RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2022-2023 Pac-12 Season
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/06/22 6:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Maryland may or may not come pretty close to positionless this year. Have yet to actually see them so can't say for sure. But in their exhibition games they started a true PG along with 4 wings who are all versatile, athletic, between 6'0'' and 6'3'', and could conceivably all play the 2 through 4 in a "traditional" system. May not be truly positionless but it's in that spirit.

PostPosted: 11/06/22 6:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

That reminds me of Hammon trying to keep Dydek from getting a rebound.

tfan

PostPosted: 11/06/22 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
ASU always puzzled me. You would think the climate would be a draw for good players. I think CTT's style of play - her platooning players in and out drove me crazy - would put off top recruits, who would rarely be given enough time on the floor to actually shine.

It seems like only a few schools can get the top recruits. They only pile into a handful of schools to get maximum chance of winning a championship. Arizona, Washington, Washington State, Colorado, Utah, Cal - are they getting top recruits? I think Oregon and Oregon State have only in recent years gotten some top 20 recruits. But I don't think they get National Team members like the perennial contenders. I believe Ionescu went to Oregon because her brother went there.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/06/22 8:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona has the #1 recruiting class in 2023 as of right now, #8 in 2022. They've taken their NC game appearance from a couple Big Dances ago and run off with it with how well they've recruited. And of course, they're still in the running for #1 overall 2023 recruit Juju Watkins. As long as Adia Barnes is there, it seems they'll be a Have, rather than a Have Not.

Washington has gotten two Top-15 recruiting classes in a row now for 2022 & 2023. Considering the Huskies have gone 14-30 the past two seasons, it's nothing short of miraculous, afaic. As a longtime Husky fan, here were my full thoughts on it.

WSU has had a decent international recruiting presence the past several years. That's how they've gotten their best player, Charlisse Leger-Walker (New Zealand), whom I don't think anyone else would've heard of had the Cougs not brought her in. Because of the obscurity of their prospects, you don't tend to see them show up in any rankings.

Colorado & Utah seem to get diamonds in the rough, from all over, maybe because of where they are. Utah always has some in-state kids and some international flavor, but their two young stars are both from Minnesota. I've seen Colorado get kids from the west coast through Texas to even the southeast (their starting PG is from Alabama), but also a little international as well.

Cal had a vast Top-10 recruiting class in 2020 when Charmin Smith first took over, but it has yet to reach its full potential. Not a whole lot since, other than Jayda Curry, who was maybe a Top-100 kid? She's been a higher performer than that whole 2020 class put together, which is kinda mind-boggling. We'll see if Smith’s strategy of bringing in more transfers than freshmen this year yields results.

As mentioned, Oregon & Oregon State continue to recruit very well. Both schools brought in Top-5 classes for 2022.

As for the Ionescu's: Her twin brother Eddy (who is listed at 6-6, like, imagine Sabrina being that tall with the skills she has lmfao bye!) did not have the clean college career Sabrina had. From what I understand, he was gonna first walk on at Oregon, but ended up at City College of San Francisco for his first couple years of college, then found his way to Oregon (again...?), redshirting the '18-'19 year and then apparently ending his college career on the covid year. I don't know if he actually got on scholarship at any one point though. ClayK probably knows more. Anyway, Sabrina's final two schools were Oregon and Washington, with I believe Cal as a distant 3rd... and that's all I wanna say about that! 😩

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/07/22 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:
As Stormeo mentioned, no real point guard for Washington, but they do have a senior group which could go a long way. Along with Van Dyke and Schwartz, I think Daniels could take her time getting up to speed.

Interestingly enough, Grothaus, along with Daniels, shores up this teams weakness in the post. The former was a 1,000 point scorer at Lehigh.

This should be an interesting group to watch

I hope so! I really hope we find minutes for our better freshmen. That wasn't the case with last year's class, so they all transferred out – although they were an inherited class, so I'm a little more optimistic about this one. In order for this year's frosh to get minutes though, I'm hoping one or two of our seniors who have had plenty of opportunities to succeed over the years but ultimately haven't (due to inconsistency/lack of development, injury history, etc) get to bow out gracefully this year and get little to no minutes. This year is important given the large veteran presence, but we need to continue to build towards the future, and that means giving ample playing time to the underclassmen, who have more raw talent and thus a higher ceiling overall than our big senior group.

In the wake of 6-9 Nancy Mulkey's graduation, and likely the addition of specifically Dalayah Daniels who's a pretty versatile player, we'll supposedly be more "positionless" this year – everyone's favorite basketball buzzword. 🙃

I think development of young players is gonna be an issue in the conference and across the WCBB. And I wonder how long the effect will last as players continue to shop for better situations.

Washington will be affected but so will Arizona and USC, just by looking at their rosters. How will coaches develop young players and will having experience transfers hurt or help overall programs. Places like Oregon and Arizona are starting to build off the transfer portal.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/07/22 11:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC
2021-22 Record: 12-16, 5-12
2021-22 Postseason: None
Coach: Lindsay Gottlieb
Coach Record: 12-16 USC, 68-55 Pac-12, 247-144 overall

DEPARTED PLAYERS
Jordyn Jenkins, 14.8 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.5 apg
Jordan Sanders, 12.4 ppg, 3.9 rpg
Alissa Pili, 7.8 ppg, 4.5 rpg
Tera Reed, 6.6 ppg. 3.7 rpg, 3.2 apg
Angel Jackson, 4.4 ppg, 3.0 rpg
Desiree Caldwell, 3.5 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 3.3 apg
Amaya Oliver, 0.4 rpg
Kyra White, 1.3 ppg, 1.3 rpg

RETURNING PLAYERS
India Otto, Senior Guard,
Bella Perkins, Sophomore Guard, 2.6 ppg, 1.0 rpg
Rayah Marshall, Sophomore Guard/Forward, 11.2 ppg. 7.7 rpg
Madison Campbell, Redshirt Junior Guard, 1.1 ppg, 0.7 rpg
Alyson Miura, Senior Guard, 6.0 ppg, 1.2 rpg
Clarice Akunwafo, Sophomore Center, 3.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg

NEW PLAYERS
Koi Love, Junior Forward - Arizona
Taylor Bigby, Sophomore Guard - Oregon
Aaliyah Gayles, Freshman Guard
Kayla Williams, Junior Guard - UC Irvine
Destiny Littleton, Grad Guard - South Carolina
Okako Adika, Grad Guard/Forward - TCU
Kadi Sissoko, Grad Forward - Minnesota
Rokia Doumbia, Grad Guard - Purdue

Last edited by fancy_daniel on 11/07/22 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/07/22 11:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

USC will have a lot of question marks, especially losing a bulk of their scoring from last season and the addition of 7 transfers.

Rayah Marshall is obviously the star but looks like she'll get a lot of help. However, I've never been sold on Gottlieb as a head coach and USC historically underperforms for the talent it is able to get.

Who'll play the point? I'm thinking potentially Kayla Williams from UC Irvine. Williams along with Sissoko and Adika were double figure scorers at their schools so looks like there will be a scoring punch with Miura and Littleton as three-point threats.

And there's plenty of depth off the bench. The question is, how will this team gel. Based on talent alone, USC has what it takes to make the postseason.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/07/22 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Re: USC: It looks like there's a lot of guards and almost no bigs

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/07/22 12:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Re: USC: It looks like there's a lot of guards and almost no bigs

Looks like they are thin in the post. They lost a number of forwards.

I'd say Akunwafo could step up but she was a role player last year. I think there will be a steady rotation of small forwards with Sissoko, Love, and Bigby.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/07/22 12:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

fancy_daniel wrote:
And there's plenty of depth off the bench. The question is, how will this team gel. Based on talent alone, USC has what it takes to make the postseason.

Don’t we say this exact thing about these guys pretty much every year? Embarassed

Securing JuJu Watkins' commitment would go a long way towards Gottlieb getting this program back into prominence – but even then, for either LA school, the issue has never been about getting talent…

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/09/22 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
fancy_daniel wrote:

Don’t we say this exact thing about these guys pretty much every year? Embarassed

Securing JuJu Watkins' commitment would go a long way towards Gottlieb getting this program back into prominence – but even then, for either LA school, the issue has never been about getting talent…

Yeah, we've been saying it since the Lisa Leslie days. I mean, they could secure Watkins, but I don't expect that to change the program. They've had top recruits before and not gone anywhere.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/09/22 1:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Since I started this, I'm going to wrap them up, hopefully, this week.

Colorado
2021-22 Record: 22-9, 9-7 Conf.
2021-22 Postseason: 0-1 (NCAA Tournament)
Coach: JR Payne
Coach Record: 92-82 Pac-12, 193-195 Overall

DEPARTED PLAYERS
Mya Hollingshed, 14.1 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 2.0 apg
Peanut Tuitele, 7.4 ppg, 4.2 rpg
Lesila Fina, 4.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg
Kylee Blacksten, 2.0 ppg, 1.0 rpg
Maura Singer, 0.6 ppg, 1.3 rpg
Kennedy Taylor

RETURNING PLAYERS
Jaylyn Sherrod, Senior Guard, 8.1 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 2.2 apg
Tayanna Jones, Grad Guard, 3.4 ppg, 2.0 rpg,
Tameiya Sadler, Junior Guard, 5.0 ppg, 2.1 rpg
Frida Formann, Junior Guard, 7.5 ppg, 1.7 rpg
Quay Miller, Senior Center, 10.6 ppg, 5.1 rpg, 2.1 apg
Kyndyll Wetta, Sophomore Guard, 4.5 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 2.8 apg
Sophie Gerber, Redshirt Freshman Guard
Charlotte Whittaker, Redshirt Junior

NEW PLAYERS
Ally Fitzgerald, Freshman Forward
Lizzie Holder, Freshman Guard
Aaronette Vonleh, Sophomore Center - Arizona
Jada Wynn, Freshman Guard
Brianna McLeod, Freshman Forward

Last edited by fancy_daniel on 11/09/22 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/09/22 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It’s lookin' like Colorado’s making Quay Miller the new centerpiece. The Draft-eligible true senior went off for 22 pts on 8-11 FG (2-2 3PT) and 17 reb in their home opener. Aaronette Vonleh started alongside her and also contributed. Tameiya Sadler who was taken off the court on a stretcher following a back injury in the Pac-12 Tournament last season played in some minutes off the bench – good to see she recovered, apparently.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/09/22 3:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Colorado has some nice pieces. Sherrod and Wetta at guard can be a handful for opponents. They're calling Forman a guard, but I thought she was more of a forward. Anyway all of them have shown flashes of good stuff. I don't actually remember Jones, who started the other day. NMSU is a pretty bad team so can't tell much from that game but when Colorado plays at home, with the altitude issue also on their side, they can definitely be tough.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/10/22 12:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, Colorado has some nice pieces. Wetta and Sherrod played really well together. I never thought of that team having the smoothest offense, but they somehow got it done.

Miller is powerful, but a bit undersized. It'll be interesting to see how her offensive production goes as she faces more length.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/10/22 12:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Washington State
2021-22 Record: 19-11, 11-6
2021-22 Postseason: 0-1, NCAA Tourney
Coach: Kamie Etheridge
Coach Record: 52-64 Pac-12, 135-108 Overall

DEPARTED PLAYERS
Krystal Leger-Walker, 7.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.0 apg
Michaela Jones, 2.7 ppg, 1.2 rpg
Ekin Celikdemir, 1.5 ppg
Shir Levy, 0.6 ppg

RETURNING PLAYERS
Kaia Woods, Sophomore Guard, 0.1 ppg, 0.5 rpg
Tara Wallack, Sophomore Guard, 5.3 ppg, 3.0 rpg
Emma Nankervis, Senior Center, 1.0 ppg, 1.2 rpg
Charlisse Leger-Walker, Junior Guard, 16.1 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 2.8 apg
Jessica Clarke, Junior Center, 2.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg
Ula Motuga, Fifth-Year Forward, 6.6 ppg, 6.0 rpg
Grace Server, Senior Guard, 1.7 ppg, 1.1 rpg
Johanna Teder, Senior Guard, 10.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.6 apg
Bella Murekatete, Senior Center, 10.2 ppg, 7.0 rpg

NEW PLAYERS
Astera Tuhina, Freshman Guard,
Kyra Gardner, Freshman Guard,
Lauren Glazier, Freshman Forward
Cia Eklof, Freshman Guard

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/10/22 12:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, Washington State did not have any transfers. However, they return a big portion of their roster and they've added some interesting freshmen.

I'm looking particularly at the guard Tuhina, who had 7 points in her first game. Also, a capable scoring backup at center is needed and Glazer was a scorer in High School. Nankervis and Clarke are okay defenders, but not big-time scorers as Murekatete can sometimes be foul prone.

Ula Motuga is back for her fifth-year which should help the team in scoring. And she can defend any position.

I also am looking forward to Tara Wallack taking that next step as starter and solid contributor. She had some really games last year.

I think the big loss here is Krystal Leger-Walker who was capable of turning games with her hustle and creativity. So Charlisse will have to do more, despite already being one of the conference's top scorers.

However, the team will not have to adjust to too many new players. and they have very experienced backcourt. I could see them making the NCAA tourney again.

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/10/22 2:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I always find myself rooting for Wazzou but not sure why. Motuga is maybe my favorite (outside of Stanford) player in the P12. Not flashy, but a hard worker and I just love her FT routine smile.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/13/22 3:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WSU sports truly is made of lovable losers. I don’t really mind their sports programs doing well unless they’re playing UW obviously. I’m not trying to insult them here, but they really are probably more suited to be a mid-major school like a Mountain West school due to their perceived academics (not that any of that shit really tends to matter for 99% of schools) and particularly their middle-of-nowhere location – which no other Pac school can relate to. It really puts them at a clear recruiting disadvantage.

WSU’s kind of a good case study here in the age of conference realignment. They get more money by being in the Pac vs. being in a non-P5 conference, but perhaps at the cost of their ability to establish sustained success within their athletic programs (particularly the revenue sports). Tell the Mountain West we’ll trade SDSU for them – maybe everyone wins. 🙃

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/13/22 10:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

yep. wazzou is really in a god forsaken outback. They get a lot of foreign kids because they don't realize how bad it is until they get there... Any top player would prefer to go just about anywhere else. But even their best foreign players stick with it, so they must have a decent supportive culture. They would definitely compete in the WCC or Big West or MW in women's bball at least.

Queenie

PostPosted: 11/14/22 12:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
yep. wazzou is really in a god forsaken outback. They get a lot of foreign kids because they don't realize how bad it is until they get there... Any top player would prefer to go just about anywhere else. But even their best foreign players stick with it, so they must have a decent supportive culture. They would definitely compete in the WCC or Big West or MW in women's bball at least.

They’d be competing directly with Gonzaga for everything in the WCC. I don’t think that ends well for Wazzu. They’d probably have to go to the Mountain West.

PostPosted: 11/14/22 8:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
myrtle wrote:

They’d be competing directly with Gonzaga for everything in the WCC. I don’t think that ends well for Wazzu. They’d probably have to go to the Mountain West.

Although even Gonzaga may not be around in the WCC for much longer.

Still, yeah, because the Mountain West is the only other west-coast-based FBS conference besides the Pac, there would be a 0.01% chance WSU would get relegated to an FCS conference. The Mountain West would definitely take them if they became available. The Big 12 conference may have some interest in them as well (elevator clauses in their next media deal for Power-5 additions, which may make the potential Gonzaga addition all the more curious), particularly if it nets them Washington for even a finite amount of time...

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/14/22 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
I always find myself rooting for Wazzou but not sure why. Motuga is maybe my favorite (outside of Stanford) player in the P12. Not flashy, but a hard worker and I just love her FT routine smile.

Yeah, think she is a fan favorite throughout the conference. I can't help but to cheer for her \work ethic, attitude and ability to make basketball plays happen.

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/14/22 11:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I said I would finish these ...

Oregon State
2021-22 Record: 14-13, 6-9
2021-22 Postseason: None
Coach: Scott Rueck
Coach Record: 256-126 Pac-12, 544-214 Overall

DEPARTED PLAYERS
Taylor Jones, 12.4 ppg, 6.9 rpg
Ellie Mack, 9.4 ppg, 4.5 rpg
Kennedy Brown, 7.9 ppg, 6.3 rpg
Taya Corosdale, 7.3 ppg, 7.4 rpg, 2.2 rpg
Greta Kampschroeder, 5.4 ppg, 2.5 rpg
Emily Codding, 3.4 ppg, 2.4 rpg
Tea Adams, 3.0 ppg, 1.7 rpg
Jovana Subasic
Andrea Aquino

RETURNING PLAYERS
Noelle Mannen, Reshirt Sophomore Guard, 1.6 ppg, 0.7 rpg
AJ Marotte, Sophomore Guard, 4.5 jpg, 1.4 rpg
Jelena Mitrovic, Redshirt Sophomore Center, 5.4 ppg, 4.8 rpg
Talia von Oelhoffen, Sophomore Guard, 13.7 jpg, 3.9 rpg, 3.0 apg

NEW PLAYERS
Shalexxus Aaron, Redshirt Junior Guard - Texas Southern
Bendu Yeaney, Redshirt Senior Guard - Arizona
Lily Hansford, Freshman Guard
Raegan Beers, Freshman Forward
Adlee Blacklock, Freshman Guard,
Timea Gardiner, Freshman Forward
Martha Pietsch, Freshman Guard

fancy_daniel

PostPosted: 11/14/22 11:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oregon State is perplexing. They lost A LOT of experience and bring in a lot of freshmen and some transfers. I'm really curious how this team will turn out.

It also makes me wonder what's going on with all the transfers. He had some solid players in Jones, Brown, Corosdale and even Kampschroeder leaving -- and losing Sasha Goforth the year before. What is going on in Corvallis?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: