Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigmont

PostPosted: 05/16/23 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
myrtle wrote:
I see Johannes still on the roster. Is she there? Is she coming?

She's not here yet. She's coming. In June, I believe. I think it depends on when her season ends in France. Perhaps someone else has better information.

How can Johannes come in June?

jmvcity

PostPosted: 05/17/23 6:28 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bummed about DiDi. She was their biggest cheerleader. Maybe she can join the Torch Patrol or be the in-arena hostess/emcee.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/17/23 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

An impressive tweet from Myles Ehrlich:

"I've been privileged to cover Didi Richards these past few years. If you only know one thing know this: Didi is always real. She's genuine in her support of literally everyone, perhaps the most welcoming person I've ever met. She brings a bubbly joy to every interaction."

Reading this makes me even more sad... yet I still feel that Didi just isn't among the best 11 candidates for the 2023 Liberty roster. Hoping for great things for Didi on and off the court. I think she's a lock to do great things OFF the court.

PostPosted: 05/17/23 8:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
Bummed about DiDi. She was their biggest cheerleader. Maybe she can join the Torch Patrol or be the in-arena hostess/emcee.

It stinks for sure and I hate to have anyone lose their job, but in a league with so few roster spots, you can't have a game where you provide almost nothing on offense. Unless she completely transforms herself on offense, I think her playing days in the W are behind her.

Her personality is totally dynamic and she certainly has built up a great brand. She would be a great media person.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 05/17/23 10:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Didi's number one love is modeling not basketball, unfortunately...

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/17/23 12:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Jasmine Jones was waived by Washington.

PostPosted: 05/17/23 3:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

OK, Liberty fans. 24 hours to go before Kolb and Brondello have to finalize the roster. Barring a trade, it's either Sabally or Prince for the last spot. I can't imagine how they would release THREE younger players (Sabally, Richards, and Kone) just to have Epiphanny Prince as the #11 player on the roster. But I picked Kone for that last spot so I've already been wrong.

PostPosted: 05/17/23 4:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
OK, Liberty fans. 24 hours to go before Kolb and Brondello have to finalize the roster. Barring a trade, it's either Sabally or Prince for the last spot. I can't imagine how they would release THREE younger players (Sabally, Richards, and Kone) just to have Epiphanny Prince as the #11 player on the roster. But I picked Kone for that last spot so I've already been wrong.

I'm betting on Nyara Sabally

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/17/23 4:22 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Well I was damn close. They waived Prince in time for her to clear so she could be re-signed. https://twitter.com/MylesEhrlich/status/1658943812679368710?s=20

PostPosted: 05/17/23 5:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Well I was damn close. They waived Prince in time for her to clear so she could be re-signed. https://twitter.com/MylesEhrlich/status/1658943812679368710?s=20

So Myles Ehrlich says that Johannes's French team lost Game One in a best of three. Game Two on Saturday 5/20, possible Game Three next Monday 5/22. If her team loses Game Two or Game Three, will she come to New York right after that?

PostPosted: 05/17/23 6:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Interesting

Sloot/Johannes
Ionescu/Willoughby
Laney/Thornton
Stewart/Sabally
Jones/Dolson/Han Xu

We are big at every spot except PG we could even see some three post line ups with Stewart at the 3

blaase22

PostPosted: 05/17/23 6:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Liberty can’t mess this up and finally win it all, but i have a feeling they will.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/17/23 6:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
Interesting

Sloot/Johannes
Ionescu/Willoughby
Laney/Thornton
Stewart/Sabally
Jones/Dolson/Han Xu

We are big at every spot except PG we could even see some three post line ups with Stewart at the 3

It's indeed interesting how it has worked out. I agree about the likely three-post lineups. With Richards and Prince not on the team long-run, New York will be left with only three genuine guards plus, presumably, Laney and/or Willoughby seeing time at guard.

The roster would make more sense to me with another point guard. Someone, in fact, like Crystal Dangerfield. I view our roster this way: Kolb and Brondello really believe in both Willoughby and Sabally. We'll see if their belief is justified.

PostPosted: 05/17/23 7:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It feels to me like the Sabally 'injury' might be a convenient one to add a much-needed guard while they're still waiting for Johannes, basically asking her to take a week off to open the season so that they can balance the roster a bit. But long-term they're still really big-heavy. Laney (and Willoughby) are going to end up playing the 2, which isn't ideal against teams that will come at them with quickness.

Lots of paint protection to help behind them, though.

PostPosted: 05/17/23 10:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to believe that tomorrow night on my TV I'll be seeing Breanna Stewart, Jonquel Jones, and Courtney Vandersloot joining Sabrina Ionescu and Betnjiah Laney on the court for the New York Liberty. WOW!!!

PostPosted: 05/19/23 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Hard to believe that tomorrow night on my TV I'll be seeing Breanna Stewart, Jonquel Jones, and Courtney Vandersloot joining Sabrina Ionescu and Betnjiah Laney on the court for the New York Liberty. WOW!!!

Wow indeed! It is a little unbelievable. I was enthusiastic enough when we got Jonquel Jones--finally, the big post we need! And then the Brianna Stewart news--I don't think there's a player in the league who's better except maybe A'ja Wilson. I am thrilled to be rooting for her! And then, Vandersloot, to address a glaring need at point guard! All of a sudden, I was rooting for a superteam!

Maybe it won't come together, because not all teams assembled like this do, but anything less than a Finals appearance will be a huge disappointment with this roster. Even with an injury to one of our stars.

zune69

PostPosted: 05/19/23 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Liberty are not looking good...Ionescu should not have twice as many shot attempts as Stewie, especially when she's shooting poorly...Stewart should be the #1 option.....It's gonna take some time for the team to gel.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/19/23 8:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
The Liberty are not looking good...Ionescu should not have twice as many shot attempts as Stewie, especially when she's shooting poorly...Stewart should be the #1 option.....It's gonna take some time for the team to gel.

The team's best players looked often like they'd barely played together. And individually they shot quite poorly both on 3s and down low. I don't see any of that continuing for long. Washington scored only 80 points. If New York can hold opponents to 80 points per game for the regular season, there will be lots and lots of wins.

PostPosted: 05/19/23 9:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Super team looked like super s…nvm I fully expect roles to get established very quickly after the first week.

PostPosted: 05/19/23 9:26 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
The team's best players looked often like they'd barely played together.

Sloot and Stewart had some time to get used to each other when they were playing together on the Fenerbahce team in the Euro League. They played a meaningful supporting role helping Kiah Stokes lead Fenerbahce to the league championship! All Kiah does is win championships! Smile

Seriously, I did watch some of the playoff games, including the championship. I was hoping that playing together would allow Courtney and Brianna to develop some chemistry together, but to tell the truth I didn't see anything special develop just yet. Brianna herself started off a bit slow, but she got better as the tournament went on and absolutely tore it up in the championship game. Looking forward to seeing some of those legendary performances in a Liberty uniform!

Tonight was a disappointment, but the Liberty have a whole season to get this together. It's not like they have to worry about coming in first or second to avoid a play-in game. The league eliminating the play-in games essentially means that the regular season games of the league's best teams barely mean anything at all.

Sabrina should not be taking double the shots of the next highest player. And in general, the Liberty need to have more people touching the ball each possession.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/19/23 9:53 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Great piece by Jackie Powell for THE NEXT about how cutting Didi Richards was "devastating" for the Liberty:

https://www.thenexthoops.com/features/didi-richards-getting-waived-devastating-for-new-york-liberty/#comment-9585

PostPosted: 05/20/23 10:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm always curious about former New York Liberty players. I've just checked all the rosters and have come up with this list. If I've missed anyone or have anything wrong, please correct.

Lindsay Allen Minnesota
Rebecca Allen Connecticut
Layshia Clarendon L.A.
Lorela Cubaj Atlanta
AD Durr Atlanta
Crystal Dangerfield Dallas
Joyner Holmes L.A.
Natasha Howard Dallas
Sika Kone Chicago
Kia Nurse Seattle
Micaela Onyenwere Phoenix
Kiah Stokes Las Vegas
Sami Whitcomb Seattle
Amanda Zahui B Washington

This was the first I'd learned of Sika Kone signing elsewhere. I'd like to see quite a few of these players on the Liberty again... but we can't have a 20-player roster! The trades and roster decisions that Kolb and Brondello made make sense to me. I hope that Micaela Onyenwere does wonderfully with her great opportunity in Phoenix. I'll very much miss Sami Whitcomb. I remain thrilled that Kiah Stokes won a championship ring but certainly hope she won't again this season.

Final note: I've posted over the years about the 2020 Liberty's six non-Sabrina rookies who I've felt were overly heralded by Jonathan Kolb and Walt Hopkins. So now we're beginning the 2023 season. Walt is gone. Jocelyn Willoughby and Joyner Hopkins are WNBA bench players who may not get lots of minutes. Megan Walker, Jaz Jones, Kylie Shook, and Leanna Odom are out of the league. I'm hoping Willoughby will get some time on the court and make an important contribution to our team.

PostPosted: 05/20/23 11:47 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
I'm always curious about former New York Liberty players. I've just checked all the rosters and have come up with this list. If I've missed anyone or have anything wrong, please correct.

Lindsay Allen Minnesota
Rebecca Allen Connecticut
Layshia Clarendon L.A.
Lorela Cubaj Atlanta
AD Durr Atlanta
Crystal Dangerfield Dallas
Joyner Holmes L.A.
Natasha Howard Dallas
Sika Kone Chicago
Kia Nurse Seattle
Micaela Onyenwere Phoenix
Kiah Stokes Las Vegas
Sami Whitcomb Seattle
Amanda Zahui B Washington

Nice List...
Sydney Colson Las Vegas
Played for NYL 2011 -2011 ... not many games

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 05/20/23 12:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Lib Fan wrote:

Nice List...
Sydney Colson Las Vegas
Played for NYL 2011 -2011 ... not many games

Thanks for your correction and quite right. She played 16 games for the Liberty in 2011. I'd completely forgotten, but on seeing her name in your post I had a vague memory. I'm wishing all the others well, so I'll also wish Sydney Colson well. Noteworthy that she's on a WNBA roster today at age 33.

PostPosted: 05/21/23 3:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WOW! Breanna Stewart!!! WOW!!!

The Liberty scored only FIVE points in the fourth quarter. Didn't matter. Smile Noteworthy: eight assists from Vandersloot, eight from Sabrina, but 17 turnovers for the team. Obviously still getting used to each other.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 16 of 18

Jump to: