RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

#4 Notre Dame @ # 22 North Carolina- 1-08-23 4pm ET
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
singinerd54

PostPosted: 01/08/23 5:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Would not have guessed Paulina Paris would be the best player on the floor (thus far). Notre Dame has not handled the zone well.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/08/23 5:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
So recognizing that for the next nearly three months, until the second round of the NCAA tourney, UConn will not be part of a single game worth watching

Confused You don't think UConn-South Carolina or UConn-Tennessee is worth watching?

Probably not.

And why is that?

If I wasn't an ND fan, I wouldn't consider this horribly played game worth watching. As a UConn fan I'm sure you consider those two worth watching, but do you think either is going to display good basketball? I don't.

Frankly Art, I enjoy watching putitive one seeds play like dung, so long as they aren't UConn. Laughing

I'm not surprised. You've made it clear good basketball is of no interest to you.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/08/23 5:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Was I the only one who saw the obvious moving screen that wasn't called on ND. Right at the top of the key. Rolling Eyes

singinerd54

PostPosted: 01/08/23 5:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Kelly misses the wide open layup Confused

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/08/23 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Mabrey is 1-10 from the arc. Why the hell is she still in the game chucking up air balls from the arc?

Last edited by ArtBest23 on 01/08/23 5:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
linkster

PostPosted: 01/08/23 5:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
So recognizing that for the next nearly three months, until the second round of the NCAA tourney, UConn will not be part of a single game worth watching

Confused You don't think UConn-South Carolina or UConn-Tennessee is worth watching?

Probably not.

And why is that?

If I wasn't an ND fan, I wouldn't consider this horribly played game worth watching. As a UConn fan I'm sure you consider those two worth watching, but do you think either is going to display good basketball? I don't.

Frankly Art, I enjoy watching putitive one seeds play like dung, so long as they aren't UConn. Laughing

I'm not surprised. You've made it clear good basketball is of no interest to you.

HaHa. Good one Art. I guess that's why I became a UConn fan, right?

Queenie

PostPosted: 01/08/23 5:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

somebody's mad on the internet

PostPosted: 01/08/23 5:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Probably not.

And why is that?

You jumped on the band wagon when it was the dominant team. It doesn't say anything about you having any appreciation of basketball.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/08/23 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well, another Creme wannabe one seed craps the bed on national TV to a five loss team.

Notre Dame shoots 28% from the floor has 19 to's and 21 fouls, although a lot of the fouls were strategic late game fouls.

Miles is a great pg but without more scoring around her she's just Nika Muhl without the defensive energy.

Last edited by linkster on 01/08/23 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/08/23 5:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The loss doesn't particularly bother me. Everyone is getting losses. Disappointing but won't have any real impact down the road.

What bothers me is how badly ND played and how stubborn Ivey is in some of her coaching and personnel decisions.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/08/23 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Odd stat

UNC was 11-14 from the line and all 11 came in the 4th period. Not one foul in the act for 3 periods? That could be either that Notre Dame plays a highly disciplined defense or it just could be that NDame doesn't play much defense at all.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/08/23 6:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Well, another Creme wannabe one seed craps the bed on national TV to a five loss team.

Notre Dame shoots 21% from the floor has 19 to's and 21 fouls, although a lot of the fouls were strategic late game fouls.

Miles is a great pg but without more scoring around her she's just Nika Muhl without the defensive energy.

But they were good enough to beat down UConn.

But as I said elsewhere, UConn now just sits back, plays cupcakes or doesn't even bother play at all, and will climb up the polls and seeding based on accomplishing nothing while teams in real conferences like ND and Indiana play real opponents and pick up a loss or two. Watch UConn this week move ahead of the team that beat them based on nothing more than beating NET 197 Xavier and not even playing their other game.

When you play in a real conference it's tough to win every game, especially on the road. I guarantee that if ND had played Xavier today they wouldn't have lost no matter how badly they played.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/08/23 6:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Before the game on ND Nation I posted a listing of ND's national rankings in all the team stats.

The ones where ND wasn't ranked in the top 100?

Three point percentage defense (#103)
Turnovers per game (#159)
Steals per game (#166)
Turnover margin (#215)
Turnovers forced per game (#245)
Three pointers per game (#266)
Three Point attempts per game (#336)

ND didn't hit their usual percentage from behind the arc (They're actually in the top 25 in that), so "improving" the 3 point attempts didn't help.

ND actually had about the same number of turnovers in the game as UNC opponents average against them.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/08/23 6:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
NDame has gone only 7 deep on their roster.

How will the bench players develop for the tough games down the road? Rolling Eyes

ND actually played 8 players in the game. Considering that they only have 10 scholarship players, I'd say they're playing pretty deep into their bench considering their situation.

Not sure why Marshall didn't play. Brown hasn't quite come back to her regular playing level yet.

Considering how the lowest minute average per game for the ND scholarship players on the team is 9.8 mpg, I'm not really sweating it.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/08/23 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:
Odd stat

UNC was 11-14 from the line and all 11 came in the 4th period. Not one foul in the act for 3 periods? That could be either that Notre Dame plays a highly disciplined defense or it just could be that NDame doesn't play much defense at all.

Or the type of offense that UNC was running.

ND had 4 fouls in the 1st quarter and 4 in the 2nd quarter. In fact, both teams had the same number of fouls in each of the 1st two quarters.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/08/23 6:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:
singinerd54 wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

Probably not.

And why is that?

You jumped on the band wagon when it was the dominant team. It doesn't say anything about you having any appreciation of basketball.

I graduated from UConn. There wasn't any womans team then. I became a fan back in '93 so in a way you are right. I jumped on the wagon 30 years ago and I've been on the UConn bandwagon ever since. Been a great ride so far.

And why did you have to drag UConn into a NDame game thread?

Last edited by linkster on 01/08/23 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/08/23 6:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That was an ugly game. Hey, the last time a top 5 ND team lost at UNC, ND ended up missing out on a National Championship by 2 points... Wink

(Yes, I know that ND also lost at UNC in 2020, but that was crap year for ND)

It's January. Just have to work on the stuff (mostly turnovers) and get better.

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 01/08/23 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
linkster wrote:
NDame has gone only 7 deep on their roster.

How will the bench players develop for the tough games down the road? Rolling Eyes

ND actually played 8 players in the game. Considering that they only have 10 scholarship players, I'd say they're playing pretty deep into their bench considering their situation.

They even played a freshman early enrolee who just left HS and joined the team 3 weeks ago. That seems to be pretty deep into the bench.

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/08/23 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

Yeah, a team that has 5 players averaging double digit scoring doesn't have much scoring around the PG.

It was an off shooting night for ND. Unfortunately, these things happen from time to time, which is why you need to make sure to work on your defense.

linkster

PostPosted: 01/08/23 6:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

CBiebel wrote:
linkster wrote:

Yeah, a team that has 5 players averaging double digit scoring doesn't have much scoring around the PG.

It was an off shooting night for ND. Unfortunately, these things happen from time to time, which is why you need to make sure to work on your defense.

Over the years it's been UConn's superior defense that was the difference between the teams.
I didn't even see that UNC was on a 4 game losing streak and yet Massey had this game 70-69 NDame. So maybe it wasn't as much of an upset as the AP would have us believe.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/08/23 7:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
Mabrey is 1-10 from the arc. Why the hell is she still in the game chucking up air balls from the arc?

I must say I have never seen any player in high school, college or pros, men's or women's basketball miss so many air balls in a game and especially by the margin she missed them....Three feet!

RavenDog

PostPosted: 01/08/23 8:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
linkster wrote:

Notre Dame shoots 21% from the floor has 19 to's and 21 fouls, although a lot of the fouls were strategic late game fouls.

But they were good enough to beat down UConn.

But as I said elsewhere, UConn now just sits back, plays cupcakes or doesn't even bother play at all, and will climb up the polls and seeding based on accomplishing nothing while teams in real conferences like ND and Indiana play real opponents and pick up a loss or two. Watch UConn this week move ahead of the team that beat them based on nothing more than beating NET 197 Xavier and not even playing their other game.

When you play in a real conference it's tough to win every game, especially on the road. I guarantee that if ND had played Xavier today they wouldn't have lost no matter how badly they played.

Do we have a sore loser here? How sour were those grapes Art?

singinerd54

PostPosted: 01/08/23 8:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:

Fermented! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

CBiebel

PostPosted: 01/08/23 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

linkster wrote:

I didn't even see that UNC was on a 4 game losing streak and yet Massey had this game 70-69 NDame. So maybe it wasn't as much of an upset as the AP would have us believe.

Because the ACC teams have been knocking each other off. Just a few weeks ago, there were 4 ACC teams in a row in the AP top 10, so the basic thought is the conference games are an "on any given night" type of situation, especially for home games of the underdog. The four losses by UNC were all single digit losses, two on the road (#9 Va Tech and Miami, who just beat #9 Va Tech, one at a neutral site (Michigan). The other team was FSU who is just outside the top 25.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 01/08/23 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

Fermented! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

ALERT! UConn fans leaking out the ugly across many threads. Especially when Notre Dame loses a game, it starts pouring out like vomit. Yes, we know you get your jollies watching your team eat cupcakes through the conference season but were deprived of your empty calories when your team didn't have enough players to field a team today. Must you vomit all over every thread?

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - Game Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: