RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Bracketology: 2023 NCAA Tournament
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/11/23 2:02 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

undersized_post wrote:
NCAA Selection Committee's first official Top 16 reveal:

1. South Carolina
2. Indiana
3. Stanford
4. UConn
5. LSU
6. Utah
7. Iowa
8. Duke
9. Maryland
10. Notre Dame
11. Michigan
12. Texas
13. Virginia Tech
14. North Carolina
15. Villanova
16. Ohio State

The selection Committee definitely surprised on a few counts. The biggest surprise for me was Villanova making the list. The Wildcats best win was over Creighton (who they also lost to). They have three other losses, including UConn, Iowa St and Baylor. Their other best wins are South Florida, Princeton and Marquette.

Texas also seems high given that they have 6 losses, with only UConn in the top 16. They are only 4-3 on the road and 2-2 on neutral courts. Both Villanova and Texas were benefitted by high NET ratings (Texas 10, Villanova 11). This represents a change from previous years when who you played and who you beat were given higher priority.

Florida St was left out (even before their loss to Miami) despite wins over Duke and North Carolina and a better record in the ACC and higher NET than UNC.

mzonefan

PostPosted: 02/11/23 7:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Go B1G!

Yep, you bested the ACC 5-4. Of course, it's due to the near bottom of the ACC pulling off conference upsets and thus leading to a couple of ACC teams barely missing the top 16 cut. Top BIG teams only have to survive other top BIG teams beating each other up as the bottom BIG teams have little/no chance of pulling an upset.

So, it's the ongoing debate of what constitutes being a top conference? Is it having strong teams at the top only or having good teams in the bottom half who can beat a strong team on any given night? Meanwhile, congrats to both the BIG and the ACC this season!

I didn’t realize I was comparing results to other conferences or said depth of those conferences. Can’t one just be excited about one’s own?

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 02/11/23 7:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mzonefan wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
mzonefan wrote:
Go B1G!

Yep, you bested the ACC 5-4. Of course, it's due to the near bottom of the ACC pulling off conference upsets and thus leading to a couple of ACC teams barely missing the top 16 cut. Top BIG teams only have to survive other top BIG teams beating each other up as the bottom BIG teams have little/no chance of pulling an upset.

So, it's the ongoing debate of what constitutes being a top conference? Is it having strong teams at the top only or having good teams in the bottom half who can beat a strong team on any given night? Meanwhile, congrats to both the BIG and the ACC this season!

I didn’t realize I was comparing results to other conferences or said depth of those conferences. Can’t one just be excited about one’s own?

Yes, absolutely. Congrats to the BIG!

~rAf
whoopsjunkie2

PostPosted: 02/14/23 8:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Anyone else think Baylor should be dropping? Feels like they should be dropping towards the 9 line at least. Seems like Creme is giving them name-recognition benefit, they're 16-8 and 7-5 in Big 12.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/14/23 8:29 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Creme is acknowledging that the committee gives name recognition benefits

PostPosted: 02/14/23 9:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

LSU is going to be a challenge to seed properly. Creme and the committee reveal both show them as a #2 seed. Their resume is more indicative of a #6 or #7 seed. Only four Q1 wins and only five Q1 games. Columbia has a better record against Q1 opponents. Jackson State has played more Q1 games. LSU has six Q2 wins. Creighton has more Q1 wins and more Q2 wins, Creme has them as a #8 seed. LSU is going to be overseeded and will probably get upset early in the tournament.

PostPosted: 02/14/23 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
LSU is going to be a challenge to seed properly. Creme and the committee reveal both show them as a #2 seed. Their resume is more indicative of a #6 or #7 seed. Only four Q1 wins and only five Q1 games. Columbia has a better record against Q1 opponents. Jackson State has played more Q1 games. LSU has six Q2 wins. Creighton has more Q1 wins and more Q2 wins, Creme has them as a #8 seed. LSU is going to be overseeded and will probably get upset early in the tournament.

Hopefully, they'll have a host of metrics to utilize here, but still....name rec, actual w/l record...yeah - they'll probably stumble earlier than expected. They haven't beaten one ranked team all year, right?

PostPosted: 02/14/23 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

FYI: committee doesn't use quads as they do in the men's side. It is simply about final NET ranking and ranking of opponents as far as NET is concerned.

Which is something I think is utterly ridiculous.

whoopsjunkie2

PostPosted: 02/14/23 10:37 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I did read that but I think that it really makes more sense to apply it to coaches rather than teams where those coaches no longer coach. Nothing against Baylor but they've had a mediocre (by their standards) season thus far and I think they belong on the bubble.

pilight

PostPosted: 02/14/23 10:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

whoopsjunkie2 wrote:
pilight wrote:

I did read that but I think that it really makes more sense to apply it to coaches rather than teams where those coaches no longer coach. Nothing against Baylor but they've had a mediocre (by their standards) season thus far and I think they belong on the bubble.

I'd rate them as a #8 or #9 seed. That's not really "on the bubble".

PostPosted: 02/14/23 11:26 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

whoopsjunkie2 wrote:
pilight wrote:

FYI: committee doesn't use quads as they do in the men's side. It is simply about final NET ranking and ranking of opponents as far as NET is concerned.

Oh! Where did you read or hear about this? Do you know of other differences between how the men's and women's committees handle seeding?

whoopsjunkie2

PostPosted: 02/14/23 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[/quote]

Which is something I think is utterly ridiculous.[/quote]
Oh! Where did you read or hear about this? Do you know of other differences between how the men's and women's committees handle seeding?[/quote]

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2020/5/4/division-i-women-s-basketball-ncaa-evaluation-tool-net-faqs.aspx

calbearman76

PostPosted: 02/14/23 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting note on today's Creme Bracketology. The at-large teams included are the exact same as the top 36 in the NET (excluding Conference leaders.)

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/19/23 1:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

the NET system starts to look a bit sus to me when a team like Oregon (14-12 [5-10 conf.], losers of 6-straight) remains in the Top 30

Marquette Fan

PostPosted: 02/19/23 9:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

singinerd54 wrote:
whoopsjunkie2 wrote:
pilight wrote:

Oh! Where did you read or hear about this? Do you know of other differences between how the men's and women's committees handle seeding?

This is a recent article on a Marquette blog about it and highlights key differences between what they do for NET for Men's and Women's Basketball - https://www.anonymouseagle.com/2023/2/11/23595427/marquette-golden-eagles-womens-basketball-ncaa-tournament-bubble-net-rankings-sorting

undersized_post

PostPosted: 02/25/23 5:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

1. South Carolina (No. 1 seed — Greenville Region)
2. Indiana (No. 1 seed — Greenville Region)
3. Stanford (No. 1 seed — Seattle Region)
4. Utah (No. 1 seed — Seattle Region)
5. LSU
6. Maryland
7. UConn
8. Virginia Tech
9. Iowa
10. Notre Dame
11. Duke
12. Ohio State
13. Texas
14. Villanova
15. Arizona
16. Michigan

It's two days old at this point but I thought I'd post the reveal of the committee's latest top 16. With their upset of Stanford today, Utah definitely justified their new position as a 1-seed!

PostPosted: 02/25/23 7:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

....and will Arizona keep its 4-seeding with its last loss?? Shocked

PostPosted: 02/25/23 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:

Arizona actually has lost its last 2 games AFTER the reveal. Thursday night's loss to Oregon wasn't factored into the Thursday night reveal, so there is no way that Arizona presently has its 4-seed.

Howee

PostPosted: 02/25/23 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Howee wrote:

Arizona actually has lost its last 2 games AFTER the reveal. Thursday night's loss to Oregon wasn't factored into the Thursday night reveal, so there is no way that Arizona presently has its 4-seed.

That's what I was thinking - Arizona had that standing until Oregon beat them the next day (and then, Oregon State today.)

PostPosted: 02/26/23 10:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Howee wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
Howee wrote:

That's what I was thinking - Arizona had that standing until Oregon beat them the next day (and then, Oregon State today.)

Yeah, the Pac has been wild! Just as Arizona's win over Utah is looking better than ever, they stumble with losses to both Oregon schools. If the committee wants a third Pac team, maybe Colorado stands a chance to host, depending on how the Pac tournament goes.

PostPosted: 02/28/23 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Arizona will likely play UCLA in the Pac 12 tournament. The loser will be a 6 or even a 7 seed. The winner has a shot at a top 4 seed but will likely wind up a 5 unless they beat Stanford.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 03/01/23 3:04 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
the NET system starts to look a bit sus to me when a team like Oregon (14-12 [5-10 conf.], losers of 6-straight) remains in the Top 30

Oregon's still firmly a bubble team at 16-13 but is #18 in the NET, so again how legitimate is this rankings system?

calbearman76

PostPosted: 03/01/23 5:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Oregon's still firmly a bubble team at 16-13 but is #18 in the NET, so again how legitimate is this rankings system?

I suspect todays game will decide Oregon's fate. A win over Wahington probably gets them in, a loss puts them in the NIT

ArtBest23

PostPosted: 03/01/23 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

That's actually the example I most often see raised by articles questioning the validity and common sense of the NET formula.

And if the two "reveals" are an actual indication, the Committee isn't paying much attention to its own proprietary metric.

linkster

PostPosted: 03/01/23 11:51 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

The polls are a measure of the teams right now while NET is a seeding tool and seeding looks at the entire season. Right now UConn is playing like a 4 seed but those wins against ranked opponents still work in their favor. UConn has little chance to improve their seed except maybe beating Vill but maybe Geno would rather be a 3 and save his team's legs. He wouldn't be the first.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: