RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Womens Basketball Discord chat
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we start a Discord chat?
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 13 ]
No
45%
 45%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 24

eibln

PostPosted: 08/23/22 8:24 am    ::: Re: Womens Basketball Discord chat Reply Reply with quote

greatgator wrote:
eibln wrote:
I was looking at making discord chat for this forum.

When you say "this forum" do you mean NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion?

The discord chat will be mostly based around college women’s basketball. However, we did create a spot for professional women’s basketball like the WNBA, Team USA, as well as any good other international teams that may come up. Now the discord’s main focus will be college women’s basketball, but we wanted to make sure that pro would be included.

Another nice feature in the discord is there is a spot wear you can claim your favorite college team and you will be added to what is called a role to show others what your favorite team may be. We will also consider being able to claim your favorite WNBA team.

Hope this helps!

summertime blues

PostPosted: 08/23/22 10:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm pretty firmly in the camp with Ex-Ref and Howee. And as I stated before, I do NOT need another damn app on my phone. Especially Discord.

PostPosted: 08/23/22 11:42 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Y'all, stay calm. No one is being forced to join the discord. I would like to kindly point out that the original poster was simply asking if there would be interest. I believe they deserve to be met with an open mind, even if you ultimately decide you'd rather just stick to RebKell's!

I'm personally confused why some posters are attacking increased accessibility as a negative thing. My most charitable explanation is that a simple misunderstanding has arisen about what discord is and how you can access it. Namely, that discord is just something for your phone.

Discord is *not* exclusively a phone app.

--You can access discord using an internet browser on any computer, just like you'd access RebKell's.

--You can also download discord as a desktop/laptop client, which eliminates the step of having to open the internet and type in "www.discord..." each time. This brings the advantage of using an *optional* notification setting so you can be alerted when someone has posted something in one of your favorite threads or responded to you directly, for example. If you see notifications as a toxic consequence of instant gratification culture, I see where you're coming from! You are more than welcome to turn the notification feature off. I personally envision myself turning notifications on for my favorite team (Iowa) but turning them off for South Carolina or UConn or Notre Dame, because I don't need to be instantly annoyed every time another one of you go on one of your tired blueblood tirades about the historical (un)fairness of various regional host sites. Razz (kidding... kind of Wink )

--And yes, you could also download the discord smartphone app for easy access that way, if you choose. But, no one would be *forced* to use their phone to participate in the discord. It is simply one of numerous options that some people may find convenient and others may not.

I can only see increased accessibility as a positive thing. Many posters have expressed sadness that forum participation has dwindled over time and a sense of perceived community has been lessened. Giving people more options in how to engage can only be a positive thing, in my humble view.

Secondly, I'd like to emphasize another positive aspect of using discord (or any more modern message board technology, for that matter) that I believe has been drowned out in a lot of the arguing: It would be SO much easier to share multimedia content like pictures, videos, news articles, tweets, and Instagram posts. Not to mention more trivial things like memes, GIFs, and emojis that keep banter with fellow fans fun and lively.

Let's take twitter, for example. Whether or not you use social media, like it or not, a lot of players, coaches, teams, and reporters do. A lot happens on twitter, whether it's something serious like a journalist breaking a story, or something silly like a player saying cryptic/melodramatic that us fanatics tend to gossip about. On RebKell's when you post the URL to a tweet, that's all it is: a boring URL. If you want to see it, you have to follow the link yourself. Half the time people say, "I can't see that because I don't have twitter." To get around that, the poster has to go to the trouble of copy/pasting the text or describing what it says, which grows cumbersome.

In discord, the content of the tweet would automatically show up so you can see it right there, whether or not you have a twitter account. The technology gets embedded directly into the thread without the reader or writer having to do extra work. (This also relates back to the accessibility point I was talking about earlier.)

Overall, you may not agree with all I've said or give two sh*ts about some of the features I described. That is totally fine! All I ask is that you read what I said with an open mind and graciously extend the benefit of the doubt regarding my goals, even if you disagree with the proposed means of achieving them. For all RebKell's flaws (and yes, let's not kid ourselves, there are many flaws), each of us is here because, one way or another, we value it enough to continue engaging. The goal of the discord would not be to destroy this community, but to enhance it.

PostPosted: 08/23/22 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

My point is, I don't want/need another app, particularly that one.

PostPosted: 08/23/22 2:13 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Imagine if some of y’all who were clearly “no” votes to the poll simply proceeded to keep your negative comments to yourself after that (if you even voted), smh

myrtle

PostPosted: 08/23/22 2:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
Imagine if some of y’all who were clearly “no” votes to the poll simply proceeded to keep your negative comments to yourself after that (if you even voted), smh

why should they? discussion is good. and if some of the negative stuff aired then gets answered, all the better.

Personally I'm kind of neutral but willing to give it a shot. For the fantasy game, it certainly made the draft easier to get instant chat rather than endlessly refreshing. And I don't have a cell phone, so used it for that off my desktop and it worked fine. I didn't install anything - just used the www.discord web site. I didn't stick around to see the other 'good' things being mentioned. I do think it would be good to have a site we can turn to in order to re-group if/when this board crashes, as it has done a few times. If it crashed permanently, that would be especially sad to lose all contact with you my bball friends.. JMO

ChiSky54

PostPosted: 08/23/22 2:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I'm glad to see that a pro aspect is being included since I don't follow WCBB. However, I might not join Discord (who picked that name? Laughing )

Using the phone is very cumbersome (and sometimes leads to inadvertent double-posts). I usually wait until I am at a PC to post because most tasks are easier with a keyboard and a larger screen!

I spend a lot of time online at work and personally, but there are only a handful of sites I subscribe to; I do a lot of lurking.

What I miss most on RebKell is discussion during the game threads, which has dropped off greatly. I joined the other site but never bookmarked it.
Because I am a creature of habit, I never consistently checked it out. Folks who stopped posting here were over there. Guess I need to check it out again!

Yes, this is a very out-of-date UI, and it looks like it's going to stay that way, which is unfortunate. But I don't plan to go away - this is like my BB home.

PostPosted: 08/23/22 3:07 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

summertime blues wrote:
My point is, I don't want/need another app, particularly that one.

This isn’t some point your making. You have been given another option which is accessible the same way you access Rebkell.

You don’t need to download an app on your phone to use discord. You can use your computer internet browser. Maybe try it.

eibln

PostPosted: 08/23/22 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ChiSky54 wrote:
I'm glad to see that a pro aspect is being included since I don't follow WCBB. However, I might not join Discord (who picked that name? Laughing )

Using the phone is very cumbersome (and sometimes leads to inadvertent double-posts). I usually wait until I am at a PC to post because most tasks are easier with a keyboard and a larger screen!

I spend a lot of time online at work and personally, but there are only a handful of sites I subscribe to; I do a lot of lurking.

What I miss most on RebKell is discussion during the game threads, which has dropped off greatly. I joined the other site but never bookmarked it.
Because I am a creature of habit, I never consistently checked it out. Folks who stopped posting here were over there. Guess I need to check it out again!

Yes, this is a very out-of-date UI, and it looks like it's going to stay that way, which is unfortunate. But I don't plan to go away - this is like my BB home.

In game threads/chats are much easier in discord. No constant refreshing. This site has fallen off greatly when it comes to in game posts. We are trying to provide a better option and a way to grow our basketball community and grow the fan base for womens basketball.

We are not asking you leave Rebkell, we haven’t asked that once. We ask you give discord a try and lurk on there as another option to talk womens basketball.

eibln

PostPosted: 08/23/22 3:17 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FOR THOSE OF YOU INTERESTED:

Stay tuned, we hope to have the invite link to the discord posted within the next 24 hours. We offer areas to talk both college and pro women’s basketball. As of right now we are currently looking to add one or two more admins/moderators, so let us know if that interests you. We are very excited to share this Discord server with you guys and hope that you will at least give it a chance for a little while. Discord is accessible through your phone via the Discord app or your computer via the Discord website or app. We encourage you to give it a try. If you come to not like Discord, the option to delete your account is always available. We are always taking new thoughts and ideas for the server. If you have any questions please let us know.

Eibln (Fishey06) & Coyotes (Lorcan)

toad455

PostPosted: 08/23/22 3:23 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
I see there was a WBBDaily reference on this thread. While I still lurk here from time to time, I tend to only post on there now. Why do I prefer it?

—Similar layout and overall functionality to rebs
—Hardly any lag time when posting/navigating the site
—Posts can be easily edited and deleted by the OP
—Inserting links like images, videos, gifs, and tweets is much easier & more straightforward
—Like any social media outlet, you can "like" another person's post if you want to acknowledge it without feeling like you have to respond
—There are only a few of us who regularly post, yet it truly feels like a real community over there
—There's no Area 51

And the most annoying poster on there might just be Yours Truly. 😇 Ironically, I only discovered WBBDaily when this site last crashed back almost exactly two years ago now. It may outlive this site if RebKell himself is the only one who can fix this site when it's down, honestly. Nothing lasts forever, after all.

Anyway, I think eibln's Discord idea is a great one and that eibln shouldn't be attacked/disparaged for posting it.

☝️☝️☝️☝️

Twitter: @TBRBWAY
ChiSky54

PostPosted: 08/23/22 3:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
We are not asking you leave Rebkell, we haven’t asked that once. We ask you give discord a try and lurk on there as another option to talk womens basketball.

That was understood - I know it's not an either/or. Some of the feedback I have seen was not based on what you included in your original invitation - at least the way I read it. I appreciate the clarity you and others have provided.

PostPosted: 08/23/22 6:01 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Marquette Fan wrote:
No opinion one way or another as I'm so out of touch I don't even know what Discord is Smile.

I had forgotten about the 'hidden ESPN board' though so that was a fun trip down memory lane...

Re: hidden board - me, too!

I have Discord for one cycling site where the users are part of the Patreons. I find it overwhelming due to of all of the hashtags, channels, topics, etc.. I guess I don’t use it enough to be nimbly following the things that are important to me.

Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/23/22 7:45 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

I voted. I voted no. I will not be silenced. Sorry, not sorry, if that bothers you.

I'm bothered by someone coming into Reb's place of 'business' and thinking that it's OK to announce a competing 'business.' And please don't allow yourself to be fooled as to what it is.

If this was Hank's House of Hot Dogs and eibln had stopped in and announced that they had a hot dog business down the street, how long do you think eibln would be welcome at Hank's??

The fact that this thread has been allowed to remain amazes me. The fact that so many are ok with the move amazes me even more.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
pilight

PostPosted: 08/23/22 8:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Possibly relevant

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/sky/ct-chicago-sky-wnba-fans-20220729-y74dvxg5trchnh3ij4l5e7uhhq-story.html

Quote:
PWRFWD has members from all over the world, and they congregate on the group’s Discord app, discussing WNBA games and vying for a chance at its courtside seats. They have two courtside tickets for every WNBA market, and members nominate people to win “the experience of a lifetime,” said Nadia Eke, PWRFWD’s head of community.

PostPosted: 08/23/22 10:24 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

I voted. I voted no. I will not be silenced. Sorry, not sorry, if that bothers you.

I'm bothered by someone coming into Reb's place of 'business' and thinking that it's OK to announce a competing 'business.' And please don't allow yourself to be fooled as to what it is.

If this was Hank's House of Hot Dogs and eibln had stopped in and announced that they had a hot dog business down the street, how long do you think eibln would be welcome at Hank's??

The fact that this thread has been allowed to remain amazes me. The fact that so many are ok with the move amazes me even more.

Maybe this thread has been left alone because there is no moderators and it really isn’t a relevant place anymore, how many new people do you really get on this site? The softball discord I am on has grown so much in a month, we have more people on it talking softball than we ever did on a run down chat board.

I have tried not even fight you one this, but I am kind of bothered by the disrespect towards me or anyone else that thinks a discord could be good. This isn’t some political or business battle. But it doesn’t surprise me that you act this way.

My whole point was to grow the community of women’s basketball, and you seem really opposed to that. Discord is a great way to grow it. Rebkell has been great for the time it’s been around, but Discord is just a better way to grow the community.

Have some respect for people.

eibln

PostPosted: 08/23/22 10:39 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

IT'S READY!

The time has come! After much hard work, we are happy to announce that the Discord chat is ready! We hope to see many of you join in the conversations on Discord. Please give it try. We are striving to grow the community of Women's Basketball. We are still looking for one or two more moderators/admins, if you are interested in being one. Thank you, Hope to see you guys on Discord!

Eibln (Fishey06) & Coyotes (Lorcan)

Just click the link to join!

https://discord.gg/Ckx6jJUe

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 08/23/22 11:10 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Maybe this thread has been left alone because there is no moderators and it really isn’t a relevant place anymore, how many new people do you really get on this site? The softball discord I am on has grown so much in a month, we have more people on it talking softball than we ever did on a run down chat board.

I have tried not even fight you one this, but I am kind of bothered by the disrespect towards me or anyone else that thinks a discord could be good. This isn’t some political or business battle. But it doesn’t surprise me that you act this way.

My whole point was to grow the community of women’s basketball, and you seem really opposed to that. Discord is a great way to grow it. Rebkell has been great for the time it’s been around, but Discord is just a better way to grow the community.

Growing a community of women's basketball fans is not enabled by going to another women's basketball forum and telling them they're not relevant and your site is better, and then telling them to have respect.

eibln

PostPosted: 08/23/22 11:16 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
eibln wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

Growing a community of women's basketball fans is not enabled by going to another women's basketball forum and telling them they're not relevant and your site is better, and then telling them to have respect.

It sounds like you completely missed my point. I am saying that discord can be used to grow the community beyond just this site. More people know about discord and how to use it more than this site. I have been disrespected by certain people since posting the idea. We are trying to get some people on this site to also join on discord, there is nothing saying you can't do both. Growing is important beyond the same ten people on this site.

GlennMacGrady

PostPosted: 08/23/22 11:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:

The fact that this thread has been allowed to remain amazes me.

Spot on, Ex-Ref! The only conclusion I can draw is that the powers that be of this site simply don't care if it disappears or they affirmatively want it to.

Discord reminds me of a gussied-up 1990's AOL chatroom, with instant messaging and the ability for a lot of people to talk to each other all at once. I don't think many of the remaining older folks here are likely to be interested in that kind of rapid-fire social interaction.

The forum functionality that this site lacks, which was fairly described by Coyotes, can be solved by migrating the forum to a modern community discussion platform such as Xenforo, which has a chat room function for things like game threads and all sorts of inter-media connectivity, while still retaining the organization, the thread archives, and ease of topic and thread searchability and researchability of a classic discussion forum.

I have performed such a migration on the successful discussion site I own (on a completely different topic), but it takes some money. Thankfully, my site has never had an advertisement in it's 11 years and is completely supported by voluntary member contributions. My members are not at all interested in superficial social banter, so I've never even turned on the chatroom or profile posting functions, among others. We have the top SEO in our niche.

The way to preserve this site, its archives, and the in-depth discussion format, while adding a whole lot of modern functionality, is for someone to acquire the site from the owner (Reb Kelly) and then to migrate the entire database to a modern community discussion platform. Either with their own money or from contributions. It doesn't cost that much.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/24/22 7:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

eibln wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

What a great way to start my day. Laughing Laughing

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
Ex-Ref

PostPosted: 08/24/22 7:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

FrozenLVFan wrote:
eibln wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

+1

eibln

PostPosted: 08/24/22 7:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Ex-Ref wrote:
FrozenLVFan wrote:
eibln wrote:
Ex-Ref wrote:
Stormeo wrote:

+1

It seems that you refuse to reply to anything I say but only responding to the things help your cause. I have given countless reasons about what the discord is for and how it can be helpful. I have also stated many times that we are not trying to run anyone off of this site or disrespect Rebkell, we are simply offering another board to help grow the community on a platform that is much more well known. We are trying to grow the community of women's basketball. When stated that this platform isn't relevant, it was more or less stating that this site is struggling to gain any attention to grow the community, not hardly any new faces maybe one or two a year? Don't you want a bigger community, more friendly faces, more discussions? Or are you gonna make this all about how we disrespected Rebkell by offering a way to grow our community outside of the ten or so same posters here. We meant no harm to Rebkell by simply asking a questions and creating something to help.

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 08/24/22 9:25 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

GlennMacGrady wrote:
It doesn't cost that much.

I think that might be kind of a "Your mileage may vary" thing, particularly if the entire contents are to be retained. From what I've been told, anyway.

--

Btw this discussion does not need multiple threads.

PostPosted: 08/24/22 4:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:

Who are you to dictate who can speak? I voted no and you can't tell anyone to speak or not.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: