RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

WNBA expansion could add 2 teams before 2024
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/14/22 10:00 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA reportedly will not announce expansion plans by the end of the year, still hopes team starts by 2025

https://sports.yahoo.com/wnba-reportedly-will-not-announce-expansion-plans-by-the-end-of-the-year-still-hopes-team-starts-by-2025-173931597.html

Quote:
“Look, if someone called me tomorrow and said, ‘Here’s a check, and we’re ready to go. And we have the financial model ready. And here’s our corporate sponsors, and we already have thousands of season-ticket holders; can we get it done for ’24?’ Yeah,” she said. “But I’m just trying to be more realistic. And I probably said that eight [to] 12 months ago and, again, COVID put us totally behind on all of this. I think we’d be in a better position. We raised the capital in February that we’re now deploying on the transformation and growing the league. I wouldn’t call it a delay."

Allegedly 10 ownership groups are being considered.

Stormeo

PostPosted: 12/15/22 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

i see that that article says "[Engelbert] confirmed the league is considering ten ownership groups". did the reporter just misunderstand her when she was talking about – or maybe she herself was just actually talking about – the ten narrowed-down cities though determined in september? massive difference between ten ownership groups vs. just ten cities as i see it. or maybe they all go hand in hand.

let's hope there really are ten potential ownership groups the league has been in talks with and find viable at this point.

johnjohnW

PostPosted: 12/15/22 12:21 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Stormeo wrote:
i see that that article says "[Engelbert] confirmed the league is considering ten ownership groups". did the reporter just misunderstand her when she was talking about – or maybe she herself was just actually talking about – the ten narrowed-down cities though determined in september? massive difference between ten ownership groups vs. just ten cities as i see it. or maybe they all go hand in hand.

let's hope there really are ten potential ownership groups the league has been in talks with and find viable at this point.

I think the reporter likely didn't understand the difference. I find it hard to believe there are ten ownership groups out there and not one or two are ready to go. Her quote seems to suggest that no potential ownership groups have their ducks in a row.

Who knows, though, as this process is intentionally vague. I guess we will know once the franchises are awarded.

A bummer there won't be news soon, though.

wnbafan

PostPosted: 12/15/22 7:36 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

chadb wrote:
"Some" discussion on Phillys desire for a team and where they might play

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/wnba-expansion-philadelphia-arena-attendance-20221214.html

I would love for a team to come to Philly. I have been a fan of the Mystics since 1999 and used to be a STH until I moved to northern Maryland and now Delaware. I miss attending games, South Philly is close enough for me to attend games.

PostPosted: 12/15/22 9:55 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

wnbafan wrote:
chadb wrote:

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/wnba-expansion-philadelphia-arena-attendance-20221214.html

I would love for a team to come to Philly. I have been a fan of the Mystics since 1999 and used to be a STH until I moved to northern Maryland and now Delaware. I miss attending games, South Philly is close enough for me to attend games.

I currently live in Philly. I would love a team here.

chadb

PostPosted: 12/15/22 6:48 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
wnbafan wrote:
chadb wrote:

I currently live in Philly. I would love a team here.

So do I - I'll fight you for the first season tickets bought Smile

Queenie

PostPosted: 12/15/22 11:46 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Philly's easier than Connecticut at this point, let's gooooooooo

PostPosted: 04/05/23 12:02 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

with the NWSL having announced their Bay Area team within the past couple days, Megdal had a conversation on his podcast (YouTube link here) about the economics of that move (14:00 mark) and how it being announced before a W expansion Bay Area team is not exactly a pleasant surprise (17:43 mark).

Rick Welts, former Warriors exec who's part of the investor group for the NWSL's Bay Area team, had this to say when being interviewed for it:

Quote:
“My biggest regret is not bringing a WNBA team with the Warriors,” he said. “We had seven years between moving to San Francisco and the Chase Center, and there just wasn’t enough bandwidth for another project. I hope (a WNBA team) does happen; it would be a wonderful addition. But I am disappointed it didn’t, and it’s an added pleasure to be a part of the (only) women’s pro franchise” in the Bay Area.

Pain.

RavenDog

PostPosted: 04/08/23 6:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Philly's always been my choice for expansion too. The city of Brotherly Love. Everybody hates Philly and Philly hates everybody but Philly. Makes for a good franchise..

My favorite is a Philly Cheese Steak...hard to find good ones in other places.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/13/23 10:34 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Engelbert thinks it's already too late to add teams for 2024

https://twitter.com/GalPalSports/status/1643640158095302659

PostPosted: 04/13/23 7:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

I imagine it’s more a lack of a viable ownership group than timelines. We’ve had teams up and move overnight in the offseason. There’s no reason they could grant expansion teams for 2024 if there was a viable ownership group.

And1

PostPosted: 04/14/23 8:03 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

I imagine it’s more a lack of a viable ownership group than timelines. We’ve had teams up and move overnight in the offseason. There’s no reason they could grant expansion teams for 2024 if there was a viable ownership group.

It's baffling, really. If there actually is a lack of viable ownership groups, that is. Anyone can see that women's basketball is on the rise with the spikes in viewership in recent years, especially this year in the NCAA tournament. If I were an investor with the means, I would jump on right quick. The next couple years are going to be a bonanza in women's basketball exposure with the new "super teams" in the league, the Olympics and new college talent priming themselves to enter the league with their increased exposure due to NIL. I mean look at the NCAA viewership records being obliterated, rivaling the NBA. There are big bucks waiting to be made. The 2024 and 2025 drafts could be a boon for the league, but if expansion doesn't happen soon, there will be no place for these players.

pilight

PostPosted: 04/14/23 9:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

Considering how people are falling all over themselves to get in on NWSL expansion it seems unlikely there is a lack of interest from potential owners.

PostPosted: 04/14/23 11:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

TheCommish in her pre-draft presser said the machinations of an expansion draft & the Olympics break next season would need to be addressed first. Basically, she doesn’t want to expand & the excitement that creates in new markets only to break the momentum with the month long break. She doesn’t want to set up the new owners for failure.

So it seems 2025 is the plan.

PostPosted: 04/14/23 12:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Where does she say 2025?...... She said 2025-ish...Then says 2-4 years down the line.......I think she's full of BS and is already interviewing for her next job.

WNBA Presidents and Commissioners

Val Ackerman, 1997–2005
Donna Orender, 2005–2010
Chris Granger, 2011 (interim)
Laurel J. Richie, 2011–2015
Lisa Borders, 2015–2018
Mark Tatum, 2018–2019 (interim)
Cathy Engelbert, 2019–present

StevenHW

PostPosted: 04/14/23 6:19 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

zune69 wrote:
Where does she say 2025?...... She said 2025-ish...Then says 2-4 years down the line.......I think she's full of BS and is already interviewing for her next job.

WNBA Presidents and Commissioners

Val Ackerman, 1997–2005
Donna Orender, 2005–2010
Chris Granger, 2011 (interim)
Laurel J. Richie, 2011–2015
Lisa Borders, 2015–2018
Mark Tatum, 2018–2019 (interim)
Cathy Engelbert, 2019–present

X_______X

PostPosted: 04/15/23 12:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

Where does the new NBA CBA come into play? At least a few NBA players have expressed an interest in ownership in the W. With the new CBA, they are allowed to right? It goes into effect July 1, 2023.
johnjohnW

PostPosted: 04/15/23 11:48 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
johnjohnW wrote:
pilight wrote:

Considering how people are falling all over themselves to get in on NWSL expansion it seems unlikely there is a lack of interest from potential owners.

I don’t have the numbers but owning and operating aW team has to be significantly more expensive than an NWSL team, right?

ster II

PostPosted: 04/20/23 8:25 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

They better add 2 more teams, and SOON!! Come on Rhianna! Oprah! #LetsGo

tfan

PostPosted: 05/12/23 10:21 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA expansion is coming, but when and where?

Quote:
Toronto has long been on the list of cities thought to be in the mix. A week ago in an online forum with Sports Business Journal, Engelbert said she would like to see two more teams come into the league in the foreseeable future. The Bay Area; Toronto; Denver; Austin, Texas; Nashville, Tennessee; Charlotte, North Carolina; and Portland, Oregon, were some of the potential sites she mentioned

WNBA 09

PostPosted: 05/13/23 3:08 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The way the Toronto crowd showed up in full force has to make them a shoe in for expansion. That placed is filled to the rafters for a preaseason game. Not much marketing or publicity and it looks like a valid product to invest a team in . Shall we begin the Toronto expansion team nickname thread already ? Laughing Laughing

I’m going with the Toronto Condors . Subject to changed with years to go 😆

PostPosted: 05/13/23 3:14 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The way the Toronto crowd showed up in full force has to make them a shoe in for expansion. That placed is filled to the rafters for a preaseason game. Not much marketing or publicity and it looks like a valid product to invest a team in . Shall we begin the Toronto expansion team nickname thread already ? Laughing Laughing

I’m going with the Toronto Condors . Subject to changed with years to go 😆

PostPosted: 05/13/23 4:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

As I said on Twitter, Toronto Pterodactyls.

PostPosted: 05/13/23 4:43 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The 🐉 Dragons.

PostPosted: 05/15/23 2:28 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
As I said on Twitter, Toronto Pterodactyls.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: