RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

New York Liberty 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmvcity

PostPosted: 02/08/23 1:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
NYL add Epiphany Prince to the roster as well.

How are they gonna fit Johannes and Han Xu?

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/08/23 1:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

jmvcity wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
NYL add Epiphany Prince to the roster as well.

How are they gonna fit Johannes and Han Xu?

I believe the hope has been to get Stewart and Vandersloot to accept contract terms that would allow New York to have Johannes and Han on the team and NOT have to do a sign-and-trade where they'd lose Laney or Dolson or possibly have to release Onyenwere. (Jackie Powell speculated about all this in an article a few days ago.)

I wonder if they've given Prince a training camp contract. We'll see. I don't see how she can make the team unless someone else (Onyenwere? Richards?) doesn't or is traded. Johannes will be arriving late and then will be away for at least 10 days in June. Perhaps they're looking at Prince as a fill-in when Johannes isn't available? Just guessing.

PostPosted: 02/08/23 1:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As per Ramona Shelburne, both Breanna and Courtney signed for "well below the maximum available to them" (source) and now we're trying to fit Epiphanny Prince on this roster? Maybe the day there's a big article about the Aces being investigated for circumventing the salary cap is not the day to demonstrate that either you've signed complete morons or you're blatantly circumventing the salary cap, guys.

I don't have the moral fiber to renounce my tickets, but I have a very monkey's paw feeling about this season if we win.

PostPosted: 02/08/23 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Prince is a training camp contract and therefore doesn't hit the cap until and unless she makes the opening day roster, so her money becomes irrelevant for now. The most they can give Stewart and Sloot right now, combined, is $364,514, but if it was all of that it might limit what else they can do. It might not be far off.

Actual numbers to come, of course.

PostPosted: 02/08/23 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Prince is a training camp contract and therefore doesn't hit the cap until and unless she makes the opening day roster, so her money becomes irrelevant for now. The most they can give Stewart and Sloot right now, combined, is $364,514, but if it was all of that it might limit what else they can do. It might not be far off.

Actual numbers to come, of course.

Thanks, Richyyy, and thanks in advance for posting actual numbers when you get them. I'm glad that my guess about Prince getting a training camp contract was correct.

I will continue to say that I'm VERY excited about the season ahead for the New York Liberty. Sad that some other Liberty fans aren't, but so it goes.

PostPosted: 02/08/23 2:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Given some media suggestions that signing Stewart and Vandersloot might mean that Betnijah Laney would be sent elsewhere in a sign-and-trade... the Liberty has posted photos of Laney on the court this morning with Sabrina Ionescu. Laney has a big smile on her face. Of course this guarantees nothing, but it seems worth noting.

P.S. Another sign that I choose to read hopefully. The Liberty has now put an ad on Facebook with the team's "All Star lineup" for May 21st: Laney, Stewart, Jones, Ionescu, and Vandersloot. I am taking this as another indication that Laney isn't imminently heading to Seattle or Chicago.

PostPosted: 02/08/23 3:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I am excited just a little overwhelmed by the turn of events

J. Jones, Stewie and Sloot might be the single largest off season acquisition of talent ever.

If I was a fan of another team I would definitely be annoyed and with the Vegas investigation I might even be suspicious

That said I will always support and root for the Liberty .

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 02/08/23 3:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

J. Jones, Stewie and Sloot might be the single largest off season acquisition of talent ever.

If I was a fan of another team I would definitely be annoyed and with the Vegas investigation I might even be suspicious

The investigation is dealing with hamby not salary cap issues.

PostPosted: 02/08/23 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

The two issues may not be mutually exclusive, we don't know.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/08/23 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I don't believe it's clear what the WNBA is or isn't investigating. I highly doubt that there's any concrete proof for the statement above by WNBA09.

PostPosted: 02/08/23 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

And1 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Trueeeeeee

PostPosted: 02/08/23 4:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
And1 wrote:
WNBA 09 wrote:

I don't believe it's clear what the WNBA is or isn't investigating. I highly doubt that there's any concrete proof for the statement above by WNBA09.

No i'm just as confused as you are lamb .....the W is being the W clearly .

PostPosted: 02/08/23 5:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I can't wait to to see the amount that Sloot and Stewart signed for.🤨

PostPosted: 02/08/23 9:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Numbers are up:

https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1623480109356273667

https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1623481370856108034

PostPosted: 02/08/23 9:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Numbers are up:

https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1623480109356273667

https://twitter.com/RichardCohen1/status/1623481370856108034

Thanks, Richyyy.

From these numbers, does it appear to you that the Liberty can carry the following 12 players?

Stewart, Laney, Jones, Ionescu, Vandersloot
Thornton, Dolson, Johannes, Han, Willoughby, Onyenwere, and Richards

At the moment, that's the roster I'd like to see.

PostPosted: 02/08/23 9:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:

From these numbers, does it appear to you that the Liberty can carry the following 12 players?

Good lord no. Remember when I said they could legally give Stewart/Sloot a max of $364,514? Well they gave them $364,000. Without trades this is a thoroughly 11-player roster.

PostPosted: 02/08/23 9:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

Good lord no. Remember when I said they could legally give Stewart/Sloot a max of $364,514? Well they gave them $364,000. Without trades this is a thoroughly 11-player roster.

Sorry, Richyyy. I didn't remember and obviously should have simply written down what you wrote earlier. I appreciate this clarification.

An 11-player roster is more problematic this season given the tighter schedule due to more regular-season games. Plus we know that Johannes will probably miss perhaps three weeks' worth of games. Plus Vandersloot may need to miss occasional games to get some rest. Plus, of course, it's likely there will be injuries and/or illness.

It'll be interesting to see what Kolb's next moves are.

PostPosted: 02/08/23 11:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Bob Lamm wrote:

I love the use of the word legally .

PostPosted: 02/09/23 1:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Kevin Durant Wants Breanna Stewart to Sign With WNBA’s Liberty

Nets forward Kevin Durant revealed that he has been texting Stewart trying to get her to sign with New York.

“I hit Stewie the other day, and I never do this, and was like, ‘Yo, it would be an incredible dynasty in New York City if you came here,’” Durant said. “I don’t she’s seen it yet.”

Durant is excited about the team that the Liberty are assembling.

“They cooking man, they doing their thing,” he said. “They bringing the best talent to New York. If they win a chip here, Barclays is gonna be jumping.

https://www.si.com/wnba/2023/01/30/kevin-durant-breanna-stewart-recruiting-pitch-liberty

Quote:
Suns acquiring Kevin Durant in blockbuster deal with Nets

Sources had told ESPN then that the Nets insisted to Durant and inquiring teams that the organization had no intention of moving him prior to Thursday's deadline.

Ishbia has been fully engaged in overseeing the Suns operation and aggressive in pursuing ways to make a major and immediate impact.

Durant -- who asked out and later rescinded a trade demand in the offseason -- held a strong interest in an offseason trade to the Suns, sources said.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35620592/phoenix-suns-acquiring-kevin-durant-blockbuster-deal-brooklyn-nets

I wonder if this happened a few weeks ago, Stewart might be joining the Mercury instead... Razz Wink

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/09/23 1:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Admiral_Needa wrote:
I wonder if this happened a few weeks ago, Stewart might be joining the Mercury instead... Razz Wink

LOL. I'm hoping that the Stewart-Jones-Vandersloot dynasty in my beloved city will be a little more successful than the Durant-Irving-Hardin dynasty. Smile

Whatever happens ON the court, I feel confident that none of my team's All Star newcomers will be anything like Kyrie Irving OFF the court. That's comforting!

PostPosted: 02/09/23 3:33 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This is funny, Kevin Durant a Mystics fan turncoats to the Liberty then gets traded to the Phoenix Suns. I hope the Liberty fans take note because the same thing will happen with Jones and Stewart when they find out there's no chance of a title with the Liberty.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 02/09/23 3:45 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
This is funny, Kevin Durant a Mystics fan turncoats to the Liberty then gets traded to the Phoenix Suns. I hope the Liberty fans take note because the same thing will happen with Jones and Stewart when they find out there's no chance of a title with the Liberty.

spoken like a true Thibault burner account

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/09/23 8:15 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

LOL, Stormeo.

A starting lineup of Stewart, Laney, Jones, Ionescu, and Vandersloot but "no chance" of a title. None. Zero. Nada. What if Sandy Brondello just doesn't play any of those five ever and goes with Onyenwere, Thornton, Dolson, Johannes, and Richards for 40 minutes each? I'll bet she hasn't considered that approach!

PostPosted: 02/09/23 8:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Bob Lamm wrote:
Stormeo wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

LOL, Stormeo.

A starting lineup of Stewart, Laney, Jones, Ionescu, and Vandersloot but "no chance" of a title. None. Zero. Nada. What if Sandy Brondello just doesn't play any of those five ever and goes with Onyenwere, Thornton, Dolson, Johannes, and Richards for 40 minutes each? I'll bet she hasn't considered that approach!

Names, names, names. They put on their sneakers just like the rest of the WNBA players. How many of you are going to bet the house the Liberty will win the 2023 WNBA Championship? Speak-up, Speak-up, show your post on this message board stating you're willing bet the house on the Liberty finally winning the WNBA Championship this upcoming season.

Bob Lamm

PostPosted: 02/09/23 9:54 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
Names, names, names. They put on their sneakers just like the rest of the WNBA players. How many of you are going to bet the house the Liberty will win the 2023 WNBA Championship? Speak-up, Speak-up, show your post on this message board stating you're willing bet the house on the Liberty finally winning the WNBA Championship this upcoming season.

There's just nothing like the bitterness of sports fans. Hilarious.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 10 of 18

Jump to: