, while also having a highly skilled and tall ACC POY on the squad. She missed more shots than usual in the EE game and I expect her to return to her average vs LSU.

~rAf
Hoops9092

PostPosted: 03/29/23 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'd love to see South Carolina lose. Just like I loved to see UConn and Baylor lose back when they were the favorites to win it all.

I don't think Virginia Tech is there yet.

I like LSU because I naturally want to root for someone who left behind a great program to start over. I respect that and recognize the risk. But I also think it would be too soon. Let the #1 recruit they have coming in lead them to their "glory" days.

So that leaves me with Iowa. A feel good story of the kid who stayed home with a bunch of complementary pieces who fit their role. Reminds me of Diana and her crew (but rather 4 Maria Conlon's, no other McDonald's All-American's, etc). So I vote for Iowa.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/29/23 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
undersized_post wrote:
pilight wrote:

Thirded!!

1) Virginia Tech
2) Iowa

65) South Carolina

68] LSU

Laughing

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/29/23 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Second choice:

Virginia Tech

First choice:

CAL

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/29/23 5:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
65) South Carolina

68] LSU

ahh hell, i’ll be the one to ask: who are the two in between these guys?

pilight

PostPosted: 03/29/23 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There are reasons to root against all four teams as well. LSU needs no explanation. With Virginia Tech it's a little unseemly to side with the only male coach in the F4. With South Carolina you might not want them in the conversation of best ever or maybe you don't like dynasties. With Iowa the hype around Clark can be oppressive and crowds out everyone else.

PostPosted: 03/29/23 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
65) South Carolina

68] LSU

ahh hell, i’ll be the one to ask: who are the two in between these guys?

It was more so that LSU is very dead last and South Carolina is nearly-but-not-as-bad a choice, but since you asked, how about Ohio State at 67 for beating my Huskies and Notre Dame at 66 just to rankle Art? Laughing

pilight wrote:
With Virginia Tech it's a little unseemly to side with the only male coach in the F4.

Serious question: how many Black male coaches have won a women's championship? (If it's handy, how many Black male coaches have won a men's championship?)

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/29/23 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm in the "anybody but Kim and Dawn" camp on this.

Don't like either of them.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 03/29/23 6:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
1) Virginia Tech
2) Iowa

65) South Carolina

68] LSU

Laughing

Very similar for me.

1) Virginia Tech
2) Iowa

9) South Carolina

70) LSU

PostPosted: 03/29/23 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
Serious question: how many Black male coaches have won a women's championship? (If it's handy, how many Black male coaches have won a men's championship?)

Women: none

Men: Four (John Thompson, Nolan Richardson, Tubby Smith, Kevin Ollie)

PostPosted: 03/29/23 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
There are reasons to root against all four teams as well. LSU needs no explanation. With Virginia Tech it's a little unseemly to side with the only male coach in the F4. With South Carolina you might not want them in the conversation of best ever or maybe you don't like dynasties. With Iowa the hype around Clark can be oppressive and crowds out everyone else.

I see your point about Va Tech but given that Black male coaches (unlike white male coaches) rarely, if ever, get the opportunity to be D1 head women's basketball coaches that could be a reason to root for them.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/29/23 7:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="pilight"]
singinerd54 wrote:

Other than Brooks, on the D1 level (outside of HBCU's) I can't think of a Black male who has ever been a head coach let alone won a championship.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/29/23 8:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

we’re probably all thinking it, but I’ll just go ahead & say it

“i don’t want my young [probably] White daughter being coached by a Black man,” is something parents likely say to themselves whether they’re conscious of it or not

it’s also surely a concept high school & college ADs have in mind – again, regardless of whether they’re conscious of it or not – when considering Black men for HC jobs in girls' & women’s sports to begin with

many roads [in this country in particular] lead back to that dynamic, of course

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/29/23 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="PG4ever"]
pilight wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:

Other than Brooks, on the D1 level (outside of HBCU's) I can't think of a Black male who has ever been a head coach let alone won a championship.

Quentin Hillsman, formerly of Syracuse. He even once coached in the Championship game.

BTW, I read that Syracuse and ND are the only Div 1 schools (outside of HBCU's) with black head coaches in Football, Men's Basketball, and Women's Basketball. Both just hired black head coaches for their Men's Basketball programs.

Last edited by CBiebel on 03/29/23 8:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/29/23 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

anyway, one of y’all has LSU at 68, one of y’all has LSU at 70, yet no one has LSU at sixty-ni— y’know what, *sigh* nvm

not
nice

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/29/23 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. VT. Y’all know why.

2. Iowa.

3. SC.

365. LSU. Because Mulkey.

PostPosted: 03/29/23 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
pilight wrote:

I see your point about Va Tech but given that Black male coaches (unlike white male coaches) rarely, if ever, get the opportunity to be D1 head women's basketball coaches that could be a reason to root for them.

They get more chances at WCBB than any women do at MCBB

PostPosted: 03/29/23 9:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
pilight wrote:

They get more chances at WCBB than any women do at MCBB

Red herring.

PostPosted: 03/29/23 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
pilight wrote:

Seconded. It's great to have two Black coaches in the Final Four, and knowing that Brooks would be the first Black male coach to win makes me want Virginia Tech even more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: