RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Las Vegas Tournament “sub par”

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mzonefan

PostPosted: 11/27/22 11:14 pm    ::: Las Vegas Tournament “sub par” Reply Reply with quote

I’m glad Teri Moren spoke up about this, as I watched a bit on Flo and thought why are they playing in that? Bad lighting, low ceiling, a few spectators in loose chairs around the court. Pitiful!

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35119277/vegas-women-hoops-tourney-setup-criticized

BamaEd

PostPosted: 11/28/22 11:18 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I saw this last night and was just coming here to see if anyone had posted about it. WOWOWOW! So many wrong things happened here. I'm not sure how tournament director Bryce McKey allowed this and also allowed the site coordinator to have to answer for all of it. Shameful on every level.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/28/22 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bryce McKey also appears to be a sex abuser

https://twitter.com/Under_Rated_Pod/status/1596829214900367361

The thread says this:

"Remember the shameful Las Vegas Invitational tournament a few days back? I did some research on the organizer. And it gets even worse. ...

"[Bryce] McKey currently coaches an AAU basketball team in Ohio, per Jeff Goodman. McKey has been a prominent name in women's basketball for a while, especially in Ohio, where he was previously an assistant coach with Xavier. He then moved on to Maryland. His stint at Maryland was short-lived, as he resigned after he was accused of sexually abusing a player he coached at Xavier. Later a second player he coached made similar accusations.

"In the bench trial, the second player was not allowed to testify, and the judge claimed that while the player objected to being touched by McKey, she didn't object enough. Didn't object enough... McKey was found not guilty.

"Bad playing conditions aside, why would universities, responsible for the well-being of student-athletes, schedule tournaments through an organizer with a history that calls into question the safety of collegiate women athletes? Do ADs research these people and events at all?

"Indiana coach Teri Moren spoke of the importance of growing the game, and that the tournament pushed it a few steps back. I'm sure that Moren and other coaches were never informed that the tournament organizer had been credibly accused of abusing players just like their own."

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/28/22 4:10 pm    ::: Re: Las Vegas Tournament “sub par” Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
I’m glad Teri Moren spoke up about this, as I watched a bit on Flo and thought why are they playing in that? Bad lighting, low ceiling, a few spectators in loose chairs around the court. Pitiful!

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35119277/vegas-women-hoops-tourney-setup-criticized

Agree the pix I saw looked horrible.
Once they agreed to play, I wonder what their obligations were. Could they have simply walked off and refused to play under such conditions.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/28/22 6:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Bryce McKey also appears to be a sex abuser

Why would you perpetuate such a false and defamatory statement sourced from Twitter?

McKey was accused of third degree (i.e., very minor) touching and providing alcohol to an adult woman under age 21. Both charges were misdemeanors. He was found NOT GUILTY of both charges in a one hour bench trial in front of a female judge. This swift judicial outcome is indicative of frivolous accusations.

Read something a little more substantive than Twitter and, by the way, don't risk being sued yourself for libel:

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/04/11/judge-former-xavier-coach-not-guilty-sex-abuse/82894894/

So, a bunch of schools are supposed to not sign up for a tournament because some paper-pushing administrator has been judicially declared NOT TO BE a sex abuser and whose coaching career has already been destroyed by legally rejected allegations.

Yeah, that's how institutions should be run in our society. RebKell, for example, should ban and cancel the career of anyone who has ever touched someone else's butt or offered them a drink, and especially anyone who has been judicially adjudicated not guilty of such acts.
BamaEd

PostPosted: 11/28/22 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just read the article from The Enquirer and I still get an uneasy feeling about the guy.

Two lines seemingly contradict each other:
"The player had known McKey since middle school when he recruited her to an Ohio high school. McKey also recruited her to Xavier University."

"The judge also found there was no evidence McKey knew the woman was under 21 years old."

He recruited her but didn't know her age? But at the very least, he is guilty of bad judgment. He was her coach and he hit on her. I know he was leaving for another job, but that power dynamic was still there.

But focusing just on this tournament, I think it's shameful that he organized it, let it be a dang shame, and wasn't even there to answer questions about it.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 11/28/22 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Having an uneasy feeling about someone, or thinking they exercised bad judgment in their job, or believing they administered a tournament poorly are all far cries from publicly writing that that person "appears to be a sex abuser." Such an insulting written assertion is a legal judgment that may subject the writer to a legal charge of libel per se in some states, especially when the actual legal appearance (a judicial declaration of not guilty) is exactly the opposite.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 12/05/22 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Three teams pull out of LV holiday tourney.

Quote:
"The five teams that are going to be at the South Point were five teams we already had," Seymour said. "To be honest, our other five are happy they [the three that withdrew] aren't there anymore because they like it as a non-Power 5 event. We took those three to help. It's OK. It's really actually better for us because they're not there this year for that particular event."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35191139/las-vegas-women-tournament-loses-dayton-purdue-texas-am

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 12/05/22 9:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Three teams pull out of LV holiday tourney.

Quote:
"The five teams that are going to be at the South Point were five teams we already had," Seymour said. "To be honest, our other five are happy they [the three that withdrew] aren't there anymore because they like it as a non-Power 5 event. We took those three to help. It's OK. It's really actually better for us because they're not there this year for that particular event."

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35191139/las-vegas-women-tournament-loses-dayton-purdue-texas-am

Purdue and Texas A&M will instead play each other in College State in Dec. 19.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: