RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Minnesota Lynx 2023
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scullyfu

PostPosted: 06/02/23 10:10 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
They are clearly tanking for a pg, it just sucks that Seattle is as well, and we know how much the league loves giving them the top pick.

What makes you think Seattle is tanking? They lost two superstars, Sue & Stewie. They have a lot of young players. They got steamrolled by last year’s champs (Aces), one of the Superteams, & only lost to the other Superteam, the revamped Libs by 8. The Dallas team was only a 4 point loss.

PostPosted: 06/02/23 10:27 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The tanking Narrative is so weird this early in the season . Where's the combined 2 year records thread ? Tanking should not be something practiced as most of the players people are tanking for have a covid year and can exercise that extra year anytime so unless you plan on tanking for the next 2 years back to back I'm not seeing the value and most likely the coach will be fired by the time the pick is drafted .

PostPosted: 06/02/23 10:52 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

If you genuinely tank, you can get a really nice player...if you win the lottery. But then you need 11 more new players to go with your new superstar, because you've poisoned the ones you already have by placing them in a culture where the focus is not on winning.

I think that the Lynx are sort of built to tank with the position of point guard and center so weak (although Dorka's first start was definitely encouraging). I guess that's OK, but if Reeve and the players aren't doing everything humanly possible to win with what they've got, I think they're doing themselves a great disservice. It's a terrible lesson for the players (especially the rookies) that can be hard to unlearn.

myrtle

PostPosted: 06/02/23 2:03 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

It is not in any player's dna to tank. They want to win. I think it's mostly just fans looking from the outside thinking tank, as kind of the brighter upside to sucking now. Similarly it's not in a coach's best interest to tank. You can make a case for management, but even that is iffy.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/02/23 2:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yeah, once the game starts, everyone out there is trying to win, essentially. There might be stages where your absolute priority isn't 100% to win that night - young players getting minutes in order to improve, for example, might not happen as much if the only target was winning on that specific night - but coaches and players are basically trying to win (or should be, anyway, as long as nothing dodgy is going on).

'Tanking' comes from how you construct the roster, or if someone's got a minor injury that you suggest they take their time making sure is completely gone rather than playing through some discomfort. For instance, I think it'd be totally reasonable for Seattle to not even want to sign Gabby Williams this season. They're not going to win anything either way. What's the difference if she helps you go 10-30 instead of 8-32? Work with your youngsters, figure out who's going to be any good in a couple of years, and swallow the losing. Is that tanking? Sure, kinda. Part of the game in a league that rewards losing.

PostPosted: 06/02/23 3:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Seattle is tanking, deal with it Stormies. The Lynx and Storm tanks are not as Blatant as the Tankury circa 2012 , but no team will ever be that shameless.

Fighting Artichoke

PostPosted: 06/02/23 5:27 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

HomerCecil wrote:
I admittedly haven't watched the Lynx this year, but why are they paying Aerial Powers $201,000 to play three minutes last night? She was so effective for Washington in 2019.

Seems to me that she is having a war of wills with Reeves. Perhaps she is not changing her play the way Reeves is demanding. Maybe one of the Lynx fans can comment.

J-Spoon

PostPosted: 06/02/23 7:37 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Plan a for Seattle was probably retain Stewart bring in Sloot grab some experienced role players like Nurse and Whitcomb and contend

Sloot, Loyd, Nurse, Stewart, magbegor
Whitcomb, Russell, pick #9 and some vet minimums is a strong team

When Stewart and Sloot decided on NY instead Seattle probably pivoted to a weaker roster ( maybe not even a pivot possibly all the top free agents they could have chased already committed elsewhere before they could pivot).

Minny knew Fowles was retiring but really didn’t have the cap to go big game hunting. Powers and McBride are too expensive for other teams to be interested. The pgs and centers they could have targeted stayed put or went to greener pastures.

In short Seattle and Minny are tanking based on current roster construction but both seemed to lack options or struck out on the options that would have kept them competitive

I realize they both could stay but Clark and Bueckers to Minn and Seattle is probably how I would script it if the league was produced and not random

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 06/03/23 11:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

dorka looking better against W posts than she did at UConn

Luuuc
#NATC

PostPosted: 06/04/23 1:14 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

snlMINAJ wrote:
dorka looking better against W posts than she did at UConn

All she needed was a good coach

Twisted Evil

PostPosted: 06/04/23 12:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Fighting Artichoke wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:
I admittedly haven't watched the Lynx this year, but why are they paying Aerial Powers $201,000 to play three minutes last night? She was so effective for Washington in 2019.

Seems to me that she is having a war of wills with Reeves. Perhaps she is not changing her play the way Reeves is demanding. Maybe one of the Lynx fans can comment.

Her +/- numbers are generally terrible when she plays.

shontay33

PostPosted: 06/04/23 1:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

mannman wrote:
Fighting Artichoke wrote:
HomerCecil wrote:

Her +/- numbers are generally terrible when she plays.

The +/- don't tell the entire story. I think that it is a war of wills with Reeves as well. She should be playing more minutes. They signed her because of her scoring ability. They also signed Mitchell but she is more of a slasher. If Reeves cant figure it out then she needs to either wave Powers or trade her. I'm quite sure that another team will sign her and pay her remaining salary.

Richyyy

PostPosted: 06/04/23 3:15 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hard to trade anyone in this league right now; especially hard to trade a mid-level player on a max salary.

PostPosted: 06/05/23 1:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Reeve is hard to figure out. If she likes a player for whatever reasons, she keeps and plays them, if she doesn't, she sometimes gets rid of them for little to nothing in return....

The thing that made Reeve was the league's poor leadership and management in the early years causing Reeve to get Maya Moore. Other top players came to Minnesota because they wanted to play with Maya and some even demanded being traded to get there. Without Maya Moore, Minnesota probably wouldn't have won any titles and Reeve being reveled as maybe a better coach and GM that she is...not meaning to infer that she's not good at her job in general.

I like that Reeve provides game day podcasts and keeps the fans and press informed of her team and decisions and I like that she's not afraid to say how she feels. I wish the other coaches and the WNBA would be so inclined and accommodating. WNBA.com has been and still is horrible!

Dorka, starting the last two games has made a difference. She and Shepard compliment one another well. Even Reeve said she played great but the way she's said it makes me wonder if Reeve likes her. Let's see what Reeve does next when Diamond returns to the lineup.

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 06/05/23 2:58 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I think Allen was passed by Dorka. So when Miller is back it’ll be dorka as 6th woman.

NYSports56

PostPosted: 06/05/23 6:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

RavenDog wrote:
Reeve is hard to figure out. If she likes a player for whatever reasons, she keeps and plays them, if she doesn't, she sometimes gets rid of them for little to nothing in return....

The thing that made Reeve was the league's poor leadership and management in the early years causing Reeve to get Maya Moore. Other top players came to Minnesota because they wanted to play with Maya and some even demanded being traded to get there. Without Maya Moore, Minnesota probably wouldn't have won any titles and Reeve being reveled as maybe a better coach and GM that she is...not meaning to infer that she's not good at her job in general.

I like that Reeve provides game day podcasts and keeps the fans and press informed of her team and decisions and I like that she's not afraid to say how she feels. I wish the other coaches and the WNBA would be so inclined and accommodating. WNBA.com has been and still is horrible!

Dorka, starting the last two games has made a difference. She and Shepard compliment one another well. Even Reeve said she played great but the way she's said it makes me wonder if Reeve likes her. Let's see what Reeve does next when Diamond returns to the lineup.

What was it about the way she said it that made you wonder? Not knowing anything else, I thought the fact that Reeve was willing to part ways with Dantas indicated that she liked Dorka.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 06/05/23 7:41 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

NYSports56 wrote:
RavenDog wrote:

What was it about the way she said it that made you wonder? Not knowing anything else, I thought the fact that Reeve was willing to part ways with Dantas indicated that she liked Dorka.

To me, it was acknowledged but lacked enthusiasm.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 06/08/23 2:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Not like the Lynx are going to vie for the championship or anything but to me, passing up both Sika Kone and Kalani Brown were big mistakes. Kone is young and appears to have a bright future and Brown is a 6'7" natural Center that has significantly improved and I believe was MVP of her league in Israel this last season? The Lynx have no natural Center on the team as Dorka and Jessica are both Forwards.

SPD

PostPosted: 06/14/23 12:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Emily Engstler signed to a hardship contract

https://twitter.com/minnesotalynx/status/1668999940561940481

snlMINAJ

PostPosted: 06/14/23 4:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Dumb

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 06/15/23 8:39 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SPD wrote:
Emily Engstler signed to a hardship contract

https://twitter.com/minnesotalynx/status/1668999940561940481

Another wing player at the 3/4 position without a true PG or Center Cheryl ? Hmmmmmmm this is a strange move but i wont call it "Dumb" unless a trade is a brewing Laughing Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: 06/15/23 10:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Don't be silly, you worry about the point guard or the center once you know whether you're getting Clark or Brink.

PostPosted: 06/15/23 7:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

cheryl insisted they aren't tanking. would love to see them sign sims if possible.

blaase22

PostPosted: 06/16/23 12:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Don't be silly, you worry about the point guard or the center once you know whether you're getting Clark or Brink.

Should have traded Miller on draft night for a chance to get both Clark and Brink:/.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 06/16/23 12:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

blaase22 wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

Should have traded Miller on draft night for a chance to get both Clark and Brink:/.

"I want a Clark Bar!" Do they still make this candy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: