RebKell's Junkie Boards
Board Junkies Forums

2023 WNBA Mock Draft
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 24, 25, 26  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/16/22 12:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

J-Spoon wrote:
I didn't know where to put this comment/discussion thought here was as good as any place.

When we talk about missed picks it is often from the perspective of someone being picked too high,

I am going to go in the other direction.
Is Jonquel Jones being a 6th pick one of the most missed picks of the last ten years?

She looks like a #1 pick to me and if Stewart wasn't in that draft she should have been #1, but falling to 6 in hindsight seems absurd.

picked ahead of her 2. Jefferson 3. Tuck 4. Banham 5. Powers

and not only was she passed over four times for clearly inferior players but she was also traded

I don't remember for who but I can't imagine that trade looks good in hindsight.

Yes, CT's selections of Tuck and Banham are among the biggest draft busts. They could have selected Jonquel and kept Chelsea. They already had Alyssa Thomas. Can you imagine a team with Chelsea, Jonquel and Alyssa?

~rAf
myrtle

PostPosted: 09/16/22 10:56 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Hindsight is always better than real time. I think it was difficult to evaluate JJ because she had gone to a 2nd tier school. But most of us did think MoJeff, Tuck, and Banham were stretches at the time.

Rock Hard

PostPosted: 09/17/22 10:24 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:
Hindsight is always better than real time. I think it was difficult to evaluate JJ because she had gone to a 2nd tier school. But most of us did think MoJeff, Tuck, and Banham were stretches at the time.

Tuck had an extensive injury history prior to being drafted. It was going to be a gamble for any team drafting her that she will stay healthy during her pro career.

PostPosted: 09/17/22 8:31 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

myrtle wrote:

George Washington University is a few blocks from the White House, the Mystics knew about Jonqual Jones and most likely would've drafted her at #6 in the 2016 WNBA Draft if the Sun didn't trade up

readyAIMfire53

PostPosted: 09/18/22 12:56 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

SportsGuru wrote:
myrtle wrote:

George Washington University is a few blocks from the White House, the Mystics knew about Jonqual Jones and most likely would've drafted her at #6 in the 2016 WNBA Draft if the Sun didn't trade up

The Sun did not draft Jonquel Jones. They wasted their picks on Tuck and Banham. Fortunately for both the Sun and the Sparks, both teams knew Chelsea Gray's value and both teams benefitted from the trade of Gray for Jones.

~rAf
SportsGuru

PostPosted: 09/18/22 9:05 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

readyAIMfire53 wrote:
SportsGuru wrote:
myrtle wrote:

The Sun did not draft Jonquel Jones. They wasted their picks on Tuck and Banham. Fortunately for both the Sun and the Sparks, both teams knew Chelsea Gray's value and both teams benefitted from the trade of Gray for Jones.

Jonquel Jones never played for the LA Sparks, she was drafted by the Sparks for the Sun, the Sun/Sparks trade allowed the Sun to move 1 draft spot ahead of the Mystics.

https://www.wnba.com/2016-wnba-draft/#/panel2-1

barryi22

PostPosted: 09/19/22 1:22 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

[quote="readyAIMfire53"][quote="J-Spoon"]I didn't know where to put this comment/discussion thought here was as good as any place.

When we talk about missed picks it is often from the perspective of someone being picked too high,

Is Jonquel Jones being a 6th pick one of the most missed picks of the last ten years?

She looks like a #1 pick to me and if Stewart wasn't in that draft she should have been #1, but falling to 6 in hindsight seems absurd.
[size=18]
picked ahead of her 2. Jefferson 3. Tuck 4. Banham 5. Powers[/size]

and not only was she passed over four times for clearly inferior players but she was also traded

I don't remember for who but I can't imagine that trade looks good in hindsight.[/quote]

Yes, CT's selections of Tuck and Banham are among the biggest draft busts. They could have selected Jonquel and kept Chelsea. They already had Alyssa Thomas. Can you imagine a team with Chelsea, Jonquel and Alyssa?[/quote]

Could've had Copper in that mix too. The fact that CT had 2 picks and could've had 2 of Jonquel Jones, Kahleah Copper, Aerial Powers, and Courtney Williams is incredible to me. Instead they chose Morgan Tuck who was a huge injury risk from the get go and Rachel Banham (who never came close to being as good as any of the above mentioned players.

Shades

PostPosted: 10/17/22 3:30 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

WNBA Draft Lottery 2023 Presented By State Farm® To Take Place Friday, NOV. 11
https://www.wnba.com/news/wnba-draft-lottery-2023-presented-by-state-farm-to-take-place-friday-nov-11/

Quote:
ESPN2 will air a 30-minute WNBA Draft Lottery special leading into its women’s college basketball game that evening featuring defending National Champion South Carolina at Maryland (6 p.m. ET). WNBA Head of League Operations Bethany Donaphin will reveal the results of the Lottery during ESPN2’s coverage from Bristol, Conn. ESPN networks will present the Draft Lottery for the 11th consecutive year.

The Indiana Fever, Atlanta Dream, Washington Mystics (from Los Angeles via Atlanta), and Minnesota Lynx have qualified for the 22nd annual WNBA Draft Lottery. The winner will secure the top pick in WNBA Draft 2023 presented by State Farm®, which is currently scheduled to take place on Monday, April 10.

Nnekalonians 1:14 - Thou shalt not accept that which is not earned
Shades

PostPosted: 10/23/22 12:07 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

This has nothing to do with 2023 draft, but I thought I’d post something for future consideration. 16 year old Dominique Malonga from France. So maybe the 2027 draft?

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QvVikr03bDs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

willtalk

PostPosted: 10/23/22 3:30 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Yes the Sun could have had both Chelsea Gray and J. Jones on their roster had they not opted for Tuck and used their other pick to draft Jones. However, Ann Donavan did not really like Chelsea an even when their starting PG was injured pushed Chelsea down in the rotatation. Donavan did not like Gray and tha tis one reason they let her go. However, they fired Ann so it would not have mattered if the kept Chelsea.

PostPosted: 10/23/22 3:40 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

barryi22 wrote:
readyAIMfire53 wrote:
J-Spoon wrote:
I didn't know where to put this comment/discussion thought here was as good as any place.

picked ahead of her 2. Jefferson 3. Tuck 4. Banham 5. Powers

I don't remember for who but I can't imagine that trade looks good in hindsight.

Yes, CT's selections of Tuck and Banham are among the biggest draft busts. They could have selected Jonquel and kept Chelsea. They already had Alyssa Thomas. Can you imagine a team with Chelsea, Jonquel and Alyssa?

Could've had Copper in that mix too. The fact that CT had 2 picks and could've had 2 of Jonquel Jones, Kahleah Copper, Aerial Powers, and Courtney Williams is incredible to me. Instead they chose Morgan Tuck who was a huge injury risk from the get go and Rachel Banham (who never came close to being as good as any of the above mentioned players.

Everyone loves the rear-mirror look - from what i have heard, Grey wanted to be in LA, which is how the trade came to be. AT was in place because of the Tina Charles trade, which helped get the picks for the other players. You don't always need superstars, you need role players who can survive - if you look at numbers, very, very few 2nd and 3rd rounders survive after the first year. So stop thinking about the what-ifs - think about the why. Copper did not become a superstar until 2 years ago....people were unsure of her ability to contribute before that time. There are busts in every draft - it is the way the sport works - in the NBA - is Zion a bust? i guess that is TBD - but it is taking a long time to find out. Tuck and Banham could score - inside and outside respectively. Add that to the roster that was evolving, and good things could have happened.

myrtle

PostPosted: 10/23/22 7:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

coulda woulda shoulda

in bball as in life, best to look forward not back.

pilight

PostPosted: 10/24/22 2:54 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/em_adler/status/1584579347267997698

Quote:
Celeste Taylor says she will enter the draft after this season.

PostPosted: 10/24/22 9:35 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

She needs to have a GREAT season in order to be drafted high in the draft.

PostPosted: 10/24/22 11:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:

Quote:

Watching her last year she has the talent, if she has a good year I can see her drafted late first or second round

pilight

PostPosted: 10/25/22 3:50 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/AlexSimonSports/status/1585000718699618304

Quote:
One of the more fascinating 2023 WNBA Draft questions was if Cameron Brink, who is eligible to enter *by a single day* as a New Year's Eve baby, would declare.

PostPosted: 10/25/22 6:59 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

I never really expected Brink to declare early. Along with her exceptional basketball skills she basically looks like an instagram model, so I imagine she's making a (relative) fortune from NIL deals. Along with Bueckers she might be one of the first who are making so much in college that it influences not needing to turn pro for the cash.

PostPosted: 10/25/22 7:34 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
https://twitter.com/AlexSimonSports/status/1585000718699618304

Quote:
One of the more fascinating 2023 WNBA Draft questions was if Cameron Brink, who is eligible to enter *by a single day* as a New Year's Eve baby, would declare.

She's staying all 4 years. I can't wait til she enters though . My favorite post in college basketball right now. She's tough and does not back down i love it.

PostPosted: 10/25/22 9:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
Along with her exceptional basketball skills she basically looks like an instagram model

that one dude who posts mostly in Area 51 would probably agree with this

pilight

PostPosted: 10/25/22 10:09 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:
I never really expected Brink to declare early. Along with her exceptional basketball skills she basically looks like an instagram model, so I imagine she's making a (relative) fortune from NIL deals. Along with Bueckers she might be one of the first who are making so much in college that it influences not needing to turn pro for the cash.

It pays to be blonde...

PostPosted: 10/25/22 11:12 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Brink is probably looking forward to getting six fouls per forty minutes.
Shades

PostPosted: 10/28/22 6:49 pm    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Sedona Prince's elbow injury ends college career at Oregon
https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/34896879

Quote:
"I'm heartbroken," Prince said in a statement released by Oregon on Friday. "I truly felt that this was the year I could showcase my work ethic and skills on the court, but also my self-growth and leadership ability."

The 6-foot-7 forward said she tried to push through the injury to play this season, but after extensive medical evaluation, she decided it was best to prepare for the future.

"I know that I have to take care my elbow now in order to ensure long-term health and a sustained professional career," Prince said. "Not being able to play with my teammates this year is painful and tragic for me. However, I'm so grateful for the entire community of Eugene for their continued support and inspiration to always push forward through adversity."

ucbart

PostPosted: 10/29/22 6:17 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

It pays to be blonde...

And there is nothing wrong with that.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/29/22 10:43 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

Richyyy wrote:

That Stanford diploma is going to be worth more than either another year of NIL money or of WNBA salary.

FrozenLVFan

PostPosted: 10/29/22 10:44 am    ::: Reply Reply with quote

pilight wrote:
Richyyy wrote:

It pays to be blonde...

Or the rest of us can pay to become blonde.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    RebKell's Junkie Boards Forum Index » WNBA All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 7 of 26

Jump to: