RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

North Carolina vs Duke - 3/03/23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 03/03/23 12:47 am    ::: North Carolina vs Duke - 3/03/23 Reply Reply with quote

ACC Tournament - Quarterfinal
Greensboro, NC - 6:00 PM ET

TV: ACC Network

Video stream:
https://www.espn.com/watch/player/_/id/a769dba1-87d8-43f3-8e4a-5d0990e6029f (tvpli)

Audio:
https://thevarsitynetwork.com/audioapplink/source/oas-1693/content/duke:allaccess-Live-970

Live stats:
https://statbroadcast.com/events/tournament.php?tid=209
https://www.statbroadcast.com/events/central.php?gid=acc

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/03/23 6:13 pm    ::: Re: North Carolina vs Duke - 3/03/23 Reply Reply with quote

Duke up 7-5 w/5+ mins to go Q1

~rAf
linkster

PostPosted: 03/03/23 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

9-8 after one.

Duke's last fg in the 1st came with 4:35 left in the period. If it wasn't for the animosity between the programs I'd switch to Ga-LSU.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/23 6:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Debbie Antonelli when asked if she expected another record-setting low-scoring event like these teams' last meeting, answers "I hope not, for the good of the game".

Sorry Debbie. After 1Q it's 9-8, Duke leads.
UNC is shooting 21% (3-14) but only has 2 turnovers, so they've improved that.
Duke is shooting 36% (4-11) but has 7 turnovers. Duke is again winning the boards, 13-6.

As Q2 starts, Debbie just said, "so this is now starting to look like the last game because both teams are turning it over and neither team can get a basket."

Well it's probably going to be a tight game; stick around for an exciting 4th Q.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/23 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I said during the last game that I thought Duke was the better team and I expected them to win. I'm going to say it again this time.

North Carolina just looks wild and undisciplined and out of control. I'm really surprised. Based on her Princeton teams, I expected Banghart's teams to be more organized and disciplined.

Duke's team looks far more organized, smarter and better coached, but the absence of any reliable scorer is stunning. One would think you could go down to a local playground and find someone who could shoot a jump shot. But they do play tenacious defense.

I have to admit, it is entertaining in its unpredictability.

UNC leads 24-19 at the half. Both teams shooting about 30%. Even Banghart said to the interviewer about her own team on the way to the locker room "we're not making good decisions with the ball and we're playing too fast." Yes, yes you are.

I think the story so far is that UNC is taking care of the ball and has only 5 turnovers. Duke has 13 turnovers in the first half. They just can't keep that up. They do have a 25-14 rebounding advantage though.

And in a game that is likely to stay low scoring and really close, it can come down to one team or the other hitting 2 or 3 shots, especially a couple of 3s, in the closing minutes. That could easily be the margin of victory.

BTW, just as an aside, Van Lith had 17 pts in the first quarter for Louisville today, which is the same as the total points scored by both teams in the first quarter of this game How good would Duke be if Van Lith played for them, with their defense.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/03/23 7:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
I said during the last game that I thought Duke was the better team and I expected them to win. I'm going to say it again this time.

North Carolina just looks wild and undisciplined and out of control. I'm really surprised. Based on her Princeton teams, I expected Banghart's teams to be more organized and disciplined.

Duke's team looks far more organized, smarter and better coached, but the absence of any reliable scorer is stunning. One would think you could go down to a local playground and find someone who could shoot a jump shot. But they do play tenacious defense.

I have to admit, it is entertaining in its unpredictability.

UNC leads 24-19 at the half. Both teams shooting about 30%. Even Banghart said to the interviewer about her own team on the way to the locker room "we're not making good decisions with the ball and we're playing too fast." Yes, yes you are.

I think the story so far is that UNC is taking care of the ball and has only 5 turnovers. Duke has 13 turnovers in the first half. They just can't keep that up. They do have a 25-14 rebounding advantage though.

And in a game that is likely to stay low scoring and really close, it can come down to one team or the other hitting 2 or 3 shots, especially a couple of 3s, in the closing minutes. That could easily be the margin of victory.

BTW, just as an aside, Van Lith had 17 pts in the first quarter for Louisville today, which is the same as the total points scored by both teams in the first quarter of this game How good would Duke be if Van Lith played for them, with their defense.

At the half Dukes leads in to's 13-5.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/23 7:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is a tough game to officiate, but this crew is not distinguishing itself. It's not consistent. We have bodies flying all over the floor both ways with no whistles, but then a minor bump on a drive gets immediately called. And Balugun swung an elbow in the paint and whacked a UNC player in the face with no whistle, much to the astonishment of both Hildreth and Antonelli.

The inconsistency bothers me a lot more than whether they call it tight or loose.

At the end of Q3 it's UNC 36 Duke 34. Duke is now shooting 35%, UNC 28%. Duke has reduced its turnover rate and is still dominating the boards. Balogun has hit three 3s which could be huge if she can make a couple more.

Hildreth just call the stat line "eerily similar to last Sunday's game".

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/23 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think the refs have quit. They have completely lost control. In the last series people got hammered at both ends of the floor with no calls. Amazing. Duke had taken the lead, but in the chaos, UNC scored to tie it again at 38.

5 minutes to go.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/23 7:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We're tied again at 40, Duke ball, 2:15 to go. Deja Kelly continues to play hero ball and throw up bricks, now shooting 4-19. If she'd just pass occasionally, UNC could have a lead.

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 03/03/23 7:44 pm; edited 2 times in total
Shades

PostPosted: 03/03/23 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

42-40 Duke with 1:08 left

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 03/03/23 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is… something lol

Balogun likely could have just iced the game but missed a point blank layup. Duke ball with 1:08 to go and up 2

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/23 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm not sure I've ever heard a game, not at this level such as between 2 ranked team in the ACC tournament, where the announcers are openly mocking both teams and have been throughout.

It's pretty unprofessional, actually, even if they're right.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/23 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke leads 43-40 after Day-Wilson hits 1 of 2 free throws. 30 seconds to go.

UNC comes down and Kelly bricks two more shots. Now 4-22.

Total chaos ensues for UNC. They don't call timeout. And Duke leads by 4 with 3 seconds to go and is going to win the game barring some incredible act of stupidity like fouling the shooter on a successful 3 pt shot.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/23 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was fitting. UNC inbounds the ball and Hodgson just outright drops the ball without getting off a 3 pt shot.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/23 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They just said this is the lowest score ever by a winning team in the ACC tournament. Duke wins 44-40.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/03/23 8:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ineptitude, right down to the last few seconds.

Is this the result of parity? It was sure competitive.

mikeyc22

PostPosted: 03/03/23 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Someone here said Deja Kelly was overrated and I have always thought the same. 4-22 today. Also thought shot selection from Todd Williams was horrible all game.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/03/23 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Duke's offense is pretty bad, but their defense is exceptional, probably the second best after South Carolina. It may not have been pretty for those who like offense, but for defensive purists, it was beautiful.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/03/23 8:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Duke's offense is pretty bad, but their defense is exceptional, probably the second best after South Carolina. It may not have been pretty for those who like offense, but for defensive purists, it was beautiful.

If the officials had actually called things tonight, neither team would have had enough players to finish the game. I'm not sure you can say that "purists" would call that "exceptional defense" just because the score was abysmally low. It's basketball. Bodies are not supposed to be sprawled on the floor every minute of the game.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/03/23 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So the Duke haters have had a field day...glad you got your rocks off. UNC beat Duke twice but it's Duke that gets to send UNC home!

Let me explain this once again. Kara was left in a horrible position with a bunch of demoralized untalented players and had zero chance to land players in yr 1 and close to zero chance in year two. Kara got lucky with the new transfer rules and was able to up the talent a little last season. She got more selective this year and brought in 1) height and 2) athleticism. Note that she had to make choices and prioritized these two instead of shooting.

So Duke can't shoot, but with Kara's priorities, she was able to implement - as noted - one of the best defenses in the country and the team made one of the most remarkable turnarounds in the country. They went from one very dismal post season game in the ACC tournament to EARNING the double bye and EARNING playing the first two NCAA games at home.

I am FAR from being a "defensive purist." VERY far away. And yet, this team makes defense exciting to watch. It takes some HARD HARD work to get the players working as a unit like they do, with every player knowing where to go every time the ball moves on the floor. This includes knowing how to cover players when one player jumps a passing lane to leave her player open. It's ALL coordinated. It's the plan that was drawn up and taught to this group and having all the players buy in and execute that is beautiful to watch.

But, yeah, let's all be Debbie Antonelli echoes and just talk about the fact that Duke doesn't have shooters. Again, hope you got your rocks off.

~rAf
CBiebel

PostPosted: 03/04/23 3:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:

They mentioned that two of the Duke assistants were players under C Vivian Stringer. That explains a lot as far as the defense (Note AIM: I'm not hating on Duke here).

Duke's defense is no joke and as the saying goes, defense wins championships.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: