RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Preseason Scrimmages and Exhibitions 2022-23
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/01/22 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
poor Warner Pacific (NAIA) from the Portland area had to spend their Halloween last night getting demolished by my UW Huskies in an exh. matchup, 115-24. it was probably a sad & quiet 3-hr bus ride back, especially knowing they wouldn't be able to spend the holiday night back on campus

obviously these lower-division schools agree to these (exhibition) games at least primarily for the paycheck – and thus they always will

it of course is very little consolation for the players that actually have to go out there and tough these games out – has anyone actually asked them how they feel about playing a Div.-I school?

that's why the "super cool chance to play Div. I" argument comes off to me as a disingenuous one, even as some players (especially freshmen who may not have ever experienced getting beat down) probably do feel that way

nah, it's all about the dead prezzies on the dollar

Just speaking for myself, when I was that age, I would have loved the chance to play, no matter the circumstances. Just eager for something different - the travel and all that. I once played in a pick up game and was demolished by one player who turned out to have played for the Chicago Hustle. The opportunity to play against a former pro player was priceless.

It's all up to the culture and mindset of the coach and team. They can focus on every bucket they score, every stop they make, every steal and celebrate each other. Or they can just feel overwhelmed.

I'm not sure why the travelling teams that used to play slightly more competitive exhibitions were outlawed. It was fun to see former Div.1 players who weren't quite good enough for the pro game go up against the more talented youngsters. But banning these teams is what led directly to the only options for exhibition games are Div 2, Div 3 or NAIA teams. More teams are opting for "closed scrimmages" against more competitive teams rather than playing an overmatched opponent. One thing for these exhibitions is that it gives players and bench players the chance to execute against someone other than their own teammates.

~rAf
BD22

PostPosted: 11/01/22 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
poor Warner Pacific (NAIA) from the Portland area had to spend their Halloween last night getting demolished by my UW Huskies in an exh. matchup, 115-24. it was probably a sad & quiet 3-hr bus ride back, especially knowing they wouldn't be able to spend the holiday night back on campus

obviously these lower-division schools agree to these (exhibition) games at least primarily for the paycheck – and thus they always will

it of course is very little consolation for the players that actually have to go out there and tough these games out – has anyone actually asked them how they feel about playing a Div.-I school?

that's why the "super cool chance to play Div. I" argument comes off to me as a disingenuous one, even as some players (especially freshmen who may not have ever experienced getting beat down) probably do feel that way

I used to be a D3 head coach and our team thought it was SO cool to play D1s. They were super pumped to play the games and get to experience playing "at that level", even though we were outmatched. And while we lost, we did some good things and the kids would talk about it all year. "Remember when so-and-so hit that 3 on *insert D1 player's name here*? That was so sick!"

So do all coaches run these games by their players? I'm certain not. But a lot of them do and, in my experience, the kid's were 100% for it.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/01/22 9:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

BD22 wrote:
I used to be a D3 head coach and our team thought it was SO cool to play D1s. They were super pumped to play the games and get to experience playing "at that level", even though we were outmatched. And while we lost, we did some good things and the kids would talk about it all year. "Remember when so-and-so hit that 3 on *insert D1 player's name here*? That was so sick!"

So do all coaches run these games by their players? I'm certain not. But a lot of them do and, in my experience, the kid's were 100% for it.

Different sport, but same concept: my collegiate varsity sport was tennis. My D2 school was well-respected even on the national level, having made it to Final Fours. I clearly remember how we really wanted to play OOC matches against D1 teams. Yeah, we got schlocked a lot, but....you still could create your glory moments, and gain some serious inspiration as you 'measured up' to these higher-caliber opponents. I certainly can see the positive in these arrangements.

PostPosted: 11/01/22 10:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Oklahoma State defeated Northeastern State University in their exhibition tonight. Last year, the team struggled with efficiency from everywhere and turnovers. Tonight provided a glimmer of hope for this season.

https://okstate.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wbball&id=14768

PostPosted: 11/02/22 9:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
Iowa State has a closed scrimmage @ South Dakota State on Oct 22. ISU's public exhibition is vs. Winona State on Nov 2.

Tonight's game won't have live audio or video of any sort. I know it's an exhibition, but what decade are we in?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 11/02/22 10:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
mred wrote:
Iowa State has a closed scrimmage @ South Dakota State on Oct 22. ISU's public exhibition is vs. Winona State on Nov 2.

Tonight's game won't have live audio or video of any sort. I know it's an exhibition, but what decade are we in?

Apparently a decade in which privacy still exists! An experience does not have to be broadcast for all to see in order to be meaningful.

~rAf
adamj95

PostPosted: 11/02/22 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Northwestern beat UW-Parkside 88-72 last night in an exhibition game.

PostPosted: 11/02/22 2:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:
mred wrote:

Too bad! I know fans are excited to see the new additions to the team. Iowa's game was fortunately on B1G+. Though B1G+ is certainly not a perfect streaming service, it's great for something like an exhibition game that would otherwise not be broadcast.

PostPosted: 11/02/22 2:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

adamj95 wrote:

Don't know anything about UW-Parkside but that strikes me as a surprisingly close score for an exhibition.

And then there's Denver, who barely scraped out a 2 point victory over CSU Pueblo last week. Shocked

PostPosted: 11/02/22 2:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
adamj95 wrote:

Don't know anything about UW-Parkside but that strikes me as a surprisingly close score for an exhibition.

And then there's Denver, who barely scraped out a 2 point victory over CSU Pueblo last week. Shocked

Head coach at Parkside graduated from my high school so I’m definitely rooting for them. The game was definitely closer than I expected. I hope that means they will be good this year. Doesn’t bode well for NW though.

PostPosted: 11/02/22 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford has one tonight at 7 pacific. It has a 'watch' link so I'm hoping that's true. Will be fun to see all the baby guards.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/02/22 3:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Stanford has one tonight at 7 pacific. It has a 'watch' link so I'm hoping that's true. Will be fun to see all the baby guards.

Is that like the PAC 12 links? On Stanford's website?

PostPosted: 11/02/22 4:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
myrtle wrote:

Is that like the PAC 12 links? On Stanford's website?

yes

Coyotes

PostPosted: 11/02/22 5:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's a free stream on the Stanford site - you do NOT need the Pac-12 network to watch Stanford tonight. Come ye, come all ye faithful to the beginning of a redemption season for Stanford.

Howee

PostPosted: 11/02/22 9:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Enjoying it now, as I type. Vanguard LEADING Stanford (5-4) Shocked

PostPosted: 11/02/22 9:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stanford off to a slow start - Hannah Jump missing some shots that were automatic for her last year. Lepolo and Nivar are going to be fun to watch!

mred

PostPosted: 11/02/22 9:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mred wrote:

104-47 win for ISU against Winona State. Transfer Stephanie Soares led ISU with 26, including 4-7 beyond the arc.

GEF34

PostPosted: 11/03/22 6:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

These are an overall general group of players who are expecting to be done with basketball when they graduate, many are already thinking about life after sports even before college. Some have never thought/imagined they'd be playing in some of the bigger arenas in the nation. For many it's a once in a life time experience.

You hear all the time about mid major players walking into arenas at the power five level taking pictures and just being in awe of playing in the building or against the school, and the same can be said for the D2/D3/NAIA programs. And also keep in mind not all exhibition games are teams getting money, some games all the is paid is transportation/hotels/food, so they aren't making money per say on the game, it is about the opportunity to give their players to travel and play in a big arena against a DI program.

noleman

PostPosted: 11/03/22 8:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FSU wins their final exhibition against Flagler 119-27. Freshman Latson lead the way with 36 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists in 20 mins of action. FSU is still without starting PG Gordon who has a minor injury, so only 9 available players tonight.

https://seminoles.com/latsons-36-highlights-exhibition-win-over-flagler/

myrtle

PostPosted: 11/03/22 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
BD22 wrote:

Different sport, but same concept: my collegiate varsity sport was tennis. My D2 school was well-respected even on the national level, having made it to Final Fours. I clearly remember how we really wanted to play OOC matches against D1 teams. Yeah, we got schlocked a lot, but....you still could create your glory moments, and gain some serious inspiration as you 'measured up' to these higher-caliber opponents. I certainly can see the positive in these arrangements.

maybe I'm too competitive but if I played for a 'lesser' program, I would simply hate to get blown out by a better team.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 11/03/22 11:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
Just speaking for myself, when I was that age, I would have loved the chance to play, no matter the circumstances. Just eager for something different - the travel and all that. I once played in a pick up game and was demolished by one player who turned out to have played for the Chicago Hustle. The opportunity to play against a former pro player was priceless.

It's all up to the culture and mindset of the coach and team. They can focus on every bucket they score, every stop they make, every steal and celebrate each other. Or they can just feel overwhelmed.

I'm not sure why the travelling teams that used to play slightly more competitive exhibitions were outlawed. It was fun to see former Div.1 players who weren't quite good enough for the pro game go up against the more talented youngsters. But banning these teams is what led directly to the only options for exhibition games are Div 2, Div 3 or NAIA teams. More teams are opting for "closed scrimmages" against more competitive teams rather than playing an overmatched opponent. One thing for these exhibitions is that it gives players and bench players the chance to execute against someone other than their own teammates.

Closed, inter-Division scrimmages seem like a solution more conducive towards the functionality of an exhibition game. All the workings of a simulated game, and a lot less of a chance of one team absolutely annihilating the other by a score that would certainly generate some negative buzz at the high school level – granted, a whole new ballgame at the college level, but I imagine a 90-point blowout at the high school level feels at least a little similar at the college level.

BD22 wrote:

Out of curiosity, did your kids ever get beat in these D1 matchups by upwards of 60, 70, 80, 90? Even 100? If so, and you're saying they were still excited afterward, that's good insight. Obviously there are fewer good takeaways the closer that scoring disparity gets to triple digits, but unless you get shutout in a basketball game, there literally is always some good play or two sprinkled within those 40 minutes.

If it really is a positive experience overall for these lower-Division players to come into these big gyms – even if they're empty cuz it's an exhibition game – I may not understand the value (I never played on a team sport lmao but that's its own issue to unpack for another day!), but good on them for apparently being able to set aside their competitive natures and instead just vibing with the whole experience. (Still, X amount of dollars gets the whole thing to happen, but I suppose one could say that about anything.) It still strikes me as odd that a D1 (and a Power-5) university would prefer to invite a lower-Division team for the sake of a practice game, over inviting a fellow D1 team to do a scrimmage that accomplishes the same thing but better. But, as evidenced above, not all these exhibition games are even epic blowouts.

And I also still feel a certain way about Warner Pacific having to come up here on a holiday evening (and probably go back that same night). Maybe the players were happy to miss out back on campus and partake in this matchup – personally I simply can't relate. Laughing since it was Halloween, if it were me I would've broken out that $LÚ††Y BÛ∏∏Y costume and ßøµπŒ∂!

GEF34

PostPosted: 11/04/22 12:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Unless the rules have changed, with it does seem that it has been relaxed some, playing another DI program can't be public, it seems now they can release footage and pictures, previously that was not allowed. So well the competition may be better, these exhibition games allow the fans to watch the team, also gives the teams an opportunity to play in front of fans with actual refs, lights, stats, PA announces, music, etc.

undersized_post

PostPosted: 11/04/22 8:40 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

(stormeo i see what you did there Laughing)

PostPosted: 11/04/22 8:53 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GEF34 wrote:
Unless the rules have changed, with it does seem that it has been relaxed some, playing another DI program can't be public, it seems now they can release footage and pictures, previously that was not allowed. So well the competition may be better, these exhibition games allow the fans to watch the team, also gives the teams an opportunity to play in front of fans with actual refs, lights, stats, PA announces, music, etc.

Teams are allowed to play a max of 2 private scrimmages and/or exhibitions. Most teams opt to do 1 of each. The exhibition can only be against non-D1, with one exception: Two D1 teams can play in an exhibition if it is for a charity, a la what Texas and DePaul did last week in raising funds for a new school in Uvalde.

NoDakSt

PostPosted: 11/04/22 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Georgia Tech had a close one beating Clayton State by 7.

Gonzaga plays Western Washington, The preseason number two team in division two, tonight.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: