RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Purdue v. IU
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/05/06 4:46 pm    ::: Purdue v. IU Reply Reply with quote

Boilers play the Hoosiers tonight in Bloomington. This game makes me a little nervous. On paper, Purdue should win without tons of trouble. But, IU has had a way of making Purdue play pretty ugly in B'ton the last few season. While I don't consider IU a big rival for Purdue in WCBB -- that is much more Penn State and Notre Dame -- IU pretty much considers Purdue coming to town to be their NC game.

Cindi Valentine and Jenny Demuth are as good of a duo in the league, outside of of Michigan State. Purdue is coming off the biggest win in two seasons, and the team has been inconsistent this year. IU is better than they have been in years. Sharon Versyp would love to beat her own team.

I expect a 10-15 point win, but I am not totally confident. I wouldn't be shocked for us to leave B'ton with a loss either.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 01/05/06 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Hoosiers are on a bit of a roll -- defensively. If Purdue breaks 65, expect a win. If they can't hit 60, IU played their game and has a good chance of taking Purdue (or most anyone for that matter) down.

Keys of the game:

-- Rebounding. IU is weak in the post, and while Purdue isn't a world-beater down low, they certainly have more talent down low. Angela Hawkins will go to work, and play strong defense. If she can pick up some points in the paint, IU will be in great shape.

-- IU's Offense. Cyndi Valentin has to get herself to the line. It is IU's most efficient way to score. She just doesn't miss. She just has to stay aggressive offensively. She's not very big though, so someone like KG can really push her around. After DeMuth's ACL, Valentin picked up the slack and really became the offensive leader for this team in both scoring and distributing. DeMuth stepping up and being a consistent option the whole game will be huge in opening up the court for Valentin.

Mizzou took down Baylor last night.
I'm looking for IU to pull the upset off today.

PostPosted: 01/05/06 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
The Hoosiers are on a bit of a roll -- defensively. If Purdue breaks 65, expect a win. If they can't hit 60, IU played their game and has a good chance of taking Purdue (or most anyone for that matter) down.

Keys of the game:

-- Rebounding. IU is weak in the post, and while Purdue isn't a world-beater down low, they certainly have more talent down low. Angela Hawkins will go to work, and play strong defense. If she can pick up some points in the paint, IU will be in great shape.

-- IU's Offense. Cyndi Valentin has to get herself to the line. It is IU's most efficient way to score. She just doesn't miss. She just has to stay aggressive offensively. She's not very big though, so someone like KG can really push her around. After DeMuth's ACL, Valentin picked up the slack and really became the offensive leader for this team in both scoring and distributing. DeMuth stepping up and being a consistent option the whole game will be huge in opening up the court for Valentin.

Mizzou took down Baylor last night.
I'm looking for IU to pull the upset off today.

I expect Purdue to lay an egg against a team that we should beat. We seem to do it every year. This one seems like as much of a chance for it as any on the schedule.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 01/05/06 5:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last year I went to the game against Purdue in Bloomington expecting to see Purdue slaughter us. We were very bad last year. Purdue couldn't hit a shot to save their grandmothers. Neither could IU, but that was pretty much standard operating procedure.

This year should be a better game as both teams are better. IU's defense is even better than last year and they are more capable offensively.

GO IU!

POUND THE PURDOUCHEBAGS!

PostPosted: 01/05/06 7:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
Last year I went to the game against Purdue in Bloomington expecting to see Purdue slaughter us. We were very bad last year. Purdue couldn't hit a shot to save their grandmothers. Neither could IU, but that was pretty much standard operating procedure.

This year should be a better game as both teams are better. IU's defense is even better than last year and they are more capable offensively.

GO IU!

POUND THE PURDOUCHEBAGS!

Purdouchebags. That's funny. Jackass.

Very Happy

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/05/06 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sharika Webb doing everything she can to throw the game away in the last seconds. Just caused two turnovers in the last minute.

Jenny Demuth misses two free throws with 30 seconds left.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/05/06 8:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Make that 3 turnovers by Webb in the final minute.

Overtime. Take Webb out.

desafiada6

PostPosted: 01/05/06 8:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

thanks to Lindsay for that block!!

Geeze, I knew they were gonna play Purdue hard, wish this was on TV!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Gearlds misses her fourth free throw of the season.

Up one point with 39 seconds left.

Sounds very, very ugly.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LWH puts us up by 3 with 13 seconds.

IU travels.

That should be the game with 10 seconds left.

Anyone know what happened to Erin Lawless's ankle? She hurt it and has been out at least overtime and part of the second half.

desafiada6

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

THey never really said what happened. All I heard was she went down I think on a rebound attempt...perhaps she came down on someone's foot?!? They said she had tears in her eyes...I just hope it's nothing that will keep her out for an extended period of time.

Wow...Wisdom-Hylton has come up BIG in this game!!!! BIG!!!

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Purdue wins 61-56. Alone in 1st place in the B11.

Surprisingly, this is the first time Purdue has been 3-0 in the B11 since 2001.

Won 33 of the last 37 against IU.

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Damn did the women need to win this game. Two more road games in a row coming up, esp the one against MN. Lose this game and the road would have been much much tougher.

I still am disappointed in our bench play. Players like Bogs need to really step it up.

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IndyPurduefan wrote:
I still am disappointed in our bench play. Players like Bogs need to really step it up.

Agreed!! This was too close for comfort. Natasha definitely needs to step it up, stop looking like that outta control freshman from last year!!!

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

desafiada6 wrote:
IndyPurduefan wrote:

Agreed!! This was too close for comfort. Natasha definitely needs to step it up, stop looking like that outta control freshman from last year!!!

I'm not necessarily suprrised at the score....even with Bennett IU played Purdue very tough down in B-ton, but our bench needs to really kick it up in Big Ten play.

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IndyPurduefan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Damn did the women need to win this game. Two more road games in a row coming up, esp the one against MN. Lose this game and the road would have been much much tougher.

Me too. Bogs looked like she was improved at the beginning of the season, not she has faded away. I also don't know what is going on with Cherelle George. Had been expecting more from her.

Curry sounds very disappointed in the team in the post-game interview. "Frankly, I didn't think we played very well." Giving Indiana lots of credit, and taking Purdue to task.

Alepp03

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IU isn't going to win many games with Valentin shooting that poorly. Still, it was pretty much like I said, IU kept the score low and had a shot to win. Versyp will demand that this game goes our way next time. Good win Purdue, good effort IU.

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Just heard the stat of the game: IU went 3-12 from the line in the second half. This from a team that was ninth in the NCAA coming into the game in free throws.

Lawless with a severely sprained ankle.

IndyPurduefan

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
IU isn't going to win many games with Valentin shooting that poorly. Still, it was pretty much like I said, IU kept the score low and had a shot to win. Versyp will demand that this game goes our way next time. Good win Purdue, good effort IU.

One would think Versyp would have demanded that the game goes IU way THIS time around. Laughing

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
IndyPurduefan wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

Me too. Bogs looked like she was improved at the beginning of the season, not she has faded away. I also don't know what is going on with Cherelle George. Had been expecting more from her.

Curry sounds very disappointed in the team in the post-game interview. "Frankly, I didn't think we played very well." Giving Indiana lots of credit, and taking Purdue to task.

I don't have a problem with Kristy taking them to task, and hopefully she's really railing the bench, because they aren't contributing like they should.

As for George, I think she's struggling a) because it's the PG spot and it's the most difficult and b) because it's Big Ten play and she is going against some seasoned players. She'll step into her own, just as Aya is doing.

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Congrats to Purdue and their 3rd straight win!

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html

Last edited by gopherfan on 01/05/06 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
gopherfan

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:

Congrats to Purdue and their 3rd straight win!

Want your bad romance

http://www.elyricsworld.com/bad_romance_lyrics_lady_gaga.html
Alepp03

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BOILER UP YOURS!

Surprised

I'm sure Versyp was not camping happily on the sidelines tonight. But you can't deny that IU has to start somewhere. They have to grow somehow. You can't refuse moral victories when your program hasn't been in the tournament in 5 years and was kinda lucky to make it then in the first place.

PostPosted: 01/05/06 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Alepp03 wrote:
BOILER UP YOURS!

Surprised

I'm sure Versyp was not camping happily on the sidelines tonight. But you can't deny that IU has to start somewhere. They have to grow somehow. You can't refuse moral victories when your program hasn't been in the tournament in 5 years and was kinda lucky to make it then in the first place.

Find me a coach that IS happy after a loss, and they'll quickly be shown the door.

IU is going to be a tough out for every team they play this year. I think they caught Iowa and PSU off guard, and honestly, if we played them the first or second game, I think IU takes this one.

You are right, IU has to start somewhere, but when you have the likes of Purdue and ND in the state, it's going to be very tough. But Versyp will be much better at trying to do just that than Bennett could ever have hoped to have been.

PostPosted: 01/05/06 10:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just want Versyp to bring a scorer in at some point. I am fine with defense being the bread and butter. I know a lot of people don't like that style, but I say whatever works. But at some point, she needs to find someone who can drop 20 consistently.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: