RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Xavier @ #9 Connecticut - 2/27/23

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shades

PostPosted: 02/27/23 6:36 pm    ::: Xavier @ #9 Connecticut - 2/27/23 Reply Reply with quote

Storrs, CT - 7:00 PM ET
TV: CBS Sports Network (Jason Horowitz, Julianne Viani)

Video stream:
https://www.cbssports.com/watch/live (tvpli)

Audio:
https://thevarsitynetwork.com/audioapplink/source/oas-1502/content/uconn:allaccess-Live-6006

Live stats:
http://www.statbroadcast.com/events/statmonitr.php?gid=conn

UConn women's basketball team will celebrate graduate students Dorka Juhász and Lou Lopez Sénéchal before taking on Xavier Monday night.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
mikeyc22

PostPosted: 02/27/23 6:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dorka out with an ankle injury.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/27/23 6:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Geno: Her name's Amari and she wears the number 42 on her jersey. She's the beautiful tall 6'5" girl that usually sits at the end of the bench and cheers for the team and helps them off the floor when they get hurt or injured. Just in case you didn't know...

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/27/23 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

20-18 at Q1 against 0-19 Xavier. Griffin didn't partake in senior ceremonies. Muhl passes Bird for UConn single season assist record.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/27/23 7:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Geno: Her name's Amari and she wears the number 42 on her jersey. She's the beautiful tall 6'5" girl that usually sits at the end of the bench and cheers for the team and helps them off the floor when they get hurt or injured. Just in case you didn't know...

Well then I hope she doesn't see any action tonight then. UConn has enough injured players.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/27/23 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

X leads after a 13-0 run. DeBerry in game after Patterson shows nothing (again).
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 02/27/23 7:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Xavier is on a 13-0 run in the second quarter to take a 22-20 lead in Storrs. The Musketeers are 0-19 in the Big East and have only scored more than 55 points in three league contests.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/27/23 7:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn then goes on a 16-2 run to lead 36-24 at the half. Patterson actually (1) drove and (2) hit the shot for perhaps the first time this season.
linkster

PostPosted: 02/27/23 7:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

36-24 UConn at the half. That score should keep the vultures away.

The bench played 12 minutes and the reason is apparent. Being 6'5 isn't enough.

linkster

PostPosted: 02/27/23 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
UConn then goes on a 16-2 run to lead 36-24 at the half. Patterson actually (1) drove and (2) hit the shot for perhaps the first time this season.

That comment reminds me of my jr high math teacher who handed me my exam score which was the best in the class and then said" it's about time you did something well". And she wasn't smiling. It was true but she chose to refer to the past instead of the exam in her hand.

And yeah, maybe Patterson's only drive and make.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/27/23 8:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

A 14-14 Q3. 12 pt game going into the 4th. UConn shooting 43%, Xavier 36%.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/27/23 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

11 pt game with 2 minutes to go.
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/27/23 9:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UConn scores 60 pts, wins by 9, with 41% shooting and 17 turnovers against Xavier. Wins BE regular season title.
linkster

PostPosted: 02/27/23 9:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My new theory is that UConn is practicing something different than what they are using in these last few games. Wink

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/27/23 11:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brutally honest and realistic/pessimistic analysis of his team by Geno in the presser. He ends with: "I knew I should've gotten on that plane with Stewie in 2016."

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_fANNbyFSXQ" title="UConn vs. Xavier | Geno Auriemma Postgame" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/28/23 4:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Brutally honest and realistic/pessimistic analysis of his team by Geno in the presser. He ends with: "I knew I should've gotten on that plane with Stewie in 2016."

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_fANNbyFSXQ" title="UConn vs. Xavier | Geno Auriemma Postgame" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

OK. That's honest. He knew he was on the mountain peak and there was only one direction to go in from there. He knows his image has taken a big hit by continuing as coach as the team slid down from the peak they were accustomed to occupying.

Like Coach K, they were able to get the team to the FF in their later years but not able to take home the NC. Two of the greatest basketball coaches of all time. UConn will have to deal with the post Geno years, sooner or later.

~rAf
RavenDog

PostPosted: 03/01/23 12:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:

After all the things these girls gave to him and the program...Geno's ego takes over and it's under the bus again.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/01/23 1:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
GlennMacGrady wrote:

After all the things these girls gave to him and the program...Geno's ego takes over and it's under the bus again.

I thought he acknowledged that he's not been the coach he once was. He's brought in great players and not taken them to the promised land. Actually, getting to the FF & Championship game last year was pretty good. If he actually plays the players he brings in, next year could be a last hurrah. Geno will continue to get fewer of the top players from here on out. Especially with his finale "I should have gotten on the plane with Breanna Stewart." WTH does that say to potential players? His days are numbered.

~rAf
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/01/23 2:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I thought he acknowledged that he's not been the coach he once was. He's brought in great players and not taken them to the promised land. Actually, getting to the FF & Championship game last year was pretty good. If he actually plays the players he brings in, next year could be a last hurrah. Geno will continue to get fewer of the top players from here on out. Especially with his finale "I should have gotten on the plane with Breanna Stewart." WTH does that say to potential players? His days are numbered.

If I could channel my inner linkster here, people have been saying that Geno cannot recruit anymore at several points in the past and they have always been wrong. When the old Big East dissolved and UConn was relegated to the AAC, those voices were the loudest. But he kept proving them wrong. He has had the most HoopGurlz #1 players by far, more than all the other teams combined. He's a recruiting magnet. I believe that until Geno retires, UConn will always be in the top 5 in high school talent recruited.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/01/23 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, I am going to get roasted for this by the UConn faithful, but I believe that although Geno can still recruit, his coaching abilities and strategies are not what they were and I think he may have lost sight of when it's time to leave the stage. He seems fine when he has five or 6 healthy top of the line players, but let the injuries happen and he's lost. No contingency plan.

OK, said my piece. You may now start throwing things, but that's my view from here.

PostPosted: 03/01/23 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
Well, I am going to get roasted for this by the UConn faithful, but I believe that although Geno can still recruit, his coaching abilities and strategies are not what they were and I think he may have lost sight of when it's time to leave the stage. He seems fine when he has five or 6 healthy top of the line players, but let the injuries happen and he's lost. No contingency plan.

OK, said my piece. You may now start throwing things, but that's my view from here.

At least you're ready for it, summertime! Of course, by stating the truth about "he who can do no wrong" you're labelled a "hater" and they WILL throw everything but the kitchen sink at you.

You are 100% correct: he will still get some top recruits, but he is no longer the "always on top of every little thing" coach he once was. It happens. Having his mother die this season and then get so sick to miss some games is not a small thing in a person's life.

I'm just going to add this: Geno and I are the same age and there are things 69 yr old people do better than people either younger or older - our brains are more elastic than when we were younger and are still functioning well (see the research!!). Our bodies are rarely better than they were 20 yrs ago (mine is, but I had cancer) and it is hard to compete with coaches at their physical peak. But you add a major life event into the mix (losing your mom is a major event) and it's understandable that he's not performing at the level he has previously.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: