RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2023-24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/04/24 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As of 2/3/24, freshman Ashlynn Shade is first in D1 in two-point field goal percentage at .713, according to https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/women/2024-leaders.html
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/05/24 6:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
As of 2/3/24, freshman Ashlynn Shade is first in D1 in two-point field goal percentage at .713, according to https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/seasons/women/2024-leaders.html

That's amazing because (1) she's a freshman and (2) she's a guard. She has since fallen a small bit to 69.2% for 2FG%, which is still good for 4th in the NCAA!

The 3 players ahead of her are:

Jo Langbehn, a junior C from St. Thomas-Minnesota.
Maddie Albrecht, a senior G from Lehigh.
Meghan Andersen, a freshman F from Fairfield.

So she's the only one of the top 4 that plays a Power 5 Schedule as well. (I know that UConn is in the Big East, but given the OOC schedule the Huskies play, it is certainly a Power 5 schedule (and an exceedingly difficult one).

And no, I'm NOT a UConn fan.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/06/24 4:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:

so what you're telling me is she isn't even the best shooter in the state of Connecticut Razz

PostPosted: 02/06/24 6:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

so what you're telling me is she isn't even the best shooter in the state of Connecticut Razz

That's correct. She's been a big disappointment. Crying or Very sad

Coyotes

PostPosted: 02/07/24 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

She's not even the best freshman shooter in the state of Connecticut! A travesty!

Shade has been wonderful for the Huskies - and I reckon the Huskies will go as far as Shade and Arnold take them this year.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/07/24 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I may have jinxed Shade. She's gone 1-8 from 2pt range in the two games since I reported that she was 1st in D1.
okstateguy

PostPosted: 02/08/24 1:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39480925/geno-auriemma-gets-1200th-win-uconn-routs-seton-hall

From the sound of this article, and Bueckers and Edwards wanting to return for another year, it almost sounds as if most likely next season might be the last for Geno.

Quotes from the article:

But he was again cryptic when asked how long he might continue to coach, saying he won't be adding hundreds of more wins, but "more along the line of single digits" and that there isn't any number or "whale," that he's chasing.

"I could probably say, with a great deal of certainty, that I'll never be No. 1 in wins, I don't think that will happen," he said. 'And I'm still going to enjoy my wine and I'm going to sleep good tonight."

PostPosted: 02/08/24 7:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

okstateguy wrote:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39480925/geno-auriemma-gets-1200th-win-uconn-routs-seton-hall

From the sound of this article, and Bueckers and Edwards wanting to return for another year, it almost sounds as if most likely next season might be the last for Geno.

Geno's contract does expire in 2025. Bueckers made an ambiguous statement that seemed to suggest that she's inclined to stay another year at UConn, but I hadn't heard anything about Edwards. Do you recall a source? Maybe we'll find out more from what seniors (Bueckers, Edwards, Muhl, Griffin) participate in Senior Night on February 16.
ThreeBall25

PostPosted: 02/08/24 8:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
okstateguy wrote:

Geno's contract does expire in 2025. Bueckers made an ambiguous statement that seemed to suggest that she's inclined to stay another year at UConn, but I hadn't heard anything about Edwards. Do you recall a source? Maybe we'll find out more from what seniors (Bueckers, Edwards, Muhl, Griffin) participate in Senior Night on February 16.

Ehhhh on Senior Night. Dorka participated but ended up coming back another year.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/17/24 1:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

After the GTwn game both Bueckers and Griffin announced that they are coming back for the '25 season.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/02/24 10:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn finishes a perfect 18-0 in conference play. their smallest margin of victory was a 15-pt win at home vs St. John's.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/21/24 9:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Sarah Strong mystery.

Strong is the #1 ranked recruit for 2024 on ESPNW and the winner of the Naismith POY award. Yet, she is the only player in the ESPNW top 100 who has not committed to a school. (Imari Berry just decommitted from Clemson.)

What is she doing and why? Who knows! It seems like a game. Surely she knows where she wants to go.

Two weeks ago the media were convinced that Stong's top four schools were UConn, UNC, S.Car. and LSU. This week they are convinced that S.Car. and LSU have been dropped and that Duke has been added to UConn and UNC.

I tend toward the longtime rumor that she's headed to UConn. Three reasons.

First, if Strong were going to go to a North Carolina school, I think North Carolina State would be the most natural local candidate. Why? Because her father went there, and because Wes Moore is clearly a more successful and better ACC coach at this point than Banghart or Lawson.

Second, on the reasonable assumption that Strong is looking forward to a long career in pro basketball, it just makes sense for her to sign up with a coach who has produced a plethora of pro players, Geno. I can't think of any current players in the WNBA that Banghart or Lawson have produced, and only one that Moore has produced, Cunane.

Third, though highlight videos can be deceptive, I believe Strong has a realistic chance to start on UConn for four years, just as she likely would at UNC and Duke. At 6-2 and sort of a 3/4 player, she's not UConn's saviour big, but she seems to have a better shooting touch and more post physicality than either Ice Brady or Ayanna Patterson. She probably could slide right into Aaliyah Edwards' starting spot now that UConn's 15th scholarship has been freed up by Edwards' decision to enter the draft.

Keeping two local NC schools in her mix may just be distractive chaff.

Or, this could all be dead wrong.
Shades

PostPosted: 03/22/24 7:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maybe Strong would like to play with Toby Fournier for 4 years. Just maybe.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 03/22/24 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Maybe Strong would like to play with Toby Fournier for 4 years. Just maybe.

_______X as well as her old teammate ....and i dont agree with shades normally ever smh

PostPosted: 03/23/24 3:11 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
The Sarah Strong mystery.

Strong is the #1 ranked recruit for 2024 on ESPNW and the winner of the Naismith POY award. Yet, she is the only player in the ESPNW top 100 who has not committed to a school. (Imari Berry just decommitted from Clemson.)

What is she doing and why? Who knows! It seems like a game. Surely she knows where she wants to go.

Two weeks ago the media were convinced that Stong's top four schools were UConn, UNC, S.Car. and LSU. This week they are convinced that S.Car. and LSU have been dropped and that Duke has been added to UConn and UNC.

First, if Strong were going to go to a North Carolina school, I think North Carolina State would be the most natural local candidate. Why? Because her father went there, and because Wes Moore is clearly a more successful and better ACC coach at this point than Banghart or Lawson.

Second, on the reasonable assumption that Strong is looking forward to a long career in pro basketball, it just makes sense for her to sign up with a coach who has produced a plethora of pro players, Geno. I can't think of any current players in the WNBA that Banghart or Lawson have produced, and only one that Moore has produced, Cunane.

Third, though highlight videos can be deceptive, I believe Strong has a realistic chance to start on UConn for four years, just as she likely would at UNC and Duke. At 6-2 and sort of a 3/4 player, she's not UConn's saviour big, but she seems to have a better shooting touch and more post physicality than either Ice Brady or Ayanna Patterson. She probably could slide right into Aaliyah Edwards' starting spot now that UConn's 15th scholarship has been freed up by Edwards' decision to enter the draft.

Keeping two local NC schools in her mix may just be distractive chaff.

Or, this could all be dead wrong.

didn't she herself release her list of 3:
uconn
duke
unc

linkster

PostPosted: 04/06/24 9:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

On Saturday morning (today), Strong committed to UConn.

The only possible issue I can see is her conditioning but she is a polished player, a 3 level scorer, etc. This will be the 4th May/June in a row where UConn has appeared loaded.
Strong is the ESPN No 1 recruit. Ziebell is No 6 or something and Morgan Cheli is 18th. However Cheli was a finalist for the Naismith POY so her ranking may move up. Easily the best class, despite it's size.

Those eulogies for Geno that I vaguely remember reading back in December may need to be stored for a while.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 04/07/24 6:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I thought Geno struggled in the in-game interviews. Anyone think dementia?

PostPosted: 04/07/24 8:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

. . . .

This is the primary reason that Strong gave for choosing UConn, which is only logical for a player who also stated she is looking for the best possible preparation for a career in the WNBA.

I also now believe she committed to Geno about a year ago. She says UConn was her dream school since she was 10, and Geno has given a few hints about his 2024 recruting class for about a year. ("Two players in the top 5.")

But why did she wait until now to announce her commitment? I suspect that was an agreement with Geno that she would wait until Bueckers, Muhl and Edwards had made their own independent decisions as to whether they would enter the WNBA draft, thereby freeing up at least one scholarship for Strong. With Strong, UConn now has 15 players on next season's roster.
singinerd54

PostPosted: 04/07/24 1:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
With Strong, UConn now has 15 players on next season's roster.

Wow, it's been a hot minute since that's been the case. Best guesses/please add on or discuss the following:

Likely starters: Arnold, Fudd, Bueckers, Griffin, Brady/El Alfy/Strong
- Based on this year, I assume Arnold will be the primary PG to continue to have Paige off the ball more, which I assume pushes Shade to the first wing off the bench. I hope Geno doesn't start Shade in place of a post.

Back Up Wings: Shade, Ducharme, Samuels, Ziebell, Cheli
- Shade presumably will be the class of this bunch and get a fair share of minutes.
- Otherwise, total toss up. Does Ducharme get healthy (and does her play improve from the beginning of this year)? Does Samuels take a jump? I know nothing about the freshman, but that's a fair amount of competition.

- Speaking of total toss up...Does Brady build off her end-of-season momentum? How does El Alfy recover from injury? How does Strong transition to college? I assume DeBerry will be the end of the (post) bench, and that Patterson won't be far ahead of her. I would guess Brady would have the edge toward who starts, but feels like a pretty open competition.

I assume Bettencourt will be the end of the bench with DeBerry, and that Paige or Azzi will be back up PG.

And of course, how many injuries will we have?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 04/07/24 1:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

. . . .

This is the primary reason that Strong gave for choosing UConn, which is only logical for a player who also stated she is looking for the best possible preparation for a career in the WNBA.

I also now believe she committed to Geno about a year ago. She says UConn was her dream school since she was 10, and Geno has given a few hints about his 2024 recruting class for about a year. ("Two players in the top 5.")

But why did she wait until now to announce her commitment? I suspect that was an agreement with Geno that she would wait until Bueckers, Muhl and Edwards had made their own independent decisions as to whether they would enter the WNBA draft, thereby freeing up at least one scholarship for Strong. With Strong, UConn now has 15 players on next season's roster.

Given Sarah's own statement about why she chose UConn, I believe she's always been a strong LEAN to UConn. However, it is significant that, after removing Duke from her list, she made Duke one of her top 3 before announcing her commitment to UConn. She saw something at Duke that caused her to pause her commitment to UConn. While we Duke fans are disappointed in Sarah's final decision, we are pleased to be strongly considered alongside a proven program. We are on our way up with a coach in her prime. And the portal is always an option.

~rAf
linkster

PostPosted: 04/09/24 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn has had 2 players enter the portal, little used players DeBerry and Bettencourt. Rumor says Bettencourt will end up at S Fla. a program that relies heavily on Euro players.

So UConn's 2025 roster is 13 players, and two of them, Fudd and Griffin, will likely not be ready for Game 1. Add in that Ducharme's playing career is questionable and UConn could be down to 10 players, assuming that Patterson and El Alfy are recovered.

But what a freshman class. Two Naismith NPOY finalists. Three 3 level scorers. Add in that 6'6 El Alfy will be a 1st year red shirt so there are 4 1st year players and two of them could start and all four may be in the rotation. And leading the band is the best player in the country.

Probably the biggest change I'm seeing in wcbb is the large no. of freshmen who not only start, but lead.

jmh1982

PostPosted: 04/09/24 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
UConn has had 2 players enter the portal, little used players DeBerry and Bettencourt. Rumor says Bettencourt will end up at S Fla. a program that relies heavily on Euro players.

So UConn's 2025 roster is 13 players, and two of them, Fudd and Griffin, will likely not be ready for Game 1. Add in that Ducharme's playing career is questionable and UConn could be down to 10 players, assuming that Patterson and El Alfy are recovered.

But what a freshman class. Two Naismith NPOY finalists. Three 3 level scorers. Add in that 6'6 El Alfy will be a 1st year red shirt so there are 4 1st year players and two of them could start and all four may be in the rotation. And leading the band is the best player in the country.

Probably the biggest change I'm seeing in wcbb is the large no. of freshmen who not only start, but lead.

I'm also very curious to see the growth of KK, Ice and Shade. Will also be nice to see Paige back in more of a facilitating role. Could be a huge year for her.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/09/24 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

. . . .

Given Sarah's own statement about why she chose UConn, I believe she's always been a strong LEAN to UConn. However, it is significant that, after removing Duke from her list, she made Duke one of her top 3 before announcing her commitment to UConn. She saw something at Duke that caused her to pause her commitment to UConn. While we Duke fans are disappointed in Sarah's final decision, we are pleased to be strongly considered alongside a proven program. We are on our way up with a coach in her prime. And the portal is always an option.

Sara's mother works for the Celtics and may have known Lawson. Strong said that she trusted her parents a lot in her process. Who knows.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/09/24 9:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Looks like Geno will get the record after all

PostPosted: 04/09/24 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Looks like Geno will get the record after all

As if there was any doubt he would stay until he got the record...

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: