RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#4 Connecticut @ Marquette - 2/08/23
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 02/08/23 10:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Oh my gosh - I didnโ€™t think Marquette had the upset in them. Glad to be wrong ๐Ÿ˜€

You're always such a nice poster. You should relish this win! I'm really happy for Duffy, too!

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/08/23 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great win for Marquette, they played extremely well and earned it. Congratulations to both their players and coaches!

UConn is just a beaten up, bruised and tired team with no adequate available reserves. Geno needs to realize and accept that the game has changed and increase his recruitment of bigger, stronger and more physical players, to not only protect and defend his skilled finesse players but to do some intimidating, bruising and banging of his own.

It's like in football, you have to have the bigs up front to defend and to move the ball, score and be effective. Sometimes, it's necessary to knock a couple of opposing players into next Thursday. Staley realized this years ago.

I'm surprised that Caitlin Clark is still ambulating. She takes a tremendous physical beating every game, probably more than any other guard in college. It concerns me that players like Aziz, Caitlin and Paige will be able to become the great players of their day later in their careers with the overly physical play now permitted in college.

Last edited by RavenDog on 02/08/23 10:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/08/23 10:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Oh my gosh - I didnโ€™t think Marquette had the upset in them. Glad to be wrong ๐Ÿ˜€

isn't it the best feeling?

So happy for you and for the other Marquette fans out there, y'all deserve.

PostPosted: 02/08/23 10:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Joy

PostPosted: 02/08/23 10:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This UConn team may have been defensively solved for teams with the right kind of defenders: Pack the lane, face guard Senechal, get back on defense to cut off fast breaks, and accept UConn making some infrequent three's by Muhl, Griffin or Juhasz. Edwards doesn't shoot from the arc and no one on the active bench can score.
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/08/23 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
linkster wrote:
UConn stunk it up. I'm thankful it only counts as one loss. Got to credit Marquette for playing great defense for 40 minutes.

Good win for Duffy. Reminds a Little of a St Johns win that ended a long UConn home winning streak. That win helped the St Johns coach get a nice gig in the B1G.

I had the same thought... Marquette better be ready to ante up if they want to keep her.

When Kieger departed her alma mater, I accepted the fact that we'd likely never be able to keep a good coach at MU. Duffy was an extremely good hire. I've decided it's out of my control if she remains here or not - I'm going to try to enjoy the time she's here and hope they can make another good hire when a P5 program snatches her up.

Marquette's Volleyball program has had a lot of recent success and they did just manage to sign their coach to an extension but he's from the area - Duffy doesn't have any ties to this area.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/08/23 10:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

South Carolina's defense vs. UConn: gives up 77 points on 51.9% fg & 25 fta's, and forces 13 to's

Marquette's defense vs. UConn: gives up 52 points on 40.4% fg & 12 fta's, and forces 19 to's

๐Ÿง๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜‰

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/08/23 10:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Impressive notch in Marquette's belt. Were there only 6 Huskies available? Shocked

Marquette Fan wrote:
I am home screaming at the TV ๐Ÿ˜‚

Where are you watching this? I couldn't find it anywhere. All I've seen is a few highlight videos on ESPN....and those are all about UConn players' hot moves. You'd think they'd show at least ONE highlight for the winning team.

I could watch it on the Fox Sports App.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/08/23 10:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

You're always such a nice poster. You should relish this win! I'm really happy for Duffy, too!

Well gee - thanks Smile. I really love having Duffy as our coach - not sure how much longer she'll be here but I'll enjoy having her here for now.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 02/08/23 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Impressive notch in Marquette's belt. Were there only 6 Huskies available? Shocked

Marquette Fan wrote:
I am home screaming at the TV ๐Ÿ˜‚

Where are you watching this? I couldn't find it anywhere. All I've seen is a few highlight videos on ESPN....and those are all about UConn players' hot moves. You'd think they'd show at least ONE highlight for the winning team.

foxsports.com...they will probably re-telecast the game.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/08/23 11:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

isn't it the best feeling?

So happy for you and for the other Marquette fans out there, y'all deserve.

It really is except it would have been much cooler had I been able to be there in person but at least I could still watch it.

I've been following this program closely for over 30 years - Jim Jabir was the coach when I first started following them and they played at the aptly named Old Gym that had a capacity of about 1,000. I wasn't sure they could ever beat UCONN - this is awesome!

And thanks for the well wishes.

P.S. to Queenie if you see this - any word on if they are going to try to make up the Seton Hall-DePaul game where DePaul didn't have enough available scholarship players?

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/09/23 12:00 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There's been no formal announcement, but the game popped up on the Seton Hall and DePaul schedules on February 13th (which is a Monday and, uh... between getting whomped by Creighton and the events of this evening, Seton Hall's tournament chances are pretty much dead, so I will not be hauling out to New Jersey on a work night)

PostPosted: 02/09/23 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
There's been no formal announcement, but the game popped up on the Seton Hall and DePaul schedules on February 13th (which is a Monday and, uh... between getting whomped by Creighton and the events of this evening, Seton Hall's tournament chances are pretty much dead, so I will not be hauling out to New Jersey on a work night)

Yeah I hadn't heard any announcement and actually never thought go check each team's schedule. I was curious as Marquette is close to Seton Hall in the conference standings now. I see from looking at DePaul's schedule that these two teams will now play each other back to back - Feb 13th at Seton Hall and Feb 15th at DePaul - that's unusual but I realize that came about from the game originally being postponed.

ucbart

PostPosted: 02/09/23 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Queenie wrote:

Yeah I hadn't heard any announcement and actually never thought go check each team's schedule. I was curious as Marquette is close to Seton Hall in the conference standings now. I see from looking at DePaul's schedule that these two teams will now play each other back to back - Feb 13th at Seton Hall and Feb 15th at DePaul - that's unusual but I realize that came about from the game originally being postponed.

I came here specifically to congratulate you, MarquetteFan. I won't make excuses for last night, you guys played better and deserved to win. I love Duffy and I hope she stays.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/09/23 11:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Woo hoo, Marquette! Good job!

PostPosted: 02/09/23 5:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thereโ€™s a Minnesota connection for Duffy, and the Gophers sure could use a new head coach. ๐Ÿค”

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Queenie

PostPosted: 02/09/23 5:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:
Thereโ€™s a Minnesota connection for Duffy, and the Gophers sure could use a new head coach. ๐Ÿค”

DON'T YOU EVEN THINK ABOUT IT BUCKO

PostPosted: 02/09/23 6:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I guess the next question is "when was the last time the Hussies lost three in a row?"

PostPosted: 02/09/23 6:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
I guess the next question is "when was the last time the Hussies lost three in a row?"

JINX.๐ŸŽฒ๐ŸŽฒ๐ŸŽฒ๐Ÿƒ

PostPosted: 02/09/23 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
South Carolina's defense vs. UConn: gives up 77 points on 51.9% fg & 25 fta's, and forces 13 to's

Marquette's defense vs. UConn: gives up 52 points on 40.4% fg & 12 fta's, and forces 19 to's

๐Ÿง๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜‰

Interesting stat comparison. Confirms the eye test.

Duffy is likely a better technical coach than Staley on both offense and defense, but this is obscured because the talent differentials have been so great between Marq and SCarโ€”Staley being probably the best recruiter in D1 over the past several years.
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/09/23 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

๐Ÿง๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜‰

Interesting stat comparison. Confirms the eye test.

Duffy is likely a better technical coach than Staley on both offense and defense, but this is obscured because the talent differentials have been so great between Marq and SCarโ€”Staley being probably the best recruiter in D1 over the past several years.

It must be noted that Marquette got to face UConn after the game vs S.Carolina. UConn starters played a lot of minutes in both games and were clearly losing their legs vs Marquette. Not trying to take the shine off Marquette's victory, just trying to shake off the shade being thrown at South Carolina by grumpy UConn fans.

~rAf
Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/09/23 10:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Shades wrote:

I'd love for her to stay at MU for many years to come but just realistically don't see that happening.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/09/23 10:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
Queenie wrote:

I came here specifically to congratulate you, MarquetteFan. I won't make excuses for last night, you guys played better and deserved to win. I love Duffy and I hope she stays.

Thanks - the stars kind of aligned for MU last night and I'm happy for the team that they excecuted well enough to pull off the big upset. I thought here we go again with offensive struggles when they went down 6-0 but they did a good job bouncing back from that start. And then frosh Mackenzie Hare was way off last night - she's been hitting a ton of 3's lately but they didn't end up needing that from her. And I was afraid King having to sit with 4 fouls was going to really hurt them but they hung in there.

I love senior Chloe Marotta who is from the area and her Dad played at Marquette - she wears the same number he did and her brother wore the same number as a walk-on at MU. Unfortunately her Dad passed away suddenly at the age of 52 when Chloe was only 14 so he never got to see her or her brother play at Marquette Sad. I'd like to think he's looking down very proud of her now.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/10/23 2:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

๐Ÿง๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜‰

It must be noted that Marquette got to face UConn after the game vs S.Carolina. UConn starters played a lot of minutes in both games and were clearly losing their legs vs Marquette. Not trying to take the shine off Marquette's victory, just trying to shake off the shade being thrown at South Carolina by grumpy UConn fans.

not me once again getting accused of being a UConn homer Laughing also did you not see the wink emoji at the end there?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/10/23 1:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

๐Ÿง๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜‰

not me once again getting accused of being a UConn homer Laughing also did you not see the wink emoji at the end there?

It wasn't YOU I was quoting and referencing, Myrtle! It was the grumpy UConn fan who ran with your tongue in cheek post! Somehow using a 2nd UConn loss in a row to throw shade at the coach who's usurped Geno is mind boggling. When South Carolina wins another National Championship, I imagine them jumping all over HOW they did it (it's ONLY because Dawn gets the best talent cuz she flat out SUCKS as a coach). Now that Muffet, the Husky killer, is no longer coaching, all the sturm and drang is focused on Dawn Staley.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: