RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Big East 22-23
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queenie

PostPosted: 03/02/23 5:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Queenie - what are your thoughts on the BE COY?

I think he’ll try to use this to get a raise, since as far as I know they haven’t extended his contract. St. John’s is running short on fucks for anything that isn’t men’s basketball, so they’ll probably laugh at him and he’ll go somewhere else. If he does, I wish him good luck and I wish the team that gets him good luck. If he doesn’t, it’ll be absolutely fascinating to see how he coaches a team that returns one starter and one reserve that he actually uses, and I suspect he’ll return to the form shown in the prior two years.

PostPosted: 03/03/23 11:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I think he’ll try to use this to get a raise, since as far as I know they haven’t extended his contract. St. John’s is running short on fucks for anything that isn’t men’s basketball, so they’ll probably laugh at him and he’ll go somewhere else. If he does, I wish him good luck and I wish the team that gets him good luck. If he doesn’t, it’ll be absolutely fascinating to see how he coaches a team that returns one starter and one reserve that he actually uses, and I suspect he’ll return to the form shown in the prior two years.

I was surprised by the pick. While I don’t think there was a clear top candidate for it, I would have picked Geno for how uconn finished dealing with all those injuries. But my opinion doesn’t count for much in the scheme of things 😂

ucbart

PostPosted: 03/03/23 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

I was surprised by the pick. While I don’t think there was a clear top candidate for it, I would have picked Geno for how uconn finished dealing with all those injuries. But my opinion doesn’t count for much in the scheme of things 😂

Personally-I think the dude from Butler should've won it. They went from abysmal to the 8th seed. He's quite a hire and I bet it won't be long for the P5 comes and snags him.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 03/04/23 2:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ucbart wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:
Queenie wrote:
Marquette Fan wrote:

Personally-I think the dude from Butler should've won it. They went from abysmal to the 8th seed. He's quite a hire and I bet it won't be long for the P5 comes and snags him.

Probably a stretch but I do see the argument. Georgetown also seems to be marginally better than in the past few seasons. If the league can get Xavier out of the 200s in the power rankings, it will go a long way in solidifying the Big East as a four- or five-team NCAA big league every year.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 03/07/23 8:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coaching changes at Providence and Xavier so far. I really don't expect any other 'mutually agree to part ways' coaching changes'. Georgetown would likely be the only other BE school who might have a reason to make a coaching change and I'm not sure they care enough about Women's Basketball to do so.

I'm wondering if any P5 schools will try to hire Duffy away from MU - we will see.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/03/23 8:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still waiting to hear about who the new Coaches at Xavier and Georgetown will be.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/04/23 11:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Xavier hasn't had a coach for a month -- hoping the AD hasn't forgotten he has a women's team (which I've wondered occasionally over the past decade). Not really expecting a splashy hire from either Georgetown or Xavier at this point.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/04/23 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Xavier hasn't had a coach for a month -- hoping the AD hasn't forgotten he has a women's team (which I've wondered occasionally over the past decade). Not really expecting a splashy hire from either Georgetown or Xavier at this point.

Yeah I agree with you about the type of hire that’s likely and sorry for you as a Xavier fan. Just a tad surprised neither school has announced a hiring yet.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/04/23 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm glad for you and for the Big East that it seems unlikely Duffy is going anywhere. I thought maybe Xavier's AD had a candidate in mind since he let Moore go right away after the season ended. Now, with all teams done playing, that seems less likely. My hunch is that he either swung and missed (thinking this is a possibility with Robyn Fralick) or didn't know who he wanted.

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 04/05/23 9:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

What do you know - Xavier announced their new coach today 😂

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/05/23 9:19 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
What do you know - Xavier announced their new coach today 😂

Indeed!

Xavier hires Billi Chambers.

https://goxavier.com/news/2023/4/5/womens-basketball-billi-chambers-named-xavier-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

The release mentions a lot about her first and last seasons at Iona, which were very successful, but doesn't mention much in between.

2013-14 26-6, 18-2 MAAC
2014-15 15-15, 12-8
2015-16 23-12, 16-4
2016-17 18-13, 12-8
2017-18 2-28, 2-16
2018-19 5-26, 3-15
2019-20 9-21, 8-12
2020-21 6-9, 5-6
2021-22 11-16, 8-12
2022-23 26-7, 18-2
Overall: 141-153, 102-85

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/05/23 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie, do you have any insight to the Iona program? They had a fantastic season this year but it's odd to see someone have two 26-win seasons with a 2- and a 5-win season in the middle.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/05/23 9:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Her coaching has improved, as has her recruiting. But she can be very abrasive- my personal beef with her was when she basically ran off a team captain who had been the hero of their tournament game. She will play her style come hell or high water, whether or not the personnel fit it.

PostPosted: 04/06/23 7:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
Her coaching has improved, as has her recruiting. But she can be very abrasive- my personal beef with her was when she basically ran off a team captain who had been the hero of their tournament game. She will play her style come hell or high water, whether or not the personnel fit it.

Only Queenie could have legit beef with the former coach of Iona.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/06/23 7:31 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:

Thanks for the insight. It will be interesting to see how she does at Xavier. My assumption is that she was an inexpensive hire.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/06/23 4:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I honestly had not expected her to go Midwest- she's originally from Maryland and cut her D-I teeth at UMBC and Virginia Tech, so I thought she would end up back in that area of the country. But she really hasn't shown a regional bias in her recruiting, so I suppose recruiting to Cincinnati as opposed to recruiting to New Rochelle doesn't make that much of a difference. Do the Xavier women use the Cintas Center?

PostPosted: 04/10/23 8:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Xavier's women do play at Cintas Center. Xavier's facilities are all really good, but it definitely seems like that's because the men's team uses them. Smile

I will be curious to see how she does. This is the third women's basketball coach the current AD has hired, and the other two were disasters, which makes me think there are bigger issues. If you look at the nonconference schedule, Xavier plays at a lot of mid- and low-major teams on the road, which seems unusual to me. The whole program has screamed lack of funding (to me, anyway, but I have no inside knowledge) since Kevin McGuff left for Ohio State more than a decade ago.

Also, was she on the verge of getting fired before this season? It looked like there had been four or five losing seasons in a row before now. Kudos to her for turning this good season into a job in a better league, but I'm not sure it's going to translate.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 04/10/23 9:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
Xavier's women do play at Cintas Center. Xavier's facilities are all really good, but it definitely seems like that's because the men's team uses them. Smile

I will be curious to see how she does. This is the third women's basketball coach the current AD has hired, and the other two were disasters, which makes me think there are bigger issues. If you look at the nonconference schedule, Xavier plays at a lot of mid- and low-major teams on the road, which seems unusual to me. The whole program has screamed lack of funding (to me, anyway, but I have no inside knowledge) since Kevin McGuff left for Ohio State more than a decade ago.

Also, was she on the verge of getting fired before this season? It looked like there had been four or five losing seasons in a row before now. Kudos to her for turning this good season into a job in a better league, but I'm not sure it's going to translate.

Didn't McGuff have a stop at University of Washington for a couple of years before jumping to Ohio State?

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/10/23 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Didn't McGuff have a stop at University of Washington for a couple of years before jumping to Ohio State?

You're right, I'd completely blanked on that. Then Washington replaced McGuff with Mike Neighbors, who stayed a couple years before going to Arkansas. Neighbors was an assistant to McGuff at Xavier, too.

Queenie

PostPosted: 04/10/23 10:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

We were in Seattle when Neighbors bailed for Arkansas.

The doors at UW's arena were festooned with signs announcing the cancellation of the basketball camp and telling people to send their complaints to Coach Neighbors at his new e-mail address.

PostPosted: 04/12/23 9:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

So I guess I missed an announcement somewhere -
>With the Big East schedule being cut from 20 to 18 games, the Huskies’ non-conference schedule will total 13 games.

That was in this article:

https://www.journalinquirer.com/sports/college/uconn_womens_basketball/uconn-womens-2023-24-non-conference-schedule-nearly-complete/article_1b9d8152-d90a-11ed-81f5-b75202f8cd04.html

I didn't realize they were changing the number of BE games next season.

HomerCecil

PostPosted: 04/13/23 9:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I hate to see that. One of my favorite things about the Big East is that everyone plays everyone, home and away. Now the regular-season conference standings could hinge on what teams you don't have to play a second time.

linkster

PostPosted: 04/13/23 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
I hate to see that. One of my favorite things about the Big East is that everyone plays everyone, home and away. Now the regular-season conference standings could hinge on what teams you don't have to play a second time.

The old BE didn't play everyone twice but they always scheduled the top teams for 2 games, unlike say, the SEC, where the top teams only rarely play twice.
I like the 18 game schedule and will until teams like Prov. GTwn and a couple more get better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: