RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Phoenix Mercury 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richyyy

PostPosted: 08/06/23 7:32 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Diggins-Smith is not suspended. And as stated multiple times, my information is that she will become an uncoreable unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, as normal.

PostPosted: 08/06/23 10:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Diggins-Smith is not suspended. And as stated multiple times, my information is that she will become an uncoreable unrestricted free agent at the end of the season, as normal.

So the contract suspension from last year has been lifted and changed to maternity leave? I kind of thought that it was just a different way to say the same thing.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/06/23 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

I don’t think the Suns organization called it a suspension with Crowder either. There was a coaching conflict, the GM took the side of the coach - and sent the player home with no access to anything outside of the checks. Seems like it’s not horribly uncommon in the NBA, and maybe we’ll see it more in the WNBA.

Imo, it doesn’t have anything by to do with Skylar’s pregnancy..bridges were burned last season via the coach..and they took the coach’s side.

PostPosted: 08/06/23 10:51 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

I don’t think the Suns organization called it a suspension with Crowder either. There was a coaching conflict, the GM took the side of the coach - and sent the player home with no access to anything outside of the checks. Seems like it’s not horribly uncommon in the NBA, and maybe we’ll see it more in the WNBA.

Imo, it doesn’t have anything by to do with Skylar’s pregnancy..bridges were burned last season via the coach..and they took the coach’s side.

It sounds to me like SDS is/has been ready to come back and PHO is locking her out. And if her contract isn't suspended, it sounds like PHO is denying her access to all of the things that other players under contract are receiving.

It's looking to me like PHO is the bad guy here that isn't upholding their end of the deal.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/06/23 11:41 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

It sounds to me like SDS is/has been ready to come back and PHO is locking her out. And if her contract isn't suspended, it sounds like PHO is denying her access to all of the things that other players under contract are receiving.

It's looking to me like PHO is the bad guy here that isn't upholding their end of the deal.

I want to be clear - I don’t like this new trend. I don’t like it in men’s basketball and I don’t like it in women’s basketball either.

But the only thing a team really owes a player is a check. Skylar is getting that. The Mercury are allowed to decide that Skylar has a negative impact on her team and send her home - as long as they pay her. But I think it’s something that the players (both in the NBA and WNBA) need to look at. As I don’t like an organization being able to do that to a players career.

Now, I have to say, in the case of Crowder - the players universally disagreed with the decision, and the choice ended up hurting the team. The Suns spun a story that Crowder was unhappy coming off the bench which ended up not being true, and in fact he was just one of several (like half 🤣) players not getting along with Monty Williams. Who took the biggest punishment because of it.

I think the Mercury would be better off with Skylar this year too..and the Crowder situation is just eerily similar, especially in the same organization.

PostPosted: 08/06/23 11:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

You can't be suspended for getting pregnant. You especially can't be suspended for being pregnant these days when the WNBPA made increased rights for pregnant players a significant issue in the last CBA negotiations. She's on the Pregnancy/Childbirth list, like Achonwa and KLSamuelson, and Hebard was.

The denial of access stuff is weird. As mercfan3 mentions, we've seen a bunch of times in the NBA where teams have basically said "we'll keep paying you, but unless and until we find a trade for you, please go the fuck away". It felt like something similar was happening here, and everyone was going to quietly let her deal expire, and then she started talking on Twitter this week. Doesn't sound like Phoenix have handled it particularly well, but until the last few days they probably thought it was all going to trickle away nice and quietly.

PostPosted: 08/06/23 12:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

Whenever it's between a player and management, I'm taking the player's side.

My team no longer exists, so I'll have to settle for hating yours.
shontay33

PostPosted: 08/06/23 1:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mercfan3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Bridges were burned? Interesting. They fired the coach so obviously Diggins-Smith wasn’t wrong in her assessment. Even BG recognized that a change needed to be made.
Not good when your star players see that a change needs to be made.

shontay33

PostPosted: 08/06/23 1:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
You can't be suspended for getting pregnant. You especially can't be suspended for being pregnant these days when the WNBPA made increased rights for pregnant players a significant issue in the last CBA negotiations. She's on the Pregnancy/Childbirth list, like Achonwa and KLSamuelson, and Hebard was.

The denial of access stuff is weird. As mercfan3 mentions, we've seen a bunch of times in the NBA where teams have basically said "we'll keep paying you, but unless and until we find a trade for you, please go the fuck away". It felt like something similar was happening here, and everyone was going to quietly let her deal expire, and then she started talking on Twitter this week. Doesn't sound like Phoenix have handled it particularly well, but until the last few days they probably thought it was all going to trickle away nice and quietly.

She responded to a fan. It isn’t like she jumped on Twitter randomly and started bashing the Mercury. I agree, the Mercury didn’t handle this well at all. However, I do think there is some bias. Had it been DT in this situation, they would do like they are doing now and make sure she has whatever she needs. The Mercury tend to treat certain players differently than others.

hyperetic

PostPosted: 08/07/23 2:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

When I first read the article, I wondered whether, her access was curtailed because of health issues pertaining to her pregnancy and well being post birth. But then I thought, "Wouldn't they let her know it was the case?" Then I thought there might be some high level pettiness going on on the part of the organization. But I wondered if it was that serious?
mercfan3

PostPosted: 08/07/23 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
mercfan3 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Bridges were burned? Interesting. They fired the coach so obviously Diggins-Smith wasn’t wrong in her assessment. Even BG recognized that a change needed to be made.
Not good when your star players see that a change needs to be made.

Again, the Suns did the same thing. (This was before Ishbia, and James Jones is involved with both teams - so this is how I think he handles things) literally half the team hated Monty Williams pretty clearly; and then they fired him so clearly KD and Booker were at least indifferent. For the Merc, I don’t think Taurasi was particularly thrilled with Nygaard either, and I especially don’t think Turner was..

PostPosted: 08/13/23 3:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:

I am not a Mercury fan and I am not a UConn fan. I used to admire Skylar's game but her juvenile self centered behavior has ruined her for me. Not sure if she's MORE self absorbed than Liz, but they're both in a league of their own. The way she pouted when she barely got on the court for the US National Team sealed the deal for me. I mean, at least Swin Cash just grabbed her gold medal and looked happy doing it.

Me too, I was really digging her game and personality in college. But, something changed in the W. She is annoying af. Not every gripe needs to be sent to social media. A bad hotel room in Vegas, comparing nba player salaries, clown emoji's, flights, etc, etc, she along with a few other players in the league seriously need to chill, and handle things in-house, or with their union.

PostPosted: 08/13/23 3:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It's too bad DT is on the books for another season... Phoenix needs to tear the whole thing down to the frame, and start over. BG is probably gone, and Diggins-Smith, for sure. The front office will have their work cut out for them.

I would like to see Skylar in Indy. That's a young squad that needs a leader that can help them close games out for a win.

PostPosted: 08/13/23 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChicagoAnnie wrote:
I would like to see Skylar in Indy. That's a young squad that needs a leader that can help them close games out for a win.

I agree that a leader will likely be the final piece of the puzzle after they add another lottery pick to the roster next year.
Not sure Skylar is the player I'd be going for if I was the GM, but I guess that depends on what other options they have.

I'd like to think that the Fever would be an attractive team to play for, given the talent they are accumulating. It seems like Indianapolis is not exactly a bucket list city to live in though.

PostPosted: 08/14/23 8:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Still don’t understand why they parted ways with Sandy, especially coming off a finals appearance. Nygaard was a disastrous hire for them, yes the whole BG situation would’ve been tough for any first year coach to handle, but I believe Becky, T Wright, or even Latricia Tramell could’ve navigated the team better than Nygaard.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 08/14/23 9:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Skylar should not make any response on social media. No one should know how she feels inside. Don't make comments. Don't do interviews. Just shut up and dribble.
I am being sarcastic.

PostPosted: 08/14/23 2:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
Still don’t understand why they parted ways with Sandy, especially coming off a finals appearance. Nygaard was a disastrous hire for them, yes the whole BG situation would’ve been tough for any first year coach to handle, but I believe Becky, T Wright, or even Latricia Tramell could’ve navigated the team better than Nygaard.

I think they thought they could do better than Sandy, then they realized the pool isn't as great as they thought it would be.

Not exactly, but similar to how people her say fire this coach or that coach or waive this player or why did that player make the team, but can't name someone that would actually be a legitimate replacement. Just because there are better in the world doesn't mean they are interested or a fit for every position out there.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 08/14/23 5:47 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:

I think they fired Sandy because, with the exception of 2014, this team wasn’t getting over the hump and something had to change. Granted, the GM backed this team into a corner with trading every draft pick for the next 20 years for aging vets but they had to try something different. Running it back with DT, BG and Sandy wasn’t going to work. Sandy got a lot of heat her last few years but the team always willed it’s way to the playoffs and even got to the finals in Sandy’s last season. I think Sandy’s cushy landing spot in Ny has warped the narrative a bit on her last few years in Phoenix.

And to be fair, I think PHX did pursue Becky, Weatherspoon and Trammel but ultimately went with Nygaard. Not sure if they pursued Wright but wasn’t she already in ATL when they let Sandy go?

I do wonder what they’ll do in offseason. Blue seems fine but they need to swing for the fences for what (hopefully) is Diana’s last season. Get Weatherspoon, wheel and deal anything and everything that isn’t DT and BG and make a final push.

shontay33

PostPosted: 08/15/23 10:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Luuuc wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

I agree that a leader will likely be the final piece of the puzzle after they add another lottery pick to the roster next year.
Not sure Skylar is the player I'd be going for if I was the GM, but I guess that depends on what other options they have.

I'd like to think that the Fever would be an attractive team to play for, given the talent they are accumulating. It seems like Indianapolis is not exactly a bucket list city to live in though.

Love SDS just not on my Fever. We need to continue to keep our young core together. Wheeler and Cannon are enough as far as veterans. If we bring in a caliber player like SDS that means that our younger players will be held back.

If SDS plays next season,it will probably be on a veteran team that is built to win now.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 08/15/23 11:42 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

shontay33 wrote:
Luuuc wrote:
ChicagoAnnie wrote:

Love SDS just not on my Fever. We need to continue to keep our young core together. Wheeler and Cannon are enough as far as veterans. If we bring in a caliber player like SDS that means that our younger players will be held back.

If SDS plays next season,it will probably be on a veteran team that is built to win now.

I see Diggins-Smith in LA or Atl.

Atl with Diggins-Smith, A. Gray, Howard and Ch. Parker would be real good!

Iluvacc

PostPosted: 08/16/23 5:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:

Pilight, what do you think about this?

pilight

PostPosted: 08/16/23 5:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Iluvacc wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:

Pilight, what do you think about this?

I would love to have Diggy in Atlanta. I wanted her here from day one.

PostPosted: 08/17/23 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Please remember and consider that Taurasi runs the team, makes most of the decisions and controls what the other players think, say and do. She is the leader, instigator and propaganda manager of the team.

SDS is a Caly-girl. She's big time Holly girl life style. Future plans benefit her in LA and the team can use her. Miller's OK with high maintenance players and
Ogwumike sisters will welcome her.

No to Minneapolis, Reeves doesn't do well with high maintenance and strong minded players and leaders.

Atlanta would fit but she's in for more than playing on a basketball team in Georgia...she's Hollywood. She's ESPN material. No room in NY or LV for now.

Seattle might be in the running...Left coast, high draft pick maybe and Mamba stays.

However, guess is LA, at this time.

What's yours?

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 08/17/23 4:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Please remember and consider that Taurasi runs the team, makes most of the decisions and controls what the other players think, say and do. She is the leader, instigator and propaganda manager of the team.

SDS is a Caly-girl. She's big time Holly girl life style. Future plans benefit her in LA and the team can use her. Miller's OK with high maintenance players and

No to Minneapolis, Reeves doesn't do well with high maintenance and strong minded players and leaders.

Atlanta would fit but she's in for more than playing on a basketball team in Georgia...she's Hollywood. She's ESPN material. No room in NY or LV for now.

Seattle might be in the running...Left coast, high draft pick maybe and Mamba stays.

What's yours?

Remember when DT called LA a shitshow ....now there's only one show in this league and it resides in PHX.

PostPosted: 08/17/23 7:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA 09 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

What's yours?

Remember when DT called LA a shitshow ....now there's only one show in this league and it resides in PHX.

LA was a total shitshow under Fisher but they finally booted his ass.

~rAf
Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 11 of 12

Jump to: