RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

AA Teams: Your Choices and Official Teams
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 02/28/23 5:40 pm    ::: AA Teams: Your Choices and Official Teams Reply Reply with quote

The idea of this topic is for you to pick your AA teams and then, later, to post the various official teams as they are selected.

If I had to choose right now, just before the conference tournaments, my five player team (regardless of positions) would be:

Caitlin Clark
Angel Reese
Maddy Siegrist
Aliyah Boston
Mackenzie Holmes
Coyotes

PostPosted: 02/28/23 6:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caitlin Clark
Mackenzie Holmes
Maddy Siegrist
Cameron Brink
Aliyah Boston

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 02/28/23 6:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Caitlin Clark
Olivia Miles
Aliyah Boston
Diamond Miller
Elizabeth Kitley

undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/28/23 9:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An attempt to have two guards on each team

Clark
Miles
Holmes
Siegrist
Boston
--
Miller
Lopez Senechal
Pili
Reese
Brink
--
Latson
Hofschild
Jones
Edwards
Kitley

Yes I realize the Big 12 is not represented. Sorry but y'all have had a weird season.

PostPosted: 02/28/23 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is why I want to have a 1,2,3 poll for POY. I'm shocked at the number of people who've left Angel Reese off the first team. Equally shocked by the number who want her for POY over Clark and Boston. People are very polarized over the value of Angel Reese!

~rAf
LibFan25

PostPosted: 03/01/23 7:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Caitlin Clark
Olivia Miles
Aliyah Boston
Diamond Miller
Elizabeth Kitley

Miller should be in everyone top 5, she was amazing and exciting to watch this year

My top5

Olivia
Caitlin
Diamond
Angel
Elizabeth

LibFan25

PostPosted: 03/01/23 7:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
This is why I want to have a 1,2,3 poll for POY. I'm shocked at the number of people who've left Angel Reese off the first team. Equally shocked by the number who want her for POY over Clark and Boston. People are very polarized over the value of Angel Reese!

I'm shocked as well and diamond should be a first team all-american Heads down

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/01/23 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LibFan25 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Caitlin Clark
Olivia Miles
Aliyah Boston
Diamond Miller
Elizabeth Kitley

Miller should be in everyone top 5, she was amazing and exciting to watch this year

My top5

Olivia
Caitlin
Diamond
Angel
Elizabeth

LOLOL at leaving Boston off 1st team, though I do love seeing such passion for individual favorites. Miller is pretty darn good, but another season with time missed to injury really plays against her.

~rAf
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/01/23 1:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Caitlin Clark
Olivia Miles
Aliyah Boston
Diamond Miller
Elizabeth Kitley

My top5

Olivia
Caitlin
Diamond
Angel
Elizabeth

LOLOL at leaving Boston off 1st team, though I do love seeing such passion for individual favorites. Miller is pretty darn good, but another season with time missed to injury really plays against her.

And Boston will take Kitley to school if they face each other. Certainly if Kitley makes a WNBA roster, that match up will be fun to watch - especially for Boston fans.

~rAf
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/01/23 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Caitlin Clark
Olivia Miles
Aliyah Boston
Diamond Miller
Elizabeth Kitley

My top5

Olivia
Caitlin
Diamond
Angel
Elizabeth

Right, because college athletes with injury issues probably won't make a difference in the pros. Remember that awesome Duke guard who was so talented but was constantly injured? Never realized her potential in the pros. Can't think of her name...was it Gray? Cool

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/01/23 3:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
I'm shocked at the number of people who've left Angel Reese off the first team. Equally shocked by the number who want her for POY over Clark and Boston. People are very polarized over the value of Angel Reese!

Like LSU as a team, Reese's gaudy numbers must be put in context. They've played 8 games against teams in the NET top 50 (and 6 against the top 49); South Carolina has played 13 such games, Iowa 14, and Villanova 10.

In those 8 games, Reese shot 42.9% (57/133) from the field, with only one game above 50%. For a post player with no perimeter game, that's terrible.

Clark should win POY and Siegrist should be second.

pilight

PostPosted: 03/01/23 3:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I would have thought the SC game would have spelled the end of Angel Reese as a POY candidate. She was obviously inferior to Boston and only some garbage time buckets saved her from a really ugly stat line.

PostPosted: 03/01/23 7:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I would have thought the SC game would have spelled the end of Angel Reese as a POY candidate. She was obviously inferior to Boston and only some garbage time buckets saved her from a really ugly stat line.

This is an AA thread not a POY thread. For that purpose, Reese's monster stats and her team's one-loss, top-four success can't be ignored. Currently, Reese is 5th in PPG, 2nd in RPG, 1st in ORPG, 1st in FTM's, and 1st in double doubles.

It's reasonable to think Boston is better than Reese, but Boston has had 4 point games against Florida and Georgia and got outscored by Reese in their head-to-head, a game in which Boston was surrounded by far more and deeper and taller talent than Reese.
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/01/23 8:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:

This is an AA thread not a POY thread. For that purpose, Reese's monster stats and her team's one-loss, top-four success can't be ignored. Currently, Reese is 5th in PPG, 2nd in RPG, 1st in ORPG, 1st in FTM's, and 1st in double doubles.

It's reasonable to think Boston is better than Reese, but Boston has had 4 point games against Florida and Georgia and got outscored by Reese in their head-to-head, a game in which Boston was surrounded by far more and deeper and taller talent than Reese.

Oh Glenn, why are you forcing me to defend South Carolina? I think you probably know that your argument is ludicrous and misleading, although you did not lie (except perhaps a lie of omission).

Against Florida, Boston only scored 4 points, but she shot 2-4 with 6 boards in only 15 minutes in a 31 point blowout.

Against Georgia, she shot 1-6 for 4 points in 31 minutes, so that was a bad game.

Against LSU, she was outscored by Reese, but Reese was 3-12 going into the 4th quarter and finished 5-15 for 16 points with 4 boards. While Boston shot 5-9 for 14 points and 9 boards. I believe any reasonable person would agree that Boston had a better game.

singinerd54

PostPosted: 03/01/23 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
pilight wrote:

As I mentioned already, her inefficiency against teams with a pulse is something I will not overlook. You're welcome to have her on your AA first team, but her padded stats from playing a cupcake schedule and rebounding many of her own missed layups don't make the cut for me.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 03/01/23 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Against Georgia, [Boston] shot 1-6 for 4 points in 31 minutes, so that was a bad game.

So what?

Against Georgia, Reese got 23 points and 14 rebounds.

So what?

Against LSU, she was outscored by Reese, but Reese was 3-12 going into the 4th quarter and finished 5-15 for 16 points with 4 boards. While Boston shot 5-9 for 14 points and 9 boards. I believe any reasonable person would agree that Boston had a better game.

So what?

The topic isn't whether Boston is better than Reese or who should be POY, but what is your AA team.

So WHAT?
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/01/23 9:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Caitlin Clark
Olivia Miles
Aliyah Boston
Diamond Miller
Elizabeth Kitley

My top5

Olivia
Caitlin
Diamond
Angel
Elizabeth

Right, because college athletes with injury issues probably won't make a difference in the pros. Remember that awesome Duke guard who was so talented but was constantly injured? Never realized her potential in the pros. Can't think of her name...was it Gray? Cool

Chelsea Gray did not get the college props due to her injuries so I'm just saying Diamond might not make the final cut for the same reason. Chelsea wasn't picked for WNBA as high as her talent warranted BECAUSE of her multiple injuries. Now that she's stayed healthy, everyone can see just how talented she is and was. But post season honors DO consider time missed due to injury. Elena DelleDonne was one of the most efficient players in the WNBA but got completely omitted from post season honors due to the # of games she missed. Time missed for injuries is ALWAYS a factor in post season honors, you'll just have to accept that fact.

~rAf
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/01/23 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Against Georgia, [Boston] shot 1-6 for 4 points in 31 minutes, so that was a bad game.

So what?

Against Georgia, Reese got 23 points and 14 rebounds.

So what?

So what?

The topic isn't whether Boston is better than Reese or who should be POY, but what is your AA team.

So WHAT?

First of all, as a lawyer, you are not nearly as daft as you are pretending to be.

YOU brought up the LSU/South Carolina game as a reason why Reese should be an AA, arguing that she outscored Boston. I was merely using YOUR example to show that it doesn't support her candidacy.

As for the Georgia game, I was AGREEING with you that it was a bad game for Boston. YOU brought up these three games when making your argument. I was simply explaining why 2 out of 3 of your examples were not particularly good arguments.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 03/01/23 11:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
LibFan25 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
Caitlin Clark
Olivia Miles
Aliyah Boston
Diamond Miller
Elizabeth Kitley

My top5

Olivia
Caitlin
Diamond
Angel
Elizabeth

Chelsea Gray did not get the college props due to her injuries so I'm just saying Diamond might not make the final cut for the same reason. Chelsea wasn't picked for WNBA as high as her talent warranted BECAUSE of her multiple injuries. Now that she's stayed healthy, everyone can see just how talented she is and was. But post season honors DO consider time missed due to injury. Elena DelleDonne was one of the most efficient players in the WNBA but got completely omitted from post season honors due to the # of games she missed. Time missed for injuries is ALWAYS a factor in post season honors, you'll just have to accept that fact.

OK, but I think that Diamond is a lottery pick, despite her injury history. Do you really expect her to fall in the draft? Where do you see her getting picked?

Gray didn't even play in her first WNBA season after getting injured halfway through her senior year, so that affected her draft prospects.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/02/23 8:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

These awards don't correlate with WNBA success, and I'm not sure they are supposed to.

For example, Asia Durr was gifted two straight ACC POY awards over Arike Ogunbowale. I suspect Arike's reaction is "enjoy your trophy, I'll keep my Final Four MOP and National Championship ring." And in the second year, Jackie Young, Marina Mabrey and Brianna Turner all were named to only the second team All ACC team although they made it back to the NCAA Championship game. (Arike was 1st team both years)

Let's see. Ogunbowale, Mabrey, Young, Turner, Durr.

Four WNBA starters, one WNBA bust. Guess which one was the two time ACC POY?

BTW, Miller would definitely be a lottery pick if I was doing the picking. I can't, think of 4 better prospects. (Does anyone seriously think Maddy Siegrist, for example, is a better WNBA prospect than Diamond Miller?)

thardy929

PostPosted: 03/02/23 8:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:

I don't know that this is a very fair example given AD's battle with long COVID.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 03/02/23 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thardy929 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

I don't know that this is a very fair example given AD's battle with long COVID.

Thank you for pointing out the painfully obvious - that AD Durr's career was completely disrupted by contracting a very nasty case of long Covid. The fact that her illness has prevented her from continuing to be a great player takes nothing away from the great college career she had and the fact that she EARNED those ACC POY awards.

Ogunbowale has earned her time in the sun, but her WNBA team plays better when she's not on the floor.

Save the Notre Dame rah rahs for another thread.

Niele Ivey's body of work for the season was not greater than Kara Lawson's. I grock that ND winning the big game to end the season while Duke lost was the deciding factor, but the award is supposed to be for the entire season. Niele is doing a fine job of sustaining the success of Muffett. Meanwhile, Kara is resurrecting a program that had been completely destroyed. Both are doing damn fine jobs.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 03/02/23 10:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Ogunbowale has earned her time in the sun, but her WNBA team plays better when she's not on the floor.

They really don't

PostPosted: 03/02/23 10:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
thardy929 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Thank you for pointing out the painfully obvious - that AD Durr's career was completely disrupted by contracting a very nasty case of long Covid. The fact that her illness has prevented her from continuing to be a great player takes nothing away from the great college career she had and the fact that she EARNED those ACC POY awards.

Save the Notre Dame rah rahs for another thread.

Niele Ivey's body of work for the season was not greater than Kara Lawson's. I grock that ND winning the big game to end the season while Duke lost was the deciding factor, but the award is supposed to be for the entire season. Niele is doing a fine job of sustaining the success of Muffett. Meanwhile, Kara is resurrecting a program that had been completely destroyed. Both are doing damn fine jobs.

Well, you're wrong about the "body of work". To start, Duke didn't have to deal with injuries like ND. I expect most voters had made up their minds well before the final Sunday. But If you think the end of the season shouldn't matter, what happened the past ten years under different coaches REALLY doesn't matter to this year's COY award.

You're also wrong that Ivey is just "sustaining" McGraw's success while Lawson is "resurrecting" a "destroyed" program. The team Lawson took over had finished 18-12 and 3rd in the ACC the year before. The ND team Ivey inherited from Muffet was 13-18 and tied for 9th the year before, after the entire Final Four starting team left at once for the WNBA. The remaining McGraw players mostly transferred over the next two years (they're now at SJU, PSU, DePaul, UVA) and Ivey had to start over from scratch to build a new team. That's why this team is so young except for the few transfer portal additions. You choose to far undervalue the job Ivey has done to win the league this year.

Howee

PostPosted: 03/03/23 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All this comparative analysis is head-spinning. Laughing

FIRST TEAM:
Olivia Miles
Cameron Brink
Angel Reese
Aliyah Boston
Caitlin Clark

TEAM 2:
Nika Muhl
Aneesa Morrow
Haley Jones
Kamilla Cardoso
Taylor Mikesell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: