RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

Hot Seat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/03/06 10:15 pm    ::: Hot Seat Reply Reply with quote

The talk about Kathy Olivier and her hopefully short time remaining at UCLA has me thinking about other coaching openings we might see. With the season close to half over some coaches could really benefit for some late-season success.

Lisa Stone - How long is Wisconsin going to wait for things to get turned around. Stone has yet to take the team to the NCAAs, and she doesn't look to this year as well.

Sharon Fanning - Has next to nothing to show for Latoya Thomas, and this year is really rough. Getting embarrassed at their own tournment earlier this year couldn't have helped, and it is hard to imagine them winning more than 1 or 2 SEC games.

Phyllis Mangina - Although Seton Hall appears to be happy to occassionally eek above .500. This year looks to be a really bad one and a good time to cut the cord.

Theresa Grentz - Deserves a spot on this list every year, but Illinois doesn't seem to care. I keep hoping that the success of the men's team will make them want success on the other side.

Cheryl Burnett is probably saved by injuries, but it is getting close to put up or shut up time at Michigan. Sue Walvius was on my list at the start of the season, but their record won't be too far under .500 due to an easy non-conference schedule. She might save herself. I also wondered about Carolyn Peck, put it looks like Florida might have turned the corner.

KatValeska

PostPosted: 01/03/06 10:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hate to say it, and I don't think anyone else cares, but the once proud St.Francis (PA.) Red Flash program has gone from being a forgone conclusion as NEC champs to NEC cupcakes under the watch of Jill Poe.
I reckon every coach deserves at least three full years, but this fall is a bit too far, too fast.

And again, from the nobody-else-cares department, Dan Durkin should have been replaced at Duquesne many a year ago.

pilight

PostPosted: 01/03/06 10:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

All the other major conference coaches who are struggling are fairly new at their schools. Schools seem to be turning over mediocre WCBB coaches faster than they used to, which is both a good and bad thing.

PostPosted: 01/03/06 10:52 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I didn't realize how far St. Francis had fallen. 0-11. How much is coaching and how much is losing Beth Swink?

In another smaller conference, Marni Dacko needs to go from UMass. She had a .400 record for the first three years and is 3-8 this year. A strange hire when it happened, and it really hasn't worked. I'd like to see the Minutewomen do well, and Dacko isn't going to get it done.

PalaceAthena

PostPosted: 01/03/06 10:55 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

ProfessorChaos06 wrote:
Hate to say it, and I don't think anyone else cares, but the once proud St.Francis (PA.) Red Flash program has gone from being a forgone conclusion as NEC champs to NEC cupcakes under the watch of Jill Poe.
I reckon every coach deserves at least three full years, but this fall is a bit too far, too fast.

And again, from the nobody-else-cares department, Dan Durkin should have been replaced at Duquesne many a year ago.

I care Professor. I've been wanting to see Durkin gone from Duquesne for years now. If only for selfish reasons so the Atlantic 10 can be a better conference and GW's RPI doesn't get dragged down in conference play.

And what is the deal with St. Franics? Where did Poe come from before she was hired for the Red Flash job?

KatValeska

PostPosted: 01/03/06 11:05 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PalaceAthena wrote:
ProfessorChaos06 wrote:

I care Professor. I've been wanting to see Durkin gone from Duquesne for years now. If only for selfish reasons so the Atlantic 10 can be a better conference and GW's RPI doesn't get dragged down in conference play.

And what is the deal with St. Franics? Where did Poe come from before she was hired for the Red Flash job?

Hey PA - long time no chat. How are the Empresses fairing these days?

Ironically, Poe was an assistant under Durkin prior to landing the job with the Red Flash.

PUMatty - Actually, it wasn't just Swink; that was a strong senior class St. Francis lost to graduation. Nevertheless, it was Poe's job to be prepared for their departure, and clearly, she was not, despite the natural advantage she has in recruiting over other NEC teams. I don't see them turning things around next year either - though Poe should be given the opportunity to do so before being dismissed.

PalaceAthena

PostPosted: 01/03/06 11:29 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hello PC,
Nice to see you posting, albeit under a new name.
The Empressess (the George Washington Colonials for those not privy to this inside joke) are doing farily well. Probably better than I expected. They're only 7-4 (with a win tonight), but have played a brutal non-conference schedule that includes Tennessee, Purdue, Virginia, N.C. State and Villanova (they beat Purdue and Villanova). The team is very young and not a really polished offensive team, but they play a stifling defense. Barring a collapse in conference play, I expect them to make the NCAA tournament.

Who are your teams these days, since I take it you're not really on the Duquesne bandwagon anymore?

rebkell
Site Admin

PostPosted: 01/03/06 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Quote:
Sharon Fanning - Has next to nothing to show for Latoya Thomas

I don't understand what that means?

KatValeska

PostPosted: 01/03/06 11:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

PalaceAthena wrote:
Hello PC,
Nice to see you posting, albeit under a new name.
The Empressess (the George Washington Colonials for those not privy to this inside joke) are doing farily well. Probably better than I expected. They're only 7-4 (with a win tonight), but have played a brutal non-conference schedule that includes Tennessee, Purdue, Virginia, N.C. State and Villanova (they beat Purdue and Villanova). The team is very young and not a really polished offensive team, but they play a stifling defense. Barring a collapse in conference play, I expect them to make the NCAA tournament.

Who are your teams these days, since I take it you're not really on the Duquesne bandwagon anymore?

Correct. Once the Duchesses extended Durkin's contract prior to last season, I got off that bandwagon so fast I nearly broke my neck.

As life gets busier and busier I've found it harder and harder to keep on with multiple teams. So now, I'm pretty much all about the Buffs - through thick and thin.

I am also keeping an eye on DU (Denver of the Sun Belt Conference, currently 6-5 heading into league play)) and plan on getting to one or two of their games at some point this season.

That's purty much it. Hope the world has been treating you kindly.

accommodatingly

PostPosted: 01/04/06 12:12 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

The GW schedule looked very tough. Are they the Empresses because if the United States were still a colony, we would be part of an empire, and GWU teams (bizarrely and ironically) are called the Colonials?

Do St Francis have injury problems?

UCSB has a terrible record, and nobody's calling for Mark French's head. Nor should anyone. Same with ODU and Wendy Larry. (I had no idea ODU were 2-5 going into their games against UNC and Tennessee.)

I do wonder about Cheryl Burnett at Michigan. Is her reputation as (too) tough on her players deserved? The mass exodus of Guevara-era players probably didn't help-- but it did give her a lot of recruiting opportunities: how well has she used them? Did her team get better between fall '04 and fall '05? Doesn't look like it. But she'll have at least one more year.

Lisa Stone at Wisconsin, I dunno. This was supposed to be the year they turned it around, bringing in decent posts to complement Anderson and Banks, and their record looks like they haven't done it. We'll see how they look in the Barn.

PUmatty

PostPosted: 01/04/06 1:49 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

rebkell wrote:
Quote:
Sharon Fanning - Has next to nothing to show for Latoya Thomas

I don't understand what that means?

That was an unfinished thought. The danger of too many things at once.

Has next to nothing to show for Latoya Thomas and Tan White being on her team.

bullsky

PostPosted: 01/04/06 7:42 am    ::: Re: Hot Seat Reply Reply with quote

PUmatty wrote:
Theresa Grentz - Deserves a spot on this list every year, but Illinois doesn't seem to care. I keep hoping that the success of the men's team will make them want success on the other side.

I'd love to get rid of Grentz. I think if she doesnt get a winning season this year or next year, i think she'll be gone. I want to give Marsha Frese a shot at the head coaching job at Illinois.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » NCAA Women's Basketball - General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: