RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hot Wiley-Gatewood Rumor
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/21/06 6:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently, Brenda Frese entertained Jerry Gatewood's thoughts because it appears that his stepdaughter is heading to Maryland this semester. Yes, I do think overinvolved parents ultimately hurt their children in the long run. However, I also look at it like this. He's trying to help his stepdaughter realize her dreams of playing professional basketball. Obviously things were not going well at Tennessee. Rather than force her to play the season out (which would've been wrong in my eyes), he pulled her and helped her latch on somewhere else.

A good parent/guardian would be willing to do that. However, it's the other BS associated with Mr. Gatwood villifies him. His comment regarding the Oklahoma program was tacky considering now that Sa'de is heading to Maryland. If a point guard can average 10 assists playing alongside Courtney Paris, the same point guard should average 15 or more assists playing alongside Doron, Newman, Coleman, and Langhorne.

Bottom line: the verdict's still out on how good of a point guard Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood really is. From the games that I've see thus far, she's nowhere close to her Class of 2008 counterparts. If I were her, I'd sit out that extra half-year so that I could play/dominate the entire 2008-09 season to impress the WNBA scouts. If the 2008 draft was this spring, would you draft her?

Mathies to LA 2013
bullsky

PostPosted: 01/21/06 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

bballfan2005 wrote:
7 guards or guard/forward players:

G Wiley-Gatewood (starter); 2008
G Doron (starter); 2007
G Toliver; 2009
G Newman; 2008
G/F Coleman (starter); 2009
G France; 2008
G Marrone; 2009

All nice players to have, but who starts and who comes off the bench next season? Newman will probably be the one who ends up back on the bench after starting this season (and doing a good job in her starting role). Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood HAS to start and must dominate time at the point to remain satisfied. Toliver is too talented to have to play behind Wiley-Gatewood, as I've been more impressed with Kristi than Sa'de. Doron and Coleman as starters are givens. France and Newman will battle for back-up minutes next season and the season afterward. Marrone will more than likely not play much at all.

This *could* work provided Sa'de is happy.

I would start:

PG- Wiley-Gatewood
SG- Doron
SF- Coleman
PF- Langhorne
C- Harper

This whole guard depth thing might not be a bad thing. They could maybe run more presses and play tougher defense without running out of gas.

PostPosted: 01/21/06 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
bballfan2005 wrote:
7 guards or guard/forward players:

G Wiley-Gatewood (starter); 2008
G Doron (starter); 2007
G Toliver; 2009
G Newman; 2008
G/F Coleman (starter); 2009
G France; 2008
G Marrone; 2009

All nice players to have, but who starts and who comes off the bench next season? Newman will probably be the one who ends up back on the bench after starting this season (and doing a good job in her starting role). Sa'de Wiley-Gatewood HAS to start and must dominate time at the point to remain satisfied. Toliver is too talented to have to play behind Wiley-Gatewood, as I've been more impressed with Kristi than Sa'de. Doron and Coleman as starters are givens. France and Newman will battle for back-up minutes next season and the season afterward. Marrone will more than likely not play much at all.

This *could* work provided Sa'de is happy.

I would start:

PG- Wiley-Gatewood
SG- Doron
SF- Coleman
PF- Langhorne
C- Harper

This whole guard depth thing might not be a bad thing. They could maybe run more presses and play tougher defense without running out of gas.

How many times have you seen Maryland play this year? No way Toliver does not start

themoseo

PostPosted: 01/21/06 7:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If Toliver does not start, she should tranfer. Seriously. That kid is way too good to sit.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/21/06 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
No way Toliver does not start

Exactly. Look at how she's schooling Denesha Kenion in your avatar! Cool

I've seen positive things from Kristi Toliver these past couple of games. With the exception of her being a quick trigger, she's a fantastic player at the point.

Mathies to LA 2013
themoseo

PostPosted: 01/21/06 7:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You know, this debate right here illustrates the potential problem.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/21/06 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
I would start:

PG- Wiley-Gatewood
SG- Doron
SF- Coleman
PF- Langhorne
C- Harper

Hey Streaks: before this week, I might've gone with that same line-up. However, Toliver has proven to be much too valuable in these last two games to keep coming off the bench. Her timely buckets in the Florida State game kept the ball rolling for Maryland. Last night, she was able to neutralize one of the ACC's best point guards in the first half, stretches of the second half, and during the OT period. I'd say that warrants a starting nod. Now here's where the real decision comes: who sits? Coleman and Langhorne have to start. However, it's all wide open after that. Doron's spot isn't as solidified as I once thought it was. Do you start Toliver and Wiley-Gatewood together in the backcourt? Do you keep Doron in the line-up and slide Coleman to the 4 (bench Harper)? Who knows what Frese will do. All we know is this: Sa'de has to start per Jerry Gatewood.

Mathies to LA 2013
themoseo

PostPosted: 01/21/06 7:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Of the people being named as starters, Gatewood, Toliver, Doron, Harper, Langhorne, and Coleman, Gatewood is in fact the sixth best player. But some extravagant promises have surely been made in order to get her to College Park. How do you think Doron and Toliver are likely to feel about that? Not to mention Newman? Frese obviously jumped at a Tennessee caliber player. Maybe because she was still smarting over losing Candace Parker, and because she is so obviously chafing to join the big time. But she betrayed her existing backcourt while she was at it. I think she has imported a problem. In more ways than one.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/21/06 9:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

themoseo wrote:
Of the people being named as starters, Gatewood, Toliver, Doron, Harper, Langhorne, and Coleman, Gatewood is in fact the sixth best player. But some extravagant promises have surely been made in order to get her to College Park. How do you think Doron and Toliver are likely to feel about that? Not to mention Newman? Frese obviously jumped at a Tennessee caliber player. Maybe because she was still smarting over losing Candace Parker, and because she is so obviously chafing to join the big time. But she betrayed her existing backcourt while she was at it. I think she has imported a problem. In more ways than one.

I agree. Her attempt to one-up Tennessee might come back on her twice as hard.

Mathies to LA 2013
Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/22/06 12:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
You know, this debate right here illustrates the potential problem.

What potential problem? A problem that will exist for ACC season and next year's NCAA Tournament run? Boy an overload of guards and ball handlers is something no team wants. Why are you trying to create controversy. I doubt Sa'de starts that first game in December, that would be a foolish mistake on the coaching staff's part. Now in 08, I can see SWG and Toliver in the same backcourt together.

Quote:
But some extravagant promises have surely been made in order to get her to College Park. Frese obviously jumped at a Tennessee caliber player.

Do you know the inner workings of some side deal that myself and other Maryland fans are unaware of? You also realize that the kid has to decide what school she wants to transfer too, it's not like SWG said I am leaving and then all 300 coaches called her the next day with offers. No coach can talk to a transfer until the school she is leaving grants her permission. So in reality, SWG sought out UNC, Maryland and Oklahoma, not the other way around.

Quote:
because she is so obviously chafing to join the big time

Yep, being ranked 6th in the country isn't big time, nor was the back-to-back top 5 classes.

Like I said earlier, Brenda will let those who've earned it start. It took a Toliver injury for Coleman to get her first start and she's one of our top 3 players. I would rather see who's playing when the game matters most, not who gets their name announced to start the game.

http://www.terpswomenshoops.blogspot.com
Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 01/22/06 4:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think SWG would join a team where she's gonna be coming off of the bench, though I could be wrong.

PostPosted: 01/22/06 6:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't think Brenda Frese got where she or MD is today by making promises to recruits that they would be starters unless they've earned it, and I doubt she's going to begin doing that now. Why would she tie her hands that way? Look at Jade Perry: when Harper was out last yr with her injury, Jade was thrown into a starting role that she wasn't quite prepared for. She's made very obvious improvements in her game in that time; when she starts, it's because she's earned it. That doesn't mean that Harper doesn't get significant minutes. Shay didn't play one second during the OT against UVA on Friday; clearly, Brenda decided that this was best at the time.

I really doubt Brenda is going to let any parent dictate who she plays or when.

Str8_Butta

PostPosted: 01/22/06 11:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
I don't think Brenda Frese got where she or MD is today by making promises to recruits that they would be starters unless they've earned it, and I doubt she's going to begin doing that now. Why would she tie her hands that way? Look at Jade Perry: when Harper was out last yr with her injury, Jade was thrown into a starting role that she wasn't quite prepared for. She's made very obvious improvements in her game in that time; when she starts, it's because she's earned it. That doesn't mean that Harper doesn't get significant minutes. Shay didn't play one second during the OT against UVA on Friday; clearly, Brenda decided that this was best at the time.

I really doubt Brenda is going to let any parent dictate who she plays or when.

I'm sure "SWG" will "earn" her starting spot when she's able to practice with the team.

I'm not even including "SWG" father in anything that I'm saying, this is about how I feel about "SWG".

I honestly wish "SWG" would have gone to UNC or OU.

PostPosted: 01/22/06 12:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Streaks wrote:
They could maybe run more presses and play tougher defense without running out of gas.

Doubtful. Brenda Frese has never been one to focus on defense.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/22/06 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The team has actually been quite successful on defense this season. Not getting that many steals, but they are blocking shoots and limiting looks.

bballfan2005

PostPosted: 01/22/06 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They have height advantages at all positions, which makes it more difficult for opponents to shoot over them. As a team, they're not a great defensive squad, but the team does have a couple of decent defenders (Harper is probably the best, followed by Coleman).

Mathies to LA 2013
fan19bb

PostPosted: 01/22/06 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

star 8butta33 You said she will earn the starting job once she pratices with the team... That is the way it should be done but allso i think she needs to earn the respect of all the players on the team. By the way with her stat's which are poor for any guard and more so for a (quote a great guard she is)than her stat's for a guard that had the players on her team to have more turnovers than assists says it all i think..She will have to show that those stat's were in the past,and play light years better or i think she will come off the bench,and maybe not the first one either...

gopher5

PostPosted: 01/25/06 8:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting comments from Sylvia Hatchell in USA Today on SWG:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/womensbasketball/2006-01-24-patrick_x.htm

"She's a great open-court point guard," Hatchell says. "She's just a great player. Maryland's already got a lot of great players. ... A lot of times when you add a great player, you take away from some of the other ones.

"We work really hard on the blend of our players and the talent we have at positions. Sometimes you can get too many horses in the barn. ... We already have two commitments (from high school juniors), one from a point, the other a wing who could play point. My No. 1 concern was to honor those commitments. That's why we didn't pursue her and, to be honest, my friendship with Pat (Summitt) had something to do with it."

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 01/25/06 9:09 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

gopher5 wrote:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/womensbasketball/2006-01-24-patrick_x.htm

"She's a great open-court point guard," Hatchell says. "She's just a great player. Maryland's already got a lot of great players. ... A lot of times when you add a great player, you take away from some of the other ones.

"We work really hard on the blend of our players and the talent we have at positions. Sometimes you can get too many horses in the barn. ... We already have two commitments (from high school juniors), one from a point, the other a wing who could play point. My No. 1 concern was to honor those commitments. That's why we didn't pursue her and, to be honest, my friendship with Pat (Summitt) had something to do with it."

Hmm... could be the truth... could be sour grapes. No way for us to know. Frankly, I think Sade took a good look at what Hatchell wears during games and decided she couldn't be on any team where the coach looks like she belongs in the Grand Old Opry! Laughing

Grumps

PostPosted: 01/25/06 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CourtsideTix wrote:
gopher5 wrote:

Hmm... could be the truth... could be sour grapes. No way for us to know. Frankly, I think Sade took a good look at what Hatchell wears during games and decided she couldn't be on any team where the coach looks like she belongs in the Grand Old Opry! Laughing

I was told by someone closer to the situation than I am that OK was her first choice, NC her second, and MD her third...I was also told that OK and NC both turned her down...Hatchell confirms half of that so I don't doubt that the other half is true too...

Grumps

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/26/06 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Grumps, may be time to reevalute your sources.

She took a visit to North Carolina, if Sylvia didn't want her, she could have easily told SWG not to take a visit. Sylvia's quote reminds me of a politician trying to cover her ass.

And I highly doubt Oklahoma turned her down.

CourtsideTix

PostPosted: 01/26/06 11:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:

She took a visit to North Carolina, if Sylvia didn't want her, she could have easily told SWG not to take a visit.

Exactly right.

Grumps

PostPosted: 01/26/06 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joey Nations wrote:
Grumps, may be time to reevalute your sources.

She took a visit to North Carolina, if Sylvia didn't want her, she could have easily told SWG not to take a visit. Sylvia's quote reminds me of a politician trying to cover her ass.

And I highly doubt Oklahoma turned her down.

Why? Hatchell confirmed half my post...Just because a player makes a visit doesn't mean they are offered a scholly...

And just because you highly doubt OK turned her down doesn't mean squat...It's just your opinion...

Grumps

themoseo

PostPosted: 01/26/06 2:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SWG never visited North Carolina.

Joey Nations

PostPosted: 01/26/06 3:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
SWG never visited North Carolina.

And your source would be?

Quote:
And just because you highly doubt OK turned her down doesn't mean squat...It's just your opinion...

As this was your opinion:
Quote:
Hatchell confirms half of that so I don't doubt that the other half is true too...
But you seemed steadfast in it.

Also, offering a visit means at one point she wanted SWG. The school, not the player, has to ask Tennessee for permission to speak with a transferring player. At one point, Sylvia or someone on her staff did this. That means she wanted her.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: