RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

UConn 2023-24
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
singinerd54

PostPosted: 11/22/23 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Azzi Fudd is out for the season with an ACL tear

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2023/11/22/womens-basketball-azzi-fudd-to-miss-2023-24-season.aspx

Sad Mad Sad This could be the end of her playing career.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 11/22/23 2:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
pilight wrote:

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2023/11/22/womens-basketball-azzi-fudd-to-miss-2023-24-season.aspx

Sad Mad Sad This could be the end of her playing career.

It's almost certainly it's the end of her hopes to be the WNBA superstar I was so sure she was going to be. I doubt she's even going to make the WNBA at this point. I am overwhelmingly sad right now. Azzi is the reason I got into college basketball.

Go Huskies, but there will be a huge black cloud hanging over me every time I watch.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/22/23 3:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Not just an ACL tear but also a medial meniscus tear. It apparently happened when she came down from a jump shot shooting alone in practice. This is the same right knee in which she tore her ACL and MCL after her soph year in high school and injured twice again last season at UConn.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/22/23 4:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Not just an ACL tear but also a medial meniscus tear. It apparently happened when she came down from a jump shot shooting alone in practice. This is the same right knee in which she tore her ACL and MCL after her soph year in high school and injured twice again last season at UConn.

So, the injury hex still plagues UConn. Jan El Alfy, the 6-5 Egyptian recruit, is out for the season with an Achilles tear. Ayanna Patterson still hasn't returned to play after some sort of knee surgery over the summer. Caroline Ducharme, who lost much time last season due multiple concussions and stiff neck problems, is still seen with ice bags on her head every game and has played very inconsistently and infrequently this season. Finally, Paige Bueckers is still playing with a splinted and bandaged left thumb and wrist.
myrtle

PostPosted: 11/22/23 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

so so sad for Azzi.

PickledGinger

PostPosted: 11/22/23 10:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Happy Thanksgiving everybody. Crying or Very sad

I've never been a big UConn-er, but as a fan of the game this is incredibly depressing. I didn't realize until now how much I was rooting for her in particular to have a solid season, she's just had such a hard go over the last 5 years. All the tools to be a huge star. Jacki Gemelos 2.0. If she doesn't recover from this it will be a true tragedy for the sport.

PostPosted: 12/05/23 7:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

attempt at positive outlook:

edwards, bueckers, muhl all come back 'in hopes' of a season-long healthy roster. el alfy and patterson are fully healed. fudd comes back at some point (and i have a better feeling of her recovery after seeing paiges recovery.

IF this were to happen, all you're losing is griffin and ducharme and adding i think a couple shooters.

now come March, all you need is a player or 2 to get hot, and paige is the type of player that COULD carry a team and a lot could happen between now and then, but i cannot imagine paige and aaliyah want to go out like the way the season is currently going.

Silky Johnson

PostPosted: 12/05/23 10:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
So, the injury hex still plagues UConn. Jan El Alfy, the 6-5 Egyptian recruit, is out for the season with an Achilles tear. Ayanna Patterson still hasn't returned to play after some sort of knee surgery over the summer. Caroline Ducharme, who lost much time last season due multiple concussions and stiff neck problems, is still seen with ice bags on her head every game and has played very inconsistently and infrequently this season. Finally, Paige Bueckers is still playing with a splinted and bandaged left thumb and wrist.

Auriemma sold his soul for four straight Nattys, and the bill has come due. Feel terrible for those young women, though.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 12/05/23 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
attempt at positive outlook:

edwards, bueckers, muhl all come back 'in hopes' of a season-long healthy roster. el alfy and patterson are fully healed. fudd comes back at some point (and i have a better feeling of her recovery after seeing paiges recovery.

IF this were to happen, all you're losing is griffin and ducharme and adding i think a couple shooters.

now come March, all you need is a player or 2 to get hot, and paige is the type of player that COULD carry a team and a lot could happen between now and then, but i cannot imagine paige and aaliyah want to go out like the way the season is currently going.

Pre-injury Paige carried a team against NC state once i do remember , but a lot of hype without the results are what it's chalked up to imo for Paige. I do think she should stay one more year but with the injuries this program has consistently she may not ever get to play a WNBA game so she may need to go for her own future.

PostPosted: 12/05/23 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Favoring what I see as realism over optimism for next season:

Paige is already 22 (October 27). Basketball players peak at about 27. I highly doubt Paige would want to stay in college for another year and be 23 1/2 by the time she enters the WNBA. If she stays healthy, she should be a top 4 pick in the 2023 draft.

I don't see why Edwards would want to stay in college for a fifth year when she's likely to be a first round WNBA pick in April at almost 22 (July 9).

I don't think it helps UConn to have Muhl back next year. Admittedly, I've never been very high on her. I think KK Arnold is better, and the incoming frosh, Ziebell and Cheli, are likely to be better than Muhl even if they don't solve UConn's big problem.

UConn still has a chance to land unsigned Sarah Strong from 2024, who is the ESPN #1. At 6-2, she doesn't solve UConn's big problem either, but she's supposed to be a very versatile 3-4 kind of player.

What I saw from blind-in-one-eye Patterson last season and what I've seen from Brady in seven games this season leaves me very unimpressed by both. Other than non-playing benchers Bettencourt and DeBerry, Brady is currently last on the team in PPG (3.1) and FG% (25%), and she has fewer RPG (2.4) than guards Bueckers, Muhl, Arnold and Fudd. Watch her "jump" on shots, rebounds or blocks; there is virtually no air between her feet and the floor.

Maybe 6-4/5 El Alfy will turn out to be a really good big for UConn if she recovers 100% for next season. That's another big unknown.
PG4ever

PostPosted: 12/08/23 8:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(More) sad news for Uconn that Ayanna Patterson will probably miss the rest of the season due to a knee injury. I'm not a big UConn fan but I sure would like to see them catch a break re: the injuries. I'd also like to see Amari DeBerry step up and get more PT. That one's a head scratcher. I wonder if she would have done better elsewhere (like Notre Dame, Louisville, or Maryland which also offered). Looking at the top 20 in the '21 class I think she's made the least on the court.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 12/09/23 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PG4ever wrote:
(More) sad news for Uconn that Ayanna Patterson will probably miss the rest of the season due to a knee injury. I'm not a big UConn fan but I sure would like to see them catch a break re: the injuries.

UConn women's basketball forward Ayanna Patterson may miss remainder of season

Quote:
"I don't anticipate Ayanna being back," Auriemam said inside Werth Champions center. "You know, we've tried everything with her. And, you know, it's a long, long standing issue since high school. Everything that we've tried, she's not responded to it very well."

Patterson has also been blind in one eye since childhood due to an inherited condition from her father. This undoubtedly affects her depth perception, which in turn would necessarily affect her shooting accuracy.

This raises the sensitive question of whether an elite college sports program should be recruiting high school athletes with injuries or medical conditions that are known and likely to be chronic.

Patterson is not the only example of this on injury-plagued UConn, going on three years now. The article linked above also suggests that Caroliine Ducharme may not be available all season.

Quote:
The Huskies also remain without junior guard Caroline Ducharme due to neck/back issues. She did travel with the team to Texas last weekend and was not with the team Wednesday at Gampel Pavilion for its game against Ball State. Auriemma said Friday he still doesn't have a timeline for her return either.

"I just don't know what her situation is," Auriemma said. "But there's a chance that both of them could be out for quite some time."

Ducharme has been continuously injury prone since her freshman year in high school: a torn ACL as a high school freshman; a torn shoulder labrum as a HS sophomore; a torn hip labrum in her HS senior year and first year at UConn, for which she had surgery after her freshman year; multiple concussions and neck pains in her sophomore year; and continued neck and back pains in this her junior year.

Aubrey Griffin is a third example. She had ACL surgery and serious high ankle issues in high school, continued high ankle problems in her freshman and soph years at UConn, and then spinal disc surgery during her junior year at UConn.

Finally, there is Azzi Fudd, who tore both her right ACL and MCL after her soph year in high school, had foot injury problems during her freshman year at UConn, re-injured her right knee twice in her soph year, and now has torn right ACL again plus her meniscus in her junior year.

All four of these players had known and serious injury/medical problems since early in high school. How much, if at all, should those things be weighed in recruiting decisions?
summertime blues

PostPosted: 12/09/23 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PG4ever wrote:
(More) sad news for Uconn that Ayanna Patterson will probably miss the rest of the season due to a knee injury. I'm not a big UConn fan but I sure would like to see them catch a break re: the injuries.

Quote:
"I don't anticipate Ayanna being back," Auriemam said inside Werth Champions center. "You know, we've tried everything with her. And, you know, it's a long, long standing issue since high school. Everything that we've tried, she's not responded to it very well."

Patterson has also been blind in one eye since childhood due to an inherited condition from her father. This undoubtedly affects her depth perception, which in turn would necessarily affect her shooting accuracy.

This raises the sensitive question of whether an elite college sports program should be recruiting high school athletes with injuries or medical conditions that are known and likely to be chronic.

Patterson is not the only example of this on injury-plagued UConn, going on three years now. The article linked above also suggests that Caroliine Ducharme may not be available all season.

Quote:
The Huskies also remain without junior guard Caroline Ducharme due to neck/back issues. She did travel with the team to Texas last weekend and was not with the team Wednesday at Gampel Pavilion for its game against Ball State. Auriemma said Friday he still doesn't have a timeline for her return either.

"I just don't know what her situation is," Auriemma said. "But there's a chance that both of them could be out for quite some time."

Ducharme has been continuously injury prone since her freshman year in high school: a torn ACL as a high school freshman; a torn shoulder labrum as a HS sophomore; a torn hip labrum in her HS senior year and first year at UConn, for which she had surgery after her freshman year; multiple concussions and neck pains in her sophomore year; and continued neck and back pains in this her junior year.

Aubrey Griffin is a third example. She had ACL surgery and serious high ankle issues in high school, continued high ankle problems in her freshman and soph years at UConn, and then spinal disc surgery during her junior year at UConn.

Finally, there is Azzi Fudd, who tore both her right ACL and MCL after her soph year in high school, had foot injury problems during her freshman year at UConn, re-injured her right knee twice in her soph year, and now has torn right ACL again plus her meniscus in her junior year.

All four of these players had known and serious injury/medical problems since early in high school. How much, if at all, should those things be weighed in recruiting decisions?

A lot, in my opinion. Who is responsible for these recruiting decisions at UConn? Is it Geno, or is it one of his assistants? Does nobody look at this stuff before he puts his imprimatur on them? And what about the training staff here? Where do they fit? Lots of questions in my mind.

Maybe it's time for Geno to hang it up.

PostPosted: 12/09/23 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

A lot, in my opinion. Who is responsible for these recruiting decisions at UConn? Is it Geno, or is it one of his assistants? Does nobody look at this stuff before he puts his imprimatur on them? And what about the training staff here? Where do they fit? Lots of questions in my mind.

Maybe it's time for Geno to hang it up. Just a thought. Maybe he's getting too old and delegating too much....

PostPosted: 01/05/24 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Aubrey Griffin is now out for the rest of the season with an ACL or other serious knee injury, the only positive for UConn is that the injury might convince her to stay at UConn for another year, which I believe she has because of Covid or redshirting.

Griffin was always marginal as a WNBA candidate, in my opinion, and I doubt any team would draft her in 2024 with a serious knee injury/recovery. Recognizing that, Griffin might decide staying another year at UConn and getting another degree is her best option.

UConn certainly can use her, given that they are likely losing Bueckers, Edwards and Muhl to graduation/WNBA, and that their only known 2024 recruits are a 5-10 and a 6-2 guard (Ziebell and Cheli).
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/06/24 9:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe it's time for Geno to hang it up. Just a thought. Maybe he's getting too old and delegating too much....

Maybe UConn lost out on their primary targets and were left with multiply injured players to sign? Any way you look at it, the dynasty is coming to its' natural end. Next.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/06/24 9:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Maybe UConn lost out on their primary targets and were left with multiply injured players to sign? Any way you look at it, the dynasty is coming to its' natural end. Next.

~rAf
mercfan3

PostPosted: 01/06/24 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
summertime blues wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:
PG4ever wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Azzi Fudd, Caroline Ducharme, and Paige Bueckers were everyone’s top picks.

It’s awful luck is what it is. Like, Caroline literally just gets wacked in the head anytime she’s in the vicinity of another basketball player. It’s just been insane.

PostPosted: 01/07/24 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I wonder how much of an overlap there is between "players who overwork themselves and become more injury-prone thereby and/or try to start playing again before they're ready" and "personality types who have a mutual attraction to high-level programs like UConn and ND".

PostPosted: 01/07/24 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It might just be that now there are more high-level programs, and UConn isn't getting all the top players.

PostPosted: 01/07/24 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
I wonder how much of an overlap there is between "players who overwork themselves and become more injury-prone thereby and/or try to start playing again before they're ready" and "personality types who have a mutual attraction to high-level programs like UConn and ND".

Definitely a possibility.

I also think these are the same players who played too much when they were young.

Obviously the best players are going to be playing the most..on their multiple AAU teams, high school teams, national team, camps..etc..It's possible that we are seeing the effects of too much basketball. And it makes sense that Uconn would experience this first.

PostPosted: 01/10/24 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Aubrey Griffin done for the season

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2024/1/10/womens-basketball-aubrey-griffin-to-miss-remainder-of-season.aspx

PostPosted: 01/10/24 5:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Aubrey Griffin done for the season

https://uconnhuskies.com/news/2024/1/10/womens-basketball-aubrey-griffin-to-miss-remainder-of-season.aspx

Tore the ACL in her left knee, which she also did just before her sophomore season in high school. Even after that ACL was repaired, she continued having left knee pain in high school. Maybe everything in that left knee was not completely repaired, or maybe it can't be such as permanently lost cartilage.

UConn now has five players out for the season with injuries--Griffin, Fudd, Ducharme, Patterson and El Alfy--two of whom were starters at the beginning of the season and all of whom would have been in the regular rotation.

This is the third consecutive year of injuries to multiple star players at UConn.
pilight

PostPosted: 01/24/24 11:08 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ducharme done for the season

https://www.courant.com/2024/01/23/uconn-womens-basketballs-caroline-ducharme-out-for-2023-24-season-with-ongoing-head-and-neck-injuries-2/

PostPosted: 01/24/24 2:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Ducharme done for the season

https://www.courant.com/2024/01/23/uconn-womens-basketballs-caroline-ducharme-out-for-2023-24-season-with-ongoing-head-and-neck-injuries-2/

Ducharme is probably done for her career. This kind of thing is not likely come back from, sad to say.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: