Board Junkies Forums

Seattle Storm 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pilight

PostPosted: 05/18/23 2:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm waive Theresa Plaisance

PostPosted: 05/20/23 6:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Okay, I know it was the Aces, but holy crap, we look like an expansion team. When we see how badly we lose to Dallas we'll have a better idea where we are.

Jewell can't do much when there's no one else they have to guard. Honestly, is there any point in her staying here?

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/22/23 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

For anyone who hasn't been following the saga in other threads or on Twitter, Gabby Williams didn't play in Games 2 or 3 of the French finals (both of which Lyon won anyway to take the title without her, amusingly). So she's probably WNBA-eligible for this season (there's certainly not much of a reason to have gone through all this unless they expected her to be). Exactly how pissed off the French federation is going to be, and whether they'll still want her for EuroBasket in a few weeks, are separate additional questions.

PostPosted: 05/22/23 4:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prioritization is aimed at leagues like the French and their leisurely one-game-every-eleven-days schedule.

PostPosted: 05/22/23 6:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Apparently, despite all that messing about, Gabby still isn't sure if she wants to play in the WNBA this year: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/37709738/gabby-williams-agent-says-2023-wnba-season-option-not-certainty

PostPosted: 05/22/23 7:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Apparently, despite all that messing about, Gabby still isn't sure if she wants to play in the WNBA this year: https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/37709738/gabby-williams-agent-says-2023-wnba-season-option-not-certainty

My guess is that is ploy to force a trade out of hopeless Seattle; let's face it: the only reason for Gabby to play for the Storm this year would be $, but, as article indicates, she would forfeit 1%/day for days missed since start of training camp (April 30); in addition, her French national team commitments would result in another 2-3 week loss of salary. Would you play for peanuts on a horrible Seattle team????
Consider this also: if Gabby stays out of USA for 11 months this year, and earns no US income, she can avoid US taxes on over $100k of her french salary. Playing for Sea would cost her this deduction (worth probably $30k), and she would be in high tax bracket on that potential Storm salary.

Last edited by canadaball on 05/22/23 7:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
pilight

PostPosted: 05/22/23 7:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

My guess is that is ploy to force a trade out of hopeless Seattle; let's face it: the only reason for Gabby to play for the Storm this year would be $, but, as article indicates, she would forfeit 1%/day for days missed since start of training camp (April 30); in addition, her French national team commitments would result in another 2-3 week loss of salary. Would you play for peanuts on a horrible Seattle team????

You might be overestimating her value. She's not a rotation player for a contender.

PostPosted: 05/22/23 8:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

You might be overestimating her value. She's not a rotation player for a contender.

With DeShields out, Dallas would be great fit; Gabby much better than Siegrist and Joens. How about Phx (Mercury barely have 5 legit W players)? Then there is LA, which actually traded for Gabby and has lost Katie Lou and Talbot. I do realize there might be cap problems, but I'll give u a viable scenario. Gabby currently in concussion protocol and has those Euro commitments, so would not really play in the W till July. Seattle signs her now, but agrees to trade her midway season so her cap hit reduced.

Queenie

PostPosted: 05/22/23 8:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

*She* might be overestimating her value too.

PostPosted: 05/22/23 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

She was a starter for a contender last year.

canadaball

PostPosted: 05/22/23 9:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Queenie wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

*She* might be overestimating her value too.

Wow, didn't realize such hate for Gabby. Look, no one is saying she is an All Star, but Gabby has shown she can play in the W and be a factor, I look at rosters this year, and can easily name 40-50 players who have yet to show they belong in the league.

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/23/23 9:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

With DeShields out, Dallas would be great fit; Gabby much better than Siegrist and Joens. How about Phx (Mercury barely have 5 legit W players)? Then there is LA, which actually traded for Gabby and has lost Katie Lou and Talbot. I do realize there might be cap problems, but I'll give u a viable scenario. Gabby currently in concussion protocol and has those Euro commitments, so would not really play in the W till July. Seattle signs her now, but agrees to trade her midway season so her cap hit reduced.

Hell to the NO. She's also more expensive then those 2. Ill take them over her any day .

PostPosted: 05/23/23 1:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Hell to the NO. She's also more expensive then those 2. Ill take them over her any day .

Just silly. For one thing, Gabby, no offensive wiz, is a premier defender while Joens/Siegrist have not shown they can guard anyone. Dallas would gladly dump/trade both (with their combined salaries) to add Gabby.

canadaball

PostPosted: 05/23/23 1:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Last edited by canadaball on 05/23/23 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/23/23 1:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Just silly. For one thing, Gabby, no offensive wiz, is a premier defender while Joens/Siegrist have not shown they can guard anyone. Dallas would gladly dump/trade both (with their combined salaries) to add Gabby.

Says who Laughing Laughing

Chicago ? - Nope
LA ? - Nope
Seattle ? - Nope

So you assume Dallas with our roster says Yes to a player who average 5 ppg Laughing Laughing Ill keep my cheap contracts .

PostPosted: 05/23/23 2:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
canadaball wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Chicago ? - Nope
LA ? - Nope
Seattle ? - Nope

So you assume Dallas with our roster says Yes to a player who average 5 ppg Laughing Laughing Ill keep my cheap contracts .

This conversation is just bizarre. Gabby was 2nd team Defensive All Pro last year for Seattle (that makes her one of top 10defenders in whole league). She averaged 7.5 ppg on 44% shooting (25% from 3) playing 25 min pg on top contending team (if coaches were reversed Sea wins that LV series).
To set record straight, Chicago was forced to trade Gabby in 2021 b/c they had no cap space to carry an expensive player whose foreign commitments meant missing most of season. LA gave up their first round pick despite knowing that they would get zero from Williams that year. Last year, Seattle gave up Katie Lou (former first round pick) and 2022 first round pick for Gabby.

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 05/23/23 4:57 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

canadaball wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
canadaball wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
canadaball wrote:
pilight wrote:
canadaball wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Chicago ? - Nope
LA ? - Nope
Seattle ? - Nope

This conversation is just bizarre. Gabby was 2nd team Defensive All Pro last year for Seattle (that makes her one of top 10defenders in whole league). She averaged 7.5 ppg on 44% shooting (25% from 3) playing 25 min pg on top contending team (if coaches were reversed Sea wins that LV series).
To set record straight, Chicago was forced to trade Gabby in 2021 b/c they had no cap space to carry an expensive player whose foreign commitments meant missing most of season. LA gave up their first round pick despite knowing that they would get zero from Williams that year. Last year, Seattle gave up Katie Lou (former first round pick) and 2022 first round pick for Gabby.

Referring to KLS as a former first round pick does not improve your case for Gabby's value to a team. KLS is one of those bad, bad first round picks that leads to jokes. She's tall and can shoot and those two things have led 3 GM's to think she had value, when the fact is she literally does nothing else. Check some box scores where she has zero rebounds, zero assists, zero steals. And remember the GM who traded Gabby for KLS also signed Chennedy Carter, Liz Cambage, so not known for evaluating talent/value.

~rAf
pilight

PostPosted: 08/10/23 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Storm release Ivana Dojkic

https://storm.wnba.com/news/storm-releases-guard-ivana-dojkic/

PostPosted: 08/10/23 3:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

What happened here? I thought earlier in the season she was playing really well.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/10/23 4:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
pilight wrote:

What happened here? I thought earlier in the season she was playing really well.

extremely weird

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/10/23 6:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It was at her request so she could join her national team.

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/10/23 6:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:

since she had essentially been benched, it makes sense she would feel to leave. but the benching was strange.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/10/23 7:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not the national team. Preparing for upcoming club season in Europe.

PostPosted: 08/10/23 7:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

One might say she's prioritized her Euro club over playing out the string for the worst tram in the W on a rookie contract

PostPosted: 08/10/23 8:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:

since she had essentially been benched, it makes sense she would feel to leave. but the benching was strange.

Or she was always going to leave early and they started taking her out of the rotation instead of a suddenly she leaves and there is a gap to fill.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: