RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Louisville vs Notre Dame - 3/04/23
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/04/23 8:56 am    ::: Louisville vs Notre Dame - 3/04/23 Reply Reply with quote

ACC Tournament - Semifinal
Greensboro, NC - 12:00 PM ET

TV: ACC Network (Beth Mowins, Debbie Antonelli)

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/d2defadb-f7ca-4fee-b1a4-fd292c586b8d (tvpli)

Audio:
https://wgtktheanswer.com/

Live stats:
http://stats.statbroadcast.com/broadcast/?id=459049
https://statbroadcast.com/events/tournament.php?tid=209
https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/central.php?gid=acc

https://und.com/irish-cardinals-to-meet-for-a-third-time-this-season/
The Irish will once again be without star point guard Olivia Miles. Sophomore Sonia Citron has stepped up in her absence, running the point for the last six quarters and change. Citron had a season-high 28 points against NC State on Friday, besting the 27 she had at Louisville last weekend. In doing so, she became the first Irish player since 2018 Arike Ogunbowale to post back-to-back games with at least 25 points.

But Citron can’t do it alone. She’s had help thus far from junior forward Maddy Westbeld, and freshmen guards KK Bransford and Cassandre Prosper have seen their minutes skyrocket in Miles’ absence. They posted 14 and 11 points, respectively, at Louisville last weekend, and a similar performance will likely be needed on Saturday on Notre Dame’s end of the floor.

If the group wants to make the title game for the first time since 2019, Notre Dame will need to contain All-ACC First Team guard Hailey Van Lith once again. She has been Louisville’s leading scorer in the last eight games, including posting 19 and 23 against the Irish this year. The junior had 26 points against the Demon Deacons on Friday, including five buckets from behind the arc.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned

Last edited by Shades on 03/04/23 2:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/04/23 9:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please, Please, Please be Steph and Pam calling this game!!!!!!!!!!!

Can/will a depleted ND beat L'ville three times in, what, two weeks?

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 03/04/23 10:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Lol no shot you know Debbie is always on the call for the ACC semis and finals

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/04/23 12:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mikeyc22 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

Lol no shot you know Debbie is always on the call for the ACC semis and finals

She's such a dumb ass!! ND gets an offensive rebound and she follows it with "no second chances." Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

One can hope!

Carr knocks Citron down, walks by her and looks down at her and keeps going. Cold.

And now Citron has drawn the third foul on UL in one trip down he floor.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/04/23 12:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm afraid that this is going to turn into a bloodbath.

ND with two starters injured (Mabry and Miles) and three on the bench with two fouls (Ebo, Westbeld, and Bransford).

8:51 left in the second and it's 18-7 UL

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/04/23 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

The problem is Walz has plenty of warm bodies with whom to play his trademark Hack Attack. ND does not have depth to survive committing dumb fouls.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/04/23 12:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:

The problem is Walz has plenty of warm bodies with whom to play his trademark Hack Attack. ND does not have depth to survive committing dumb fouls.

And Citron draws another foul. And what a stupid foul. Carr just totally pushed her on a layup attempt. So obvious!!!!!!!!

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 03/04/23 12:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't watch any more of this.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/04/23 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND competed like a paralyzed squirrel under the wheels of a cement mixer. It must've been the reffing.
CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/04/23 2:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
ND competed like a paralyzed squirrel under the wheels of a cement mixer. It must've been the reffing.

Funny that you should say this given that I don't see any posts complaining about the reffing in this particular thread. There is talk about "dumb fouls" but that isn't blaming the refs, but the players.

Come on Glenn, you're better than that.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/04/23 2:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Playing without two starters is a tough task. How about we give ND the same level of sympathy that Art gives UConn. Rolling Eyes

Too bad Ivy hasn't developed a bench for things like this.

Shades

PostPosted: 03/04/23 2:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

64-38 LOU final

LOU scoring pretty well distributed.
ND no double digit scorers.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/04/23 2:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ND is definitely suffering from not having Miles. That can kind of mess up a team's offense.

ND hasn't had much time to adjust to missing Miles. You can make up for it if it's in the moment and the other team's defense hasn't figured out the changes resulting in the injury (like 2nd half of the game at Louisville) or if the other team has to adjust to an injury (like NC State), but coming in against a top level ACC defense is rough. ND likely would have had the same results against Duke and maybe Va Tech.

For the NCAAs, ND will either have Miles back or enough time without her to work out how to run the offense without her.

Here is a weird thing I noticed in this game. I don't think I've seen this before:

1st quarter at 6:14 Louisville is in the bonus. No fouls on Louisville
2nd quarter at 4:04 ND is in the bonus. No fouls on ND.
3rd quarter at 5:47 ND is in the bonus. Just one foul on ND.
4th quarter at 5:15 Louisville is in the bonus. Just one foul on Louisville.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/04/23 2:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Playing without two starters is a tough task. How about we give ND the same level of sympathy that Art gives UConn. Rolling Eyes

Coming from a guy who makes light of an injury during a game.

Working on that. New PG is coming next year. Also a 3 point shooter.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/04/23 3:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Ivey: Coach in her 3rd season rebuilding a team after a lot of transfers (mostly from change in style of play, which can happen with a new coach)
Auriemma: Coach in his 38th season

Bit of a different situation there.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/04/23 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
ND is definitely suffering from not having Miles. That can kind of mess up a team's offense.

ND hasn't had much time to adjust to missing Miles. You can make up for it if it's in the moment and the other team's defense hasn't figured out the changes resulting in the injury (like 2nd half of the game at Louisville) or if the other team has to adjust to an injury (like NC State), but coming in against a top level ACC defense is rough. ND likely would have had the same results against Duke and maybe Va Tech.

For the NCAAs, ND will either have Miles back or enough time without her to work out how to run the offense without her.

Here is a weird thing I noticed in this game. I don't think I've seen this before:

Tough loss but after winning twice vs Louis recently (with Miles) they were up against it today. Given time now they will adjust by NCAA time.

Those officials weren't trying to "even things up". Were they? Rolling Eyes

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/04/23 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And to make matters even worse for the ACCT, ND was also down an assistant coach. Assistant coach Charel Allen wasn't there due to "personal reasons." They didn't mention more than that.

Could have been worse. Could have lost 100-67... Wink

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/04/23 5:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Tough loss but after winning twice vs Louis recently (with Miles) they were up against it today. Given time now they will adjust by NCAA time.

Those officials weren't trying to "even things up". Were they? Rolling Eyes

Actually, the win last week was without Miles. They were down when Miles got hurt near the end of Q2 and were down double digits in Q3. The comeback win was without Miles. Citron scored 17 in the second half of that game, 27 total.

I suspect the time for adjustments perhaps more importantly gave Walz a chance to adjust his defense to focus on Citron and on pressuring the inexperienced Bransford and Prosper into mistakes. It worked. He did a much better job doing that today than Wes Moore did yesterday.

I'm not saying the officials did a bad job but the way they started out calling the game played right into Louisville's strategy of getting offensive foul calls on ND's inside game which both neutralized ND's significant height advantage and created a problem for ND's thin bench.

It just wasn't our day. But the number 1 seeds have been upset in three P5 conference tournaments already. (1 and 2 in the ACC, 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the PAC, 1 in the Big10 so far)

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/04/23 5:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Watching the SEC title game briefly on ESPNU and their scores box at the bottom says for the ND game "T-2nd fewest points by any team in ACC Tournament History"

I assume that Duke must have set the record for fewest today since they only had 37?

ESPN chose not to report that.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/04/23 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
linkster wrote:

I never made a comment about the injury you speak of. I commented about the comments already posted there and a couple posted on UConn game threads. The only thing I said about Miles was my hope that her coaches don't rush her back. If that is somehow insulting to Miles then explain.

I'm sorry. I have no problem with most fans of other teams but a few have declared "no rules" with respect to commenting about UConn and make wild unsupported accusations which are almost totally baseless. I haven't seen this level of insulting comments since the old ESPN board.

goforit77

PostPosted: 03/04/23 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:

I was at the game close to the ND bench. Olivia Miles was limping very badly and does not look close to being ready to play.

goforit77

PostPosted: 03/04/23 9:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I was at the game close to the ND bench. Olivia Miles was limping very badly and does not look close to being ready to play.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/04/23 11:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
CBiebel wrote:
linkster wrote:

I never made a comment about the injury you speak of. I commented about the comments already posted there and a couple posted on UConn game threads. The only thing I said about Miles was my hope that her coaches don't rush her back. If that is somehow insulting to Miles then explain.

I'm sorry. I have no problem with most fans of other teams but a few have declared "no rules" with respect to commenting about UConn and make wild unsupported accusations which are almost totally baseless. I haven't seen this level of insulting comments since the old ESPN board.

Sorry, but no. "It's "obvious to my lay eyes" that Miles needs to sit out now and next season." That is not a serious comment (Quite a few knee injuries could safely come back next season, so that part is false). This is a snarky comment coming very soon after the player is injured, which is, therefore, mocking the injury. The comment is not made with genuine concern. The fact that so many smilies were included in the post demonstrates that. Those smilies, on top of the closeness to the time of the injury, suggest that the concern wasn't genuine. Who sees a knee injury (which is often a season ending injury) and suggests that a coach might rush them back in a week or two? That is mockery, plain and simple.

BTW, suggesting that you need to sit out an entire year for a knee injury isn't true either, as ND's coach personally showed. She had an ACL tear in the 1999 Big East Tournament (Semifinals vs Rutgers) and played the entire 1999-2000 season without any problems. Who is suggesting that players have to sit out entire seasons after injuries during the previous season? Once again, mockery.

The people who you were supposedly mocking (the ones who criticized Auriemma) were making comments after watching players who looked injured be put back into the game. Your post was about a player who was injured, but with a coach who didn't show that tendency. The closest example would be Citron in today's game, looking winded, being taken out, and then coming back in. As I said at the time, if Miles was put back in, then you'd have been justified in making that post.

Keep in mind that even the poster who was explaining why you posted that wasn't condoning your posting of it. That alone should tell you something.

Yes, I know, certain ND fans here are not nice. Yes, Art, that's you. You really should dial it down quite a bit. As Abe Lincoln once said, you can't build yourself up by tearing others down. Some criticism of other teams is okay, but there is such a thing as going overboard, and when you do, it both makes the rest of the fan base look bad and invites reprisals from the others.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/04/23 11:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Watching the SEC title game briefly on ESPNU and their scores box at the bottom says for the ND game "T-2nd fewest points by any team in ACC Tournament History"

I assume that Duke must have set the record for fewest today since they only had 37?

ESPN chose not to report that.

They messed it up.

It was likely the 2nd least scored by a #1 seed, since the least was a lot lower than that. ND actually got higher by 1 than the record for lowest by a #1 seed.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/04/23 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

goforit77 wrote:

My personal opinion is that she likely won't be ready for the NCAAs. I don't have any special knowledge on that. It's just a feeling.

But that's okay. The overall season has been great for the team (which is still young). and everyone except Mabrey and Ebo are returning, with back PG and a tall, athletic 3 point shooter coming in next year.

If Miles is out, anything past the Sweet Sixteen will be gravy.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: