RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums
 
Log in Register FAQ Memberlist Search RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index

Cancellations
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
pilight



Joined: 23 Sep 2004
Posts: 65567
Location: Where the action is


Back to top
PostPosted: 11/10/22 7:09 pm    ::: Cancellations Reply Reply with quote

Mercer Games at UCF and Bethune-Cookman Canceled

https://mercerbears.com/news/2022/11/9/womens-basketball-games-at-ucf-and-bethune-cookman-canceled.aspx

Quote:
Tropical Storm Nicole caused dangerous travel conditions to Florida



_________________
Logic sometimes has very little to do with political action
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3373



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/05/22 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Morgan State at Marquette scheduled for this Wednesday night was canceled due to COVID health and safety protocols within the Morgan State Women's Basketball program - https://gomarquette.com/news/2022/12/5/womens-basketball-wbb-game-vs-morgan-state-canceled


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 14314



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/06/22 10:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Another one.

" The Lafayette vs. Notre Dame women's basketball game scheduled for Thursday at Kirby Sports Center has been postponed due to health and safety protocols within the Lafayette women's basketball program."

Official announcement on the Lafayette website.

They're trying to reschedule it for later in the year.


readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 6708
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/11/22 4:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://lsusports.net/news/2022/12/09/sundays-lsu-womens-basketball-game-vs-uno-cancelled/

And another one: LSU vs UNO game cancelled "health and safety protocols."



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 32003



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/17/22 8:32 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Vermont at Sacred Heart cancelled - could be weather or?

also
Cal Poly at Seattle


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 7702



Back to top
PostPosted: 12/20/22 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Iowa State canceled a men's basketball game Wednesday and women's basketball game Thursday because of the potential for severe weather.


https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35292077/iowa-st-cancels-two-hoops-games-due-severe-storm-forecast



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
mzonefan



Joined: 15 Oct 2005
Posts: 4641
Location: Ann Arbor, MI


Back to top
PostPosted: 12/20/22 10:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Northwestern vs Chicago State will be rescheduled due to the impending weather.


myrtle



Joined: 02 May 2008
Posts: 32003



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/05/23 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

la salle at davidson cancelled for covid


WNBA 09



Joined: 26 Jun 2009
Posts: 11953
Location: Dallas , Texas


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/06/23 9:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

UCONN vs DePaul postponed instead of a forfeit due to UCONN not having enough eligible players to play …prayers everyone gets healthy but I can’t help but think A&M was forced to play LSU last night with only 7 active players . Either Edwards injury is more serious or a lot of them are being forced to play through injury etc…Anyone know why it’s a postponement and not a forfeit seeing as though the opposing team was ready to play?



_________________
3-Time WNBA Champion-3-Time National Champion-4-Time Olympic Champion....And Yes DT "We Got Confeti" lol
Marquette Fan



Joined: 06 Mar 2005
Posts: 3373



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/06/23 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
UCONN vs DePaul postponed instead of a forfeit due to UCONN not having enough eligible players to play …prayers everyone gets healthy but I can’t help but think A&M was forced to play LSU last night with only 7 active players . Either Edwards injury is more serious or a lot of them are being forced to play through injury etc…Anyone know why it’s a postponement and not a forfeit seeing as though the opposing team was ready to play?


The Big East has a rule saying you have to have a minimum of 7 scholarship players available - https://www.bigeast.com/news/2023/1/6/big-east-announces-depaul-uconn-womens-basketball-game-is-postponed.aspx


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 7702



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 9:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
UCONN vs DePaul postponed instead of a forfeit due to UCONN not having enough eligible players to play …prayers everyone gets healthy but I can’t help but think A&M was forced to play LSU last night with only 7 active players . Either Edwards injury is more serious or a lot of them are being forced to play through injury etc…Anyone know why it’s a postponement and not a forfeit seeing as though the opposing team was ready to play?


The Big East has a rule saying you have to have a minimum of 7 scholarship players available - https://www.bigeast.com/news/2023/1/6/big-east-announces-depaul-uconn-womens-basketball-game-is-postponed.aspx


First, I'M NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS WHAT UCONN IS DOING. I'm only saying that this rule seems to invite some not-so-fair possiblilties.

I'm curious about that too. That release doesn't say why UConn is allowed to postpone instead of forfeit. I understand if it's due to concerns about COVID, but it seems like injuries would be a different category, IMO.

I found this link about the rule. Seems like it was put in because of COVID concerns.

https://www.vuhoops.com/2021/12/30/22860053/villanova-basketball-big-east-forfeit-postponed-canceled-games-rules

Let's say that you have ten scholarship players and your top three players are injured. Big game coming up. Pretty easy to have a fourth player come down with an illness, injury, suspension etc. You get to duck a game that you might lose. Before it can be rescheduled, two of your top three come back from the injury and now you play. Hardly seems fair.



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
singinerd54



Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 1512
Location: Missouri


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 11:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm a UConn fan, so you'll have to forgive my inevitable biases or call them out, but who does a forfeit serve? Put another way, why should forfeit be the default if postponement is an option? A forfeit shouldn't factor in to poll ranking or national tournament seeding, and it feels disingenuous to play into conference tournament seeding. The teams lose out on playing a game and the fans lose out on watching a game.

If this were the last game of the season or if there is no way to reschedule, I can understand forfeiting, but given it's early January, it seems makeup-able.

I think it's a similar enough scenario to ask: Should the Buffalo Bills be forced to forfeit their game against the Bengals?


readyAIMfire53



Joined: 20 Nov 2004
Posts: 6708
Location: Durham, NC


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 1:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
I'm a UConn fan, so you'll have to forgive my inevitable biases or call them out, but who does a forfeit serve? Put another way, why should forfeit be the default if postponement is an option? A forfeit shouldn't factor in to poll ranking or national tournament seeding, and it feels disingenuous to play into conference tournament seeding. The teams lose out on playing a game and the fans lose out on watching a game.

If this were the last game of the season or if there is no way to reschedule, I can understand forfeiting, but given it's early January, it seems makeup-able.

I think it's a similar enough scenario to ask: Should the Buffalo Bills be forced to forfeit their game against the Bengals?


Why should another team have to deal with everything that goes into scheduling and playing a postponed game because the other team can't keep enough players on the roster to sustain a bunch of injuries and illnesses?

Also interesting that the rule states 7 SCHOLARSHIP players must be available. Why wouldn't walk on players be able to suit up and play the game? Duke currently has THREE walk on players so the team can continue full court work even when the team inevitably has multiple players missing practice due to injury or lllness. Until this year, UConn has been incredibly lucky in not having injuries derail a championship run (hello injury free fourpeat).



_________________
Follow your passion and your life will be true down to your core.

~rAf
singinerd54



Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 1512
Location: Missouri


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 2:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Why should another team have to deal with everything that goes into scheduling and playing a postponed game because the other team can't keep enough players on the roster to sustain a bunch of injuries and illnesses?

Also interesting that the rule states 7 SCHOLARSHIP players must be available. Why wouldn't walk on players be able to suit up and play the game? Duke currently has THREE walk on players so the team can continue full court work even when the team inevitably has multiple players missing practice due to injury or lllness. Until this year, UConn has been incredibly lucky in not having injuries derail a championship run (hello injury free fourpeat).

Sure, it's a pain to reschedule, but what does or should DePaul gain from a forfeit (other than not having a potential loss added to their resume)? It's not like they beat UConn.

I agree that it's weird the Big East requires scholarship players and would think walk-ons should count in the total.


ArtBest23



Joined: 02 Jul 2013
Posts: 14314



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

In the past couple of years most conferences amended their forfeit rules to permit rescheduling or "no contest" when games were cancelled for covid reasons, but my understanding is that these only applied to covid cancelations and otherwise the forfeit rule for insufficient players remained in effect.

I don't really care what rule they adopt as long as it's applied consistently and uniformly, but I'm surprised if the BE rules don't call this a forfeit.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 5116



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
UCONN vs DePaul postponed instead of a forfeit due to UCONN not having enough eligible players to play …prayers everyone gets healthy but I can’t help but think A&M was forced to play LSU last night with only 7 active players . Either Edwards injury is more serious or a lot of them are being forced to play through injury etc…Anyone know why it’s a postponement and not a forfeit seeing as though the opposing team was ready to play?


The Big East has a rule saying you have to have a minimum of 7 scholarship players available - https://www.bigeast.com/news/2023/1/6/big-east-announces-depaul-uconn-womens-basketball-game-is-postponed.aspx


First, I'M NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS WHAT UCONN IS DOING. I'm only saying that this rule seems to invite some not-so-fair possiblilties.

I'm curious about that too. That release doesn't say why UConn is allowed to postpone instead of forfeit. I understand if it's due to concerns about COVID, but it seems like injuries would be a different category, IMO.

I found this link about the rule. Seems like it was put in because of COVID concerns.

https://www.vuhoops.com/2021/12/30/22860053/villanova-basketball-big-east-forfeit-postponed-canceled-games-rules

Let's say that you have ten scholarship players and your top three players are injured. Big game coming up. Pretty easy to have a fourth player come down with an illness, injury, suspension etc. You get to duck a game that you might lose. Before it can be rescheduled, two of your top three come back from the injury and now you play. Hardly seems fair.


Is it that easy? You have to lie and get at least one other player to lie with you. Then you have to get a Dr and the training staff to also lie. At UConn the medical and training staff have control over clearing a player to play so it is more than a lie or two, it would have to be a program-wide conspiracy.

UConn has been dressing 7 players for a few games this year and several last year. Why start cheating now?

But it's UConn, right?


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 7702



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 7:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
I'm a UConn fan, so you'll have to forgive my inevitable biases or call them out, but who does a forfeit serve? Put another way, why should forfeit be the default if postponement is an option? A forfeit shouldn't factor in to poll ranking or national tournament seeding, and it feels disingenuous to play into conference tournament seeding. The teams lose out on playing a game and the fans lose out on watching a game.

If this were the last game of the season or if there is no way to reschedule, I can understand forfeiting, but given it's early January, it seems makeup-able.

I think it's a similar enough scenario to ask: Should the Buffalo Bills be forced to forfeit their game against the Bengals?


So we have different rules early/mid-season, and different rules late in the season??

That's like not making calls late in the game that the refs had been calling since the tip off.

If Team A can't dress enough players in January against Team B and the game is rescheduled, what happens when Team A in late March again can't dress enough players against Team C & D and those games cannot be rescheduled? Is this the can of worms that the BE wants to open?

Team A knows the rules. Put enough players on your roster that are on scholarship to get through some injuries/illnesses. Or take your forfeit/no contest and learn from it for next year.

And knowing the rules, I'm thinking* that Team A, knowing that they had one player out for the year, and a couple of others that are injured, could probably have given a walk on a scholarship to meet the requirement?

*I don't know enough about scholarship rules to know if they can be given mid-season or not, but if not, did Miles, and is Prosper, paying their own way?



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez


Last edited by Ex-Ref on 01/07/23 7:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 7702



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 7:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Why should another team have to deal with everything that goes into scheduling and playing a postponed game because the other team can't keep enough players on the roster to sustain a bunch of injuries and illnesses?

Also interesting that the rule states 7 SCHOLARSHIP players must be available. Why wouldn't walk on players be able to suit up and play the game? Duke currently has THREE walk on players so the team can continue full court work even when the team inevitably has multiple players missing practice due to injury or lllness. Until this year, UConn has been incredibly lucky in not having injuries derail a championship run (hello injury free fourpeat).

Sure, it's a pain to reschedule, but what does or should DePaul gain from a forfeit (other than not having a potential loss added to their resume)? It's not like they beat UConn.

I agree that it's weird the Big East requires scholarship players and would think walk-ons should count in the total.


That was addressed in the article I linked.

Quote:
The biggest key here is that the conference specified that a team needs seven scholarship players, not just seven players. That means no one’s going to get stuck playing 5 walk-ons in a meaningful game.



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 7702



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 7:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
UCONN vs DePaul postponed instead of a forfeit due to UCONN not having enough eligible players to play …prayers everyone gets healthy but I can’t help but think A&M was forced to play LSU last night with only 7 active players . Either Edwards injury is more serious or a lot of them are being forced to play through injury etc…Anyone know why it’s a postponement and not a forfeit seeing as though the opposing team was ready to play?


The Big East has a rule saying you have to have a minimum of 7 scholarship players available - https://www.bigeast.com/news/2023/1/6/big-east-announces-depaul-uconn-womens-basketball-game-is-postponed.aspx


First, I'M NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS WHAT UCONN IS DOING. I'm only saying that this rule seems to invite some not-so-fair possiblilties.

I'm curious about that too. That release doesn't say why UConn is allowed to postpone instead of forfeit. I understand if it's due to concerns about COVID, but it seems like injuries would be a different category, IMO.

I found this link about the rule. Seems like it was put in because of COVID concerns.

https://www.vuhoops.com/2021/12/30/22860053/villanova-basketball-big-east-forfeit-postponed-canceled-games-rules

Let's say that you have ten scholarship players and your top three players are injured. Big game coming up. Pretty easy to have a fourth player come down with an illness, injury, suspension etc. You get to duck a game that you might lose. Before it can be rescheduled, two of your top three come back from the injury and now you play. Hardly seems fair.


Is it that easy? You have to lie and get at least one other player to lie with you. Then you have to get a Dr and the training staff to also lie. At UConn the medical and training staff have control over clearing a player to play so it is more than a lie or two, it would have to be a program-wide conspiracy.

UConn has been dressing 7 players for a few games this year and several last year. Why start cheating now?

But it's UConn, right?


Did you NOT read the first sentence of my post??? 🙄🙄

I would think at this point in the season, that just about everyone has something that hurts. Wouldn't take much to 'embellish' it a little.



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 5116



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 7:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
I'm a UConn fan, so you'll have to forgive my inevitable biases or call them out, but who does a forfeit serve? Put another way, why should forfeit be the default if postponement is an option? A forfeit shouldn't factor in to poll ranking or national tournament seeding, and it feels disingenuous to play into conference tournament seeding. The teams lose out on playing a game and the fans lose out on watching a game.

If this were the last game of the season or if there is no way to reschedule, I can understand forfeiting, but given it's early January, it seems makeup-able.

I think it's a similar enough scenario to ask: Should the Buffalo Bills be forced to forfeit their game against the Bengals?


So we have different rules early/mid-season, and different rules late in the season??

That's like not making calls late in the game that the refs had been calling since the tip off.

If Team A can't dress enough players in January against Team B and the game is rescheduled, what happens when Team A in late March again can't dress enough players against Team C & D and those games cannot be rescheduled? Is this the can of worms that the BE wants to open?

Team A knows the rules. Put enough players on your roster that are on scholarship to get through some injuries/illnesses. Or take your forfeit/no contest and learn from it for next year.


Let's say that DePaul gets a win by forfeit and then wins the BE reg season when a loss to UConn would have handed the title to say, St Johns. Is that fair to the Johnnies?

But as I said, a different rule may have hurt UConn so everyone who never had a problem with postponements suddenly gets interested.

As R Jackson once said of himself, UConn is the straw that stirs the drink.

Wink


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 5116



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
linkster wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
UCONN vs DePaul postponed instead of a forfeit due to UCONN not having enough eligible players to play …prayers everyone gets healthy but I can’t help but think A&M was forced to play LSU last night with only 7 active players . Either Edwards injury is more serious or a lot of them are being forced to play through injury etc…Anyone know why it’s a postponement and not a forfeit seeing as though the opposing team was ready to play?


The Big East has a rule saying you have to have a minimum of 7 scholarship players available - https://www.bigeast.com/news/2023/1/6/big-east-announces-depaul-uconn-womens-basketball-game-is-postponed.aspx


First, I'M NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS WHAT UCONN IS DOING. I'm only saying that this rule seems to invite some not-so-fair possiblilties.

I'm curious about that too. That release doesn't say why UConn is allowed to postpone instead of forfeit. I understand if it's due to concerns about COVID, but it seems like injuries would be a different category, IMO.

I found this link about the rule. Seems like it was put in because of COVID concerns.

https://www.vuhoops.com/2021/12/30/22860053/villanova-basketball-big-east-forfeit-postponed-canceled-games-rules

Let's say that you have ten scholarship players and your top three players are injured. Big game coming up. Pretty easy to have a fourth player come down with an illness, injury, suspension etc. You get to duck a game that you might lose. Before it can be rescheduled, two of your top three come back from the injury and now you play. Hardly seems fair.


Is it that easy? You have to lie and get at least one other player to lie with you. Then you have to get a Dr and the training staff to also lie. At UConn the medical and training staff have control over clearing a player to play so it is more than a lie or two, it would have to be a program-wide conspiracy.

UConn has been dressing 7 players for a few games this year and several last year. Why start cheating now?

But it's UConn, right?


Did you NOT read the first sentence of my post??? 🙄🙄

I would think at this point in the season, that just about everyone has something that hurts. Wouldn't take much to 'embellish' it a little.


Yeah, I read it. So as long as I say now that I'm not calling you a liar I can then go on for a few paragraphs to speculate that maybe you are lying without fear of being accused of anything?

Come on, there have been postponements this year and in the past. Not a peep. What's to stop a coach from reporting a false positive COVID test to avoid a possible loss? Why would Geno take 7 players to MD and then feel the need to lie and cheat to avoid a game vs DePaul?

Besides, isn't this intercollegiate athletics where the idea is competition in the spirit of sportsmanship? You are supposed to play the games if possible.


linkster



Joined: 27 Jul 2012
Posts: 5116



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 7:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
linkster wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
UCONN vs DePaul postponed instead of a forfeit due to UCONN not having enough eligible players to play …prayers everyone gets healthy but I can’t help but think A&M was forced to play LSU last night with only 7 active players . Either Edwards injury is more serious or a lot of them are being forced to play through injury etc…Anyone know why it’s a postponement and not a forfeit seeing as though the opposing team was ready to play?


The Big East has a rule saying you have to have a minimum of 7 scholarship players available - https://www.bigeast.com/news/2023/1/6/big-east-announces-depaul-uconn-womens-basketball-game-is-postponed.aspx


First, I'M NOT SAYING THAT THIS IS WHAT UCONN IS DOING. I'm only saying that this rule seems to invite some not-so-fair possiblilties.

I'm curious about that too. That release doesn't say why UConn is allowed to postpone instead of forfeit. I understand if it's due to concerns about COVID, but it seems like injuries would be a different category, IMO.

I found this link about the rule. Seems like it was put in because of COVID concerns.

https://www.vuhoops.com/2021/12/30/22860053/villanova-basketball-big-east-forfeit-postponed-canceled-games-rules

Let's say that you have ten scholarship players and your top three players are injured. Big game coming up. Pretty easy to have a fourth player come down with an illness, injury, suspension etc. You get to duck a game that you might lose. Before it can be rescheduled, two of your top three come back from the injury and now you play. Hardly seems fair.


Is it that easy? You have to lie and get at least one other player to lie with you. Then you have to get a Dr and the training staff to also lie. At UConn the medical and training staff have control over clearing a player to play so it is more than a lie or two, it would have to be a program-wide conspiracy.

UConn has been dressing 7 players for a few games this year and several last year. Why start cheating now?

But it's UConn, right?


Did you NOT read the first sentence of my post??? 🙄🙄

I would think at this point in the season, that just about everyone has something that hurts. Wouldn't take much to 'embellish' it a little.


Yeah, I read it. So as long as I say now that I'm not calling you a liar I can then go on for a few paragraphs to speculate that maybe you are lying without fear of being accused of anything?

Come on, there have been postponements this year and in the past. Not a peep. What's to stop a coach from reporting a false positive COVID test to avoid a possible loss? Why would Geno take 7 players to MD and then feel the need to lie and cheat to avoid a game vs DePaul?

Besides, isn't this intercollegiate athletics where the idea is competition in the spirit of sportsmanship? You are supposed to play the games if possible.


singinerd54



Joined: 18 Feb 2009
Posts: 1512
Location: Missouri


Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 8:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
I'm a UConn fan, so you'll have to forgive my inevitable biases or call them out, but who does a forfeit serve? Put another way, why should forfeit be the default if postponement is an option? A forfeit shouldn't factor in to poll ranking or national tournament seeding, and it feels disingenuous to play into conference tournament seeding. The teams lose out on playing a game and the fans lose out on watching a game.

If this were the last game of the season or if there is no way to reschedule, I can understand forfeiting, but given it's early January, it seems makeup-able.

I think it's a similar enough scenario to ask: Should the Buffalo Bills be forced to forfeit their game against the Bengals?


So we have different rules early/mid-season, and different rules late in the season?? That's like not making calls late in the game that the refs had been calling since the tip off. If Team A can't dress enough players in January against Team B and the game is rescheduled, what happens when Team A in late March again can't dress enough players against Team C & D and those games cannot be rescheduled? Is this the can of worms that the BE wants to open?

You could frame it that way if you like, I guess, but I see it more like this: if the game can be made up, it should. If it can't, then it should be canceled or forfeited (and in my eyes, those should more or less mean the same thing).

This would appear to be consistent with what the Big East did last year due to covid; some of UConn's games were rescheduled and some were canceled (Art's point about insufficient players versus covid would be relevant here, but I don't know what those differences [or lack thereof] in protocol are). Again, I think the example of the Bills-Bengals is instructive; had that game happened in Week 4 rather than Week 17, for example, the NFL would have had more opportunity to reschedule than cancel.

Ex-Ref wrote:
Team A knows the rules. Put enough players on your roster that are on scholarship to get through some injuries/illnesses. Or take your forfeit/no contest and learn from it for next year. And knowing the rules, I'm thinking* that Team A, knowing that they had one player out for the year, and a couple of others that are injured, could probably have given a walk on a scholarship to meet the requirement?

Blaming UConn is an interesting take. If you told Geno that half his roster would be unavailable at the same time at some point this season, I don't think signing a walk-on would have been his first concern. Like I think DePaul doesn't/shouldn't gain anything from a cancelation or forfeited win, I don't think UConn is/should be hurt by a cancelation or forfeited loss.


Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 7702



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

COVID is NOT the same thing as an injury. Mainly, although it may seem like it sometimes, injuries are not contagious, nor are they typically potentially deadly.

Postponing for COVID was in the best interest of EVERYONE involved.

I actually like "no contest" over forfeit.



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Ex-Ref



Joined: 04 Oct 2009
Posts: 7702



Back to top
PostPosted: 01/07/23 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
I'm a UConn fan, so you'll have to forgive my inevitable biases or call them out, but who does a forfeit serve? Put another way, why should forfeit be the default if postponement is an option? A forfeit shouldn't factor in to poll ranking or national tournament seeding, and it feels disingenuous to play into conference tournament seeding. The teams lose out on playing a game and the fans lose out on watching a game.

If this were the last game of the season or if there is no way to reschedule, I can understand forfeiting, but given it's early January, it seems makeup-able.

I think it's a similar enough scenario to ask: Should the Buffalo Bills be forced to forfeit their game against the Bengals?


So we have different rules early/mid-season, and different rules late in the season??

That's like not making calls late in the game that the refs had been calling since the tip off.

If Team A can't dress enough players in January against Team B and the game is rescheduled, what happens when Team A in late March again can't dress enough players against Team C & D and those games cannot be rescheduled? Is this the can of worms that the BE wants to open?

Team A knows the rules. Put enough players on your roster that are on scholarship to get through some injuries/illnesses. Or take your forfeit/no contest and learn from it for next year.


Let's say that DePaul gets a win by forfeit and then wins the BE reg season when a loss to UConn would have handed the title to say, St Johns. Is that fair to the Johnnies?

But as I said, a different rule may have hurt UConn so everyone who never had a problem with postponements suddenly gets interested.

As R Jackson once said of himself, UConn is the straw that stirs the drink.

Wink


OK, here's what we do - WNCAA Bball teams are allowed, what, 15 players to be on scholarship? Force every team to carry 15 scholarship players and then we probably won't be discussing this.

If one team has more than half of the team go down with injuries, they don't deserve to play. That is a crazy number of injuries and if you're having that many, you need to take a couple of days off and figure out what the hell is going on and maybe search for some new trainers and methods.

UConn fans will read whatever they want to in this. Enjoy yourselves. I have better things to do.



_________________
"Our democracy is designed to speak truth to power." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez

"If this guy can be Senator, you can do anything." — Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2.0.17 © 2001- 2004 phpBB Group
phpBB Template by Vjacheslav Trushkin