Indiana Fever 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormeo

PostPosted: 04/26/23 10:50 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
Fever waive Emily Engstler.

Another year, another wasted lottery pick.

unless she got arrested for doing something violent, i maintain: sell the damn team, Herb

(well, i guess i'd keep saying that regardless, but that's beside the point)

Last edited by Stormeo on 04/26/23 11:27 am; edited 2 times in total
chadb

PostPosted: 04/26/23 11:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There HAS to be more to this story? If not, this just doesn't make sense to me. She should get picked up quickly unless....there is more to the story

myrtle

PostPosted: 04/26/23 11:35 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chadb wrote:
There HAS to be more to this story? If not, this just doesn't make sense to me. She should get picked up quickly unless....there is more to the story

agree. she definitely showed she can contribute.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/26/23 12:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Damn. That's a bit sad.

She reportedly has a back injury

PostPosted: 04/26/23 1:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I don't know the ins and outs of statuses. If she came to camp injured, could she have been suspended? Or was it active roster or waived regardless?

SPD

PostPosted: 04/26/23 1:11 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
SPD wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Damn. That's a bit sad.

Oh man...

https://twitter.com/TEastNBA/status/1651253676235804674

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 04/26/23 1:33 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
pilight wrote:
SPD wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Damn. That's a bit sad.

Oh man...

https://twitter.com/TEastNBA/status/1651253676235804674

This is only the beginning of the Brutal WNBA cuts we see this training camp. Until expansion or extra roster spots are permitted expect things like this on the norm. Yes she's hurt and will definitely see another game in the W in her future but still sucks to see for EE.

PostPosted: 04/26/23 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
I don't know the ins and outs of statuses. If she came to camp injured, could she have been suspended? Or was it active roster or waived regardless?

If she had clearly gotten hurt overseas and as a result couldn't fulfil her WNBA contract, then yes she could be suspended (as we've already seen this season with Steph Talbot in LA, for example). But it sounds like this one's a bit murkier in terms of what the injury is and when it may have happened (I have no inside information here, just reading the same tweets as anyone else). So their options may have been limited.

PostPosted: 04/26/23 2:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

If she had clearly gotten hurt overseas and as a result couldn't fulfil her WNBA contract, then yes she could be suspended (as we've already seen this season with Steph Talbot in LA, for example). But it sounds like this one's a bit murkier in terms of what the injury is and when it may have happened (I have no inside information here, just reading the same tweets as anyone else). So their options may have been limited.

...or perhaps someone didn't actually know their options. It would have made a lot more sense if they could have suspended her rather than losing someone who has potential to be a starter in the future.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/26/23 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Richyyy wrote:
PUmatty wrote:

...or perhaps someone didn't actually know their options. It would have made a lot more sense if they could have suspended her rather than losing someone who has potential to be a starter in the future.

It's a pretty basic rule (until you get into the exact minutiae of when an injury happened), so I doubt it. They basically used it last year to suspend the injured Chelsey Perry and retain her rights, albeit that ended up pointless given they cut her recently.

PostPosted: 04/26/23 3:36 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

then they obviously think she's easily replaced by someone on that roster, maybe Rennia Davis.

Any word on if Hatar is coming this year? If so, they'll have a major logjam in the post. Williams and Saxton have close to a zero chance of making the team anyway.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 04/26/23 4:44 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Any word on if Hatar is coming this year?

She signed a contract, so I imagine they're expecting her. Hungary qualified for EuroBasket though, so I don't know what difference that might make.

PostPosted: 05/01/23 10:06 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The Mystics have signed Emily Engstler to a training camp contract.

pilight

PostPosted: 05/03/23 1:06 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fever waive Rennia Davis

PostPosted: 05/03/23 1:18 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Per Kareem Copeland Washington Post:

Emily Engstler was the No. 4 overall pick last year. Acknowledged the release did make her wonder what she did wrong. What more could she have done? But credits those close to her for keeping her in a good mental space. Learned quickly about the business of basketball.

https://twitter.com/kareemcopeland/status/1653818971429150720

pilight

PostPosted: 05/09/23 1:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fever waive LaDazhia Williams

PostPosted: 05/13/23 7:59 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I just watched Mystics/ Lynx on you tube . Engstler played very well . She didn't have any physical problems. I am really puzzled as to why Indy cut her

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/13/23 10:46 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

There was at least a bit of an injury with Engstler, apparently - https://twitter.com/jennhatfield1/status/1654676906543816704?s=20 . But clearly doesn't seem like that was enough to be the only reason Indy cut her. Also surprised she cleared waivers to allow Washington to pick her up as a free agent. If there were no issues or red flags, why wasn't someone like Seattle or Phoenix or Atlanta putting in a claim?

PostPosted: 05/13/23 12:38 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Freddy Fever has to be the most annoying mascot ever. Always in the crowd during playing play blocking the view and touching the fans.

One of the reasons I dropped my Fever season tickets.

“Thank you for showing the fellas that you've got more balls than them,” Haley said, to cheers from the crowd.
PUmatty

PostPosted: 05/16/23 12:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Indiana waived Destanni Henderson.

I know people are going to freak out about this, but I think it is fine.

tfan

PostPosted: 05/16/23 12:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:

Emily Engstler was the No. 4 overall pick last year. Acknowledged the release did make her wonder what she did wrong. What more could she have done? But credits those close to her for keeping her in a good mental space. Learned quickly about the business of basketball.

Like most cuts, she doesn't have to do anything wrong. Just being smaller than WNBA 4s and slower than WNBA 3s can be enough. She has a good attitude and intensity. Try doing drills to shake a defender and get off a quick accurate shot.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 05/16/23 1:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

tfan wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Like most cuts, she doesn't have to do anything wrong. Just being smaller than WNBA 4s and slower than WNBA 3s can be enough. She has a good attitude and intensity. Try doing drills to shake a defender and get off a quick accurate shot.

Cutting a top-4 pick, after one year, and especialy without even letting her come to training camp in the second year, is still a very unusual move. This isn't just another random college kid failing to make a team and their school's fans whining about it. You can understand why people thought there had to be more to it.

PostPosted: 05/16/23 1:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I have a feeling neither party (the Fever front office nor Englster) have been entirely transparent about what led to her being cut.

PostPosted: 05/16/23 1:20 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If I'm Bibb im on Destanni Henderson's line right now with Indy waiving her for once she clears . I like VB but im just not 100% convinced she's a title team PG before Henderson .

PostPosted: 05/16/23 1:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
tfan wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:

Cutting a top-4 pick, after one year, and especialy without even letting her come to training camp in the second year, is still a very unusual move. This isn't just another random college kid failing to make a team and their school's fans whining about it. You can understand why people thought there had to be more to it.

Yes, very unusual. Apparently, the new head coach never saw her so the ax apparently came from the top.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: