RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

ESPN's "best in conference" & best conference

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArtBest23

PostPosted: 10/13/22 2:36 pm    ::: ESPN's "best in conference" & best conference Reply Reply with quote

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34782165/women-college-basketball-2022-23-predictions-all-32-conferences

The ACC was the one conference with no consensus selection, with Alexa Philippou predicting Louisville, Charlie Creme choosing Notre Dame, and M.A. Voepel Naming NC St.

Most of the picks were unanimous.

Howee

PostPosted: 10/16/22 2:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I liked the group's take on the Big 12, specifically Baylor: gonna be an interesting season there, imo.

I also liked Charlie's analysis of the Pac 12: it should be Stanford's to lose, but....who knows?

PostPosted: 10/17/22 7:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They picked Troy in the Sun Belt. JMU begs to differ with that one.

PostPosted: 10/17/22 1:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Charlie taking Longwood in the Big South was just lazy. They lost all their starters from last year.

Stonington_QB

PostPosted: 10/18/22 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Think it's safe to assume that, like in every other sport they cover, just about none of ESPN's picks will actually come to fruition, with the gimmes as obvious exceptions.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 10/18/22 9:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Charlie taking Longwood in the Big South was just lazy. They lost all their starters from last year.

Charlie just being Charlie. Lazy all day with anyone not P5 or personally known to him.

PostPosted: 10/18/22 11:36 am    ::: Re: ESPN's "best in conference" & best confere Reply Reply with quote

ArtBest23 wrote:
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34782165/women-college-basketball-2022-23-predictions-all-32-conferences

The ACC was the one conference with no consensus selection, with Alexa Philippou predicting Louisville, Charlie Creme choosing Notre Dame, and M.A. Voepel Naming NC St.

When you have no idea what you're talking about, save face and just pick all three contenders to win. It's what they always do whenever they're not "all-in" on making a choice.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/18/22 12:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Last season fewer than half of ESPN's unanimous choices won their conference

PostPosted: 10/18/22 12:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

are you going by regular season or tournament champs or either?

PostPosted: 10/18/22 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
pilight wrote:

are you going by regular season or tournament champs or either?

Regular season

PostPosted: 02/25/23 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
I liked the group's take on the Big 12, specifically Baylor: gonna be an interesting season there, imo.
I also liked Charlie's analysis of the Pac 12: it should be Stanford's to lose, but....who knows?

Indeed. Charlie blew The Pac 12. By a bit.Razz
Quote:
Creme: Arizona is the Pac-12's second-best team. However, Oregon is right behind. If Te-Hina Paopao breaks out to become the star we have seen glimpses of, the Ducks could be the team trying to chase down Stanford. Kelly Graves will also need a big season out of Sedona Prince in the post and some production from another highly regarded recruiting class, but the assembled talent is good enough to get Oregon to its fifth Sweet 16 in the last six tournaments.

BUT....gotta give him some credit for his Big 12 call:
Quote:
Creme: It will end this season. In fact, I think Baylor will finish fourth in the Big 12. Texas and Iowa State look like better teams and Oklahoma could be as well. Iowa State was within a game of Baylor during the 2022 regular season and brings back its four top scorers -- Joens, Lexi Donarski, Emily Ryan and Morgan Kane -- and adds two-time NAIA Player of the Year Stephanie Soares. Oklahoma beat Baylor twice last season and could be just as good with Madi Williams and Taylor Robertson back in the fold.

Another point of interest was narrowing the Best Conference down to the ACC and SEC. I believe the B1G has proven they belong in that conversation - Heck, I think they're the best of all three other.

Anybody else's pet conference come out as predicted?

PostPosted: 02/25/23 11:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For regular season results:

A-10: swing and a miss, as Rhode Island clinched the #1 seed today. UMass wasn’t a *bad* guess on their part, and it might be borne out in the conference tournament.

Big East: success with UConn clinching the #1 seed yesterday, but predicting UConn to win the Big East is not exactly rocket science.

Ivy: results unclear, come back later

MAAC: swing and a miss; Iona has clinched the regular season title and sits two and a half games ahead of Quinnipiac. Manhattan, the 2-out-of-3 pick, currently sits in sixth and is under .500 in conference.

NEC: Two out of three ain’t bad; I actually got to see FDU clinch the regular season title today at St. Francis (a slightly different part of) Brooklyn. Mr. Voepel, would you like to explain why you picked a team that’s not even in the NEC to win the NEC? Would you like to explain this especially to Coach Szumilo? I can make it happen. (FFS. The man didn’t even pick a *good* MAAC team to win the NEC.)

PostPosted: 02/26/23 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think UMass and Rhode Island actually shared the conference title with UMass somehow sneaking the top seed on a tiebreaker. I’m not sure what stars have led you astray.

summertime blues

PostPosted: 02/26/23 4:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They screwed up big time in the Sun Belt. They picked Troy. JMU, Texas State, and Georgia State finished with identical conference records on top. Troy was fourth.

PostPosted: 02/26/23 6:42 pm    ::: Re: ESPN's "best in conference" & best confere Reply Reply with quote

Stonington_QB wrote:
ArtBest23 wrote:

When you have no idea what you're talking about, save face and just pick all three contenders to win. It's what they always do whenever they're not "all-in" on making a choice.

Well, Creme got the ACC right for rational reasons. The other two missed by a mile. But then Voepel would be unlikely to pick ND for anything regardless of reality, and Philippou was slobbering over Jeff Walz and what a great addition to VT Owusu would be.

Queenie

PostPosted: 02/26/23 11:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Coyotes wrote:
I think UMass and Rhode Island actually shared the conference title with UMass somehow sneaking the top seed on a tiebreaker. I’m not sure what stars have led you astray.

My Twitter timeline was hollering about Rhode Island clinching an A-10 title, and no one mentioned it was a shared title.

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: