RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Coaches on the hot seat
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/07/23 1:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Michelle Clark-Heard is out at Cincinnati.

Interesting subplot in Cincinnati: UC and Xavier, schools about three miles apart, are both hiring coaches this offseason. Xavier is in the Big East and UC moves to the Big 12 this summer.

okstateguy

PostPosted: 03/08/23 11:13 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There hasn't been much reporting, but I do know many Baylor fans have been grumbling about Nikki Collen. If they have a poor showing in the Big 12 and NCAA tourneys, I could see her seat getting considerably warmer(although she likely gets another year or 2).

PostPosted: 03/08/23 2:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

imo, while Nicki Collen did seem like an out-of-left-field hire at the time, whomever followed in Kim Mulkey’s footsteps at Baylor was always gonna have a tough time with keeping the program at high level, because of course the large & passionate fanbase Mulkey grew won’t easily accept anything less than that. a little like Holly Warlick following Pat Summitt at Tennessee. probably gonna happen to whomever takes over for Geno Auriemma at UConn as well.

(now Tara VanDerveer when she retires from Stanford I’m less sure about, because their supporters just aren’t on the same passion level per se as the aforementioned imo – though Stanford fans can correct me if I’m off with that take. feels like it goes back to Stanford donors simply having more to care about than the school’s athletics.)

Baylor i think can still be a perennial Top-25 program under Collen, with consistent second-weekend [of the Big Dance] ceilings, but i think the likelihood they go on a Final Four run under Collen is damn-near microscopic, which is likely a sticking point for Baylor wbb supporters.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 03/08/23 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PickledGinger wrote:
ucbart wrote:
In addition, Amanda Butler at Clemson has to be on a seat that's at least like warm.

I came here to say this. Other at-least-warm seats include Joanna Bernabei McNamee and Kristy Curry. All 3 meet the criteria of a sub-.400 conference record in at least 5 seasons. I know that these are probably 3 of the harder schools to recruit to in the country, but Curry in particular has had 10 years and done jack shit with it; and I feel like her success at Purdue 20 YEARS AGO has bought her enough time. Including this year's 9-7 mark in the most mediocre SEC season in recent memory, she's only had 2 winning conference seasons in the last 17 years, and the first one was at Texas Tech in 2013. Sorry this is turning into a Kristy Curry rant but the more I think about it and look at her resume the more I am sure she deserves a hotter seat than I think she has.

JR Payne and Yolette McPhee McGuin also technically fit that criteria, but their recent relative success has probably bought them a few more years at least.

Elzy 's (just barely) still over the .400 mark in her 4th season, so I personally would be surprised if she's not safe for 1 more year. But it's gotta be a big turnaround or it's bye bye in 2024.

I disagree big time about Coach Yo. I think she’s building something at Ole Miss, but the SEC is highly competitive. The X factor at a lot of schools in red states is something nobody wants to mention but might need to be, and that’s the political climate in some of them, specifically Florida, Texas, and a couple of others. I have a feeling it might hurt recruiting in years to come.

PostPosted: 03/09/23 10:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Came back to say I'm a little worried about Elzy again after what has happened the past two days. They had six freshmen this year, and the one who had the most minutes transferred on Tuesday. Yesterday, Jada Walker, the team's second-leading scorer this year (12.9 PPG, 3.1 RPG, 3.1 APG, 2.6 steals/gm), also transferred. They're going to be starting next year in about the same spot as they did this year unless some more transfers come in. And the roster instability is an issue, too.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 03/10/23 2:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm thinking Charmin Smith's seat at Cal is getting warm. She went from 11th to 10th this year in the Pac-12, but as teams like the Washington's and the Mountain schools are getting better, I imagine there may be some grumbling as to the team's performance the last few years.

PG4ever

PostPosted: 03/13/23 11:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I've been a fan of Heather Oesterle since her days as a player at Michigan. As head coach at Central Michigan her last two years have been really rough. After Sue Guevara retired, Oesterle took over and went 22-5 her first year, 18-9 her second year and then things fell apart in years 3 and 4 (4-25, 6-23 respectively). She has one more year on her contract.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: